PDA

View Full Version : Commish and NFL no friend of the fans

venom
08-01-2010, 09:34 AM
The mark of modern sports stewardship has become the leaders' ability to grab our wallets with one hand, shove us into traffic with the other, and still be able to stare into a TV camera and say that we owe him no thanks, being good to us comes with the job.
At a time when the NFL has never been as greed-stricken and greed-sickened, NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell appeared on TV, Thursday night, to declare that he and the NFL, as always, are on your side. He did so on the NFL Network, which all fans and non-fans, by now, were expected to pay for, whether they liked it or not, and all cable companies, by now, were supposed to have cleared because, after all, it's the NFL Network.

Read the rest at - http://www.nypost.com/f/print/sports/more_sports/goodell_for_nothing_eOtEATnzVuM4zYhFdI3v9J

SMR
08-01-2010, 10:19 AM
I'm confused. I thought it was "all about the fans". Huh?

:rolleyes2:

silver & black
08-01-2010, 12:46 PM
Pretty soon, I won't care how bad the Raiders suck anymore... I won't even care about professionall sports at all.

JonM229
08-01-2010, 11:21 PM
This is news?

SMR
08-02-2010, 03:03 PM
This is news?

That's what I was thinking, heh.

LLT
08-02-2010, 03:26 PM
let me give you a perfect example about how much the Commish is on the "side of the fans". My brother is a Cowboys fan (I know...I know). He bought tickets to a Sunday afternoon game in Dallas for himself and his two sons. Because the Commish is sooo interested in sucking every penny in revenue he can out of advertising and through the contracts with the big Networks......the Dallas game was moved to a "night" game. This meant that my brother was forced into either a) having to pay several hundred dollars to change his departure time...or b) missing a portion of the game. He ended up having to leave in the middle of the third quarter to make his flight.

Thanks Roger......you are NO friend of the fans. You are a money grubbing hypocrit who tries desperately to prove that you have a spine but in reality you are little more than a mouthpiece for those less-than-moral owners (*cough* Kraft *cough*) that you are afraid to cross.

Kittyfish
08-02-2010, 07:38 PM
While "the game's all about the fans," the largest, ugliest and most revolting NFL consumer issue in the league's largest market is still, months after it began, erupting, still spewing toxic ooze.

The Jets and Giants in order to pay for a new stadium that few wanted, have each quickly eaten through more than 20 years of ticket-waiting lists, leaving each team to troll for unregistered chumps to fill the stadium. Both still desperately seek purchasers of extortion-based personal seat licenses (PSLs), plus game tickets that carrying face values nearly 10 times what they were two seasons ago.

And the only thing that could have happened -- generations of devoted, stand-for-anything Jets and Giants patrons, tens of thousands of them, were shoved to the last rows of the new stadium or priced out, completely -- is exactly what has happened.
<snip>
Typical PSL scenario: Jets' ticket holder since the Shea days, four tickets at the 40. Last year, the tickets were raised to $105 per game. Throw in the two must-buy exhibition game extorts -- at full, regular season prices -- and his pre-parking bill for last season was $4,200, the highest it had ever been, but OK.

This season? The Jets wanted $700 per ticket per game, plus $20,000 per seat for the PSLs -- a total of $108,000!
(Bolding mine)

:jawdrop2:

Maybe I'm naive and behind the times, but I found the above truly alarming. Who the heck can pay that kind of money on a freaking hobby, no matter how devoted they may be as fans? Just who do they expect to buy these tickets at those prices? Even in a good economy, $108,000 is a pretty big chunk of change to spend on entertainment. They've already burned through 20 years of waiting lists (in other words, the most devoted fans). Plus add on the outrageous money the rookies get, who have yet to play a professional game (and who may turn out to be huge busts yet they still get their money), and then everybody wants to set the new record for the highest paid player in their position. This simply can not go on - the snake is eating its tail. I don't know what is going to happen but SOMETHING has to. This state of affairs simply cannot continue.

A fascinating read, but as I said, truly, truly alarming.

steel striker
08-03-2010, 01:58 PM
Seems to me you have to be pretty well off to afford season tickets these days.