PDA

View Full Version : Mike Wallace, Rashard Mendenhall lead list of risky free agents.

Shoes
03-07-2013, 08:21 PM
At this time next week, there will be a lot of stupid money being thrown around the NFL with free agency well underway. And you just know some teams are going to make mistakes. Let's get a head start and lay out the nine riskiest free agents about to hit the open market:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000147633/article/mike-wallace-rashard-mendenhall-lead-list-of-risky-free-agents

steelreserve
03-07-2013, 11:44 PM
He had some pretty choice words for those two, that's for sure. Man, did he ever lay into Mendenhall.

In case anyone doesn't feel like reading, the summary is pretty much: "The smart teams aren't interested in Wallace because he's an asshole who can't hold on to the football, and Mendenhall is also an asshole who can't hold on to the football, only without any redeeming qualities like speed." Definitely some good entertainment.

Craic
03-08-2013, 01:52 AM
I got to "He can't hold on to the football" talking about Mendenhall and quit reading. Statistically, Mendenhall's excellent when it comes to holding on to the football.

zulater
03-08-2013, 10:51 AM
Wallace is all about the money. I don't think he prioritizes winning. He selfishly held out last year, didn't make an extra penny and helped derail the Steelers' season. Wallace wasn't part of the offseason programs and didn't learn new offensive coordinator Todd Haley's playbook. He then had an underachieving season filled with a case of the yips.

Nailed it!

Dwinsgames
03-08-2013, 12:30 PM
wallace number .... 17 ( times 2 players) = 34 ( Mendy's number ) add the two together 17+34=51 and that is about the percentage chance we ever hear from them again at an above average mark IMO ( ok that was stupid but both of those guys have proven at one time or another as being just as stupid or more so ) and that is reason enough to avoid them IMO

fansince'76
03-08-2013, 01:46 PM
wallace number .... 17 ( times 2 players) = 34 ( Mendy's number ) add the two together 17+34=51 and that is about the percentage chance we ever hear from them again at an above average mark IMO ( ok that was stupid but both of those guys have proven at one time or another as being just as stupid or more so ) and that is reason enough to avoid them IMO

Nowhere near as stupid as Mendenhall tweeting that the NFL "parallels" slavery. That one took the cake.

Steeltreal
03-08-2013, 01:49 PM
When u set some milestones for a franchise u deserve to get paid. Just look how Willie Parkers career ended. Would have been nice to see Colbert make a move with Woodley and find a way to keep both of these guys.Too little to late, goodluck to both of them.

st33lersguy
03-08-2013, 02:37 PM
I think last year Wallace exposed himself as a selfish jackass who has won't think twice about dogging it and quitting on a team. Mendenhall is simply not starting caliber and is worth very little cap space

Dwinsgames
03-08-2013, 08:35 PM
see I think Mendy is highly talented but lacks the guts it takes to show the talent , he is to meek in his demeanor on the field , OK HE IS SOFT ! there I said it ....

but he is in so many ways exactly what you want in a RB , he has decent hands , he has decent speed , he has some power ( does not show it nearly often enough ) he is rather elusive and he is good in the open field ..... he does not have heart , he does not have killer instinct and without those two things you are mediocre in this league

fansince'76
03-08-2013, 09:14 PM
see I think Mendy is highly talented but lacks the guts it takes to show the talent , he is to meek in his demeanor on the field , OK HE IS SOFT ! there I said it ....

but he is in so many ways exactly what you want in a RB , he has decent hands , he has decent speed , he has some power ( does not show it nearly often enough ) he is rather elusive and he is good in the open field ..... he does not have heart , he does not have killer instinct and without those two things you are mediocre in this league

I remember right after the Steelers drafted him a number of folks questioning his commitment to the game due to all his other interests. I poo-pooed that notion then. I'm not poo-pooing it so much now...

steelreserve
03-08-2013, 10:24 PM
Wallace is all about the money. I don't think he prioritizes winning. He selfishly held out last year, didn't make an extra penny and helped derail the Steelers' season. Wallace wasn't part of the offseason programs and didn't learn new offensive coordinator Todd Haley's playbook. He then had an underachieving season filled with a case of the yips.

Nailed it!

Except for the part about not making an extra penny. He actually cost himself about $8 million last season by not signing the fat contract we offered him.

As I said in another thread even if he makes $12M a year in his new deal, he's only breaking even with what he could've had. Which means this whole fucking retarded circus was over absolutely nothing.

NCSteeler
03-09-2013, 08:27 AM
I'm not inclined to completely disagree with the author, but it makes me wonder why Adam Schein felt the eve of free agency was the time to write a hit piece on these guys on NFL.com. It seems unusual to me.

zulater
03-09-2013, 08:32 AM
I'm not inclined to completely disagree with the author, but it makes me wonder why Adam Schein felt the eve of free agency was the time to write a hit piece on these guys on NFL.com. It seems unusual to me.

Why not? It's topical, and it's on NFL fans minds. So it probably got a lot of hits, and that's how you stay employed.

BigNastyDefense
03-09-2013, 09:50 AM
Mike Wallace sealed his fate for me when he held himself out of the finale against the Cleveland Browns because he didn't want to risk injury in a "meaningless" game going into free agency. He has no heart, it showed multiple times over the season by not fighting for balls...or to even knock them down to prevent an interception. While he has talent, he doesn't have heart or guts. If he left, I wouldn't shed a tear.

Rashard Mendenhall wasn't happy with being benched for a game against the Chargers (I think) and chose to no-show for that game. That just shows a tremendous disrespect for your coaches and teammates. He's soft. He dances around in the backfield instead of hitting the hole. He can stiff arm a guy or lower his shoulder for more yards...but he chooses to go down instead more often than not.

Shoes
03-09-2013, 07:27 PM
It looks like Miami may be interested in wallace & mendy....according to pft and Rotoworld.

ALLD
03-10-2013, 08:33 AM
Mendenhall is a good back to complement a solid passing team. He is not one to carry a team on his shoulders like the kid in Baltimore. Wallace made a mistake by turning down a fat contract and is now trying to blame the Steelers for his actions. Mendy should cancel his twitter account and when Wallace speaks it sounds like he just left the farm.

zulater
03-10-2013, 08:35 AM
Mike Wallace sealed his fate for me when he held himself out of the finale against the Cleveland Browns because he didn't want to risk injury in a "meaningless" game going into free agency. He has no heart, it showed multiple times over the season by not fighting for balls...or to even knock them down to prevent an interception. While he has talent, he doesn't have heart or guts. If he left, I wouldn't shed a tear.

Rashard Mendenhall wasn't happy with being benched for a game against the Chargers (I think) and chose to no-show for that game. That just shows a tremendous disrespect for your coaches and teammates. He's soft. He dances around in the backfield instead of hitting the hole. He can stiff arm a guy or lower his shoulder for more yards...but he chooses to go down instead more often than not.

Agree on all points.

Heinz Hitman
03-11-2013, 03:01 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v90/kevmania69/577938_596154453745889_1557556110_n_zps68374a2d.jp g

Psycho Ward 86
03-11-2013, 05:48 PM
mendenhall might not be a risky free agent at all. he might prove inexpensive, coming off an awful season and an awful injury topped with some stupidity. Could be a low [money] risk, potentially high reward pick up for some team. The guy is still only 25 and only started 1 full season in college. Mendenhall never had much of an O-line while he was here and wasnt he supposed to be more suited to a zone blocking scheme? Could be a late bloomer like marshawn lynch

Count Steeler
03-11-2013, 06:10 PM
mendenhall might not be a risky free agent at all. he might prove inexpensive, coming off an awful season and an awful injury topped with some stupidity. Could be a low [money] risk, potentially high reward pick up for some team. The guy is still only 25 and only started 1 full season in college. Mendenhall never had much of an O-line while he was here and wasnt he supposed to be more suited to a zone blocking scheme? Could be a late bloomer like marshawn lynch

I agree with your analysis, however, he probably won't be able to play in Pittsburgh with all that has gone on. He will benefit from a new coach and new scenery. If he gets snubbed and is still available before camp, I would take a chance on him.

Heinz Hitman
03-11-2013, 09:27 PM
Reports are that the Broncos are interested in Mendenhall. Might be a good fit there and maybe Peyton can get him to get his head out of his ass.

Edman
03-12-2013, 07:09 AM
Good Riddance to both of them.

It seemed like after 2010 they fell off a cliff. A shame really, especially for Mendy. I thought he was on his way after that season. He was never the same after the Super Bowl.

NJarhead
03-12-2013, 07:26 AM
Won't we get a compensatory pick for Wallace when he signs elsewhere?

I doubt it with Mendy.

Dwinsgames
03-12-2013, 09:56 AM
Won't we get a compensatory pick for Wallace when he signs elsewhere?

I doubt it with Mendy.

we may get one for both , it is a strange formula used to determine if you garner one or not ...

based on your initial draft slotting , how much play time + performance+ salary paid by the team that signs the player away then subtract the players you yourself add in free agency and how much they play , you pay them and their performance ....from the way I understand it ... I do not understand it LOL and seemingly nobody else can explain it and then show the formula work on a case by case basis evenly across the board ...

considering our cap situation I do not see us signing many free agents ( not with the team prior ) for any decent money that will garner as much playing time as the guys we will lose ...

we potentially could net two selections in 2014 from the 3rd or 4th rounds ....

Dwinsgames
03-12-2013, 10:06 AM
actually we should be cheering these two on ( for their first year in a new city ) the better they perform elsewhere in 2013 the more potential reward for us in 2014

NJarhead
03-12-2013, 10:15 AM
we may get one for both , it is a strange formula used to determine if you garner one or not ...

based on your initial draft slotting , how much play time + performance+ salary paid by the team that signs the player away then subtract the players you yourself add in free agency and how much they play , you pay them and their performance ....from the way I understand it ... I do not understand it LOL and seemingly nobody else can explain it and then show the formula work on a case by case basis evenly across the board ...

considering our cap situation I do not see us signing many free agents ( not with the team prior ) for any decent money that will garner as much playing time as the guys we will lose ...

Yea, I never understood how that worked. Very complicated, but I was thinking around/about 4th in there somewhere (don't ask me how - lol).

XxKnightxX
03-12-2013, 10:33 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulq1xcyaU_w

The one play that sent Mendenhall's career down the shitter. He hasnt recovered, always seems to shit the bed in the clutch.

Animal Mother
03-12-2013, 10:35 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v90/kevmania69/577938_596154453745889_1557556110_n_zps68374a2d.jp g

LMAO

Should also say "unless there is a DB in the area in which case he will trip over nothing and make no effort to sign whatsoever"

- - - Updated - - -

I believe there are two formulas, one for the Patriots and one for the rest of the NFL.

GodfatherofSoul
03-12-2013, 03:29 PM
I believe there are two formulas, one for the Patriots and one for the rest of the NFL.

Goodell throws a bunch of chicken bones into a pentagram, looks to the sky and proclaims "1st round compensatory pick for New England!"

Psycho Ward 86
03-12-2013, 03:33 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulq1xcyaU_w

The one play that sent Mendenhall's career down the shitter. He hasnt recovered, always seems to shit the bed in the clutch.

when else is he so bad in the clutch?