PDA

View Full Version : NHL Proposes Realignment To 4 Divisions

salamander
02-26-2013, 06:42 PM
Realignment would mean 4 divisions

The NHL is proposing a new realignment plan which would feature playoff wild-card spots plus see the league go from six divisions to four.

The plan was detailed in an NHL memo sent to all 30 clubs Tuesday, which a team source leaked to ESPN.com.

The new plan calls for divisional playoffs, not conference playoffs as the NHL currently has. The division winner with the most regular-season points will play the lowest-seeded wild-card team in the first round, with the other division winner playing the other wild-card team.

more: http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/8991414/nhl-realignment-proposal-adds-playoff-wild-cards-drops-league-4-divisions-source-says

Godfather
02-26-2013, 10:16 PM
They need to keep Chicago and Detroit in the same division.

They also need to bring back the real division names (Patrick, Adams, Norris, and Smythe).

Craic
02-26-2013, 10:47 PM
The headline should read, "NHL Proposes It's Next Step to Becoming Basketball on Ice."

You all think Good-deal is bad? He's a saint compared to the destruction Bettman has caused the game of Hockey - completely ruined the tradition and unwritten rules of the sport. The rules that really kept players in check.

Count Steeler
02-27-2013, 04:57 AM
The headline should read, "NHL Proposes It's Next Step to Becoming Basketball on Ice."

You all think Good-deal is bad? He's a saint compared to the destruction Bettman has caused the game of Hockey - completely ruined the tradition and unwritten rules of the sport. The rules that really kept players in check.

:applaudit: I love hockey. NHL, not so much.

steeldevil
02-27-2013, 07:08 AM
Although i care about hockey very little compared to football, basketball, and baseball, Pens and canes in the same division would be cool for me.

X-Terminator
02-27-2013, 07:53 AM

Yeah, there's no doubt that Bettman has done more to kill the NHL than Goodell has to kill the NFL. I barely recognize the game compared to before the last lockout, much less 20 years ago. It's almost unwatchable, and if it weren't for the Pens, I probably wouldn't watch.

As for this proposal, it sucks ass, but you can blame the Red Wings for it. They have spent the last decade-plus lobbying the league for a move to the East so they won't have to travel as much, since prior to Columbus joining the league in 2002, they were the only team in the Western Conference that was in the Eastern time zone.

steelerdude15
02-27-2013, 08:44 AM
I mistakenly posted about last nights game in this thread thinking it was the pens tibits thread. :chuckle:

Anyways, onto the main point of this thread. After looking at what they're considering, some of it doesn't make sense. How can you have Tampa Bay going to play in a division up north and west, yet the Caps and Hurricanes would join us? That doesn't make sense.

X-Terminator
02-27-2013, 09:17 AM
I mistakenly posted about last nights game in this thread thinking it was the pens tibits thread. :chuckle:

Anyways, onto the main point of this thread. After looking at what they're considering, some of it doesn't make sense. How can you have Tampa Bay going to play in a division up north and west, yet the Caps and Hurricanes would join us? That doesn't make sense.

Lucky for you, we have the ability to move posts to another thread. :wink02:

Craic
02-27-2013, 02:48 PM
Yeah, there's no doubt that Bettman has done more to kill the NHL than Goodell has to kill the NFL. I barely recognize the game compared to before the last lockout, much less 20 years ago. It's almost unwatchable, and if it weren't for the Pens, I probably wouldn't watch.

As for this proposal, it sucks ass, but you can blame the Red Wings for it. They have spent the last decade-plus lobbying the league for a move to the East so they won't have to travel as much, since prior to Columbus joining the league in 2002, they were the only team in the Western Conference that was in the Eastern time zone.

I have no need of anymore reason to hate the Redwings, but I'll gladly take it. They've been the whinefest of the NHL since the early '90's at least. Seriously, some of their older players made Brady almost look like a man.

Devilsdancefloor
02-27-2013, 03:05 PM
They need to keep Chicago and Detroit in the same division.

They also need to bring back the real division names (Patrick, Adams, Norris, and Smythe).

Amen yes yes yes!

oneforthetoe
02-27-2013, 07:46 PM
Ok, not a fan of Bettman, but I like this realignment. Sure the two Florida teams are out of place in the Central. And yea, Detroit got its wish ...Still, even though Detroit is split from Chicago, there are still 4 original six teams in that division. FWIW, any realignment was going to have a few teams that just didn't fit together.

This is a good change for the Pens. IMO. It keeps our traditional rivals, brings back the Caps, adds two potentially decent rivals in Carolina and Columbus (assuming Columbus survives). It is certainly better than the proposal last year that split Philly and the Pens up.

I also like the new playoff format. Finishing at the top of the division should mean a little more now. I do agree though .....bring back the original division names.