PDA

View Full Version : Inside the ropes: Harrison back with intensity

polamalubeast
08-01-2010, 07:43 AM
It was the first practice of training camp, but James Harrison appeared to be in midseason form.

Harrison collided with fullback Tank Summers during a team drill that resonated around the St. Vincent College campus. Then, during the first play of 11-on-11, Harrison leveled Rashard Mendenhall after the running back caught a pass out of the backfield from Ben Roethlisberger.

"James is capable of that," Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said. "He probably wasn't even trying to do it."

Mendenhall quickly popped up and patted Harrison on the helmet.

Safety Ryan Clark had a chance at a knockout shot against Hines Ward earlier in practice, but decided to pull up at the last moment.

» During one-on-one linemen drills, it turned into a battle of first-round picks when 2009 top choice Ziggy Hood went against this year's No. 1 Maurkice Pouncey.

Hood delivered a slap to Pouncey's upper shoulder/helmet region that knocked the rookie flat on his behind.

Read more: http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_692952.html

SMR
08-01-2010, 07:47 AM
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_692952.html

It was the first practice of training camp, but James Harrison appeared to be in midseason form.

Harrison collided with fullback Tank Summers during a team drill that resonated around the St. Vincent College campus. Then, during the first play of 11-on-11, Harrison leveled Rashard Mendenhall after the running back caught a pass out of the backfield from Ben Roethlisberger.

"James is capable of that," Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said. "He probably wasn't even trying to do it."

Mendenhall quickly popped up and patted Harrison on the helmet.

Safety Ryan Clark had a chance at a knockout shot against Hines Ward earlier in practice, but decided to pull up at the last moment.

» During one-on-one linemen drills, it turned into a battle of first-round picks when 2009 top choice Ziggy Hood went against this year's No. 1 Maurkice Pouncey.

Hood delivered a slap to Pouncey's upper shoulder/helmet region that knocked the rookie flat on his behind.

Read more: http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_692952.html

IT'S OFFICIAL: SILVERBACK IS HUNGRY. :hungry:

stillers4me
08-01-2010, 07:54 AM
» Mendenhall continued with ball security issues. He had the football ripped from his grasp downfield by Clark during team drills.

:doh:

Burghfan58
08-01-2010, 08:52 AM
IT'S OFFICIAL: SILVERBACK IS HUNGRY. :hungry:

He may be peaking a little bit early.

hotrodder07
08-01-2010, 09:35 AM

» Mendenhall continued with ball security issues. He had the football ripped from his grasp downfield by Clark during team drills.

I'm not sure if I should be happy or sad about the first one. Hopefully Ziggy will be a force on the line this year, but I was also hoping Pouncey would be just as impressive. =P

As for Mendenhall putting the ball on the ground, all I can say is :doh:
Kid's gotta learn to hold onto the ball! If we're going to run the ball this year, he has to reduce the fumbles, for sure.

SMR
08-01-2010, 09:35 AM
He may be peaking a little bit early.

Let's hope we have a starving Silverback for the whole season. :tt03::tt03::tt03:

SMR
08-01-2010, 09:38 AM
I'm not sure if I should be happy or sad about the first one. Hopefully Ziggy will be a force on the line this year, but I was also hoping Pouncey would be just as impressive. =P

As for Mendenhall putting the ball on the ground, all I can say is :doh:
Kid's gotta learn to hold onto the ball! If we're going to run the ball this year, he has to reduce the fumbles, for sure.

Rashard needs to memorize this nifty little rhyme:

Mendenhall
Hold The Ball!

steeldevil
08-01-2010, 09:51 AM

Mendenhall
Hold The Ball!

:toofunny:

Burghfan58
08-01-2010, 09:52 AM

Mendenhall
Hold The Ball!

He may be carrying the ball around camp if he's not careful. I can see him now at the dinner table, fork in one hand and a Wilson in the other.

SteelerFanInStl
08-01-2010, 11:22 AM

Personally, I like that. I'm looking to see a lot more of Ziggy this year. Our D is gonna play with a huge chip on their shoulder this year and I can't wait!

stillers4me
08-01-2010, 11:25 AM
I think that all the haters that are discounting us this year, have completely forgotten the guys we have waiting in the wings ready to break out.

Good.

MULLDOG24
08-01-2010, 12:03 PM
I'm loving the intensity of camp thus far and hope it carries over to the season!!!!!

Psycho Ward 86
08-01-2010, 12:27 PM
The o-line is the more immediate need, so while im happy that it looks like Hood is thriving, im a little sad that Pouncey isnt gett put on his ass. Oh well, rookie year.

stillers4me
08-01-2010, 12:32 PM
The o-line is the more immediate need, so while im happy that it looks like Hood is thriving, im a little sad that Pouncey isnt gett put on his ass. Oh well, rookie year.

I'm not panicking yet. The guy didn't get into Latrobe until late Friday night, ran his conditioning test at 6 am and attended his first official NFL practice session in less than 24 hours. Let's give him at least 48 hours before calling him a bust.

Indo
08-01-2010, 01:09 PM
I'm not panicking yet. The guy didn't get into Latrobe until late Friday night, ran his conditioning test at 6 am and attended his first official NFL practice session in less than 24 hours. Let's give him at least 48 hours before calling him a bust.

Exactly.
It's more like, "Welcome to the NFL, Rookie. Now get your shit together."

Austin87
08-01-2010, 01:37 PM
Hopefully Harrison can carry this intensity through to the season. Everyone on the team will have to lift their game from last season. We need to bring hell...LOL.

steelerdude15
08-01-2010, 06:05 PM
Looks like things are getting back in order.

BigNastyDefense
08-01-2010, 07:06 PM
Silverback........we needed you to unleash hell last DECEMBER......it's AUGUST!

salamander
08-01-2010, 07:10 PM
I'm sure James Harrison was always this intense. It's a little hard to do anything when you're being held every damn play.

SMR
08-01-2010, 07:11 PM
Silverback........we needed you to unleash hell last DECEMBER......it's AUGUST!

Unleash it for August, September, October, November, December, January, and better be February too!

BigNastyDefense
08-01-2010, 07:14 PM
Unleash it for August, September, October, November, December, January, and better be February too!

Yeah....but not on your own teammates! We need Mendy healthy, especially for the first four to six games of the season.

Now if he wants to unleash hell in August...the 14th is our first preseason game....he can do it then!

As for Pouncey, I'm not concerned. He probably wasn't expecting something so intense on his first day of camp, especially with the day he already had.

Steeldude
08-01-2010, 08:06 PM
sounds to me like pouncey needs to be on the bench during his first year.

SMR
08-02-2010, 03:06 PM
Yeah....but not on your own teammates! We need Mendy healthy, especially for the first four to six games of the season.

Now if he wants to unleash hell in August...the 14th is our first preseason game....he can do it then!

As for Pouncey, I'm not concerned. He probably wasn't expecting something so intense on his first day of camp, especially with the day he already had.

Fine, not on our own teammates, but he better go after the Commish, and the refs when needed! :nod: