PDA

View Full Version : Robinson: Steelers have no room for error in ’13 draft

stillers4me
02-24-2013, 08:27 AM
Eddie Lacy might be everything the Steelers (http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/) want in a running back. Powerful enough. Fast enough, Maybe even big enough — he's somewhat reminiscent of an in-his-prime Barry Foster.

Even if, as the 5-foot-10, 220-pound Lacy acknowledges with a remorseful look that says he's been enjoying mama's cooking since the season ended, “A pound or three” overweight.

It hasn't affected his elusiveness.

As the Alabama star ended his NFL Scouting Combine news conference, the No. 1 running back on the draft board sidestepped questions about the Steelers' interest in him. He wouldn't mind playing in a Ben Roethlisberger-led offense but, then again, he said, “I wouldn't mind playing in anyone's offense.” ...........

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/3508772-74/steelers-running-draft#ixzz2LpJopgm4

Steeldude
02-24-2013, 08:51 AM
I certainly hope they don't waste another 1st round pick on a RB.

Count Steeler
02-24-2013, 09:22 AM
RB should not be top priority this year. I really hope they trade out of the first.

Shoes
02-24-2013, 10:06 AM
Man, is that an understatement!

steeldawg
02-24-2013, 11:04 AM
there is no wasted picks, only in hindsight its all a gamble.

Shoes
02-24-2013, 11:21 AM

Then all NFL teams should hire Las Vegas oddsmakers. :chuckle:

steeldawg
02-24-2013, 11:28 AM
Then all NFL teams should hire Las Vegas oddsmakers. :chuckle:

what i mean is any pick can turn out to be a waste or great. You take a rb first round it doesnt workout, does that mean ur wasting a first round pick on a rb the next time? You draft according to ur needs If you need a wr rb lb and the best athelete of the 3 is there in the first then take him. If you can get a solid lb in the 2nd round why go lb 1st round just because its ur biggest need?

XxKnightxX
02-24-2013, 02:24 PM
Thats why they have a draft board, They wait for their opportunity, and then make a decision on who they take, based on need or talent. This isnt Madden where they simulate the offseason and just get a random pool of unknown players. Let it take its course. We have so many gaping holes this offseason that its actually good to have flexibility on who we draft and when.

BigNastyDefense
02-24-2013, 02:28 PM
what i mean is any pick can turn out to be a waste or great. You take a rb first round it doesnt workout, does that mean ur wasting a first round pick on a rb the next time? You draft according to ur needs If you need a wr rb lb and the best athelete of the 3 is there in the first then take him. If you can get a solid lb in the 2nd round why go lb 1st round just because its ur biggest need?

I agree with this.

RB isn't the biggest need on the team, but is there really a RB that's currently going to be on the roster next year who we can say is a reliable starter? That game against the Browns sticks in my gut...every RB we had that day put the ball on the turf. I don't know if we have a RB that can carry the load, a guy who can put a game away.

I think our two biggest needs are OLB/ILB and RB. We don't have anyone reliable behind Harrison, and I don't think he's ever going to be the same. Foote might be resigned, but behind him who do we have? Spence didn't play last year after tearing up his knee and nobody is quite sure when we will see him on the field at 100% again...if ever. Stevenson Sylvester has shown glimpses of being really good, but nobody knows if he's going to be consistent.

I think we take the best available at one of those positions with our pick. Whoever is the best overall there, we take. Either way, it helps this team. It strengthens what's become a weakness.

Steeldude
02-26-2013, 08:29 AM

Drafting areas of lesser priority are wasted picks. A RB in the first would be a wasted pick. What would be the point? No RB in this year's class is going to do much behind the Steelers' O-line. There are no Barry Sanders, Earl Campbells or Tomlinsons waiting to be called.

86WARD
02-26-2013, 10:36 AM
Drafting based solely on "need" is the first ingredient for failure.

dislocatedday
02-26-2013, 12:13 PM
I agree with this.

RB isn't the biggest need on the team, but is there really a RB that's currently going to be on the roster next year who we can say is a reliable starter? That game against the Browns sticks in my gut...every RB we had that day put the ball on the turf. I don't know if we have a RB that can carry the load, a guy who can put a game away.

I think our two biggest needs are OLB/ILB and RB. We don't have anyone reliable behind Harrison, and I don't think he's ever going to be the same. Foote might be resigned, but behind him who do we have? Spence didn't play last year after tearing up his knee and nobody is quite sure when we will see him on the field at 100% again...if ever. Stevenson Sylvester has shown glimpses of being really good, but nobody knows if he's going to be consistent.

I think we take the best available at one of those positions with our pick. Whoever is the best overall there, we take. Either way, it helps this team. It strengthens what's become a weakness.

I agree with your assessment 100%. I think safety is then the third biggest need behind the RB and LB positions, just because of the age at that position.

steelreserve
03-05-2013, 10:24 AM
Drafting areas of lesser priority are wasted picks. A RB in the first would be a wasted pick. What would be the point? No RB in this year's class is going to do much behind the Steelers' O-line. There are no Barry Sanders, Earl Campbells or Tomlinsons waiting to be called.

Are we still stuck on "O-line is terrible, we need to do something about the line?" Because it would be weird if I suddenly woke up in 2009. If everyone stays reasonably healthy this time, our line actually ought to be pretty good.

Psycho Ward 86
03-05-2013, 10:28 AM
With all of these drafts not panning out the way they were supposed to, we need IMMEDIATE impact players in this draft

BlastFurnace
03-05-2013, 11:33 AM
The Steelers must address the Safety position early. Troy will be out or injured for his usual time this year and there is no adequate replacement on the roster right now. I hope the first two picks are LB and Safety.

blackngldblood
03-05-2013, 09:11 PM
I just wish we would stop acting like our running game is not an area of concern. You want to open up this Haley/Roethlisberger offense, you better have a consistent back that is a threat all day long. I have a gut feeling Lacey is that guy. I know we need safeties and linebackers, but I would personally be exstatic if we got Lacey. But hey, I am a dreamer!

86WARD
03-05-2013, 09:26 PM
Ironically, Mendenhall is actually a good fit for Todd Haley's offense.

43Hitman
03-06-2013, 06:07 AM
Ironically, Mendenhall could be a good fit for Todd Haley's offense.

Fixed that for ya. :wink02:

And honestly I wouldn't be surprised at all if they found a way to keep Mendy despite all the of the turmoil he caused last season.

tube517
03-06-2013, 06:45 AM
The Steelers must address the Safety position early. Troy will be out or injured for his usual time this year and there is no adequate replacement on the roster right now. I hope the first two picks are LB and Safety.

This. Depth at those positions are lacking. ILB is thin and backup safety especially if Will Allen leaves via FA

Steeldude
03-06-2013, 08:04 AM

Unfortunately, there are no 1st-round type safeties this year.

- - - Updated - - -

Are we still stuck on "O-line is terrible, we need to do something about the line?" Because it would be weird if I suddenly woke up in 2009. If everyone stays reasonably healthy this time, our line actually ought to be pretty good.

I wouldn't say terrible, but I would say good either. The O-line has not been consistently good for many years now.

I am not sold on Gilbert when healthy. Colon is nothing special when healthy. Starks and Foster are UFAs.

Are you happy with the O-line?

steelerdude15
03-06-2013, 10:30 AM
I think safety or linebacker are the two most important positions for the Steelers to draft this year. I hope that we have a good draft this year.

steelreserve
03-07-2013, 09:50 PM
I wouldn't say terrible, but I would say good either. The O-line has not been consistently good for many years now.

I am not sold on Gilbert when healthy. Colon is nothing special when healthy. Starks and Foster are UFAs.

Are you happy with the O-line?

Happy enough. I think they're finally at least adequate, with a chance to be good. But certainly I think they've improved past the point of "omg NOBODY could run behind this line!!!" and such.

I also think it's pretty unlikely we invest much more in it this point, given all the draft picks we've used on it in the past 3 years. Probably what they'll do is stick with the guys they've got and see how good they get, the one exception being Colon's/Foster's role.

Psycho Ward 86
03-09-2013, 12:14 PM
Happy enough. I think they're finally at least adequate, with a chance to be good. But certainly I think they've improved past the point of "omg NOBODY could run behind this line!!!" and such.

nope. still there. unless we can prove otherwise.

it wasnt so long ago that a lot of people were crying out that this might be the worst O-line in the league. how quickly we have forgotten

steeldawg
03-09-2013, 02:39 PM
its only a wasted pick if it doesnt work out, if we draft a RB and he turns out to be a solid back then its not a wasted pick. i still say you draft the best impact palyer on the board at what ever positions you have needs if it turns out to be a RB then take him.

TMC
03-11-2013, 06:47 AM
Here is the thing, there are only so many rookies that will come in and make an impact in their first season. If you actually track the numbers of rookies that start 16 games, if I recall correctly, it is around 1 per team. The thing is, your top 16 teams (worst half) usually have 2 while your bottom half is lucky to find 1. That does not mean part time contributors, it is starters.

The Steelers are often in the bottom half. So, to think there will be a guy that comes in as a rookie and helps in 2013 is unrealistic. You draft for the future. You sign free agents to fill holes today. It is why the Steelers rule out very few positions for their first round pick and this year, that is more wide open than ever. Look at the list (in no particular order):

RB-Isaac Redman, Dwyer, Batch-no true feature back. No complete back. You have plodders or pass catchers.
WR-Brown, Sanders, Cotchery-that is it.
LT-name a LT on roster.
LG-if you want to help your cap, drafting a LG and cutting Colon helps you greatly in 2014.
TE-Talk is the Steelers won't have Miller healthy for the first 1/4 of the season, some think later, like December. Paulson is the only healthy TE.
DE-Hood and Keisel hit free agency after the season. That leaves you with Heyward at DE. Draft one this year, he could play next year.
NT-No Hampton, no true starter. Shaky depth.
OLB-No Harrison, shaky depth.
ILB-If they re-sign Foote, they still truly need a starter. Shaky depth.
CB-If Lewis leaves, it crushes the on position that could have depth.
S-both starters are over 30, shaky depth.

If they draft ANY of those positions in the first, as long as they hit the pick, I do not care. What they cannot stand is blowing the draft picks. What few are mentioning is this is a VERY weak draft, especially at the top. This is the type of draft where 2008 could rear its ugly head again.

Psycho Ward 86
03-11-2013, 08:40 AM
You draft for the future. You sign free agents to fill holes today.

RB-Isaac Redman, Dwyer, Batch-no true feature back. No complete back. You have plodders or pass catchers.
WR-Brown, Sanders, Cotchery-that is it.
LT-name a LT on roster.
LG-if you want to help your cap, drafting a LG and cutting Colon helps you greatly in 2014.
TE-Talk is the Steelers won't have Miller healthy for the first 1/4 of the season, some think later, like December. Paulson is the only healthy TE.
DE-Hood and Keisel hit free agency after the season. That leaves you with Heyward at DE. Draft one this year, he could play next year.
NT-No Hampton, no true starter. Shaky depth.
OLB-No Harrison, shaky depth.
ILB-If they re-sign Foote, they still truly need a starter. Shaky depth.
CB-If Lewis leaves, it crushes the on position that could have depth.
S-both starters are over 30, shaky depth.

we've failed to draft for the future. and when we have, its looking like we wont be able to keep them (lewis, mendenhall, wallace, just to name a few).we dont even have the money available to sign free agents to fill holes today.

zulater
03-11-2013, 08:52 AM
we've failed to draft for the future. and when we have, its looking like we wont be able to keep them (lewis, mendenhall, wallace, just to name a few).we dont even have the money available to sign free agents to fill holes today.

David DeCastro, Mike Adams, Maurkice Pouncey, Maurice Gilbert, David Poulin, Antonio Brown, Emanuel Sanders, Ziggy Hood, Cameron Heyward, Sean Spence, and Cortez Allen beg to differ.

steelerdude15
03-11-2013, 09:20 AM
David DeCastro, Mike Adams, Maurkice Pouncey, Maurice Gilbert, David Poulin, Antonio Brown, Emanuel Sanders, Ziggy Hood, Cameron Heyward, Sean Spence, and Cortez Allen beg to differ.

Bingo.

TMC
03-11-2013, 09:28 AM

It is funny how you state we have failed to draft for the future and then point out 3 players that were drafted and hitting free agency. If they failed in the draft, why are those three players important?

And, the Steelers can easily create more space. Very easily. They choose not to do so. The Steelers are currently estimated to be $5M under the cap. They could approach Polamalu with an extension, even if it is only a year, turn his salary to signing bonus, open $4M. He is only 31. Woodley could be restructured and open $6M. The Steelers could be sitting on $15M in new space very quickly. That $10M you just opened could easily sign all three players if the contracts are structured correctly.

The thing is, is Wallace worth $12M a season to you? He is not to me. I would rather pass and spread that $12M around to other players. What do you pay Mendenhall? What is the price for Lewis? Until the market sets the price, we do not know if they will be retained or not.

But, to state the money is not there is a fallacy. It can easily be there. The NFL salary cap is a very flexible cap with various ways of manipulating it.

Mojouw
03-11-2013, 01:48 PM
One could take some of the recent roster churning in a positive way and state the following:

Without really trying, the Steelers have added a solid experienced slot CB. This way the street FA's that were playing at the end of the season last year are not being counted on. They have just solidified their offensive line depth. Gilbert/Colon/Pouncey/DeCastro/Adams appears to be the group they want starting, with Foster as one primary back-up and Beachum as the other. This allows them to enter the draft and the rest of the the free agency period not having to worry too much about these two units.

HOWEVER, they still need to closely monitor the CB market and strike quickly if Lewis's market cools to an appropriate point. Perhaps they will do some of the dollar juggling outlined by TMC above and be able to meet Lewis's demands. Who knows, should be interesting.

My only point is that other than being clearly out of the Wallace sweepstakes, the Steelers appear to be able to make a # of other moves if they wish.

Dwinsgames
03-11-2013, 01:55 PM

I am not condoning a RB in the first ( in fact I have said time and time again 3rd round is where to take a RB this year ) but to say there are no RBs in this years crop worthy of Sander, Campbell, Tomlinson is unfounded because until they play in the league we do not know for certain what they are capable of ...

Hell there are guys slated by most that will not go until the 3rd or 4th round that may in fact prove long term well worthy of being a first round pick when people look back at it .. we just do not know yet ....

zulater
03-11-2013, 02:15 PM
The 2010-12 draft will play a more prominent role in the 2013 season than the 2013 draft class will.

Dwinsgames
03-11-2013, 04:44 PM
The 2010-12 draft will play a more prominent role in the 2013 season than the 2013 draft class will.

3 drafts always should play a larger role than 1 .... no news here my friend