PDA

View Full Version : Steelers re-signed OL Ramon Foster

polamalubeast
03-11-2013, 01:02 PM
Steelers reached agreement on a three-year contract with G Ramon Foster.

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/311174996670152704

Dwinsgames
03-11-2013, 01:18 PM
this is the BEST news of the off season !!!

Bluecoat96
03-11-2013, 01:25 PM
I wonder if this spells the end for Mr. Colon.

Steeltreal
03-11-2013, 01:46 PM
Or bye bye Legursky

zulater
03-11-2013, 02:04 PM
Or bye bye Legursky

Colon or Legursky, one or the other wont be coming back now I would assume?

If they are thinking of cutting Colon this was a move that had to be made first.

GBMelBlount
03-11-2013, 02:09 PM
C O O L.

I hope we keep legursky.

Just sayin.

86WARD
03-11-2013, 02:22 PM
Colon wouldn't be cut until after June 1, I believe. I think they get way more money back cutting him then opposed to cutting him now. But it makes you wonder...

TMC
03-11-2013, 02:34 PM
Colon wouldn't be cut until after June 1, I believe. I think they get way more money back cutting him then opposed to cutting him now. But it makes you wonder...

Does not matter when they release him. They can designate him a July 1st release. They would still carry his salary against the cap like he was on roster until July 1st, then it would act as if they released him then. They agreed to this a while ago so it did not hinder the players when it comes to finding a new team.

If he were released today, the Steelers save $1.2M against the 2013 cap with a big chunk next season. If it is a 7/1 release, they open the full $5.5M this season and $3.4M next season. The prudent move would be to make him a 7/1 release. That way, you operate business as usual right now and then get room for the rookies and other moves for later in the season. Then, if you do not spend the $5.5M in cap space, you roll it into 2014. That is what I would do.

Austin87
03-11-2013, 03:34 PM
Does not matter when they release him. They can designate him a July 1st release. They would still carry his salary against the cap like he was on roster until July 1st, then it would act as if they released him then. They agreed to this a while ago so it did not hinder the players when it comes to finding a new team.

If he were released today, the Steelers save $1.2M against the 2013 cap with a big chunk next season. If it is a 7/1 release, they open the full $5.5M this season and $3.4M next season. The prudent move would be to make him a 7/1 release. That way, you operate business as usual right now and then get room for the rookies and other moves for later in the season. Then, if you do not spend the $5.5M in cap space, you roll it into 2014. That is what I would do.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Glad about the Foster signing. Anyone know any details about the amount of money he got?

Craic
03-11-2013, 03:39 PM
Great signing. Move him to left guard, and if you're cap allows it, keep Colon on in backup duty. The dude can play four out of the five positions on the line. Leg. needs to be kept for center, because the LAST thing I want is a repeat of the Mahan/Hartwig fiasco, and Legursky beats both of the by a MILE. He's also a decent third choice at guard (no, not second string, he's not good enough for that, I'm talking third string).

Psycho Ward 86
03-11-2013, 03:40 PM

cool, didnt know that!

and holy fucking shit. this is some awesome news. Guess this definitely means bye to some of our biggest free agents like keenan lewis. hope we can lockdown some of the cheaper but useful free agents like legursky as well

st33lersguy
03-11-2013, 03:43 PM
It was a move that had to be made and also surely will eliminate guard as a top priority on draft day

Psycho Ward 86
03-11-2013, 04:34 PM
It was a move that had to be made and also surely will eliminate guard as a top priority on draft day

not necessarily. if we plan on cutting colon on 7/1 and dont get legursky under contract then all of a sudden were potentially still thin at guard. even if we get legursky signed he's only been good as a fill in at center and not as a guard. wonder if the front office thinks beachum can be a good G/T swingman for us...?

Craic
03-11-2013, 04:38 PM
cool, didnt know that!

and holy fucking shit. this is some awesome news. Guess this definitely means bye to some of our biggest free agents like keenan lewis. hope we can lockdown some of the cheaper but useful free agents like legursky as well

Actually, I'm not so sure it does mean goodbye to Lewis. Least I hope not. I've been typing in a couple other places this afternoon how I'd love to see Colon stay, but if we can release him to keep Lewis, I think that's a great trade. I could see a contract being hammered out, and then held on to until Colon leaves.

Which brings up another question - what is the cap hit if Colon is traded?

TMC
03-11-2013, 05:55 PM
Which brings up another question - what is the cap hit if Colon is traded?

If he is traded now, it is like you cut him now. It would open $1.2M this season but open a lot next season.

Here is the thing, prior to signing Foster, they were $5M under. It all depends on how big a hit Foster has. I can show you how they can work a $7-8M a year deal for Lewis and fit him easily under $3M in cap space this season. Not that hard really.

I do not think this closes any doors. In fact, I would think it opens them. Every cheaper free agent you add now means you have a decent body in place. It means when you hit the draft, if you have backfilled ALL the holes (not arguing talent, but holes), then it means you can focus solely on talent.

The key in ANY draft is to get talent, not positions. The players you draft, if they have talent, will be here 4 seasons or longer. If they fit a need and lack talent, they do not make it that long. Always take the talent.

Psycho Ward 86
03-11-2013, 06:01 PM
If he is traded now, it is like you cut him now. It would open $1.2M this season but open a lot next season.

Here is the thing, prior to signing Foster, they were $5M under. It all depends on how big a hit Foster has. I can show you how they can work a $7-8M a year deal for Lewis and fit him easily under $3M in cap space this season. Not that hard really.

I do not think this closes any doors. In fact, I would think it opens them. Every cheaper free agent you add now means you have a decent body in place. It means when you hit the draft, if you have backfilled ALL the holes (not arguing talent, but holes), then it means you can focus solely on talent.

The key in ANY draft is to get talent, not positions. The players you draft, if they have talent, will be here 4 seasons or longer. If they fit a need and lack talent, they do not make it that long. Always take the talent.

1) How much would it open?

2) What would be the difference in how much releasing Colon opens if he is released on 7/1?

3) Awesome, i would love to see how we could sign keenan with so little money

4) Why do you not post here more often????

salamander
03-11-2013, 06:20 PM
Sounds good to me.

TMC
03-11-2013, 08:15 PM
1) How much would it open?

2) What would be the difference in how much releasing Colon opens if he is released on 7/1?

3) Awesome, i would love to see how we could sign keenan with so little money

4) Why do you not post here more often????

1. If he is released or traded today, it opens @$1.2M in 2013, $7.65M in 2014, and $8.125M in 2015.

2. It is 6/1, not sure why I put 7/1, but if he is designated a June 1st release or released after June 1st, the cap savings are $5.5M in 2013, $3.35M in 2014, and $8.125M in 2015. The difference is $4.4M and whether it hits in 2013 or 2014. Cut him before June 1st, it hits now. After, it hits in 2014.

3. Okay, assume we sign Keenan Lewis to a 6 year, $48M deal. His initial signing bonus would be $10M. That is what we pay him today. His 2013 salary would be $1M. That puts $11M in his pocket today. I give him $5M as an option bonus in 2014. The years would look like this:
2013-$2M signing bonus (prorates over 5 years)+$1M salary=$3M cap hit.
2014-$2M SB+$1M option bonus (prorates over 5 years)+$4.5M salary=$7.5M cap hit
2015-$3M bonus (the 2 bonuses together)+$5.5 salary=$8.5M cap hit
2016-$3M bonus+$6M salary=$9M cap hit
2017-$3M bonus+$7M salary=$10M cap hit
2018-$1M bonus (the $10M initial bonus is over)+$9M salary=$10M cap hit

Three seasons in, you only have $7M in a cap hit if he is released because you kept the signing bonus down. And, that is $8M per season. I think there is a chance you can get him for less.

4. I get busy. I post on other boards. I have some ties to some other guys....long story. Right now, I am so consumed with getting the 2013 version of my draft book out, I do not post much anywhere. But, I have some time while I am loading film of players.

86WARD
03-11-2013, 10:54 PM
That's basically what I said in less words.

If they release him now, they eat $6.45 million in dead money with a 2013 cap saving of $1.2 million.

They could give him a post June 1st designation and save $5.5 million in 2013 but that wouldn't happen until June 2nd. They'd have over $4M in dead money in 2014.

The designation is usually a courtesy to the player.

So basically they decide if they eat the dead money now or later...

86WARD
03-11-2013, 10:55 PM
1. If he is released or traded today, it opens @$1.2M in 2013, $7.65M in 2014, and $8.125M in 2015.

2. It is 6/1, not sure why I put 7/1, but if he is designated a June 1st release or released after June 1st, the cap savings are $5.5M in 2013, $3.35M in 2014, and $8.125M in 2015. The difference is $4.4M and whether it hits in 2013 or 2014. Cut him before June 1st, it hits now. After, it hits in 2014.

3. Okay, assume we sign Keenan Lewis to a 6 year, $48M deal. His initial signing bonus would be $10M. That is what we pay him today. His 2013 salary would be $1M. That puts $11M in his pocket today. I give him $5M as an option bonus in 2014. The years would look like this:
2013-$2M signing bonus (prorates over 5 years)+$1M salary=$3M cap hit.
2014-$2M SB+$1M option bonus (prorates over 5 years)+$4.5M salary=$7.5M cap hit
2015-$3M bonus (the 2 bonuses together)+$5.5 salary=$8.5M cap hit
2016-$3M bonus+$6M salary=$9M cap hit
2017-$3M bonus+$7M salary=$10M cap hit
2018-$1M bonus (the $10M initial bonus is over)+$9M salary=$10M cap hit

Three seasons in, you only have $7M in a cap hit if he is released because you kept the signing bonus down. And, that is $8M per season. I think there is a chance you can get him for less.

4. I get busy. I post on other boards. I have some ties to some other guys....long story. Right now, I am so consumed with getting the 2013 version of my draft book out, I do not post much anywhere. But, I have some time while I am loading film of players.

Good stuff there!!

cold-hard-steel
03-11-2013, 11:18 PM
Fan since you have never let me down before . Well you know what i mean . Some day the name will stick . What was it ? the Mach iv ? post it so i can see it and marvel at how the years have finally progressed . Thank you sir !!!

steelreserve
03-12-2013, 01:21 AM
Wow, I wasn't aware they would actually save money by getting rid of Colon. I thought his dead money number was way higher.

I do hope we keep Legursky, though. Since Pouncey's M.O. is to miss 2-3 games and parts of a couple more every year with a high ankle sprain, we need someone else who can play center well, and I don't see anyone else around who can do it.

zulater
03-12-2013, 05:12 AM
Personally I still hope they keep Colon. He was playing some nasty guard before he got his knee messed up by Thuggs. And as Preacher said, with him gone, so went our running game.

GBMelBlount
03-12-2013, 07:44 AM
Colon is not worth it unless he can be had VERY cheap.

zulater
03-12-2013, 07:47 AM
Colon is not worth it unless he can be had VERY cheap.

He provided the Steelers with the best play they've got at left guard since 2006 from weeks 3-8. If you can get 16 games of that he's more than worth the money he's scheduled to get.

fansince'76
03-12-2013, 07:54 AM
Fan since you have never let me down before . Well you know what i mean . Some day the name will stick . What was it ? the Mach iv ? post it so i can see it and marvel at how the years have finally progressed . Thank you sir !!!

That was "Mach V."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auszi9bUr3o

:chuckle:

TMC
03-12-2013, 09:47 AM
They got Ramon Foster for 3 years, $6M with $900k to sign. That is backup money. If he starts, he is one of the cheaper starters in the league. Surprised really. At worst, Foster could have gotten the minimum, which should be @$700k. He turned down free agency for another million and change. Tells me a couple things about Foster. First, he is happy where he is. Second, he knows a bird in hand beats two in the bush. Third, he is not dumb.

I like smart linemen even if they are not the most athletically gifted. Smart players find ways.

TMC
03-12-2013, 09:53 AM
Let me also add, the Steelers were estimated to be @$5M under the cap prior to this signing. I would estimate that the first year salary is $700k, his signing bonus prorates to $300k, so Foster knocks that down to $4M. Woodley restructured saving just over $4M in cap space. The Steelers tendered 4 guys at $1.3M minus $400k for displacement for a total of $3.6M in cap space. So, the Steelers should be @$4M under.

I think if they sign Lewis, you see Colon designated as a 6/1 release.

Psycho Ward 86
03-12-2013, 10:50 AM
wait woodley restructured?

TMC
03-12-2013, 11:33 AM
Yes, today. They also announced that Colon has been released. Designated a June 1st cut.

- - - Updated - - -

Steelers are estimated to be $5.8M under the cap with $5.5M more coming from Colon in June.

Psycho Ward 86
03-12-2013, 11:43 AM
ah i see it now: http://www.steelersdepot.com/2013/03/steelers-restructure-contract-of-lb-lamarr-woodley-to-clear-3-6-million-in-cap-space/

GBMelBlount
03-12-2013, 12:03 PM
He provided the Steelers with the best play they've got at left guard since 2006 from weeks 3-8.

If you can get 16 games of that he's more than worth the money he's scheduled to get.

Mighty big if. lol.

86WARD
03-12-2013, 12:27 PM
Yes, today. They also announced that Colon has been released. Designated a June 1st cut.

- - - Updated - - -

Steelers are estimated to be $5.8M under the cap with $5.5M more coming from Colon in June.

That's great news.