PDA

View Full Version : Mark Madden: Steelers' problems might be too big

zulater
02-25-2013, 08:34 PM
http://www.timesonline.com/columnists/sports/mark_madden/steelers-problems-might-be-too-big/article_94a829e8-7f07-11e2-8d28-001a4bcf6878.html

Turmoil didn't cause 8-8; 8-8 caused turmoil.
But the fact remains that the Steelers locker room appears lousy with malcontents, laggards and tattletales. Which is worst? That's in the eye of the beholder
Such malaise is common with most NFL teams. Localization thereof is just another reminder that the Steelers are no longer a "special" franchise - if they ever were.
So, who's at fault?
Coach Mike Tomlin is hardly blameless. He seems to cede a bit more control and lose a bit more discipline every year.
Linebacker LaMarr Woodley is the founder of the latest tempest. Critics like Ryan Clark may characterize the unnamed Steeler source as a rat, but no one is calling that unnamed source a liar.
It's common knowledge that Woodley was out of shape, overweight and lacked dedication. The proof was in his season: Just four sacks and a level of invisibility the Steelers can't afford from an edge rusher.
Clark and Antonio Brown are right when they say the matter should have been kept in-house. But, given that, why did they keep discussing it publicly?
Oh, right: Got to get on TV................................................ .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ...................

Only one thing seems certain: The Steelers are a lot closer to a losing season than they are a Super Bowl.
On the field, the Steelers' best bet is turning their hopes over to Ben Roethlisberger, one of football's top five quarterbacks. But tradition dictates the Steelers strive for balance on offense and hard-hitting defense. Don't let Roethlisberger win the game in the first quarter. Ask him to bail you out in the last.
Didn't work in 2012. Won't work in 2013. Between inferior weaponry and outdated philosophy, the Steelers are wasting their $102 million quarterback.
You think 8-8 caused turmoil? We might see what 6-10 produces.

- - - Updated - - -

Some feel Mike Wallace's impending departure (via Rolls-Royce
Phantom) will restore order. But there is a lot more than one bad apple.
The idea of a player currently without a contract or team purchasing a car that costs $500K is dumbfounding, isn't it? Wallace is in a temporary profession making temporary money. But someday he'll be a TV star: Wallace will be the primary protagonist on ESPN 30 for 30's "Broke 2."

Pristas
02-25-2013, 09:08 PM
I generally don't care for Madden, but he hit the nail on the head. I think this offseason is a test of Kevin Colbert more than anyone. 2013 depends on who he acquires, who he re-signs, and who he gets rid of. The "getting rid" part is the real key. There has to be an honest overhaul to obtain real change.

Count Steeler
02-25-2013, 09:11 PM
You know, Kevin may have set the trap to get all this dirty laundry out in the open. Steelers fans are primed to accept a clean house sweep. It may just be what the doctor ordered.

fansince'76
02-25-2013, 09:17 PM
Only one thing seems certain: The Steelers are a lot closer to a losing season than they are a Super Bowl.

Really? Seems to me the Steelers were one Jacoby Jones punt return away from a playoff berth and knocking the eventual Super Bowl champions out of the postseason entirely.

Are there things that need fixed? Definitely. But people seriously need to get a grip...

zulater
02-25-2013, 09:24 PM
Really? Seems to me the Steelers were one Jacoby Jones punt return away from a playoff berth and knocking the eventual Super Bowl champions out of the postseason entirely.

Are there things that need fixed? Definitely. But people seriously need to get a grip...

I agree with you. But like him or hate him, Madden made some good points here.

Plus that's the first I heard of Mike Wallace's half million dollar Rolls. ( so much for a home team discount :wink02: ) It was worth posting just for that! :chuckle:

BlastFurnace
02-25-2013, 10:17 PM
I thought Madden made some very good points about Ben in the 2nd part of this article.

LLT
02-26-2013, 01:56 AM
It's common knowledge that Woodley was out of shape, overweight and lacked dedication.

Another sign the Apocalypse is upon us....Mark Madden is calling someone out of shape and overweight??? Really???

NJarhead
02-26-2013, 07:38 AM
http://www.timesonline.com/columnists/sports/mark_madden/steelers-problems-might-be-too-big/article_94a829e8-7f07-11e2-8d28-001a4bcf6878.html

Which is worst?

Your Grammar, journalist.

GBMelBlount
02-26-2013, 10:03 AM

Coach Mike Tomlin is hardly blameless. He seems to cede a bit more control and lose a bit more discipline every year.

cold-hard-steel
02-26-2013, 12:14 PM

Well someone has to be in charge of this team. You never heard me say a bad word about Tomlin . It seems if something is going to go down it has to start from the ownership and trickle all the way down to the players. Chuck was a "house cleaner". But he did basically start from scatch. Who knows how much power Tomlin has in the draft equation ?Tomlin has a chance to rid the house out . Or does he ? There is nothing worse than being a coach , and not have the power to make changes you think should be made .

steelreserve
02-26-2013, 05:59 PM
There's a lot to worry about, that's for sure. But don't forget we had probably one of the worst seasons in terms of injury that I can ever remember. I don't see us going through a complete collapse, but I also don't see us making any dynamic moves to get better.

One more year with mostly this same group, hope some rookies or recent draft picks have a good year, roll the dice and hope that's good enough to challenge for a championship. That's all we can do. Personally, I'd say that gives us maybe a 10% chance, which maybe isn't great, but a lot better than a lot of teams can say. Then next offseason is when I'd expect the real bloodletting to begin.