PDA

View Full Version : Combine of value to Lake, then and now

stillers4me
02-26-2013, 05:23 PM
It’s a big deal among offensive linemen. Centers who can play guard. Guards and tackles who can be interchangeable, with the best of those also being able to go from left to right or vice versa. That’s position flexibility, and teams find out about that during training camp.

What Carnell Lake did here in 1989 is way beyond that. When he took part in the NFL Scouting Combine as a player, Carnell Lake re-made himself. What Denard Robinson is trying to do right now is what Antwaan Randle El did in 2002 in going from quarterback to receiver/returner, but Lake’s assignment was tougher. He was making the move from college linebacker to NFL safety. The guy who had 25.5 sacks and 45.5 tackles for loss in college was moving to the secondary in a league where the hot offensive trend was the run-and-shoot.

"I knew I was going to try to make the transition from linebacker to safety,” said Lake, “and so what I really was trying to do was to shed myself of all linebacker thoughts.”..........

read more @ http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Combine-of-value-to-Lake-then-and-now/4925f7f0-8b7b-49ae-ba67-85ce7468fdcf

BnG_Hevn
02-28-2013, 11:26 AM
Didn't he also play CB in a pinch? AND go to the probowl for it?

Dwinsgames
02-28-2013, 02:28 PM
Didn't he also play CB in a pinch? AND go to the probowl for it?

yes ... a player who knew no bounds