PDA

View Full Version : For Big Ben, it starts with baby steps

crcsnail
08-01-2010, 02:13 AM
For Big Ben, it starts with baby steps

By Les Carpenter, Yahoo! Sports
2 hours, 46 minutes ago

LATROBE, Pa. – On the morning of Ben Roethlisberger’s(notes) redemption, a 68-year-old grandmother from Pittsburgh’s south side drove to the local Giant Eagle grocery store and purchased a piece of poster board. On it she scrawled her valentine to a man accused twice of sexual assault, who allegedly exposed himself to a young woman in a Georgia bathroom and became the most scorned man in a town that wanted dearly to embrace him.

Read more: http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=lc-roethlisberger073110

stillers4me
08-01-2010, 06:16 AM
Interesting. I got a high five from Ben 3 years ago at camp. Maybe this stuff means more to him now, but it's not like he never acknowledged the fans in the past.

Kittyfish
08-01-2010, 08:12 AM
Just then, receiver Hines Ward, a player who has criticized Roethlisberger in the past, moved next to him. Earlier in the day Ward said he sensed Roethlisberger making an effort to be a better teammate, to be a friend. Now it was clear the quarterback needed one himself.

“Let’s walk together,” Ward said.

Aw. This made my heart smile.

siss
08-01-2010, 08:51 AM
Interesting. I got a high five from Ben 3 years ago at camp. Maybe this stuff means more to him now, but it's not like he never acknowledged the fans in the past.

He's always been pretty good with the fans at Latrobe. He's signed his shoes before. I think one year he let a little boy carry his pads in. However, I have never heard of him signing his jersey and giving it away or taking pictures with the fans.

cakmakli
08-01-2010, 09:34 AM
Nice story. I really hope he's making a change.

hotrodder07
08-01-2010, 09:55 AM
All I can say, is that I really, really hope that this is sincere. Sure, he's going to act like this on the first day back on redemption. The question is still if he will stay this way for years to come. I believe he will, but once he has his success back in the NFL, he's going to have to keep his ego down. I'd really believe he has learned his lesson, but I thought the same thing after the first time he was accused. Only time will tell.

SMR
08-01-2010, 10:11 AM
That was a very touching and thoughtful article. Appreciate the read.

wootawnee
08-01-2010, 10:23 AM
Its all your guys fault for treating him and makin him feel like a god, but then God struck down on all of you and showed he's just a man...............A real immortal would have came out when this happened and said
"I did nothing wrong, and this girl is an idiot"......."I love to nail women in the stalls, they all like it. It happens all the time, alot more than you think. Just about everywhere I go some hottie wants to take me in a back room and show me what she's got. And I love to see what they have to share."

http://www.hollywoodtoday.net/wp-content/uploads/2007/07/sir-mick-jagger.jpg

BigNastyDefense
08-01-2010, 10:41 AM
Sometimes a person has to be at his lowest level to see the error of his ways, and I think the Georgia incident was his lowest point.

So yes, I think he is sincere.

Also, Ben Roethlisberger has always been good with the fans, specifically with the kids. He's been active in the Make-a-Wish foundation. He's signed autographs for kids.

I remember a few years ago there was a stink that he wouldn't sign a fans Terrible Towel. However, try to sign one yourself and it's just not worth the trouble.

And I understand why he might be reluctant to sign for adults. How many adults actually keep their autographed memorabilia? More often than not, people throw the stuff on Ebay to make money off of it. I don't blame any famous person who signs only for kids.

stillers4me
08-01-2010, 10:58 AM
Sometimes a person has to be at his lowest level to see the error of his ways, and I think the Georgia incident was his lowest point.

So yes, I think he is sincere.

Also, Ben Roethlisberger has always been good with the fans, specifically with the kids. He's been active in the Make-a-Wish foundation. He's signed autographs for kids.

I remember a few years ago there was a stink that he wouldn't sign a fans Terrible Towel. However, try to sign one yourself and it's just not worth the trouble.

And I understand why he might be reluctant to sign for adults. How many adults actually keep their autographed memorabilia? More often than not, people throw the stuff on Ebay to make money off of it. I don't blame any famous person who signs only for kids.
I agree. I can't imagine how anyone could expect a player to sign a piece of terry cloth. Sounds like a great idea but I know the ones I have are a little too fluffy. I have seen some where the weave is a little more compact but most of them would be impossible. But it's much easier to blame Ben than use some common sense.

When we went to training camp, I didn't even try to get autographs. I took pictures of them signing for the kids. If I was ever lucky enough to get one from a player at camp, it would stay right in my collection, proudly. But I know there are adults that sell them on ebay and I don't blame the players for being upset about that.