PDA

View Full Version : Over past 3 years, no one has restructured more contracts than Steelers

Count Steeler
03-10-2013, 02:17 PM
The Steelers are all in, and there doesn't appear to be an end in sight.

The team has been leading the charge of restructuring the contracts of young, high salary-cap stars to get into compliance with the recent trend of a flat salary cap since the NFL lockout 19 months ago.

It's a change in behavior, if not philosophy, for a franchise that seldom seemed to need tweaking of its financial books.

The Steelers restructured three of their top salary cap players recently — Ben Roethlisberger, Antonio Brown, Lawrence Timmons — that pushed $14 million into future years to get into cap compliance before the Tuesday deadline.

It hasn't been just the Steelers. More than 15 restructures have taken place during the past two weeks around the NFL, including seven in Dallas.

“It just seems like a lot of teams are doing it nowadays,” veteran Pittsburgh-based agent Ralph Cindrich said. “Really, it has been around since the start of free agency in 1994. There would be always a restructure of contracts in order to create cap room.”

The Steelers are among the leaders in restructuring contracts since the lockout ended in August 2011, when the cap dropped $3 million after the uncapped 2010 season.

They have reworked 13 deals — Roethlisberger three times; Timmons twice; Brown, Heath Miller, Chris Kemoeatu, James Harrison, Brett Keisel, LaMarr Woodley, Ike Taylor, Willie Colon once — that pushed $54.7 million into future years.

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/3568268-74/cap-million-steelers#ixzz2NAMRSqka
Follow us: @triblive on Twitter | triblive on Facebook

Psycho Ward 86
03-10-2013, 02:23 PM
such a shocking revelation. and we can continue to be #1 in that category because the steelers front office has a crystal ball that tells them how much the salary cap increases by each year so that they can adjust accordingly :)

fansince'76
03-10-2013, 02:29 PM
It's a change in behavior, if not philosophy, for a franchise that seldom seemed to need tweaking of its financial books.

Absolutely wrong. The Steelers' philosophy for years has been predicated on a salary cap that rose by a fairly healthy amount every year (link (http://nflcommunications.com/2010/02/24/year-by-year-salary-cap/)). The rash of restructures has been necessitated by the flat salary cap that has been in place since the new CBA went into effect. This year's cap is just now returning to the level it was in 2009. Hoping the new TV contracts provide a much-needed (by the Steelers, at least) boost in the cap.

BlastFurnace
03-10-2013, 02:34 PM
Doesn't paint a very bright future for this franchise.

I honestly don't see a way out of it to stop doing this either for them.

cold-hard-steel
03-10-2013, 03:42 PM
Im sorry about all the salary caps , and everything that is entailed to comply . I have to take a Tomlinism and say.......when i go to work every day i pass six lombardies , not six rushing titles , or even six restructured contracts, Man this sucks , but it is what it is .

stillers4me
03-10-2013, 06:06 PM
I think it just a direct reflection of 3 superbowl appearances and those players outplaying their rookie contracts and expecting to get paid. And the paycheck of a franchise quarterback, which many teams only wished they had.

Watch for the Ravens to go through some cap hell in the not so distant future.

zulater
03-10-2013, 06:45 PM
I think it just a direct reflection of 3 superbowl appearances and those players outplaying their rookie contracts and expecting to get paid. And the paycheck of a franchise quarterback, which many teams only wished had.

Nice to see some reason being applied here. Not a whole lot of that going around lately, sorry to say.

Craic
03-10-2013, 07:18 PM
Nice to see some reason being applied here. Not a whole lot of that going around lately, sorry to say.

I gotta agree.Stillers4me is exactly right. It was all about keeping a team together and trying to go to a fourth SB. It didn't happen, so over the last couple years the players are being let go and we're gearing up for another run.

BlastFurnace
03-10-2013, 08:50 PM
I don't have a problem with purging of old veterans who can't play any longer. Although, I don't think that Harrison was one of them.

My main problem is with all the restructuring of contracts. Any way you try to spin it, $54 million into future years is not good for the future of this franchise.

TMC
03-10-2013, 09:36 PM
My main problem is with all the restructuring of contracts. Any way you try to spin it, $54 million into future years is not good for the future of this franchise.

I hear statements like this all the time and, to be honest, it really does not encompass the whole salary cap picture. To state that $54M into future years is not good is a narrow view. It does not include all the other moves made that help clear up space in the future. Allow me to explain.

The Steelers had a method. They knew, as should anyone, that the cap rose annually by 5-7%, usually closer to 7%. The Steelers built their contracts and salary cap to mirror that rise. In 2010, when there was not a cap, the Steelers estimated salary cap was $129M. I pointed this out in another thread, if you estimated the salary cap annually at a low estimate of 5%, here is where the cap should have been:
2009-$123M (actual cap)
2010-$129M
2011-$135.6M
2012-$142.3M
2013-$149.5M

The actual cap in 2011 was $120M. The Steelers were estimated to be @$132M in cap space prior to any work. That put them $12M over the actual cap but under what would have been a conservative estimate. The following season, the cap did not rise much, the Steelers were estimated to be $22.5M over the cap of $121M. Again, following the estimated plan, they would have been right at the cap. They were forced to work that number down. This year, the number over dropped to @$10M. The money pushed forward was not as significant this season. The work the Steelers did has reduced that number. How?

In addition to restructuring deals, the Steelers also released Farrior, Aaron Smith, Hines Ward, and Chris Kemoeatu. Farrior and Smith were in their final seasons, but Kemo and Ward were signed through 2013. The release of those 2 players last season trimmed $10M in cap space off 2013. All the restructures they did in 2012 does not eat that amount of space and that is why you see the Steelers with much less work to do this off season than they did last off season. They have restructured 3 deals this off season. The release of James Harrison clears $9M in cap space in 2014. All the restructured money for this season is less than Harrison frees up. In addition, they rolled over $1M in cap space and received credits to the cap.

Furthermore, the Steelers will likely approach Ben Roethlisberger again next off season, not with a restructure, but likely with an extension. He will have 2 years left, they can approach him about extending his deal, turn his $11.6M in salary into signing bonus, minimum first year, add years, and reduce that salary cap number again. The extension, IF Ben does not go Flacco on them, gives them a chance to reset his contract and virtually zero out the restructures after 2014.

I can easily see how by 2014, the Steelers will have settled back under the new cap number and get back to business as usual, forecasting the cap number better, retaining their own, and adding low cost free agents. The same formula that put them in 3 Super Bowls.

It won't happen over night.

zulater
03-10-2013, 09:45 PM
I hear statements like this all the time and, to be honest, it really does not encompass the whole salary cap picture. To state that $54M into future years is not good is a narrow view. It does not include all the other moves made that help clear up space in the future. Allow me to explain.

The Steelers had a method. They knew, as should anyone, that the cap rose annually by 5-7%, usually closer to 7%. The Steelers built their contracts and salary cap to mirror that rise. In 2010, when there was not a cap, the Steelers estimated salary cap was $129M. I pointed this out in another thread, if you estimated the salary cap annually at a low estimate of 5%, here is where the cap should have been:
2009-$123M (actual cap)
2010-$129M
2011-$135.6M
2012-$142.3M
2013-$149.5M

The actual cap in 2011 was $120M. The Steelers were estimated to be @$132M in cap space prior to any work. That put them $12M over the actual cap but under what would have been a conservative estimate. The following season, the cap did not rise much, the Steelers were estimated to be $22.5M over the cap of $121M. Again, following the estimated plan, they would have been right at the cap. They were forced to work that number down. This year, the number over dropped to @$10M. The money pushed forward was not as significant this season. The work the Steelers did has reduced that number. How?

In addition to restructuring deals, the Steelers also released Farrior, Aaron Smith, Hines Ward, and Chris Kemoeatu. Farrior and Smith were in their final seasons, but Kemo and Ward were signed through 2013. The release of those 2 players last season trimmed $10M in cap space off 2013. All the restructures they did in 2012 does not eat that amount of space and that is why you see the Steelers with much less work to do this off season than they did last off season. They have restructured 3 deals this off season. The release of James Harrison clears $9M in cap space in 2014. All the restructured money for this season is less than Harrison frees up. In addition, they rolled over $1M in cap space and received credits to the cap.

Furthermore, the Steelers will likely approach Ben Roethlisberger again next off season, not with a restructure, but likely with an extension. He will have 2 years left, they can approach him about extending his deal, turn his $11.6M in salary into signing bonus, minimum first year, add years, and reduce that salary cap number again. The extension, IF Ben does not go Flacco on them, gives them a chance to reset his contract and virtually zero out the restructures after 2014.

I can easily see how by 2014, the Steelers will have settled back under the new cap number and get back to business as usual, forecasting the cap number better, retaining their own, and adding low cost free agents. The same formula that put them in 3 Super Bowls.

Nice explanation. :applaudit:

BlastFurnace
03-10-2013, 10:11 PM
I I hear statements like this all the time and, to be honest, it really does not encompass the whole salary cap picture. To state that $54M into future years is not good is a narrow view. It does not include all the other moves made that help clear up space in the future. Allow me to explain.

2009-$123M (actual cap)
2010-$129M
2011-$135.6M
2012-$142.3M
2013-$149.5M

Thanks for the clarification TMC. All the way from SN to straighten me out...lol.

TMC
03-10-2013, 10:12 PM
Actually, I read here all the time. I lurk on a lot of boards.

86WARD
03-10-2013, 10:58 PM
I think it just a direct reflection of 3 superbowl appearances and those players outplaying their rookie contracts and expecting to get paid. And the paycheck of a franchise quarterback, which many teams only wished they had.

Agree. The Ravens are tight against the cap now.

I think it's also a product of winning those titles and the front office being complacent with some of the older players and clinging on beyond the stages that they normally would have.

Psycho Ward 86
03-10-2013, 11:12 PM
Agree. The Ravens are tight against the cap now.

I think it's also a product of winning those titles and the front office being complacent with some of the older players and clinging on beyond the stages that they normally would have.

exactly. its a result of below par drafting. good, detailed explanation tmc, but this one sentence here explains a lot. our lack of draft success is forcing us to stick with aging veterans that are shells of their former selves

Craic
03-10-2013, 11:26 PM
Dang . . . that really was a nice, simple explanation of the cap situation. Really appreciate it.

TMC
03-10-2013, 11:32 PM
exactly. its a result of below par drafting. good, detailed explanation tmc, but this one sentence here explains a lot. our lack of draft success is forcing us to stick with aging veterans that are shells of their former selves

So, that is why Keenan Lewis, Mendenhall, Wallace, and other players are leaving? Some of them are highly regarded free agents. All are young. All were drafted.

Craic
03-11-2013, 03:39 AM
So, that is why Keenan Lewis, Mendenhall, Wallace, and other players are leaving? Some of them are highly regarded free agents. All are young. All were drafted.

You really should post here more often. :chuckle:

Psycho Ward 86
03-11-2013, 08:33 AM

no, its not. because obviously for that particular trio the biggest problem is money theyre asking for/potentially asking for or behavioral problems, or even both (mendenhall and wallace). As of late, when we've been drafting poorly, we arent netting any talent. If we are, its looking like were not going to be able to hold onto them.

Thats a problem. Big problem. Especially when we perennially have little to no room to do anything in free agency.

TMC
03-11-2013, 12:39 PM
no, its not. because obviously for that particular trio the biggest problem is money theyre asking for/potentially asking for or behavioral problems, or even both (mendenhall and wallace). As of late, when we've been drafting poorly, we arent netting any talent. If we are, its looking like were not going to be able to hold onto them.

Thats a problem. Big problem. Especially when we perennially have little to no room to do anything in free agency.

I just do not see the evidence to support your arguments. First, you state that the Steeles perennially have little to no room to do anything in free agency. Well, that really is not the case. They signed Woodley and Timmons to deals at $10M per year. Those are moves in free agency. They simply picked the devil they knew over the devil they did not. Antonio Brown signed a big deal. Ike gets $7M per season. Troy signed $7M per season. Ben was paid well. Even under the restraints of the cap reset with the last CBA, they still paid Antonio Brown. The issue is, in reality, the Steelers have more high end free agents than most teams. If the Steelers have 10 contracts for over $100M in cap space and have the 3 FAs you point out, that is 13 players they need to pay well. Most teams lack that number of talented players.

In fact, if you look at a team like the Ravens, their top 6 now make $60M. Now that they have a franchise quarterback, they are also losing players due to cap restraints. The talk is releasing Boldin, a key player in their Super Bowl run. They have Kruger leaving. Ed Reed is a FA. Lewis retired. Cary Williams is a FA. Both TEs are RFAs. Art Jones is a RFA. McKinnie is a FA. Ellerbe is a FA. Birk retired. The amount of space they have is enough to tender the RFAs and ERFAs. Where are they going to find the talent to fit in their cap situation? They are considered a team that drafts well.

It is simply the nature of the business. If you are good, lesser teams will poach and overpay your talent. Why? Because they are NOT good and they want what you have.

As for not drafting well, I would ask how you measure drafting well. Do you compare it to past Steeler drafts? Do you compare it to the rest of the league? I posted this elsewhere and I'll share it here.....

I do a draft study. It does not account for recent years because the bust criteria is games played, so you need to wait 6 or more seasons to see how it plays out (I wait a few more). So, this data is not exactly current, but what I have found is trends do not change significantly. You have spikes, but drafts remain pretty constant.

The average number of players per team per draft to dress (not play, but dress) for 80 games is 2.5. That means in each draft, you will get between 2-3 players that will get a hat for 80 games in their career. That is all rounds. When you look at a draft like the Polamalu/Ike draft, where you get two really good players, that is a rare instance. Burress/Smith, Woodley/Timmons, etc is rare. Then when you start adding in role players like Gay, McFadden, etc, those drafts are above the average. People look at the 2008 draft as being exceptionally poor, and it is not great, but Mendenhall will dress for 80 games in his career in enough time. Mundy, if he dresses 16 games this season, will as well. That is 2. If you look at a draft like 2007, they have Timmons, Woodley, Gay, and Spaeth all looking to make that 80 game threshold. It is a very good draft. If McBean gets back on the field, you could see 5. That is a strong draft.

The problem is, Colbert set the bar very high in the early 2000s. He drafted Burress, Marvel Smith, and Clark Haggans in one draft. Three players that started, not just dressed, and all three had long careers. In 2001, he drafted Hampton and Bell, two pro bowl players. In 2002, it was Simmons, ARE, Hope, Foote, and Keisel. Monster draft. In 2003, it was Polamalu and Ike. Two cornerstones of our secondary. In 2004, it was Ben and Starks, two cornerstones of the offense. In 2005, it was Heath, McFadden, Kemo, and Essex.

Colbert raised the expectations. Has he fallen off? Really need more time to tell because emotion plays in the moment. People hated Starks 5 years ago. Now, they wonder why he is not being brought back. Time changes perspective. I know that 2009 brought Hood, Urbik, Wallace, and Lewis. Urbik starts for the Bills. Losing him is on the coaches, not the drafting department. That is 4 starters. In 2010, they added Pouncey, Worilds, Sanders, Dwyer, and Brown. Two have made the Pro Bowl. Still have some time for the others to show. In 2011, he drafted Hayward, Gilbert, and Allen. Three very good looking young players. Hard to say he has fallen off until we see how these later drafts play out.

To be honest, he has spoiled us.

Mojouw
03-11-2013, 01:31 PM
I just do not see the evidence to support your arguments. First, you state that the Steeles perennially have little to no room to do anything in free agency. Well, that really is not the case. They signed Woodley and Timmons to deals at $10M per year. Those are moves in free agency. They simply picked the devil they knew over the devil they did not. Antonio Brown signed a big deal. Ike gets $7M per season. Troy signed $7M per season. Ben was paid well. Even under the restraints of the cap reset with the last CBA, they still paid Antonio Brown. The issue is, in reality, the Steelers have more high end free agents than most teams. If the Steelers have 10 contracts for over $100M in cap space and have the 3 FAs you point out, that is 13 players they need to pay well. Most teams lack that number of talented players.

In fact, if you look at a team like the Ravens, their top 6 now make $60M. Now that they have a franchise quarterback, they are also losing players due to cap restraints. The talk is releasing Boldin, a key player in their Super Bowl run. They have Kruger leaving. Ed Reed is a FA. Lewis retired. Cary Williams is a FA. Both TEs are RFAs. Art Jones is a RFA. McKinnie is a FA. Ellerbe is a FA. Birk retired. The amount of space they have is enough to tender the RFAs and ERFAs. Where are they going to find the talent to fit in their cap situation? They are considered a team that drafts well.

It is simply the nature of the business. If you are good, lesser teams will poach and overpay your talent. Why? Because they are NOT good and they want what you have.

As for not drafting well, I would ask how you measure drafting well. Do you compare it to past Steeler drafts? Do you compare it to the rest of the league? I posted this elsewhere and I'll share it here.....

I do a draft study. It does not account for recent years because the bust criteria is games played, so you need to wait 6 or more seasons to see how it plays out (I wait a few more). So, this data is not exactly current, but what I have found is trends do not change significantly. You have spikes, but drafts remain pretty constant.

The average number of players per team per draft to dress (not play, but dress) for 80 games is 2.5. That means in each draft, you will get between 2-3 players that will get a hat for 80 games in their career. That is all rounds. When you look at a draft like the Polamalu/Ike draft, where you get two really good players, that is a rare instance. Burress/Smith, Woodley/Timmons, etc is rare. Then when you start adding in role players like Gay, McFadden, etc, those drafts are above the average. People look at the 2008 draft as being exceptionally poor, and it is not great, but Mendenhall will dress for 80 games in his career in enough time. Mundy, if he dresses 16 games this season, will as well. That is 2. If you look at a draft like 2007, they have Timmons, Woodley, Gay, and Spaeth all looking to make that 80 game threshold. It is a very good draft. If McBean gets back on the field, you could see 5. That is a strong draft.

The problem is, Colbert set the bar very high in the early 2000s. He drafted Burress, Marvel Smith, and Clark Haggans in one draft. Three players that started, not just dressed, and all three had long careers. In 2001, he drafted Hampton and Bell, two pro bowl players. In 2002, it was Simmons, ARE, Hope, Foote, and Keisel. Monster draft. In 2003, it was Polamalu and Ike. Two cornerstones of our secondary. In 2004, it was Ben and Starks, two cornerstones of the offense. In 2005, it was Heath, McFadden, Kemo, and Essex.

Colbert raised the expectations. Has he fallen off? Really need more time to tell because emotion plays in the moment. People hated Starks 5 years ago. Now, they wonder why he is not being brought back. Time changes perspective. I know that 2009 brought Hood, Urbik, Wallace, and Lewis. Urbik starts for the Bills. Losing him is on the coaches, not the drafting department. That is 4 starters. In 2010, they added Pouncey, Worilds, Sanders, Dwyer, and Brown. Two have made the Pro Bowl. Still have some time for the others to show. In 2011, he drafted Hayward, Gilbert, and Allen. Three very good looking young players. Hard to say he has fallen off until we see how these later drafts play out.

To be honest, he has spoiled us.

What he said! Great posting!

zulater
03-11-2013, 02:08 PM
What he said! Great posting!

ditto!