PDA

View Full Version : Steelers have restructured Lawrence Timmons' contract.....

polamalubeast
02-26-2013, 07:41 PM
Steelers have restructured Lawrence Timmons' contract, saving approximately $5 million in cap space. Roethlisberger is next.

https://twitter.com/AlbertBreer/status/306578038571806721

salamander
02-26-2013, 07:48 PM
Good stuff.

Count Steeler
02-26-2013, 08:06 PM
5 Mil with one restructure, pretty good.

86WARD
02-26-2013, 08:20 PM
Looking to make room for a certain WR?

polamalubeast
02-26-2013, 08:22 PM

as Steve Breaston?!?!

Count Steeler
02-26-2013, 08:25 PM

Long way to go for Wallace.

Psycho Ward 86
02-26-2013, 08:38 PM
dear jesus how long do we think we can keep this restructuring game up...

Count Steeler
02-26-2013, 08:39 PM
dear jesus how long do we think we can keep this restructuring game up...

Cap has to go up next year with the new TV deal. Maybe 1 more year.

Psycho Ward 86
02-26-2013, 08:44 PM
Cap has to go up next year with the new TV deal. Maybe 1 more year.

and how much are you anticipating it to go up by? the way we handle our cap problem every year relies on the hope that the salary cap goes up by significant amounts, and thats not always going to happen. were going to pay for it this year. and maybe even more in the next 2 years unless that tv deal really jumps the salary cap. other good teams like the patriots and packers arent drowning in the shallow end like we are because they dont handle their cap situations like we do.

BlastFurnace
02-26-2013, 08:45 PM
Please don't let these restructures mean we are keeping Casey Hampton around.

I hope it means that we will have some wiggle room to sign some of our young guys.

steelreserve
02-26-2013, 08:54 PM
Please don't let these restructures mean we are keeping Casey Hampton around.

I hope it means that we will have some wiggle room to sign some of our young guys.

Seriously. If you're talking about a 1-for-1 choice ... Hampton .. Lewis ... Hampton ... Lewis. Let's hope they turn out to have half a brain.

Dwinsgames
02-26-2013, 09:05 PM
and how much are you anticipating it to go up by? the way we handle our cap problem every year relies on the hope that the salary cap goes up by significant amounts, and thats not always going to happen. were going to pay for it this year. and maybe even more in the next 2 years unless that tv deal really jumps the salary cap. other good teams like the patriots and packers arent drowning in the shallow end like we are because they dont handle their cap situations like we do.

nope the Pats trade players away for draft picks when they have 1 year left on their deal and then parlay those picks whenever possible , keeping a core base of players around brady and lure vets with a couple years left in their careers to join them for a chance at a ring for pennies on the $$ of what they may get elsewhere ....

we lock guys up for a decade at a time , fight and struggle with the cap , sign very few household name FA's out of house and win just as many SB's .... neither way is wrong but as much as some of us hate how we do business there are just as many who love how we do business and for those who hate it many of them would also hate to see guys like Ward , Harrison , Aaron Smith etc finish their careers in another uniform .... we just can not have it both ways and it has been this way since the beginning of time so no time like the present to just get used to it

fansince'76
02-26-2013, 10:26 PM
other good teams like the patriots and packers arent drowning in the shallow end like we are because they dont handle their cap situations like we do.

Uh, yeah (http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/71757/big-decision-packers-salary-cap-space). Rodgers, Jennings, Raji and Matthews are all due for extensions in the near future. And they won't be cheap.

st33lersguy
02-26-2013, 10:45 PM
Has Woodley's contract been restructured. Given how miserable of a season he had, he is due for a pay cut.
As for Timmon's restructure this will most likely make room for the team to sign Breaston and make WR a non-need come draft day

Psycho Ward 86
02-26-2013, 10:56 PM
Uh, yeah (http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/71757/big-decision-packers-salary-cap-space). Rodgers, Jennings, Raji and Matthews are all due for extensions in the near future. And they won't be cheap.

the packers dont need jennings at all. theyll just have to deal with still having a ridiculous receiving corp in jordy nelson, randall cobb, james jones, etc. and really, the packers only HAVE TO get raji and matthews done at the same time

- - - Updated - - -

Has Woodley's contract been restructured. Given how miserable of a season he had, he is due for a pay cut.

biiiig difference between a restructure and a paycut

steelreserve
02-27-2013, 01:54 AM
As for Timmon's restructure this will most likely make room for the team to sign Breaston and make WR a non-need come draft day

Did I miss something? Last I checked, the $5M we save from this still puts us nowhere near being under the salary cap or able to sign free agents.

In any case, I think it's pretty clear we're counting on Brown and Sanders to be our top two guys, and so-so receivers to play the #3 and #4 spots are a dime a dozen. I'd rather just do what we usually do and wing a mid-round pick at WR and see what happens, instead of paying more for a journeyman who's already reached his potential, when we already have one of those on the team (Cotchery).

86WARD
02-27-2013, 06:23 AM
as Steve Breaston?!?!

Yes.

86WARD
02-27-2013, 06:26 AM
Did I miss something? Last I checked, the $5M we save from this still puts us nowhere near being under the salary cap or able to sign free agents.

In any case, I think it's pretty clear we're counting on Brown and Sanders to be our top two guys, and so-so receivers to play the #3 and #4 spots are a dime a dozen. I'd rather just do what we usually do and wing a mid-round pick at WR and see what happens, instead of paying more for a journeyman who's already reached his potential, when we already have one of those on the team (Cotchery).

Counting on Brown and Sanders is going to be a mistake...they need more depth there...

steelerdude15
02-27-2013, 08:46 AM
I'm glad to see Lawrence did this and helped the team.

steelreserve
02-27-2013, 10:06 AM
Counting on Brown and Sanders is going to be a mistake...they need more depth there...

Could be, but they're not going to solve that with an average WR passing the midpoint of his career, any more than Cedrick Wilson solved all their problems. Fact is, there's no way we can afford a game-changing WR in free agency at all, so that leaves the draft, or doing nothing.

SteelerFanInStl
02-27-2013, 10:42 AM
Yes, with our cap situation, I think that any WR help will need to come through the draft.

Psycho Ward 86
02-27-2013, 11:37 AM
i find the lack of confidence in sanders hilarious. seems like this board makes him out to be such a beast in every wallace thread :lol:

lilyoder6
02-27-2013, 11:37 AM

i feel like a yr from now we wont have the 10/11 mill hit from harrison as he shall be gone, troy money will depend on if he can stay healthy this yr.. so right there is about 20 mill give or take a few dollars plus the salary cap increase and poof the steelers wont probably be tight to the cap as they've been the last few yrs.. and then they will extend big bens contract to once again reduce his cap hit and save millions off of him