PDA

View Full Version : Too much focus on the negative among Steeler fans.

zulater
03-11-2013, 09:11 AM
I'm not calling anyone bandwagon fans, I'm not saying you're not a real fan if you're not waving the poms poms. But how about a little perspective? Yes the Steelers have made some recent mistakes in the draft and with their cap management. Yes those mistakes could come back and bite them next season, the season after, whatever. (But that's far from a given.)

Regardless I'm not here to defend every decision that's been made. But what I will defend is the people who make those decisions and their thought process at the time when they made them. When you operate in the here and now you don't have benifit of that wonderfull little thing I call hindsight. Many of the same people who are crucifying the Steelers braintrust now for questionable draft day decisions also skewered them in 2003 when they traded up for Troy Polamalu. What a stupid move trading up for a safety they claimed. Some dude, I can't remember his name, was suppodedly every bit as good as Troy, and some"smart" team drafted him in the 2nd round! :horror:

Speaking of Troy. To the same people who are crying about how screwed up our salary cap is, what would you have said if the Steelers had let Troy go before the 2010 season? You think we end up in SB 45 without Troy? If not, you can't see where extending him is partly to blame where we are cap wise now?

Reading this site lately you'd think we were talking about the Chiefs, Lions, or Browns. Not about a team that's been more successfull than any team in the league since the AFL-NFL merger. Not about a team that's had only 3 losing seasons in the past 20 years. Reading this site lately you'd think the opposite in fact, that we'd only had 3 winning seasons in 20 years instead.

Sorry but to me this is like complaining about your super model wife who's a gourmet chef, excellent mother, and has an overzelous appetite for monagamous sex, because she bounced a couple checks!

Carry on though if it makes you happy.:applaudit:I just felt like this needed to be said. :smoker:

steelerdude15
03-11-2013, 09:18 AM
I'm not calling anyone bandwagon fans, I'm not saying you're not a real fan if you're not waving the poms poms. But how about a little perspective? Yes the Steelers have made some recent mistakes in the draft and with their cap management. Yes those mistakes could come back and bite them next season, the season after, whatever. (But that's far from a given.)

Regardless I'm not here to defend every decision that's been made. But what I will defend is the people who make those decisions and their thought process at the time when they made them. When you operate in the here and now you don't have benifit of that wonderfull little thing I call hindsight. Many of the same people who are crucifying the Steelers braintrust now for questionable draft day decisions also skewered them in 2003 when they traded up for Troy Polamalu. What a stupid move trading up for a safety they claimed. Some dude, I can't remember his name, was suppodedly every bit as good as Troy, and some"smart" team drafted him in the 2nd round! :horror:

Speaking of Troy. To the same people who are crying about how screwed up our salary cap is, what would you have said if the Steelers had let Troy go before the 2010 season? You think we end up in SB 45 without Troy? If not, you can't see where extending him is partly to blame where we are cap wise now?

Reading this site lately you'd think we were talking about the Chiefs, Lions, or Browns. Not about a team that's been more successfull than any team in the league since the AFL-NFL merger. Not about a team that's had only 3 losing seasons in the past 20 years. Reading this site lately you'd think the opposite in fact, that we'd only had 3 winning seasons in 20 years instead.

Sorry but to me this is like complaining about your super model wife who's a gourmet chef, excellent mother, and has an overzelous appetite for monagamous sex, because she bounced a couple checks!

Carry on though if it makes you happy.:applaudit:I just felt like this needed to be said. :smoker:

:rofl2:

NJarhead
03-11-2013, 09:23 AM
haha. I love the analogy.

I ALWAYS think we're going to have a good season. However, we don't always do. This year, I'm wondering if we may go 6-10. I won't be surprised, but no, my mind set is not that the sky is falling. I don't think there is a better team in the NFL at being consistent contenders than the Steelers.

So, IMO, we may have a losing season depending on who we have and how they perform. I think this because I just don't really know what we've got. Who really does?
On the other hand, this organization has made me feel pleasantly surprised many times so...., I'll be donning my jerseys and terrible towel on game day on 2013 just as I've done for many years now.

my $0.02

zulater
03-11-2013, 09:28 AM
The draft, free agency, the salary cap, everything that goes into roster make up is like a high stakes game of poker. Not everyone is dealt the same hand. So you have to play the cards you're dealt the best you can as you get them. The Steelers have done this about as well as anyone. How can I tell? Success. Bottom line at the end of the game it's all about winning. The ones who walk away with the most at the end of the night are the win ners. Period. Doesn't matter how you got there. Maybe you misplayed a few hands, over, or under-estimated your opponents hand a few times. Got bluffed, miscalulated a pot, but if you walk away a winner 8 out 10 times none of your rivals would dispute you're a pretty damn good card player. .

zulater
03-11-2013, 09:35 AM
Another thing. To those that suggest the Steelers should win just about every year because they have a franchise qb, and that makes it all so easy.

So what became of that Packer dynasty? How many playoff games have they won since SB 45? Hell you can make a case the Packers have had the best sustained quarterbacking in the league since 1992. So what's that got them in the way of Super Bowls? And hey 2 Super Bowl wins isn't bad. Not saying that at all. But if it was just as easy as some think the Packers would have more than 2 Super Bowl wins in the past 20 odd years.

NJarhead
03-11-2013, 09:40 AM
Another thing. To those that suggest the Steelers should win just about every year because they have a franchise qb, and that makes it all so easy.

So what became of that Packer dynasty? How many playoff games have they won since SB 45? Hell you can make a case the Packers have had the best sustained quarterbacking in the league since 1992. So what's that got them in the way of Super Bowls? And hey 2 Super Bowl wins isn't bad. Not saying that at all. But if it was just as easy as some think the Packers would have more than 2 Super Bowl wins in the past 20 odd years.

On the other hand, we have a franchise QB and the #1 Defense and still missed the playoffs.
Injuries played a role and then a drop off in performance by different players in different games at inopportune times (including said QB in week 16). But, meh, shit happens and life goes on. I'm sure the Pack (and everyone else) has a similar story.

fansince'76
03-11-2013, 11:00 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kowv6l2CBD0

:chuckle:

NJarhead
03-11-2013, 11:06 AM
I guess we find out tomorrow which RFA's we'll tender?

Anyone else as high on Steve McClendon as I am?

Devilsdancefloor
03-11-2013, 11:14 AM
I and a few others probably go through a OMG moment when Harrison or any other player gets cut, it takes a few days or a few weeks depending on the player (it took me a month or longer when woodson signed with the 9ers), but we all realize hey the steelers have done this 1000 times before and id say 50% to 60 % of the time they come out smelling like roses. We will be OK and the deep down all the steelers fans thinks we will. so i think it is best to just let those fans blow off some steam for a few weeks. (buit if he signs with the ratbirds i might have to go kick the neighbors dog :lol:)

- - - Updated - - -

I guess we find out tomorrow which RFA's we'll tender?

Anyone else as high on Steve McClendon as I am?

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/66718/steelers-put-low-tender-on-steve-mclendon

RB Jonathan Dwyer: Original round (sixth round)
P Jeremy Kapinos: No tender
NT Steve McLendon: Right of first refusal (no compensation)
RB Isaac Redman: Right of first refusal (no compensation)
LB Stevenson Sylvester: No tender
WR Emmanuel Sanders: Original round (third round)

NJarhead
03-11-2013, 12:12 PM
I and a few others probably go through a OMG moment when Harrison or any other player gets cut, it takes a few days or a few weeks depending on the player (it took me a month or longer when woodson signed with the 9ers), but we all realize hey the steelers have done this 1000 times before and id say 50% to 60 % of the time they come out smelling like roses. We will be OK and the deep down all the steelers fans thinks we will. so i think it is best to just let those fans blow off some steam for a few weeks. (buit if he signs with the ratbirds i might have to go kick the neighbors dog :lol:)

- - - Updated - - -

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/66718/steelers-put-low-tender-on-steve-mclendon

RB Jonathan Dwyer: Original round (sixth round)
P Jeremy Kapinos: No tender
NT Steve McLendon: Right of first refusal (no compensation)
RB Isaac Redman: Right of first refusal (no compensation)
LB Stevenson Sylvester: No tender
WR Emmanuel Sanders: Original round (third round)

Ugh. I try not to second guess the FO. They're the experts afterall. But I read how much they like a guy, I see how well he does on the field with my own eyes, and then we put forth little-to-no effort to keep him. I just don't get it. Unless of course they know they can keep him on the cheap or are using FA to find out what he's worth. That's about all that makes sense to me.

Dwinsgames
03-11-2013, 12:26 PM
there is nothing hindsight about looking at the Roster and seeing Willie Colon on it ( with a cap hit of 5.5 million ) and he was never asked to take a pay cut and contributed all of 13 games played in the last 3 years combined ...

then looking and seeing Harrison cut over what amounts to 2 million a year in team / player difference in opinion and Harrison was scheduled to make just slightly more than the non productive Colon ...

that is not hindsight that is every day facts before / during and after the Harrison release ....

sure I know if they had cut Colon outright he would have only saved 1.2 mill against the cap but they probably could have asked him to take a 1.2 mil cut and kept him and then asked Harrison to take a 800k cut instead of 2 mill and perhaps kept him as well ....

they also could have asked the top 8 players ( Not including Harrison to take a 100k cut to help retain James ) and my guess is the first 8 guys they asked would have said Hell yes !!

is the sky falling you ask ... NO , however it is sure gloomy looking outside

Dino 6 Rings
03-11-2013, 12:27 PM
I think dropping Wallace and Harrison off the roster helps shake up the "humdrum" that has been created around this team. The expectaion of "winning" by just showing up. I'm tired of losing to the teams we should beat. That's laziness in the locker room. I say shake it up, bring in some new faces, some Hungry faces that aren't content on the past but are focussed on winning now.

That said, Wallace was apparently a cancer, he held out, he didn't play well, and complained often. He needed to shut up and show up on game day. He didn't, good bye.

Harrison, he's an aging outside linebacker, we tend to cut them about now anyway.

Offensively, the Oline looks ok, just needs to stay healthy. The TE Miller is a stud but he needs a partner. WR, we have a pretty good group, if we keep Cotchery not sure if we are or not, but still, its not bad and should be good enough to generate plays and good offensive drives. Biggest worry for me on Offense is Running Back. We need a fcking stud and not some "could be" type player. I don't think we can afford one in free agency, so maybe another 1st rounder might be the way to go here, if we can jump up and grab the BEST RB in the draft, and don't settle for 2nd best.

Defense. Our D-line is coming into its own, Hayward will be good, we are going to need to contract him long term, I can feel he has great potential for a long time. Hood isn't great, but he can get the job done. Inside Linebacker Timmons is a maniac, I loved how he played last year when he played without thinking and just reacted. Secondary, we still need a corner, so hopefully we can sign lewis and lock that down. Safeties, Clark and Troy if healthy are dominating.

We aren't awful, we need a couple pieces to get back to the Steelers that beat the teams they should and then beat the teams that are also Playoff teams.

Anyway...that's my take at this point.

NJarhead
03-11-2013, 12:30 PM
I think dropping Wallace and Harrison off the roster helps shake up the "humdrum" that has been created around this team. The expectaion of "winning" by just showing up. I'm tired of losing to the teams we should beat. That's laziness in the locker room. I say shake it up, bring in some new faces, some Hungry faces that aren't content on the past but are focussed on winning now.

That said, Wallace was apparently a cancer, he held out, he didn't play well, and complained often. He needed to shut up and show up on game day. He didn't, good bye.

Harrison, he's an aging outside linebacker, we tend to cut them about now anyway.

Offensively, the Oline looks ok, just needs to stay healthy. The TE Miller is a stud but he needs a partner. WR, we have a pretty good group, if we keep Cotchery not sure if we are or not, but still, its not bad and should be good enough to generate plays and good offensive drives. Biggest worry for me on Offense is Running Back. We need a fcking stud and not some "could be" type player. I don't think we can afford one in free agency, so maybe another 1st rounder might be the way to go here, if we can jump up and grab the BEST RB in the draft, and don't settle for 2nd best.

Defense. Our D-line is coming into its own, Hayward will be good, we are going to need to contract him long term, I can feel he has great potential for a long time. Hood isn't great, but he can get the job done. Inside Linebacker Timmons is a maniac, I loved how he played last year when he played without thinking and just reacted. Secondary, we still need a corner, so hopefully we can sign lewis and lock that down. Safeties, Clark and Troy if healthy are dominating.

We aren't awful, we need a couple pieces to get back to the Steelers that beat the teams they should and then beat the teams that are also Playoff teams.

Anyway...that's my take at this point.

WTF have YOU been???? haha

zulater
03-11-2013, 01:57 PM
there is nothing hindsight about looking at the Roster and seeing Willie Colon on it ( with a cap hit of 5.5 million ) and he was never asked to take a pay cut and contributed all of 13 games played in the last 3 years combined ...

then looking and seeing Harrison cut over what amounts to 2 million a year in team / player difference in opinion and Harrison was scheduled to make just slightly more than the non productive Colon ...

that is not hindsight that is every day facts before / during and after the Harrison release ....

sure I know if they had cut Colon outright he would have only saved 1.2 mill against the cap but they probably could have asked him to take a 1.2 mil cut and kept him and then asked Harrison to take a 800k cut instead of 2 mill and perhaps kept him as well ....

they also could have asked the top 8 players ( Not including Harrison to take a 100k cut to help retain James ) and my guess is the first 8 guys they asked would have said Hell yes !!

is the sky falling you ask ... NO , however it is sure gloomy looking outside

A few points. Since none of the injuries Colon has suffered in the past 3 seasons are even remotely connected, maybe they view his recent spate of injuries as more unlucky than anything and feel that he's just as likely to play 16 next season as he was in his first four years as a Steeler, when he never missed a game.

So maybe in their opinion ( this is my guess, not actually their known opinion) they see the likelyhood of Colon playing the majority of games next season as being a lot greater than Harrison playing the majority of games next season.

Remember it's not what they have done that's important for the 2013 season, it's what they'll do that counts. So even if Harrison currently seems healthy, a faulty knee and back for a 35 year old tends to repeat itself.

And yes I know Colon hurt his kneee last year. But it was an injury incurred from a cheap shot, not one from general wear and tear like Harrison's was, so the chances of Colon's injury reoccurence aren't as great.

In the end as always I trust the Steelers judgement more than I do message board posters and other pundits opinions on how they handle their affiars.

Now as far their possibly being cloudy skies ahead. So what if there is? After so many sunny days you have to expect the occasional storm. But if you're living in Hawaii or Florida you know the bad weather is only temporary. So you suck it up and deal with the gloomy days when they come because you know you're in a place where they tend not to last.

Of course after finding out that Foster has been resigned it occurs to me that Colon still might be cut. And according to Ward86 they would gain the most cap benifit if they made that cut after June 1. So either way it reaffirms the opinion that the Steelers know their business better than we do. And Colon and Harrison's situation aren't even remotely relatable as to cap purposes.

Craic
03-11-2013, 03:46 PM
A few points. Since none of the injuries Colon has suffered in the past 3 seasons are even remotely connected, maybe they view his recent spate of injuries as more unlucky than anything and feel that he's just as likely to play 16 next season as he was in his first four years as a Steeler, when he never missed a game.

So maybe in their opinion ( this is my guess, not actually their known opinion) they see the likelyhood of Colon playing the majority of games next season as being a lot greater than Harrison playing the majority of games next season.

Remember it's not what they have done that's important for the 2013 season, it's what they'll do that counts. So even if Harrison currently seems healthy, a faulty knee and back for a 35 year old tends to repeat itself.

And yes I know Colon hurt his kneee last year. But it was an injury incurred from a cheap shot, not one from general wear and tear like Harrison's was, so the chances of Colon's injury reoccurence aren't as great.

In the end as always I trust the Steelers judgement more than I do message board posters and other pundits opinions on how they handle their affiars.

Now as far their possibly being cloudy skies ahead. So what if there is? After so many sunny days you have to expect the occasional storm. But if you're living in Hawaii or Florida you know the bad weather is only temporary. So you suck it up and deal with the gloomy days when they come because you know you're in a place where they tend not to last.

Of course after finding out that Foster has been resigned it occurs to me that Colon still might be cut. And according to Ward86 they would gain the most cap benifit if they made that cut after June 1. So either way it reaffirms the opinion that the Steelers know their business better than we do. And Colon and Harrison's situation aren't even remotely relatable as to cap purposes.

Only thing I disagree with here is that Colon's injury wasn't from a cheap shot. It was a good play to take the legs out of from a blocker trying to come around and seal a hole. They always say, "go for the legs" and that's exactly what he did.

Anyway, beyond that, I think your pretty much right. I do hope Colon stays this year. When he went down, our run game went down with him. Even if Foster can beat him out this year, the fact is, with all the injuries this team sees on the O line, it'd be stupid to get rid of a guy that we know can play at a high level, and can continue to play at that level for some time to come.

And that's the difference between him and Harrison. With Harrison's age, there's a very good chance that he doesn't play at a high level more than another year or so.

blackngldblood
03-11-2013, 04:24 PM
we all just need a little of this in our lives.........

http://youtu.be/S5RH9n_ADe8

You know what comes after clouds and raining and falling skies? sunshine. Lets leave the doomporn for conspiracy theorists........

Dino 6 Rings
03-11-2013, 04:38 PM
WTF have YOU been???? haha

been laying low...but a Super Bowl Loss into a Playoff Loss into an 8-8 season will do that to a guy...then a Ravens vs 49ers Super Bowl...only a Patriots Cowboys Super Bowl would have been worse.

But I'll be around...thanks for caring :)

Psycho Ward 86
03-11-2013, 05:44 PM
i dont see whats wrong with being critical of a good team that had a messy season. Good teams know life isnt all sunshine and rainbows. Good teams get their shit together after a bad season. Looks a lot like what were doing. More power to us

Shoes
03-11-2013, 08:21 PM
i dont see whats wrong with being critical of a good team that had a messy season. Good teams know life isnt all sunshine and rainbows. Good teams get their shit together after a bad season. Looks a lot like what were doing. More power to us

There isn't anything wrong with it if positive steps are taken and lessons are learned.

Mamaduck43
03-12-2013, 10:08 AM
I hate to see my favorites head into retirement or elsewhere, but, with a few exceptions, I have faith that the powers that be make calculated decisions on the cuts, and for the most part the next year or two supports what has been done.... This past season was one of the hardest that I have lived through - - we seemed right on the cusp of turning things around so many times and it was like there was an underlying 'something' that was causing failure.... The decision makers have much more knowledge of what's going on, and I trust their wisdom.... I have to....

The next few weeks and months should be interesting.... And I am ready for some Steelers football - - and ready to learn some new names, faces and numbers.....