PDA

View Full Version : Brown: 'Awkwardness' with Mike Wallace

SteelerEmpire
02-27-2013, 02:45 PM
Article:

... (Brown) told ESPN Radio in New York that his relationship with wide receiver Mike Wallace wasn't exactly perfect after he signed a six-year, $43 million contract during Wallace's holdout last summer.

LINK: http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/73056/brown-awkwardness-with-mike-wallace

Dwinsgames
02-27-2013, 02:51 PM
Article:

... (Brown) told ESPN Radio in New York that his relationship with wide receiver Mike Wallace wasn't exactly perfect after he signed a six-year, $43 million contract during Wallace's holdout last summer.

LINK: http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/73056/brown-awkwardness-with-mike-wallace

Wallace has nobody to blame but himself , that money could have been his ..... if the relationship was strained that is all on Wallace , he should not blame Brown for taking the money he turned down

SteelerEmpire
02-27-2013, 02:53 PM
Wallace has nobody to blame but himself , that money could have been his ..... if the relationship was strained that is all on Wallace , he should not blame Brown for taking the money he turned down

I totally agree. That entire negotiation has been a total train wreck.

BlastFurnace
02-27-2013, 02:53 PM
Brown needs to be quiet and Wallace needs to leave town.

GBMelBlount
02-27-2013, 02:57 PM

Beat me to it. EXACTLY.

Devilsdancefloor
02-27-2013, 03:04 PM
Everyone needs to be quiet and come to work ready for ota's and camp

Craic
02-27-2013, 03:07 PM

Except that, IF the article the other day was correct concerning the amounts offered, then Brown was actually given a lot more money. Like I said, that'd be a slap in the face by the Steelers organization. It'd also be a designation of who the "face" of the Steelers WR unit is in the future. We all want these guys to simply be machines that go out there and play the game. It doesn't work that way. Feelings affect performance, period. All I know is, I can't wait for the offseason to be over.

86WARD
02-27-2013, 03:10 PM
More locker room disconnect.

Dwinsgames
02-27-2013, 03:16 PM
Except that, IF the article the other day was correct concerning the amounts offered, then Brown was actually given a lot more money. Like I said, that'd be a slap in the face by the Steelers organization. It'd also be a designation of who the "face" of the Steelers WR unit is in the future. We all want these guys to simply be machines that go out there and play the game. It doesn't work that way. Feelings affect performance, period. All I know is, I can't wait for the offseason to be over.

I must have missed that article , only numbers I have seen where rumored 5 year deal 50 million for Wallace ( which might be more than he gets as a FA )

Sure some teams have great interest but if he lolly gags trying to pry every dime out of teams the best suitor may sign someone else leaving lower $$ offers as the only offers on the table and if he continues to try and pry more $$$ he may end up signing a short term deal for far less than what he has already turned down .... he should not get Fitz money or Megatron money ( Fitz shouldn't be getting Fitz money right now without a QB the WR should hardly be the top paid guy on the team ) ... we only know what the media force feeds us , but for the most part they have shown Wallace as a greedy type ... is he ??? who knows we only know what is reported and all to often those reports are dead wrong ... we do know he was offered a deal by the Steelers , we do know he declined that deal ... as for what the exact offer was , well we might not even know that

SteelerEmpire
02-27-2013, 03:16 PM

Good point as well. Since the sports media is so into what's going on inside the Steelers locker room, they should ask a few questions surrounding this issue.

Psycho Ward 86
02-27-2013, 03:17 PM
Wallace has nobody to blame but himself , that money could have been his .....

blame himself for what? you think wallace is actually going to come out of this a loser :lol:? wallace was offered even more money than brown and turned it down because he knows some wide-receiver needy team is going to go bonkers for him and give him millions more. selfish? yes. can you blame the guy? no. its so easy to scold these athletes because theyre spoiled silly making millions for playing a game, but if you have the opportunity to make millions more elsewhere, im pretty sure most people would take that opportunity. the nfl is a short, but extremely productive CAREER folks, and you never know when its going to end. from a player's personal standpoint, its probably better to take the biggest sum of money and run. from a fan's standpoint, which clearly most of us look from (because thats all we are) it seems better to be paid fairly and create a legacy with a storied franchise. gotta look at it from all directions

Craic
02-27-2013, 03:31 PM
It'll be interesting to see what he actually signs for. If he signs quickly for anything near Brown's money or less, then I think it'll show that he really wasn't being offered the money that was reported last summer. All I know is, he really should fire his agent. That idiot has no idea how to work with individual organizations. If he did, he would have said, "This is the Steelers. You go to camp and worry about playing football. I'll get your contract taken care of."

steelreserve
02-27-2013, 04:32 PM

I'm not so sure I believe the other article, primarily because you would have to be an extremely stupid negotiator to do it that way.

At any rate, it's all a moot point now, because the fact of the matter is Wallace is gone and Brown's the one staying.

I also don't think whatever contract Wallace gets will be substantially less than Brown's, or less than it at all. Someone will give him $10M on "potential" and chalk last year up to being bummed out. If he does get less, I'd say that's a reflection on his piss-poor performance last season, not anything we did or didn't offer.

Psycho Ward 86
02-27-2013, 05:39 PM
Sure some teams have great interest but if he lolly gags trying to pry every dime out of teams the best suitor may sign someone else leaving lower $$ offers as the only offers on the table and if he continues to try and pry more $$$ he may end up signing a short term deal for far less than what he has already turned down ....

not gonna happen. way too many wide receiver needy teams out there, and many of them with cap space to burn. it only takes one team, and wallace is younger, less injury prone, and probably appears to have a lot more upside to a lot of teams out there compared to the other top commodities like wes welker (who's likely to return to the pats), greg jennings (who is said to have a chance to be tagged according to nfl.com), and dwayne bowe (who reportedly had effort and attitude issues.....inb4 "so does wallace comment" :lol:).

the teams that are top 4 in cap space ALONE are probably going to be scrambling for wallace: bengals, colts, dolphins, and browns. heck, we've already heard rumours and reports about wallace getting interest from 3 of those teams. wallace is going to strike gold. lets just hope he stays away from the browns and bengals

Count Steeler
02-27-2013, 05:43 PM
It will be interesting to get Wallace's side of the story. I must say, through all the contract talks and other salvos thrown his way, he has kept his cool and has not opened his mouth. I have to give him credit for that.

The only thing that disappointed me was the sudden "dropsies" and his comment about not being able to stay focused. Yes, it was a new offense and he wasn't targeted as much down field, but let's stay in the game and try to win.

ALLD
02-27-2013, 06:11 PM
Wallace should have taken the offer, but he effed it up. Brown did the right thing and the best thing for his family.

zulater
02-27-2013, 06:12 PM

I've talked to 4 different Steeler beat reporters through twitter.They all dispute what Peter King reported. They all believe Wallace turned down a bigger offer thasn what Brown signed for.

And besides what King suggested doesn't pass the common sense test. Brown was a 6th round draft pick with one year less of vested service than Wallace. His leverage as far as contract concerns wasn't even close to what Wallace's was. So why in the world would the Steelers have offered him more? Unless you believe the Steelers are stupid in the way they handle their business King's suggestion is total bunk.

steelreserve
02-27-2013, 07:24 PM
Wallace should have taken the offer, but he effed it up. Brown did the right thing and the best thing for his family.

Exactly. I'm curious how much more than 5 years and $50M Wallace thinks he's going to get.

What he REALLY should've thought about is: If he takes anything less than $48M over 4 years, or $60M over 5 years, he's actually cost himself a significant amount of money by spending a whole year playing for $2.3M when he could've played for $10M if he'd just signed the fucking contract. And even if he gets a $12M a year deal, he's just back to the break-even point.

Seriously, whoever was advising him on the money part of that one ought to be fired and beaten up. Jackass left $8M on the table, which is pretty hard to make up for in subsequent years, even in a mega-deal. That's why if someone offers you a reasonable contract in your RFA year, let alone a big contract, you're almost always better off taking it.

Now here's the really ironic part: I don't really see any way he blows the doors off $12M a year with a new deal ... so in effect, THIS ENTIRE GODDAMN ORDEAL WAS OVER NOTHING AT ALL.

Now THAT is something that's worth a triple :frusty::frusty::frusty:

Count Steeler
02-27-2013, 07:29 PM
The other thing is, with all the restructuring going on, sign a deal and then restructure in subsequent years. That way you get more of your salary in signing bonuses and cash up front.

Oh well, a lot of fuss over nothing.

steelerdiva
02-28-2013, 08:21 PM
Everyone needs to be quiet and come to work ready for ota's and camp

My sentiments exactly.