PDA

View Full Version : Update: Harrison Released

polamalubeast
03-05-2013, 04:46 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/05/harrisons-agent-steelers-looking-for-common-ground/

Count Steeler
03-05-2013, 05:38 PM
Not much room to play with, is there? Especially when his counterpart is making double.

Pristas
03-05-2013, 10:01 PM
Harrison came back from a very late surgery this past season and still was twice as effective as Woodley was all season. With a full off season to recover, work out and get in shape, we will still see one more EPIC James Harrison season in Pittsburgh. 2013. Quote me on this.

If Woodley puts down the gobs, he might actually do something too.:flame:

steelerdude15
03-06-2013, 10:22 AM
Harrison came back from a very late surgery this past season and still was twice as effective as Woodley was all season. With a full off season to recover, work out and get in shape, we will still see one more EPIC James Harrison season in Pittsburgh. 2013. Quote me on this.

If Woodley puts down the gobs, he might actually do something too.:flame:

I actually think that James can have one more good season in him. If he has a completely healthy off-season and can get or stay in great shape, I still think he will do some damage. I'd like to see him go out on a high note and that being a good season. I also think that if the Steelers selected Jarvis Jones in the first round, James can be a mentor to him and shape Jones to be a great linebacker.

fansince'76
03-07-2013, 05:30 PM
Well, this sucks...

By Ed Bouchette / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Negotiations between the Steelers and the agent for James Harrison continue but neither side has found anything to their liking on a new deal and the chance has increased that the star linebacker could be released soon.

Harrison, the NFL Defensive Player of the Year in 2008 and a five-time Pro Bowler, has two years left on a contract that is scheduled to pay him a $6.57 million salary this season.

Read more: Negotiations Between Steelers, Harrison at Impasse (http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/negotions-between-steelers-harrison-at-impasse-678340/)

Count Steeler
03-07-2013, 05:37 PM
That is an unfortunate outcome, but quite predictable.

Psycho Ward 86
03-07-2013, 05:48 PM
lol thats no update. thats what we all knew already. if harrison does get released, on the bright side at least we stand a better chance at resigning keenan lewis

salamander
03-07-2013, 05:52 PM
How much cap space would be cleared up IF Harrison does get released?

fansince'76
03-07-2013, 05:56 PM
lol thats no update. thats what we all knew already.

Eh, I was holding out hope...

Psycho Ward 86
03-07-2013, 06:01 PM
How much cap space would be cleared up IF Harrison does get released?

$5.105 million. that could definitely be the difference in getting keenan signed

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers/cap-hit/

- - - Updated - - -

Eh, I was holding out hope...

yeah me too. im shocked that he thinks he can potentially get more money elsewhere (or at least he is implying it by refusing to take a paycut to stay)

Count Steeler
03-07-2013, 06:52 PM
Via twitter:
James Harrison @jharrison9292

Lets not worry about contract talk ppl, hopefully things will get worked out. I still have a lot of stuff to give away!

Steeldude
03-07-2013, 06:55 PM
They should be asking Woodley to take the paycut, not restructuring it.

SteelerFanInStl
03-07-2013, 07:37 PM
If they cut him, they damn well better draft an OLBer in the first round who's capable of starting day 1.

steelreserve
03-07-2013, 09:35 PM
I don't think he deserves a pay cut. He made a huge difference when he was in, and we don't have anyone who can replace him. I'd rather see them leave that situation just the way it is. If anyone should be taking a pay cut, it should be Woodley and it should be a major one.

Psycho Ward 86
03-07-2013, 10:42 PM
I don't think he deserves a pay cut. He made a huge difference when he was in, and we don't have anyone who can replace him. I'd rather see them leave that situation just the way it is. If anyone should be taking a pay cut, it should be Woodley and it should be a major one.

its not a matter of who deserves the pay cut anymore. its all about leverage at this point. if woodley was asked to take a pay cut he wouldnt take it because if he got cut/traded, theres definitely teams out there that would take on his current contract to have him on their team. we shouldve been able to push harrison's buttons, i mean seriously, the guy will be 35 by the time the season starts and been getting battered by injury the past 2 seasons. doesnt seem like a lot of people would pay his price tag

BlastFurnace
03-07-2013, 11:04 PM
If they cut him, they damn well better draft an OLBer in the first round who's capable of starting day 1.

Your new ROLB would be Wordlis.

SteelerFanInStl
03-07-2013, 11:23 PM
Not in Dick's "complicated defense". He'll be lucky if he's starting by mid point 2014.

Your new ROLB would be Wordlis.

Yea, we've seen how well that works.

steelreserve
03-07-2013, 11:36 PM
its not a matter of who deserves the pay cut anymore. its all about leverage at this point. if woodley was asked to take a pay cut he wouldnt take it because if he got cut/traded, theres definitely teams out there that would take on his current contract to have him on their team. we shouldve been able to push harrison's buttons, i mean seriously, the guy will be 35 by the time the season starts and been getting battered by injury the past 2 seasons. doesnt seem like a lot of people would pay his price tag

If Woodley could be cut/traded without it destroying us with dead money, I'm 100% certain he would be. There's a reason he's the one they didn't restructure.

Don't forget, if it's all about leverage, Harrison has plenty of leverage on us too, as in: Who the hell else is going to play his position?

Craic
03-08-2013, 01:59 AM
Yea, we've seen how well that works.

???

Harrison played a quarter of the time, half the time at most through the middle of the year. Worlids played the rest. So yeah, we saw how it worked, and our defense was pretty impressive during that stretch. They only thing they didn't get was turnovers or sacks - but to my way of thinking, it's more important to get a three and out, than a sack and then let them get a first down.

zulater
03-08-2013, 10:47 AM
???

Harrison played a quarter of the time, half the time at most through the middle of the year. Worlids played the rest. So yeah, we saw how it worked, and our defense was pretty impressive during that stretch. They only thing they didn't get was turnovers or sacks - but to my way of thinking, it's more important to get a three and out, than a sack and then let them get a first down.

Harrison played the last 13 games and missed very few snaps in those games. And may I remind you that in two of the 3 games Harrison didn't play the Steelers gave up over 30 points. They only did that once again after Harrison returned to play. Also don't forget Harrison finished strong, getting all 6 of his sacks and both of his forced fumbles for the season in the last 7 games. Losing him would be a huge setback to the defense! Huge!

SteelerFanInStl
03-08-2013, 11:28 AM
Harrison played the last 13 games and missed very few snaps in those games. And may I remind you that in two of the 3 games Harrison didn't play the Steelers gave up over 30 points. They only did that once again after Harrison returned to play. Also don't forget Harrison finished strong, getting all 6 of his sacks and both of his forced fumbles for the season in the last 7 games. Losing him would be a huge setback to the defense! Huge!

Exactly. Worilds played poorly when he started on the right side. He was completely invisible.

86WARD
03-08-2013, 05:15 PM
USA Today is reporting that Steelers are on the verge of releasing him.

steelerdude15
03-08-2013, 06:42 PM
I really hope the Steelers don't cut him, that would be extremely sad and upsetting. I honestly think he's our best defensive player and it would be sad to see him go. It is a business though.

Steeldude
03-08-2013, 06:48 PM

Trading Woodley would be awesome. How much would we save if he was traded?

Psycho Ward 86
03-08-2013, 06:54 PM
Trading Woodley would be awesome. How much would we save if he was traded?

i mostly only know the savings and dead money info off of the following link: http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers/cap-hit/

no idea what a trade would do. anyone care to figure that one out?

Count Steeler
03-08-2013, 07:11 PM
How the heck did Woodley become such a huge dead money hit.

salamander
03-08-2013, 07:14 PM

Guess the Steelers didn't think that one through. :chuckle:

Craic
03-08-2013, 07:23 PM

No, he didn't "miss very few snaps." He actually missed quite a bit of them. And in the four game middle of the season where our defense was SO dominant, his stats were mediocre at best. First, he didn't even play against Cincy, and that was after coming back and playing in the two games before that. (either that, or he scored 0's across the board).

Against Washington, he had 3 tackles and 2 assists. Nothing else in that game.
Against New York, he had 4 tackles and 1 assist. One of those tackles was for negative yards.
Against KC, he had 1 tack and 6 assists.

That's it. That's the period of time where our defense was completely dominant against other teams. Let's put that in comparison to Lamar Woodley, whom a number of people think is a waste of a spot on our roster right now.

Cincy - 1 solo and 2 assists
Washington - 2 tackles and a stuff
Giants - 2 tackles, a sack, and a forced fumble.
KC - four tackles, four assists, and a stuff.

Really, not much more production out of Harrison than out of Woodley on the other side.

I think you're confusing the James Harrison of yesteryear, and a little bit of James Harrison at the END of this season, with the James Harrison of the middle of the season when he was coming off of injury. He had to sit on the bench quite a bit more often because he didn't have his wind yet. So no, it wouldn't be HUGE, because during our strongest in the middle of last year, Harrison was playing at an AVERAGE LB level. It's called the sum being greater than it's parts, and through that four game stretch, that was definitely true.

What's HUGE, is a 10.5 million dollar contract with a player that is refusing to negotiate and is showing himself to be more and more injury prone due to his age - and their injuries that are taking half the season or more to come back from (including getting in cardio shape). If you don't believe me, look at his stats for the last few games of the season. They jump . . . because he was finally back in shape.

Does that mean I want him gone? No, I never said that. It DOES mean that it's not the end of the world if he leaves. Just like it wasn't the end of the world when Joey Porter left, or Gildon, or Brown, or Greene, or Plaxico, or Big Red, or etc. etc.

Dwinsgames
03-08-2013, 09:50 PM
they have a couple days left to figure it out and I doubt they " cut him " before they have no other option ...more attempts at negotiations and potentially a few phone calls for a trade for a mid/ late round pick to ensure he plays somewhere off schedule in 2013 and not in our division where he likely could land if cut

steelreserve
03-08-2013, 10:18 PM

Because we restructured his contract two or three times, basically pushing almost all of his last two years' salary into a "signing bonus" that gets spread out over the rest of his contract. If we cut him, we take the remaining hit all at once for any bonus money we ever paid.

i mostly only know the savings and dead money info off of the following link: http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers/cap-hit/

no idea what a trade would do. anyone care to figure that one out?

I'm pretty sure a trade would do the same thing as cutting him. All that "bonus money" we paid him is already paid and can't be taken back ... therefore, it all counts as dead money once he's no longer on the team.Both of these reasons are why restructuring a player's contract makes him almost impossibly hard to get rid of before the last year of his contract.

In Woodley's case, I'm almost positive the reason we didn't restructure him again is so that we swallow part of the shit sandwich this season, so if he stinks the place out again we'll at least have a "manageable" number of $8M or $10M in dead money if we cut him, as opposed to probably something close to $20M if we did it now.

oneforthetoe
03-08-2013, 11:33 PM
I know I am in the minority here, but i have not yet given up on Woodley. No doubt, this the year that he needs a major turnaround from this past season. However, there was stretch in '11 where he was as good a linebacker as there was in the league. It is not unheard of for a player to have a small mid-career crises and return to form. Ironically IIRC, many here were applauding the Woodley pick in the draft, while dissing the Timmons' pick, because Timmons was apparently out of shape at the combine (or his pro day). Just goes to show what a crap-shoot the draft really is.

Dwinsgames
03-09-2013, 12:00 AM
I know I am in the minority here, but i have not yet given up on Woodley. No doubt, this the year that he needs a major turnaround from this past season. However, there was stretch in '11 where he was as good a linebacker as there was in the league. It is not unheard of for a player to have a small mid-career crises and return to form. Ironically IIRC, many here were applauding the Woodley pick in the draft, while dissing the Timmons' pick, because Timmons was apparently out of shape at the combine (or his pro day). Just goes to show what a crap-shoot the draft really is.

I was not in love with either pick ,

1) I thought Woodley was over sized and not athletic enough to play OLB at a high level , I was wrong , he was able to early on but since the weight has crept in and now I am right ... will I continue to be right the rest of the way ? I hope not

2) It is not that I disliked the pick of Timmons , but it was more of I disliked taking him where we did , I felt we could have traded back and still got him after all he was a consolation prize Willis was the target ( or should have been anyways ) and I was concerned that Timmons was a one year wonder , lets face it there was not a lot of tape on him other than his final year in College and we see lots of guys have 1 great year and vanish at the next level ....

Steeldude
03-09-2013, 01:59 AM

Minority? Most everyone on here thinks Woodley is a god among men.

zulater
03-09-2013, 07:54 AM
No, he didn't "miss very few snaps." He actually missed quite a bit of them. And in the four game middle of the season where our defense was SO dominant, his stats were mediocre at best. First, he didn't even play against Cincy, and that was after coming back and playing in the two games before that. (either that, or he scored 0's across the board).

Against Washington, he had 3 tackles and 2 assists. Nothing else in that game.
Against New York, he had 4 tackles and 1 assist. One of those tackles was for negative yards.
Against KC, he had 1 tack and 6 assists.

That's it. That's the period of time where our defense was completely dominant against other teams. Let's put that in comparison to Lamar Woodley, whom a number of people think is a waste of a spot on our roster right now.

Cincy - 1 solo and 2 assists
Washington - 2 tackles and a stuff
Giants - 2 tackles, a sack, and a forced fumble.
KC - four tackles, four assists, and a stuff.

Really, not much more production out of Harrison than out of Woodley on the other side.

I think you're confusing the James Harrison of yesteryear, and a little bit of James Harrison at the END of this season, with the James Harrison of the middle of the season when he was coming off of injury. He had to sit on the bench quite a bit more often because he didn't have his wind yet. So no, it wouldn't be HUGE, because during our strongest in the middle of last year, Harrison was playing at an AVERAGE LB level. It's called the sum being greater than it's parts, and through that four game stretch, that was definitely true.

What's HUGE, is a 10.5 million dollar contract with a player that is refusing to negotiate and is showing himself to be more and more injury prone due to his age - and their injuries that are taking half the season or more to come back from (including getting in cardio shape). If you don't believe me, look at his stats for the last few games of the season. They jump . . . because he was finally back in shape.

Does that mean I want him gone? No, I never said that. It DOES mean that it's not the end of the world if he leaves. Just like it wasn't the end of the world when Joey Porter left, or Gildon, or Brown, or Greene, or Plaxico, or Big Red, or etc. etc.

I'm not confusing anything. Harrison didn't miss either Bengal game, and even when he wasn't racking up tackles he was still helping the Steelers control the weak side edge. If the ROLB is at least playing the LT to a draw that keeps runs from breaking to his side.

And yes I'm quite aware Harrison was nowhere close to the player he was from 06-10, but even at his worst last year he was still twice the player Worldidis is on that side.

That said I think the Steelers are playing this smart. Harrison should play for a reduced salary. Maybe they culd even throw in some incentive clauses so that his number could stay wehre it's at if he performs?

The thing is that there's really not going to be much of a market outside of Pittsburgh for Harrison. Recent NFL trends would suggest that the Patriots are the only team out there that would take a flier on a 35 year old linebacker. But they wont offer even half of what Harrison is scheduled to make this year if he played under his current contract.

Basically if the Steelers play their cards right and Harrison doesn't let pride get in the way, they should be able to get his services for about 2/3 of what he's scheduled to get paid.

In other words I think the Steelers have the stronger hand in this negotiation. Pride is the only thing that could screw it up.

zulater
03-09-2013, 07:59 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=DicYF4RQBnU#at=15

Some words of advice about letting pride get in the way for James. :lol:

DarthSpartans20
03-09-2013, 10:58 AM
Harrison has just been released.

Dwinsgames
03-09-2013, 11:08 AM
Linebacker James Harrison (http://www.nfl.com/player/jamesharrison/2504844/profile) will be released Saturday by the Pittsburgh Steelers (http://www.nfl.com/teams/pittsburghsteelers/profile?team=PIT), reported NFL.com's Albert Breer according to a club source.Harrison's agent also confirmed the move to Breer.
Saturday morning Harrison tweeted "Thank you Steelers (http://www.nfl.com/teams/pittsburghsteelers/profile?team=PIT) Nation I will miss you all!"

do not like it , he will be signed by a div. rival and haunt us , no lineman on our roster can block him ....

is the small cap savings worth Bens ability to play in 2013 ? I do not think so

Shoes
03-09-2013, 11:14 AM
We keep the fat ones and release the one's who stay in shape. This sucks!

Hindes204
03-09-2013, 11:14 AM
fuck

Psycho Ward 86
03-09-2013, 11:24 AM
the release is official

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Steelers-Release-Linebacker-James-Harrison/326064d2-33bf-4578-b9a6-5b710f351233

venom
03-09-2013, 11:26 AM
Thanx for the years you gave us !!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zI1GiZiW1bM

Dwinsgames
03-09-2013, 11:43 AM
if available Jarvis Jones just became the selection at 17

Psycho Ward 86
03-09-2013, 11:44 AM
thats $5.1 million in cap space we just made with that cut.

gonna miss deebo a lot, but if we get keenan signed because of this ill be pretty darn happy

Shoes
03-09-2013, 11:45 AM
if available Jarvis Jones just became the selection at 17

Yep, I believe you are correct!

Dwinsgames
03-09-2013, 11:46 AM
thats $5.1 million in cap space we just made with that cut.

gonna miss deebo a lot, but if we get keenan signed because of this ill be pretty darn happy

signing Keenan Lewis only keeps Cortez Allen ( the biggest play maker in the secondary we have ) off the field .....

not an idea I am fond of ( for the record )

Psycho Ward 86
03-09-2013, 12:06 PM
signing Keenan Lewis only keeps Cortez Allen ( the biggest play maker in the secondary we have ) off the field .....

not an idea I am fond of ( for the record )

seems to me its usually considered a consensus that the top 3 corners on each team will be forced to play starter snaps anyways. if cortez is so much better, he'll beat lewis for his #2 spot outright. what you lose by not having cortez out there as a starter is the luxury of having another good corner starting ahead of him. maybe itll help us in the long term anyways. when we have to resign cortez allen, maybe he'll come cheaper since he hasnt played as many snaps.

i would still rather cut ike taylor and resign lewis than to let lewis walk and hold onto ike. ike is going to be 33 in less than 2 months and we have him for 2 more seasons. we all know what kind of great shape ike is in, working out with tom shaw and all, and the fact that he has had a durable career, but who knows where he'll be at by then. if lewis is resigned, we'll still have lewis, gay, and more than likely allen locked up by then. looks like a good young group of cornerbacks to me. i like the long term prospect better

Dwinsgames
03-09-2013, 12:21 PM
seems to me its usually considered a consensus that the top 3 corners on each team will be forced to play starter snaps anyways. if cortez is so much better, he'll beat lewis for his #2 spot outright. what you lose by not having cortez out there as a starter is the luxury of having another good corner starting ahead of him. maybe itll help us in the long term anyways. when we have to resign cortez allen, maybe he'll come cheaper since he hasnt played as many snaps.

i would still rather cut ike taylor and resign lewis than to let lewis walk and hold onto ike. ike is going to be 33 in less than 2 months and we have him for 2 more seasons. we all know what kind of great shape ike is in, working out with tom shaw and all, and the fact that he has had a durable career, but who knows where he'll be at by then. if lewis is resigned, we'll still have lewis, gay, and more than likely allen locked up by then. looks like a good young group of cornerbacks to me. i like the long term prospect better

for me , cutting Ike is the only way I sign Lewis long term .... and in the process I try and offer Allen a moderate deal to lock him up a couple more years ( not a bank breaker deal but one that will pay him enough to keep him around to see if he is the player I anticipate him being ) ..

none of this is a knock on Ike , great coverage guy who lacks ball skill , he is what he is ..... if your primary objective is to limit the opposing teams number 1 WR , Ike is your guy , if limiting that WR and making a play on the ball is what is needed then Ike leaves a lot to be desired because he simply can not make that play on the football ...maybe we could cut Ike sign Allen and Lewis and still get Ike back at a greatly reduced number , not going to be much of a market for a 32 year old CB coming off injury when there is a lot of decent younger corners on the market right now

JayC
03-09-2013, 12:27 PM
thanks for being amazing in your prime james! best of luck to him unless he plays against us.

st33lersguy
03-09-2013, 12:30 PM
It is sad to see him go, but I think it was for the best. good luck James, your impact will sorely be missed

stillers4me
03-09-2013, 12:31 PM
Thank you, James. You will always be a Steeler in my book.

I can hardly wait to hear the fans of other teams that called him a dirty player screaming to sign him now.

Count Steeler
03-09-2013, 12:34 PM
Thanks for the memories James. Best defensive play in any SB so far!

X-Terminator
03-09-2013, 12:37 PM
This move is going to come back to haunt the Steelers BIG TIME. Who else is going to play on that side of the field and make the plays that Harrison makes? Yeah, I know...aging, injury prone, whatever. He's still the best playmaking OLB they had on the roster, and the defense WILL suffer without him next season. Mark my words.

Thanks for everything, James. I wish it didn't have to come to this.

Count Steeler
03-09-2013, 12:39 PM
This move is going to come back to haunt the Steelers BIG TIME. Who else is going to play on that side of the field and make the plays that Harrison makes? Yeah, I know...aging, injury prone, whatever. He's still the best playmaking OLB they had on the roster, and the defense WILL suffer without him next season. Mark my words.

Agree. Preacher's 3 year pattern is in serious jeopardy.

salamander
03-09-2013, 01:01 PM
The Steelers better find someone to replace him or the defense is screwed.

GBMelBlount
03-09-2013, 01:09 PM
This move is going to come back to haunt the Steelers BIG TIME. Who else is going to play on that side of the field and make the plays that Harrison makes?

Absofuckinlutely.

We just lost a great OLB because we are paying another fat lazy effing POS $10 million.

I am livid.

salamander
03-09-2013, 01:13 PM
Absofuckinlutely.

We just lost a great OLB because we are paying another fat lazy effing POS $10 million.

I am livid.

Yepp. Woodley had better friggin step up his game this season.

Count Steeler
03-09-2013, 01:20 PM
Absofuckinlutely.

I am livid.

I think the Steelers not restructuring Woodley speaks volumes. He better have his ass in gear this year, or it is grass.

BlastFurnace
03-09-2013, 01:24 PM
Well...we have cut our best LB'r. We are allowing our best LT, RB, WR, and maybe our best CB.
to leave.

Colbert & Tomlin...you better have something up your sleeve.

Count Steeler
03-09-2013, 01:28 PM
Well...we have cut our best LB'r. We are allowing our best LT, RB, WR, and maybe our best CB.
to leave.

Colbert & Tomlin...you better have something up your sleeve.

Don't look at that man behind the curtain.

BlastFurnace
03-09-2013, 01:29 PM
Absofuckinlutely.

I am livid.

I have a feeling that Woodley may be the most disliked Steeler with today's move.

SteelerFanInStl
03-09-2013, 02:14 PM

Yep. I couldn't agree more. This move just pisses me off.

It's not going to do any good to sign Lewis to a new contract if you don't have anyone that can put pressure on the QB.

Craic
03-09-2013, 02:16 PM
Hate to bust ya'lls bubble, but he wasn't our best linebacker last year. Depending on what stat you look at he was either our second or third best. Yes, I wish we could have kept him. I think he probably still has two or three more good years left in him, but this is a long term move rather than short term. It seems the Steelers are finished "keeping the team together" and are going young for the future. I think it's a great overall objective, even if I am sad to see him go.

Count Steeler
03-09-2013, 02:25 PM
http://Harrison rejected 30-percent pay cut, opportunity to earn it back

The Steelers opted to move on from veteran linebacker James Harrison on Saturday after talks aimed at reducing his 2013 cap number reached impasse.

Per a league source, the Steelers offered a reduction of roughly 30 percent in Harrison’s base salary of $6.57 million, with an opportunity to earn the money back via incentives. (The specific terms of the incentives aren’t known.)

- - - Updated - - -

:puke: Baltimore is in the running to get Harrison. :puke: Or the Browns. :puke:

steeldawg
03-09-2013, 02:25 PM
I really dont think its going to hurt us, its not like we had much of a pass rush last season with harrison. I dont understand why everyone is acting like this is a move the steelers cant overcome? I think if this helps gets lewis back then its well worth it.

SteelerFanInStl
03-09-2013, 02:29 PM
Hate to bust ya'lls bubble, but he wasn't our best linebacker last year. Depending on what stat you look at he was either our second or third best.

The last 6-7 games, which is when he finally got healthy, he was right up there with Timmons.

steeldawg
03-09-2013, 02:31 PM
The last 6-7 games, which is when he finally got healthy, he was right up there with Timmons.

He was better healthy but he was not playing on timmons level, timmons was flying all over the field.

Craic
03-09-2013, 02:36 PM

Maybe, but as I keep saying, that wasn't when our defense was at it's strongest. He was playing at below average to average NFL linebacker ability in the middle of the season, and that's when our "D" was excellent.

SteelerFanInStl
03-09-2013, 02:44 PM
I really dont think its going to hurt us, its not like we had much of a pass rush last season with harrison. I dont understand why everyone is acting like this is a move the steelers cant overcome? I think if this helps gets lewis back then its well worth it.

How so? What good does it do to have a great secondary if you don't put any pressure on the QB? Even the best CBs in the NFL can't cover forever.

I also think that people are over-emphasizing Lewis a bit. Yes, he played well last year but that's the first time that he's shown anything. Was he just playing for a new contract? Possibly. What happens once he gets that contract? I'd like to see him get signed but I also don't want to see us over-pay for him.

Count Steeler
03-09-2013, 02:48 PM
How so? What good does it do to have a great secondary if you don't put any pressure on the QB? Even the best CBs in the NFL can't cover forever.

I also think that people are over-emphasizing Lewis a bit. Yes, he played well last year but that's the first time that he's shown anything. Was he just playing for a new contract? Possibly. What happens once he gets that contract? I'd like to see him get signed but I also don't want to see us over-pay for him.

I think the signing of Gay allows the Steelers to negotiate with Lewis from a position of strength, rather than desperation. I agree, Lewis had a good year, but what does his future hold? And he is from the Ike Taylor school of CBs, great coverage, but no ball hawking skills. Cortez has shown that he is a ball hawk.

steeldawg
03-09-2013, 02:49 PM

We didnt pressure the qb last season and lewis was great he was a much bigger impact player to our defense last year than harrison was i dont even think theres an arguement there. If you think keeping harrison for one more season where he may or may not perform is worth not keeping a young healthy lock down corner then i dont know what to tell you.

Dwinsgames
03-09-2013, 02:58 PM
We didnt pressure the qb last season and lewis was great he was a much bigger impact player to our defense last year than harrison was i dont even think theres an arguement there. If you think keeping harrison for one more season where he may or may not perform is worth not keeping a young healthy lock down corner then i dont know what to tell you.

he showed that ability for 1 season while in the Burgh , its not like he wrote the book on coverage all the sudden ... Hell William Gay had 1 great year ( I believe his second year in the league ) then showed he was not all that ( except when playing the slot ) ..... Lewis could not beat out Gay just 2 short years ago ( OR MCFADDEN ) .... Sure he holds some value but he is a guy who could go either way , spending BIG money on him would be a huge gamble IMO

blackngldblood
03-09-2013, 03:03 PM
What is the scouting report on this Adrian Robinson kid? I don't remember where it was, but on some board(maybe here) there was a lot of raving going on about him.

Anyways, I hate to see Deebo go. We will miss him, but it's not the end of the world. We will recover. Hopefully we get lucky for a fourth time in a row on the outside, hopefully.......

SteelerFanInStl
03-09-2013, 03:05 PM

That's not what I said and I would hardly call Lewis a "lock down" corner.

Read Dwinsgames post above. He gets what I was saying.

Dwinsgames
03-09-2013, 03:06 PM
What is the scouting report on this Adrian Robinson kid? I don't remember where it was, but on some board(maybe here) there was a lot of raving going on about him.

Anyways, I hate to see Deebo go. We will miss him, but it's not the end of the world. We will recover. Hopefully we get lucky for a fourth time in a row on the outside, hopefully.......

I LOVE this kids pass rushing skills , after that though his game has a lot of flaws , one trick pony ( a trick he is very good at ) now if he has refined some of his game in other areas he could be a solution ... almost forgot about him

st33lersguy
03-09-2013, 03:16 PM
I think it was a move that needed to be made. 6.57 million dollars was too expensive to keep a player who was injury prone the past 2 years and frankly had declined and may have declined even more in 2013. If this move causes the Steelers to draft an OLB in the first round (and it likely will) and that player ends up having a terrific year, it will be worth

blackngldblood
03-09-2013, 03:24 PM
I LOVE this kids pass rushing skills , after that though his game has a lot of flaws , one trick pony ( a trick he is very good at ) now if he has refined some of his game in other areas he could be a solution ... almost forgot about him

I'm not too sure on how the reports were coming in on Harrison at the time of Porters departure, but I have learned to have faith in the decision making of the Steelers FO. Maybe this Robinson kid will turn out to be a beast. Have faith and sleep tight we will make it through this.

In the words of a legend " It's been a great run but all good things must come to a end. Thank you Steelers Nation I will miss you all!" :no:

When the time is right, they will let him come back and retire in black and gold.

86WARD
03-09-2013, 03:44 PM
Lose Harrison, Browns already looking at Lewis...lol. Who cares...Steelers will be fine...we still got Woodley...

blackngldblood
03-09-2013, 03:50 PM
Lose Harrison, Browns already looking at Lewis...lol. Who cares...Steelers will be fine...we still got Woodley...

If Lewis wants to go and be under .500 every year for a while with the browns let him. We still got ball hawk Allen behind Lewis. We WILL be fine.

86WARD
03-09-2013, 04:02 PM
If Lewis wants to go and be under .500 every year for a while with the browns let him. We still got ball hawk Allen behind Lewis. We WILL be fine.

At the rate things are going...it could be a better move to go to Cleveland...lol.

No running game, a questionable passing game at the moment, a shitty LB-corp and a questionable line and back end to the D. Oh yeah...they WILL be fine...

Count Steeler
03-09-2013, 04:11 PM
At the rate things are going...it could be a better move to go to Cleveland...lol.

No running game, a questionable passing game at the moment, a shitty LB-corp and a questionable line and back end to the D. Oh yeah...they WILL be fine...

Well, we do have a QB. Only problem is, it is rare we put up more than 30 points, something that we are going to have to get better at.

Dwinsgames
03-09-2013, 04:32 PM
NFL.com up to its usual stupid articles ..landing spots for Harrison being its newest in the countless numbers they have produced ...

they talk about Harrison signing on the cheap in this city or that city ... blah blah blah ... if he refused to play for a 30% pay cut ( that would have been 4.2 mill this year ) and the opportunity to make up that 30% in incentives why in the hell would he sign on the cheap elsewhere ???????

STUPID " paid journalist " and I am using the word journalist in its loosest possible terms .....

Devilsdancefloor
03-09-2013, 04:49 PM
worilds you have HUGE shoes to fill! Although he was hurt for half the season whne he finally got healthy so did the steelers Run D. He sets the edge very very well. He will be sorely missed.

steelreserve
03-09-2013, 04:59 PM
Well, I guess OLB becomes a new need for us with the 17th pick. Maybe they have their eyes on someone. Hopefully not another Bruce Davis-alike. That would spell disaster for years.

Mojouw
03-09-2013, 05:04 PM
worilds you have HUGE shoes to fill! Although he was hurt for half the season whne he finally got healthy so did the steelers Run D. He sets the edge very very well. He will be sorely missed.

Setting the edge in the run is actually more of a concern of mine than the pass rush skills. Harrison was downright immovable when he put his mind to it.

- - - Updated - - -

NFL.com up to its usual stupid articles ..landing spots for Harrison being its newest in the countless numbers they have produced ...

they talk about Harrison signing on the cheap in this city or that city ... blah blah blah ... if he refused to play for a 30% pay cut ( that would have been 4.2 mill this year ) and the opportunity to make up that 30% in incentives why in the hell would he sign on the cheap elsewhere ???????

STUPID " paid journalist " and I am using the word journalist in its loosest possible terms .....

So the author's overall conclusion is that any team that plays a 3-4 and wants to rush the passer could use a healthy effective James Harrison. Shocking!

Dwins, I agree, why would Harrison sign for less if he didn't want to take a pay cut here?

steel striker
03-09-2013, 05:26 PM
This sucks like many have mentioned it could comne back to haunt us. I don't like it at all. I guess we will see what Worilds can do but, after watching him last season the Jury is still out. Certainly will be a different looking team wo/ Harrison, Wallace, Mendy. I hope we can resign Lewis at CB if we don't Ben & the offense will need to put up 35 points a game.

Psycho Ward 86
03-09-2013, 05:37 PM
whats all this babbling about keenan only being good for one year, and only because he's playing for a contract? what about wallace? he was a darn good player for all of his seasons until his contract season? do you guys have some kind of crystal ball that tells you exactly what happened to his performance and why? is it because he's lazy? doesnt that just make keenan a high effort player? sure looked to me like a lot of those passes defensed were extraordinary hustle plays. What about mclendon? he didnt flash much of anything at all until his 3rd season. lewis didnt flash much of anything until his 3rd season either. neither did other guys like dwyer.

arent we used to players developing slowly by now? especially on defense, where keith butler and dick lebeau drone on and on about how hard it is to master right away? if we dont get lewis signed, even after harrison got cut, the cornerbacks are still looking like a good group, but id like to see what all the Keenan lewis-haters suggestions are as to what to do with the remainder of the cap money.

Steelman
03-09-2013, 05:40 PM
Well, I guess OLB becomes a new need for us with the 17th pick. Maybe they have their eyes on someone. Hopefully not another Bruce Davis-alike. That would spell disaster for years.

Damn, there's a name I was glad to forget about.

Hurts to see Deebo go, the man was a true Steeler. Best of luck elsewhere, James!

Psycho Ward 86
03-09-2013, 05:45 PM
Well, we do have a QB. Only problem is, it is rare we put up more than 30 points, something that we are going to have to get better at.

yeah i agree, which is why i find it funny that people take the likely departures of foster, legursky, and wallace sooo lightly

katmandu
03-09-2013, 05:47 PM
Basically if the Steelers play their cards right and Harrison doesn't let pride get in the way, they should be able to get his services for about 2/3 of what he's scheduled to get paid.

In other words I think the Steelers have the stronger hand in this negotiation. Pride is the only thing that could screw it up.Well, now we know.

Got to LOVE that Foolish PRIDE. :der:

SteelerFanInStl
03-09-2013, 06:11 PM
whats all this babbling about keenan only being good for one year, and only because he's playing for a contract? what about wallace? he was a darn good player for all of his seasons until his contract season? do you guys have some kind of crystal ball that tells you exactly what happened to his performance and why? is it because he's lazy? doesnt that just make keenan a high effort player? sure looked to me like a lot of those passes defensed were extraordinary hustle plays. What about mclendon? he didnt flash much of anything at all until his 3rd season. lewis didnt flash much of anything until his 3rd season either. neither did other guys like dwyer.

arent we used to players developing slowly by now? especially on defense, where keith butler and dick lebeau drone on and on about how hard it is to master right away? if we dont get lewis signed, even after harrison got cut, the cornerbacks are still looking like a good group, but id like to see what all the Keenan lewis-haters suggestions are as to what to do with the remainder of the cap money.

:lol: Oh, I forgot. That's right, Keenan is an All Pro. Let's give him a ton of money and get ourselves into another Woodley type situation.

Calm down. No one here has predicted the future. These are all questions, not answers. Keenan has had one good year. He didn't do anything his first two years so I don't see how you could say that he was "a darn good player". Many people here were calling him a bust before last year. I hope that he continues to get better and that he does that in a Steelers uniform. However, I don't think that we should give him a huge contract. That would be stupid. Lot's of players have had a good contract year and then disappeared after getting paid. I'm not saying that's going to happen here but no one knows. I'm sure that the Steelers will play this smart.

Why bring McClendon and Dwyer in to this? They were a free agent and late round pick, not 3rd round picks. Not comparable.

I guess if you ever question anything about any Steelers player or coach you're automatically labeled a "hater". :lol:

lilyoder6
03-09-2013, 06:12 PM
it was time for harrison to go imo.. he couldnt cover anyone coming out of the backfield when he didnt rush the qb, and even when he did rush the qb he wasnt the same as yrs past.. he may have a pretty good season this yr, but it was time to get young on defense.. and i feel like worlids will be a fine replacement for harrison.. he held his own when he came in splitting time at harrison`s spot and then replacing woodly.. i feel like he just needs some more game time to get into his groove, something like lewis did this past yr.. worst case they draft jones or that kid from byu in the 1st and roll with him.. it would of been nice to have traded deebo and gotten something out of him.. lol

Psycho Ward 86
03-09-2013, 06:33 PM
:lol: Oh, I forgot. That's right, Keenan is an All Pro. Let's give him a ton of money and get ourselves into another Woodley type situation.

Calm down. No one here has predicted the future. These are all questions, not answers. Keenan has had one good year. He didn't do anything his first two years so I don't see how you could say that he was "a darn good player". Many people here were calling him a bust before last year. I hope that he continues to get better and that he does that in a Steelers uniform. However, I don't think that we should give him a huge contract. That would be stupid. Lot's of players have had a good contract year and then disappeared after getting paid. I'm not saying that's going to happen here but no one knows. I'm sure that the Steelers will play this smart.

Why bring McClendon and Dwyer in to this? They were a free agent and late round pick, not 3rd round picks. Not comparable.

I guess if you ever question anything about any Steelers player or coach you're automatically labeled a "hater". :lol:

lots of players also have a good contract year and continue to be good after getting paid. you honestly think an NFL franchise can make it through the NFL by paying young rising players bargain prices even if theyve been productive through their rookie contract? this roster would be looking a whole lot empiter if we did that. i would at least acknowledge the fact that keith butler and dick lebeau themselves even talk all the time about how it can take a lot of time to master our defense. i know this sounds like insanity to you, but a lot of players that have been stalwarts on this defense didnt become starters for a long time either...including ( wait for it)

JAMES HARRISON.

Mclendon and dwyer arent comparable either because they are lower round draft picks? Of course they are. how does draft position have anything to do with any of this? mclendon and dwyer are being conveyed as examples because of their comparability value in production, potential as a full time starter, and ceiling as a player. they arent perfect examples but jesus christ, theres only one keenan lewis. do you even know who YOU'RE trying to compare him with?

BlastFurnace
03-09-2013, 07:03 PM
I think it was a move that needed to be made. 6.57 million dollars was too expensive to keep a player who was injury prone the past 2 years and frankly had declined and may have declined even more in 2013. If this move causes the Steelers to draft an OLB in the first round (and it likely will) and that player ends up having a terrific year, it will be worth

One more injury filled season like 2012, and we will be reading a very similar thread about Troy next year.

Steeldude
03-09-2013, 07:08 PM
Time to re-build and start cutting unneeded salaries.

Looks like I was correct about Woodley and his absurd contract. The Steelers had to release their only OLB because of a bloated player and his bloated contract. Good job, Colbert :thumbdown:

Steeldude
03-09-2013, 07:13 PM
and i feel like worlids will be a fine replacement for harrison

Worilds was absolutely horrible at ROLB. No one on the roster can play ROLB. Worilds was fine at LOLB with TEs or RBs blocking him, but not on the right with a tackle on him.

The Bengals could pick Harrison up. They do have a lot of cap room

Bluecoat96
03-09-2013, 07:43 PM
http://www.maclife.com/files/u286882/sky-is-falling.jpg

Moose
03-09-2013, 08:48 PM
Thanks James for the GREAT memories.... and awesome 'sticks' that were always on the sport networks. Hell-of-a player in your prime....then the damn fines came !! Good luck in your future, although I hope you don't play against us. Thanks man !

GBMelBlount
03-09-2013, 09:47 PM
Time to re-build and start cutting a lot of players.

Looks like I was correct about Woodley and his absurd contract.

The Steelers had to release their only OLB because of a bloated player and his bloated contract.

Good job, Colbert :thumbdown:

THIS is what pisses me off.

Harrison is gone because Woodley is getting paid $10 mil to eat cream puffs and suck donkey dick on the field.

Rationalize it however you want but this is what it comes down to for me.

Dwinsgames
03-09-2013, 09:56 PM
THIS is what pisses me off.

Harrison is gone because Woodley is getting paid $10 mil to eat cream puffs and suck donkey dick on the field.

Rationalize it however you want but this is what it comes down to for me.

see Colon thread too

86WARD
03-09-2013, 10:30 PM
Worilds was absolutely horrible at ROLB. No one on the roster can play ROLB. Worilds was fine at LOLB with TEs or RBs blocking him, but not on the right with a tackle on him.

The Bengals could pick Harrison up. They do have a lot of cap room

I'm not understanding where and why people are thinking that Worlids is an adequate replacement for Harrison. It's not even close to adequate. Maybe if he was replaceing Woodley but Harrison, nope.

Bengals, Browns, Dolphins...Miami is looking at Wallace, looking at Mendenhall...why not Harrison too...

Craic
03-09-2013, 10:51 PM

No, he played very well the year before as well, but he still had boneheaded moments here and there, and that's what kept him off the field, like his fight in preseason a couple years ago. He's steadily improved. It also works the other way, if the CB's cover for a bit longer than our used to, then we have more than two seconds to put pressure on the QB as well. I mean, once again, look at last year. Not too much pressure, but once our CB's turned it on (before they all got injured), our pass coverage was excellent, and we shut down teams in the fourth quarter. That's something we've not been able to do for a couple decades. Cowher's teams had the same problem . . . and I'm coming to believe that it's because of an over-emphasis on linebackers rather than a balanced emphasis on linebackers and CB's.

SteelerFanInStl
03-09-2013, 11:29 PM
lots of players also have a good contract year and continue to be good after getting paid. you honestly think an NFL franchise can make it through the NFL by paying young rising players bargain prices even if theyve been productive through their rookie contract? this roster would be looking a whole lot empiter if we did that. i would at least acknowledge the fact that keith butler and dick lebeau themselves even talk all the time about how it can take a lot of time to master our defense. i know this sounds like insanity to you, but a lot of players that have been stalwarts on this defense didnt become starters for a long time either...including ( wait for it)

JAMES HARRISON.

Mclendon and dwyer arent comparable either because they are lower round draft picks? Of course they are. how does draft position have anything to do with any of this? mclendon and dwyer are being conveyed as examples because of their comparability value in production, potential as a full time starter, and ceiling as a player. they arent perfect examples but jesus christ, theres only one keenan lewis. do you even know who YOU'RE trying to compare him with?

Who said anything about a "bargain price"? I sure didn't. I said that we shouldn't give him a huge contract. BIG difference there.

Earlier round draft picks SHOULD be expected to contribute earlier. That's why they're drafted earlier and why they're paid more money. Are you really trying to say that draft position doesn't matter? Are you saying that McLendon and Dwyer, when signed, were thought of as having the same potential and ceiling as Lewis when he was drafted? I doubt if the Steelers front office and coaches thought the same way.

This really doesn't have much to do with what was originally said about Lewis anyway and it certainly doesn't have anything to do with James being released.

Craic
03-10-2013, 12:03 AM
he showed that ability for 1 season while in the Burgh , its not like he wrote the book on coverage all the sudden ... Hell William Gay had 1 great year ( I believe his second year in the league ) then showed he was not all that ( except when playing the slot ) ..... Lewis could not beat out Gay just 2 short years ago ( OR MCFADDEN ) .... Sure he holds some value but he is a guy who could go either way , spending BIG money on him would be a huge gamble IMO

If I remember right, he actually could, and did beat him them out. However, he was in the doghouse that year because of his preseason fight. He hadn't quite grown up yet, something that looks like changed last year. It also takes a long time to start. Ike Taylor didn't start until his third year, which was our Superbowl year. Before that, he only had 36 tackles total, and 7 passes defended for two years worth of work. Then, he got benched in 06, before screwing his head on straight and playing practically every game over the next six years.

Lewis has a similar track record, only that for him it took three years, and his first year he only suited for four games. So really, he too took two years, and then came on strong this year with 56 tackles and 23 passes defended. I don't know why people don't realize that players have to develop two or three years when they come into the NFL, especially when their playing in a defense as complicated as ours.

Dwinsgames
03-10-2013, 12:18 AM
If I remember right, he actually could, and did beat him them out. However, he was in the doghouse that year because of his preseason fight. He hadn't quite grown up yet, something that looks like changed last year. It also takes a long time to start. Ike Taylor didn't start until his third year, which was our Superbowl year. Before that, he only had 36 tackles total, and 7 passes defended for two years worth of work. Then, he got benched in 06, before screwing his head on straight and playing practically every game over the next six years.

Lewis has a similar track record, only that for him it took three years, and his first year he only suited for four games. So really, he too took two years, and then came on strong this year with 56 tackles and 23 passes defended. I don't know why people don't realize that players have to develop two or three years when they come into the NFL, especially when their playing in a defense as complicated as ours.

Ike Taylor is not really a typical example you would use , considering he was a RB turned CB his senior year of College and was VERY raw coming into the league and was drafted as a project in the 4th round because of his size / speed ratio and they projected him as a guy with a ton of upside and they where correct but they knew it would take a few years to get him up to speed and it did ...

where as Lewis had played corner all through college ( and probably HS too ) and was supposedly far more NFL ready ... so while I understand your point it is a bit biased in its delivery IMO

zulater
03-10-2013, 12:30 AM
http://triblive.com/news/adminpage/3629414-74/harrison-steelers-player

Let's not pretend that Harrison and all he's represented, for better or worse, for remarkable or utterly reprehensible, isn't an enormous part of what the Steelers long have been about. Especially on defense.

This is the franchise whose iconic player's accepted first name was “Mean.” It's been the home to Jack Lambert's toothless growl, to Mel Blount's crushing hits that forced rule changes, to a string of over-the-edge outside linebackers from Greg Lloyd to Joey Porter to Harrison, perhaps the most feared of all.

Where will that come from, that sense that the Steelers are not only out to get your quarterback but also to break him into shish kabob-sized bits, now or in the foreseeable future?

From Jason Worilds?

Please. It's true he can squirt through the line for the occasional sack. But he can't stay on the field, he gets steamrollered on the run, and he'll strike as much terror into the heart of opponents as the long snapper.

From LaMarr Woodley?

The guy who was so banged up, so out of shape, that the Cowboys this past season assigned a 5-foot-9 running back to rub him out?

Dwinsgames
03-10-2013, 12:36 AM
http://triblive.com/news/adminpage/3629414-74/harrison-steelers-player

Let's not pretend that Harrison and all he's represented, for better or worse, for remarkable or utterly reprehensible, isn't an enormous part of what the Steelers long have been about. Especially on defense.

This is the franchise whose iconic player's accepted first name was “Mean.” It's been the home to Jack Lambert's toothless growl, to Mel Blount's crushing hits that forced rule changes, to a string of over-the-edge outside linebackers from Greg Lloyd to Joey Porter to Harrison, perhaps the most feared of all.

Where will that come from, that sense that the Steelers are not only out to get your quarterback but also to break him into shish kabob-sized bits, now or in the foreseeable future?

From Jason Worilds?

Please. It's true he can squirt through the line for the occasional sack. But he can't stay on the field, he gets steamrollered on the run, and he'll strike as much terror into the heart of opponents as the long snapper.

From LaMarr Woodley?

The guy who was so banged up, so out of shape, that the Cowboys this past season assigned a 5-foot-9 running back to rub him out?

maybe from the guy they spent ( reportedly ) a LOT of time with at his pro day ....

but he would require a first round selection ( keep that in mind ) ........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Pxj59C-Xzag

Steeldude
03-10-2013, 04:44 AM
The Steelers will have to spend the 1st round pick on an OLB. At first I was hoping they would get Jarvis Jones, but his spinal condition leaves me doubting. I suppose if the doctors clear him then he is the top target.

zulater
03-10-2013, 09:06 AM
I really doubt that Harrison will get what he turned down from the Steelers from anyone else in the league. Just came down to a pride thing, where he wouldn't take a pay cut when he had a signed contract. In a sense I get his point, even respect it. But I also understand it's a business, and Harrison knows how the NFL works, and that signing bonus is the only real guaranteed money in the NFL. So he shouldn't have let hurt feeling back him into a corner he couldn't get out of.

So next season he'll probably be playing for a team who his talents are less suited for, for less money than what he he walked away from yesterday. :doh:

Both he and the Steelers lost big time on this one. :frusty:

BlastFurnace
03-10-2013, 10:46 AM
I really doubt that Harrison will get what he turned down from the Steelers from anyone else in the league. Just came down to a pride thing, where he wouldn't take a pay cut when he had a signed contract. In a sense I get his point, even respect it. But I also understand it's a business, and Harrison knows how the NFL works, and that signing bonus is the only real guaranteed money in the NFL. So he shouldn't have let hurt feeling back him into a corner he couldn't get out of.

So next season he'll probably be playing for a team who his talents are less suited for, for less money than what he he walked away from yesterday. :doh:

Both he and the Steelers lost big time on this one. :frusty:

Exactly right.

Mojouw
03-10-2013, 11:41 AM
I have a dream where the Steelers trade multiple early round picks this year to acquire enough ammunition to get their hands on Clowney and we can all watch this happen for years http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENuZHnQlqX0

I know it is not going to happen, but could you imagine what Clowney, Timmons, and a motivated in shape Woodley could do? Man oh man.

steelerdude15
03-10-2013, 11:47 AM
The Steelers will have to spend the 1st round pick on an OLB. At first I was hoping they would get Jarvis Jones, but his spinal condition leaves me doubting. I suppose if the doctors clear him then he is the top target.

It seems that he's cleared all doctors test and did so at the combine. I think he'd be a great fit and be a big playmaker for this team. If he can work on his explosiveness off the line and his block-shredding technique, he'll be an absolute monster.

Shoes
03-10-2013, 12:21 PM
It seems that he's cleared all doctors test and did so at the combine. I think he'd be a great fit and be a big playmaker for this team. If he can work on his explosiveness off the line and his block-shredding technique, he'll be an absolute monster.

One can always hope, but I think he will be picked before 17.

*Jarvis Jones’ neck injury is starting to look like it might be a non-issue on draft day, and there is little chance he will fall out of the top 10. In a medical report that was sent to NFL teams, leading orthopedist Craig Brigham refutes that Jones ever had a significant spinal cord contusion. When he was at Southern Cal, the pass rusher was diagnosed with one, and Southern Cal did not allow him to play in 2010. Jones transferred to Georgia and played two seasons with no problems. Brigham concluded that Jones either had a very mild incident of spinal cord concussion or merely a stinger that has long since resolved. Even if another similar injury occurred, Brigham concluded it would not be a career ending issue. After recently examining Jones, Brigham concluded, “Jarvis is cleared to play without restriction.”

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/...ce=twitterfeed (http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/NFP-Sunday-Blitz-5821.html?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed)

Dwinsgames
03-10-2013, 12:29 PM
I had read where some teams took Jones off their boards due to medical , while other teams passed him ... so it is anyone's guess where he truly stands medically ... great player that comes with the risk factor already built in ... the question teams will have to ask themselves is does the risk outweigh the reward and that answer may vary team to team

Psycho Ward 86
03-10-2013, 01:40 PM
Who said anything about a "bargain price"? I sure didn't. I said that we shouldn't give him a huge contract. BIG difference there.

Earlier round draft picks SHOULD be expected to contribute earlier. That's why they're drafted earlier and why they're paid more money. Are you really trying to say that draft position doesn't matter? Are you saying that McLendon and Dwyer, when signed, were thought of as having the same potential and ceiling as Lewis when he was drafted? I doubt if the Steelers front office and coaches thought the same way.

This really doesn't have much to do with what was originally said about Lewis anyway and it certainly doesn't have anything to do with James being released.

oh so you dont want bargain price free agents? so you expect a series of shitty drafts and moderately priced free agents to do the job for us? we cant even afford free agents of median market value. unless you know, we restructure all of our top paid players and throw our cap hit even higher for the next couple years. you do know that right? you just have too many empty holes in your answers. What in the hell are you expecting out of the team if you think its ok to let young, talented UFA's like lewis go and force the team to keep aging veterans around for their short term value? thats NOT how were used to operating. were used to having leverage on these declining, aging veterans because we have young players on the rise ready to take over...you know, back when our draft picks decided to play well enough to make it happen. thats not happening anymore.

completely taking my words out of context. draft position obviously matters in the fact that earlier draft picks are expected to contribute more, and earlier. duh? but thats not how i talked about it in context. you said mclendon and dwyer are invalid comparisons to the rate of time over which keenan lewis was developing because they were late round draft picks/undrafted. i disagreed because i clearly used them as examples from a production standpoint and nothing more. i even said that. didnt mention a thing about potential of any of these folks upon being picked up/drafted. i was talking about their ceiling AFTER they have proven that they can produce in some significant form for us, and even mentioned so.

it has plenty to do with what was said about lewis and has plenty to do with harrison being released. harrison's release means $5.105 million extra in cap space and an opportunity to lock down some of our own key free agents out there if we want to. lewis being one of those possible free agents. youve just run around so many circles at this point you dont even remember what you were talking about.

- - - Updated - - -

I know it is not going to happen, but could you imagine what Clowney, Timmons, and a motivated in shape Woodley could do? Man oh man.

haha never heard of one of those :lol:

SteelerFanInStl
03-10-2013, 02:03 PM
oh so you dont want bargain price free agents? so you expect a series of shitty drafts and moderately priced free agents to do the job for us? we cant even afford free agents of median market value. unless you know, we restructure all of our top paid players and throw our cap hit even higher for the next couple years. you do know that right? you just have too many empty holes in your answers. What in the hell are you expecting out of the team if you think its ok to let young, talented UFA's like lewis go and force the team to keep aging veterans around for their short term value? thats NOT how were used to operating. were used to having leverage on these declining, aging veterans because we have young players on the rise ready to take over...you know, back when our draft picks decided to play well enough to make it happen. thats not happening anymore.

completely taking my words out of context. draft position obviously matters in the fact that earlier draft picks are expected to contribute more, and earlier. duh? but thats not how i talked about it in context. you said mclendon and dwyer are invalid comparisons to the rate of time over which keenan lewis was developing because they were late round draft picks/undrafted. i disagreed because i clearly used them as examples from a production standpoint and nothing more. i even said that. didnt mention a thing about potential of any of these folks upon being picked up/drafted. i was talking about their ceiling AFTER they have proven that they can produce in some significant form for us, and even mentioned so.

it has plenty to do with what was said about lewis and has plenty to do with harrison being released. harrison's release means $5.105 million extra in cap space and an opportunity to lock down some of our own key free agents out there if we want to. lewis being one of those possible free agents. youve just run around so many circles at this point you dont even remember what you were talking about.

:lol: Your reading comprehension completely sucks. You don't directly respond to anything that I say and all you do is go off on a tangent and take everything to the extreme.

You're the one that came in here crying about Lewis and acting like people were saying that we should have kept James instead of signing Lewis. NO ONE SAID ANY SUCH THING! You called people "haters" because we questioned whether or not Lewis was worth a huge contract. I guess in your world no one is allowed to question anything in regards to a Steeler player or coach.

I said that I didn't say that we should sign Lewis at a "bargain price" and you come back with "so you don't want bargain price free agents" and then you fly off on another tangent. :lol: WTF? You're not even worth talking to.

Psycho Ward 86
03-10-2013, 02:15 PM
:lol: Your reading comprehension completely sucks. You don't directly respond to anything that I say and all you do is go off on a tangent and take everything to the extreme.

You're the one that came in here crying about Lewis and acting like people were saying that we should have kept James instead of signing Lewis. NO ONE SAID ANY SUCH THING! You called people "haters" because we questioned whether or not Lewis was worth a huge contract. I guess in your world no one is allowed to question anything in regards to a Steeler player or coach.

I said that I didn't say that we should sign Lewis at a "bargain price" and you come back with "so you don't want bargain price free agents" and then you fly off on another tangent. :lol: WTF? You're not even worth talking to.

thats hilarious because thats exactly what you did to yourself, so much to the point that you forgot what you were talking about. nope, never said anything was wrong with questioning a steelers player or coach. ive been getting a lot of flak for doing just that actually in another thread because apparently no one around here thinks any other organization like the patriots, packers, or ravens are even comparable to our front office. dont get angry just because you keep putting words in my mouth and im not accepting them :). i didnt say keenan lewis is worth a huge contract either. i just suggested that the extra $5.105 million that harrison's release opens up should help us consider resigning some of our more important young ufa's such as lewis. lol...i didnt fly off another random tangent. these are pretty valid questions. i see reasons to dispute most of what you say and im able to tell you why. obviously you have no idea how to answer my questions other than telling people they have no idea what theyre talking about. if youre going to defer questions, just defer them, dont get angry :). ive been answering whatever holes are in my answers, but you havent. you can take them as actual questions or hypotheticals, whatever fills your hearts desires :).

steelerdude15
03-10-2013, 09:07 PM
One can always hope, but I think he will be picked before 17.

*Jarvis Jones’ neck injury is starting to look like it might be a non-issue on draft day, and there is little chance he will fall out of the top 10. In a medical report that was sent to NFL teams, leading orthopedist Craig Brigham refutes that Jones ever had a significant spinal cord contusion. When he was at Southern Cal, the pass rusher was diagnosed with one, and Southern Cal did not allow him to play in 2010. Jones transferred to Georgia and played two seasons with no problems. Brigham concluded that Jones either had a very mild incident of spinal cord concussion or merely a stinger that has long since resolved. Even if another similar injury occurred, Brigham concluded it would not be a career ending issue. After recently examining Jones, Brigham concluded, “Jarvis is cleared to play without restriction.”

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/...ce=twitterfeed (http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/NFP-Sunday-Blitz-5821.html?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed)

I don't know... some mock drafts say he'll be gone by then, some say he'll be ours at seventeen. Actually, it seems that most mock drafts have him gone before seventeen. I hope he'll be there.

86WARD
03-10-2013, 10:55 PM
Harrison reportedly interested in playing for Cleveland, Baltimore or the Saints...lol.

steelerdude15
03-11-2013, 09:23 AM
Harrison reportedly interested in playing for Cleveland, Baltimore or the Saints...lol.

Lets hope he goes to the Saints. It would suck to see him in a Ravens uniform... Again.

Dwinsgames
03-11-2013, 10:05 AM
Lets hope he goes to the Saints. It would suck to see him in a Ravens uniform... Again.

well actually my guess is nobody here ever seen him in a Ravens uni the first time around ... but point taken

steelreserve
03-11-2013, 11:37 AM

Baltimore seems kind of a doubtful landing place. They just asked Boldin to take a pay cut despite being the one guy who singlehandedly carried that team and overrated Moonball Joe through the playoffs. And I think he makes the same or less than what Harrison would've gotten. It would probably have made more sense for him to come back and sign our reduced incentive-laden offer than whatever Baltimore can put together.

st33lersguy
03-11-2013, 03:48 PM
Please signwith the Saints Harrison

stillers4me
03-12-2013, 04:35 PM
Ed Bouchette thinks that James may not actually have to clean out his locker.........yet.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/120235-ed-bouchettes-steelers-chat-31213

Sweet Suzie: Do you think James Harrison maybe resigned?

Ed Bouchette: I think he will, although I don't think he will get what he was supposed to get with the Steelers in pay, but then the Steelers weren't going to pay that to him

zulater
03-12-2013, 06:26 PM
Ed Bouchette thinks that James may not actually have to clean out his locker.........yet.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/120235-ed-bouchettes-steelers-chat-31213

I really doubt there's going to be a better offer out there for Harrison than what he turned down from the Steelers last week. But that doesn't mean he'll come back to the Steelers. For one I think he's got more pride than sense. Two, I don't think the Steelers offer from last week will still be on the table after they've addressed other free agent needs.

steel9guy
03-12-2013, 10:06 PM
I googled James Harrison 31 times on my phone today and 20 times on my computer. This is killing me, I can't stand to watch football with him as a raven. I really hope he comes back. I really hope.