PDA

View Full Version : Steelers LB Sean Spence Suffered Peroneal Nerve Damage

stillers4me
02-24-2013, 08:06 AM
On Thursday, Pittsburgh Steelers general manager Kevin Colbert updated the status of linebacker Sean Spence, the teams third-round draft pick from last April, who suffered a serious knee injury last preseason. During his update Colbert said Spence is doing everything that the doctors and trainers are telling him to do but that there is still no timetable for his return. Colbert said that fingers are crossed that he can return, but added that an injury of that significance heals at a different pace for different people.

Gerry Dulac of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reported on Saturday that Spence did damage to the peroneal nerve behind the knee when he tore his ACL and multiple ligaments nearly six months ago.

So what exactly is the peroneal nerve? It is the nerve is that is located on the outside part of the lower knee and it is responsible for transmitting impulses to and from the leg, foot, and toes. When the peroneal nerve is damaged, the muscles may become weak and condition called foot drop, which is the inability to raise the foot upwards, can occur.............

read more @
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2013/02/steelers-sean-spence-peroneal-nerve-damage-knee/

Steeldude
02-24-2013, 08:50 AM
On Thursday, Pittsburgh Steelers general manager Kevin Colbert updated the status of linebacker Sean Spence, the teams third-round draft pick from last April, who suffered a serious knee injury last preseason. During his update Colbert said Spence is doing everything that the doctors and trainers are telling him to do but that there is still no timetable for his return. Colbert said that fingers are crossed that he can return, but added that an injury of that significance heals at a different pace for different people.

Gerry Dulac of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reported on Saturday that Spence did damage to the peroneal nerve behind the knee when he tore his ACL and multiple ligaments nearly six months ago.

So what exactly is the peroneal nerve? It is the nerve is that is located on the outside part of the lower knee and it is responsible for transmitting impulses to and from the leg, foot, and toes. When the peroneal nerve is damaged, the muscles may become weak and condition called foot drop, which is the inability to raise the foot upwards, can occur.............

read more @
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2013/02/steelers-sean-spence-peroneal-nerve-damage-knee/

It appears he is done. Sylvester doesn't look promising. That leaves them with Foote...ugh...he plays like he has peroneal nerve damage.

salamander
02-24-2013, 09:22 AM
That doesn't sound very promising.

Count Steeler
02-24-2013, 09:24 AM
Scratch Spence off our possible returns. 2012 was not a very good year for the long term fortunes of the Pittsburgh Steelers.

st33lersguy
02-24-2013, 09:27 AM
ILB has just grown as a need.

GBMelBlount
02-24-2013, 09:45 AM
Wow - It took Edwards 3-4 years to get back on the field to play on a pro level for 1 year after injuring his peroneal nerve.

...and we have no idea if Spence's injury is to the same degree.

It is crazy how our draft class from last year was almost completely decimated by injuries and asshat-edness.

SteelerFanInStl
02-24-2013, 09:45 AM

It's already been a top need. I don't see anything else being bigger.

GBMelBlount
02-24-2013, 09:47 AM
It's already been a top need. I don't see anything else being bigger.

...and ironically we have far more money tied up in our linebackers at the moment than anywhere else.

Shoes
02-24-2013, 09:55 AM
I'm sorry for Spence...he seemed like a nice kid with a promising football future. I hope he can turn it around. I wonder if the nerve damage was caused by the surgery? I know a few folks who had *drop foot* after surgery that wasn't caused by the injury.

Dwinsgames
02-24-2013, 10:26 AM

it has been one all along in my eyes , I did not have much faith in Spences ability to return this year ( or potentially ever ) and even if he did we still did not know for sure what he was going to be as a player at this level and even if he did return at 100 % after Foote and Timmons he would be the only guy with any amount of upside left .... we are very thin at ILB with Spence ..without him we are very very thin and if we do not manage to resign Foote we are demoralized at ILB

Devilsdancefloor
02-24-2013, 10:53 AM
well dang it ILB bevame a bigger need unless sly picks his game up

stillers4me
02-25-2013, 05:07 PM
Steelers once had player who had same injury as Sean Spence...and never played again.
The Steelers still do not know when, or if, inside LB Sean Spence will play again.
Spence, a third-round choice in 2012, dislocated his knee, tore multiple ligaments including the anterior cruciate, and did damage to the peroneal nerve behind the knee. The Steelers do not known when, or if, Spence can return because his ability to play football again depends on the recovery of the nerve.
His injury is similar to the one that ended the career of former Steelers linebacker Elnardo Webster, a ninth-round pick from Rutgers in 1992 who played only three games as a rookie.
http://sulia.com/channel/pittsburgh-steelers/f/f5ea7f61-6990-4640-9be7-2a06375ef7d6/?source=fb

steelerdude15
02-25-2013, 07:09 PM
I had a lot of high hopes for him. I hope that he'll be able to play one day, but it doesn't seem promising. I'm sorry Sean. :no:

Psycho Ward 86
02-25-2013, 07:11 PM
this is precisely why education comes first. hope he took the time to do as well in class as he did in football while he was in school