PDA

View Full Version : More competition for 3-4 OLBs

stillers4me
02-26-2013, 05:22 PM
Used to be, the Steelers pretty much had their pick from this bunch. Used to be, but not anymore.

Monday’s on-field sessions at Lucas Oil Field put the defensive linemen and linebackers through their paces, and used to be the Steelers were in the minority of teams that valued the Chad Browns and Jason Gildons and Joey Porters. From the early 1990s when the Steelers defense came to be known as Blitzburgh, the franchise never has spent a first-round pick on an outside linebacker for their zone-blitz 3-4 alignment. The 44th overall used on Brown back in 1994 is the highest.

But if Chad Brown were in this upcoming draft, the Steelers couldn’t even count on him being there for them in the first round at No. 17 overall because so many NFL teams are playing the 3-4, switching to the 3-4, or employing some 3-4 principles in certain situations..........

Read more @ http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/More-competition-for-3-4-OLBs/5fe1599d-d1b3-4f01-96bf-4ce80592f6c1

Dwinsgames
02-26-2013, 05:28 PM
I should expect better from Steelers.com .... ( but I don't )

Chad Brown was drafted as an ILB and played his first 2 or 3 years there , he did not move to outside linebacker till Greg Lloyd was lost for the season with an injury .....

Mojouw
02-27-2013, 01:13 PM
Yup. Wasn't one of the reasons Brown left in free agency (besides money) is that he wanted the chance to permanently switch to OLB? Also can't it be argued that the incrased valuation of 3-4 OLB and DE conversion players has been a trend for 5+ years now?

GoSlash27
03-07-2013, 10:09 PM
Bu.. bu... but I thought these folks have been saying for all these years that the 3-4 is old hat?? :coffee: