PDA

View Full Version : Willie Colon in Pittsburgh Steelers' plans, agent says

steelerdude15
03-07-2013, 09:05 PM
Willie Colon in Pittsburgh Steelers' plans, agent says

The Pittsburgh Steelers were expected to part ways with Willie Colon, but it appears the left guard isn't going anywhere for the time being.

Colon's agent, Joe Linta, told Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette that the Steelers' front office said they aren't planning to do anything with the veteran's contract and have not requested a pay cut.
Unofficial list of free agents
Check out this unofficial list of NFL restricted and unrestricted free agents for every team, which includes Greg Jennings. More ...

Colon, 29, is set to earn $5.5 million next season as part of the five-year, $29 million contract he signed in 2011. The sense around the Steelers was that Colon would be cut as Pittsburgh sought to overhaul its offensive front with more athletic and durable linemen. Colon has started only 13 games over the past two years and wound up on injured reserve for the third straight season in 2012.

Read More: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000147612/article/willie-colon-in-pittsburgh-steelers-plans-agent-says

I personally would cut him because he can't stay healthy. I think he's a good guard because he can pass block and open up holes for the running game, but he has too much money invested in him and he continues to get injured. Personally, I'd rather they keep Max over Willie.

salamander
03-07-2013, 09:30 PM
He's too big of an injury risk, IMO.

steelreserve
03-07-2013, 09:32 PM
Willie Colon in Pittsburgh Steelers' plans, agent says

The Pittsburgh Steelers were expected to part ways with Willie Colon, but it appears the left guard isn't going anywhere for the time being.

Colon's agent, Joe Linta, told Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette that the Steelers' front office said they aren't planning to do anything with the veteran's contract and have not requested a pay cut.
Unofficial list of free agents
Check out this unofficial list of NFL restricted and unrestricted free agents for every team, which includes Greg Jennings. More ...

Colon, 29, is set to earn $5.5 million next season as part of the five-year, $29 million contract he signed in 2011. The sense around the Steelers was that Colon would be cut as Pittsburgh sought to overhaul its offensive front with more athletic and durable linemen. Colon has started only 13 games over the past two years and wound up on injured reserve for the third straight season in 2012.

Read More: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000147612/article/willie-colon-in-pittsburgh-steelers-plans-agent-says

I personally would cut him because he can't stay healthy. I think he's a good guard because he can pass block and open up holes for the running game, but he has too much money invested in him and he continues to get injured. Personally, I'd rather they keep Max over Willie.

I think he was basically uncuttable this offseason, since he'd cost us as much or more in dead money than if we just kept him on the roster and paid him. Next year may be another story. I don't like the idea of counting on him; he's missed what, two and a half out of the past three years?

GBMelBlount
03-07-2013, 09:39 PM
We've overpaid way to many fat, lazy and injured players the past few years.

Just sayin.

zulater
03-07-2013, 09:42 PM
The deliberate cheap shot Suggs put on him that took him out of this season would put the majority of players in the league out for the season.

I'm not entirely convinced he can't stay healthy.

Psycho Ward 86
03-07-2013, 10:21 PM
We've overpaid way to many fat, lazy and injured players the past few years.

Just sayin.

i dont think its fair to categorize colon as lazy. its hard to deny that guy has one hell of a motor. if this report is true, looks like a steady indication that foster is as good as gone. i suppose that was expected though

steel9guy
03-09-2013, 07:41 PM
If he's in our plans then we should figure out new ways to get out of 2nd and 20's after holding calls.

Dwinsgames
03-09-2013, 08:59 PM
Harrison was released for approximately 2 million $$$ in salary ( had he took 2 mill less he would still be a Steeler ) yet they did nothing to lower this guys money ???

WTF they should have lowered his contract by 2 mill or cut him ( cutting him would have saved half the money needed to keep Harrison ) and Harrison MIGHT have agreed to take a 1 mill cut with incentives to get it back if it meant we would be in compliance with the cap ...

it just pisses me off this guy is still here and Harrison is gone and seemingly they did nothing to lower Colons $$$'s and he is less important and makes almost as much as Harrison did ....

salamander
03-09-2013, 09:53 PM
Harrison was released for approximately 2 million $$$ in salary ( had he took 2 mill less he would still be a Steeler ) yet they did nothing to lower this guys money ???

WTF they should have lowered his contract by 2 mill or cut him ( cutting him would have saved half the money needed to keep Harrison ) and Harrison MIGHT have agreed to take a 1 mill cut with incentives to get it back if it meant we would be in compliance with the cap ...

it just pisses me off this guy is still here and Harrison is gone and seemingly they did nothing to lower Colons $$$'s and he is less important and makes almost as much as Harrison did ....

I agree with you here. While I usually always trust the Steelers' FO, there are times when they make you scratch your head in wonder.

zulater
03-10-2013, 07:56 AM

So if Colon goes out and has a great year are you still pissed off at him?

Don't blame players for cap management problems.

Dwinsgames
03-10-2013, 09:11 AM
So if Colon goes out and has a great year are you still pissed off at him?

Don't blame players for cap management problems.

he has been paid enough already that in my mind he owes us a couple good seasons while getting vet min . ( but he is make so much more )

my point is why where the steelers so short sighted to not approach colon for at the very least half the money they tried to get off Harrison ......

Psycho Ward 86
03-10-2013, 01:21 PM

cant disagree with this. doesnt seem like colon wouldve had much of any leverage at all if the steelers asked him to take a pay cut

Mojouw
03-10-2013, 01:35 PM
I'm just trying to wrap my head around it from the Steelers perspective. All I can come up with is that with Harrison's age, they feel that they were in a situation that would have had them paying Harrison mostly for past production/reputation and ran an increased risk of paying him relatively high $$$ and getting little return. In contrast, Colon's relative youth means to them that they have a better chance of getting value over the remaining years of the contract? Couple that with the relatively high pick (at least for the Steelers), the depth of draft at DE/OLB prospects and viola...Harrison gets cut and Colon stays?

I want to stress that I by no means agree with much of the above. I am only trying to work out what the thought process is. I would understand the Harrison move MUCH more if Hampton, Starks, and Colon are shown the door, Woodley is heavily restructured and we see the Steelers take that cap money and sign Lewis and make an offer to a free agent or two...even Wallace (ducks and hides in corner). If those other vets are retained...not sure I understand the plan.

Dwinsgames
03-10-2013, 01:43 PM
I'm just trying to wrap my head around it from the Steelers perspective. All I can come up with is that with Harrison's age, they feel that they were in a situation that would have had them paying Harrison mostly for past production/reputation and ran an increased risk of paying him relatively high $$$ and getting little return. In contrast, Colon's relative youth means to them that they have a better chance of getting value over the remaining years of the contract? Couple that with the relatively high pick (at least for the Steelers), the depth of draft at DE/OLB prospects and viola...Harrison gets cut and Colon stays?

I want to stress that I by no means agree with much of the above. I am only trying to work out what the thought process is. I would understand the Harrison move MUCH more if Hampton, Starks, and Colon are shown the door, Woodley is heavily restructured and we see the Steelers take that cap money and sign Lewis and make an offer to a free agent or two...even Wallace (ducks and hides in corner). If those other vets are retained...not sure I understand the plan.

I MIGHT half ways understand that logic if they where getting more than an average of 4.3 games per season over the last 3 years under contract

ZERO games played yet paid at a high rate in 2010
1 Game played and paid at a very high rate in 2011
12 games played ( 10 really ) and paid at a very high rate in 2012

Colon has been collecting a ton of money for next to no true contribution to the team since he signed his last contract .....

For me Age has far less to do with it than what contributions do and if that becomes the measuring stick ( as it should be ) Colon is out and Harrison is in ... so I am still sort of in shock

Mojouw
03-10-2013, 02:07 PM
I MIGHT half ways understand that logic if they where getting more than an average of 4.3 games per season over the last 3 years under contract

ZERO games played yet paid at a high rate in 2010
1 Game played and paid at a very high rate in 2011
12 games played ( 10 really ) and paid at a very high rate in 2012

Colon has been collecting a ton of money for next to no true contribution to the team since he signed his last contract .....

For me Age has far less to do with it than what contributions do and if that becomes the measuring stick ( as it should be ) Colon is out and Harrison is in ... so I am still sort of in shock

Oh I agree completely. I'm just struggling to see how not having a player that, once he was healthy for the last 1/4 or so of the season or so, demonstrated that he is still one of the best players on the the team is beneficial in any way.

Even if the Steelers draft a rush linebacker...I get a bad feeling about even the most lauded prospects. Reading this on Jarvis Jones makes me think NFL left tackles will eat him alive....http://www.sbnation.com/nfl-mock-draft/2013/3/7/4074046/jarvis-jones-2013-nfl-draft-scouting-report