PDA

View Full Version : Ward on Wallace: "Steelers Need To Find A Way To Keep This Guy"

SteelerEmpire
02-22-2013, 02:37 PM
I agree. Who would want to lose one of the most prolific WR's in Steelers history ? Watch the video (at 3:38).

---------

Pittsburgh Steelers are in 'total disarray'.

NFL.com: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000143695/article/hines-ward-pittsburgh-steelers-are-in-total-disarray

fansince'76
02-22-2013, 03:25 PM
They offered him $10 mil per season last year. He passed. Next.

Count Steeler
02-22-2013, 03:31 PM
What guarantee is there that Wallace plays up to his potential? He did not play like a $10M receiver last year, and he doesn't deserve the $12-15M that some sucker is going to pay him. Bye-bye Mikey.

st33lersguy
02-22-2013, 03:53 PM
I respect Hines Ward but on this front he is WRONG. Signing this guy (which would mean spending a whole crap load of money on him) will set back the franchise

steeldawg
02-22-2013, 04:14 PM
:peace: KEEP WALLACE!!

Count Steeler
02-22-2013, 05:33 PM
:peace: KEEP WALLACE!!

To the long term detriment of the team. Pass. Oops, he dropped it again.

zulater
02-22-2013, 05:37 PM
I prefer dealing in the real world. There's no chance Wallace is a Steeler next year. Period. end of story.

Somehow or other they won 6 Lombardi's without him. So I do believe life will go on without him.

steel9guy
02-22-2013, 08:09 PM
Glad Hine's is not our GM.

GBMelBlount
02-22-2013, 08:10 PM
Obviously Hines doesn't have to pay his salary.

Shoes
02-22-2013, 08:10 PM
Glad Hine's is not our GM.

:chuckle:

steelreserve
02-23-2013, 12:05 PM
How exactly are they supposed to keep him? Maybe by threatening him? They already tried to keep him by handing him a wheelbarrow full of cash, and that didn't work. Guy must be retarded or something.

steeldawg
02-23-2013, 05:43 PM
How exactly are they supposed to keep him? Maybe by threatening him? They already tried to keep him by handing him a wheelbarrow full of cash, and that didn't work. Guy must be retarded or something.

Actually it was reported a few days ago by peter king of sports illustrated that they only offered him 7 million a year which if you compared his numbers too other guys around the league at that time it would of been low balling him.

zulater
02-23-2013, 06:38 PM
Actually it was reported a few days ago by peter king of sports illustrated that they only offered him 7 million a year which if you compared his numbers too other guys around the league at that time it would of been low balling him.

Obviously everything Peter King says is the gospel truth. :sarcasm:

Regardless, they tried to negotiate what they considered a fair extension. Given their recent track record of players they prioritized and resigned to extensions ( Timmons, Woodley, Big Ben, Ike Taylor etc...) it's hard to believe they low balled him to the extent that if both parties had really been interested in getting a deal done it wouldn't have come about.

I think it's fairly obvious to most of us that the only way Wallace was signing an extension last season was if it was for Larry Fitzgerald money, just as he said. Anything short of that and he was going to get to where he's at now, total unrestricted free agency. Some players play for the thought of winning the Super Bowl for the team they love. Others dream of cashing in their lottery ticket that unrestricted free agency is. This is his idea of winning. That's who Mike Wallace is. That's why many of us don't really give a shit that he's leaving.

Will he haunt the Steelers? Possibly, for a year. But his kind never pay off over the long haul. Selfish players never get you where you need to get. It's why T.O, and Ocho Stinco never won a thing between them. And with luck, hopefully the same fate awaits Wallace.

Craic
02-23-2013, 06:47 PM

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2013/02/steelers-mike-wallace-7-million-peter-king/

Not only that, but (if it's true) then they go and give Antonio Brown a salary that averages out to over 8.4 million a year. Talk about a slap in the face. It's no wonder he found it hard to focus at times, when the organization basically flipped him the bird in the middle of contract negotiations.

Makes me remember something HTG said about Art Rooney II. She was NOT impressed with him and maybe, I can see why now.

zulater
02-23-2013, 06:56 PM
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2013/02/steelers-mike-wallace-7-million-peter-king/

Not only that, but (if it's true) then they go and give Antonio Brown a salary that averages out to over 8.4 million a year. Talk about a slap in the face. It's no wonder he found it hard to focus at times, when the organization basically flipped him the bird in the middle of contract negotiations.

Makes me remember something HTG said about Art Rooney II. She was NOT impressed with him and maybe, I can see why now.

So you're buying what Peter King is shoveling out now?

I guess you forget the week leading up to SB 45 when he couldn't even quote his buddy the commisioner correctly.

- - - Updated - - -

I think it's safe to say that Antonio Brown signed a substantially poorer contract than what was offered to Wallace. I don't know if it's provable one way or the other, but I'd offer any board wager to the one that can prove Brown was given more money than what Wallace was offered.

Just the fact of where they respectively were in their current contracts at the time tell you that. Had the Steelers really given more money to Brown than what they offered Wallace they're the stupidiest team in the league with their finances.

Psycho Ward 86
02-23-2013, 07:13 PM

interesting. never heard that one so id have to see it to believe it. either way, cant blame wallace. cant blame ourselves either. our situation of losing wallace is just life, its what happens with a cap salary

Craic
02-23-2013, 10:34 PM
So you're buying what Peter King is shoveling out now?

I guess you forget the week leading up to SB 45 when he couldn't even quote his buddy the commisioner correctly.

- - - Updated - - -

I think it's safe to say that Antonio Brown signed a substantially poorer contract than what was offered to Wallace. I don't know if it's provable one way or the other, but I'd offer any board wager to the one that can prove Brown was given more money than what Wallace was offered.

Just the fact of where they respectively were in their current contracts at the time tell you that. Had the Steelers really given more money to Brown than what they offered Wallace they're the stupidiest team in the league with their finances.

Just in case you missed it.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2013/02...on-peter-king/ (http://www.steelersdepot.com/2013/02/steelers-mike-wallace-7-million-peter-king/)

86WARD
02-24-2013, 06:29 AM
It's been reported by more than Peter King that $7M was the offer.

Still waiting to see where Wallace was quoted asking for Fitzgerald money. I think we've also read that he wants Jackson type money...which is a little different.

But lets run with the first pile of shit that hit the wall and stuck...lol.

Steeldude
02-24-2013, 06:37 AM
I agree. Who would want to lose one of the most prolific WR's in Steelers history ? Watch the video (at 3:38).

---------

Pittsburgh Steelers are in 'total disarray'.

NFL.com: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000143695/article/hines-ward-pittsburgh-steelers-are-in-total-disarray

...and one with possibly the worst hands and worst heart too. What a gem.

- - - Updated - - -

Still waiting to see where Wallace was quoted asking for Fitzgerald money. I think we've also read that he wants Jackson type money...which is a little different.

Still far too much money for a one-trick pony WR like Wallace. Offering him $10,000,000 was far too high. Thankfully he priced himself off the team. I hope he goes to someone in the AFC North.

fansince'76
02-24-2013, 06:40 AM

And the other sources probably got it from King since, for whatever reason, he's considered to be an authoritative voice. I tend to believe the $10M dollar figure that was reported at the time, since this is the first time I've ever heard of the $7M figure. It also doesn't make a whole hell of a lot of sense to me for a team to offer its #1 receiver less than its #2 receiver.

Steeldude
02-24-2013, 06:41 AM
Talk about a slap in the face. It's no wonder he found it hard to focus at times, when the organization basically flipped him the bird in the middle of contract negotiations.

If he can't focus then that is all on him and I am ecstatic that he will be gone. He signed a contract. He is supposed to give his all for the entire contract. It seems he has a lot of trouble focusing.

SteelerEmpire
02-24-2013, 10:41 AM

Me to. Wallace's response to the question, "did you ask for/want Fitzgerald money" was, "don't believe everything you hear".

Also. If it IS true they only offered him $7 Mil., and then on top of it paid Brown a contract that averaged $8.4 Mil., I would be pissed to high heaven if I was Wallace and "totally" bummed out. That would be equivalent to a spit in the face. Then, his (Wallace) not having concentration and not being able to focus would make plenty sense. Once again, if true, and the Steelers only gave him $2.7 Mil when it should have been $8-10 Mil. per year, the Steelers organization "got what they paid for" in 2012.

steeldawg
02-24-2013, 10:55 AM
interesting. never heard that one so id have to see it to believe it. either way, cant blame wallace. cant blame ourselves either. our situation of losing wallace is just life, its what happens with a cap salary

I agree but weve never seen the 10 million dollar offer either. And i agree with you if we cant pay wallace what hes going to get on the open market thats too bad for us and you really cant blame him for going after it.

86WARD
02-24-2013, 02:11 PM
$10M on a report that first generated from Mark Kaboly...lol.

Count Steeler
02-24-2013, 03:27 PM
Once again, if true, and the Steelers only gave him $2.7 Mil when it should have been $8-10 Mil. per year, the Steelers organization "got what they paid for" in 2012.

By that philosophy, nobody still with their first contract should be playing worth a lick in the NFL. Pouncey is WAY overachieving. Pro Bowl center for how much? So he should not really play to his potential until he gets paid 6-8mil/year.

venom
03-06-2013, 02:28 PM
Looks like the Fish and Vikings are fighting over Wallace

Steeltreal
03-06-2013, 02:46 PM

Better than bungholes

86WARD
03-06-2013, 05:48 PM

Couldn't possibly fighting over him yet...free agency hasn't started yet and teams won't talk to free agents until it has...lol.

Psycho Ward 86
03-06-2013, 06:43 PM
By that philosophy, nobody still with their first contract should be playing worth a lick in the NFL. Pouncey is WAY overachieving. Pro Bowl center for how much? So he should not really play to his potential until he gets paid 6-8mil/year.

i think youre taking it a bit too literally. wallace overachieved his every season til this one as well. And we have yet to see what maurkice is going to ask for. 6-8 million might not be enough to keep a guy who's got 3 pro bowls and 3 all-pro mentions under his belt in just his 1st 3 seasons.

Count Steeler
03-06-2013, 06:58 PM
i think youre taking it a bit too literally. wallace overachieved his every season til this one as well. And we have yet to see what maurkice is going to ask for. 6-8 million might not be enough to keep a guy who's got 3 pro bowls and 3 all-pro mentions under his belt in just his 1st 3 seasons.

My point was that I don't give players lee-way because they didn't get "paid". Let's not forget that the Steelers did try to negotiate a contract, they did not reduce his tender to $550,000 (which was their right to do) and they didn't have an attitude with him. He was given the opportunity to play, was thrown to often enough and he had his chance to shine. Is it the Steelers fault that he suddenly had a bad case of the dropsies?

The only thing keeping Wallace out of the Black and Gold is the cap situation. Something that is going to hamper this team in the short term.

Psycho Ward 86
03-06-2013, 07:18 PM
My point was that I don't give players lee-way because they didn't get "paid". Let's not forget that the Steelers did try to negotiate a contract, they did not reduce his tender to $550,000 (which was their right to do) and they didn't have an attitude with him. He was given the opportunity to play, was thrown to often enough and he had his chance to shine. Is it the Steelers fault that he suddenly had a bad case of the dropsies?

The only thing keeping Wallace out of the Black and Gold is the cap situation. Something that is going to hamper this team in the short term.

agreed. cant agree on that cap situation however

TMC
03-07-2013, 01:21 PM
And the other sources probably got it from King since, for whatever reason, he's considered to be an authoritative voice. I tend to believe the $10M dollar figure that was reported at the time, since this is the first time I've ever heard of the $7M figure. It also doesn't make a whole hell of a lot of sense to me for a team to offer its #1 receiver less than its #2 receiver.

In the same article King throws out the $7M for Wallace, he states the cap will be $121-$122M for this season and next season. It is $123.9M this year. He missed THIS season by almost $2M dollars. Not buying his $7M per season. King throws out a lot of numbers. I am a numbers guy. He is rarely right.

st33lersguy
03-07-2013, 01:39 PM
The Dolphins seem determined to land Wallace, and since they are armed with a boatload of free cap space it won't be worth even to begin to try and keep

fansince'76
03-07-2013, 03:50 PM
In the same article King throws out the $7M for Wallace, he states the cap will be $121-$122M for this season and next season. It is $123.9M this year. He missed THIS season by almost $2M dollars. Not buying his $7M per season. King throws out a lot of numbers. I am a numbers guy. He is rarely right.

Agreed. What I've noticed over the years is that King is wrong a good deal more often than he is right in general. I trust the $10 million figure that Kaboly mentioned last summer (http://blog.triblive.com/steel-mill/2012/07/27/wallace-was-offered-more-than-brown/), not the $7 million per that has been bandied about by King a good eight months after the fact. And again, it makes ZERO sense for them to have offered Wallace less than they offered Brown, considering that Wallace was higher on the depth chart.

Psycho Ward 86
03-07-2013, 04:41 PM
The Dolphins seem determined to land Wallace, and since they are armed with a boatload of free cap space it won't be worth even to begin to try and keep

i hope to god they get him. no other teams seem to stand a chance to compete to get him other than the bengals and browns. the last we need those teams to have is more than 1 starting caliber receiver

steelreserve
03-07-2013, 09:42 PM
He'll probably go to Miami, suck there and be cut after two seasons, then the Bears will sign him as another attempt to finally get a good receiver on their team, and he'll suck there too because the Bears can never find good receivers.

zulater
03-15-2016, 05:26 PM

Possibly the worst post you ever offered up on this board Craic! :lol: :wink02:

I was bored and going through old threads when I came upon this one. Sorry to hit you with the drive by! :sofunny:

hawaiiansteeler
03-15-2016, 06:07 PM

I was board and going through old threads when I came upon this one. Sorry to hit you with the drive by! :sofunny:

so it turns out that Craic and steeldawg are one and the same...:chuckle:

polamalubeast
03-15-2016, 06:08 PM
He'll probably go to Miami, suck there and be cut after two seasons, then the Bears will sign him as another attempt to finally get a good receiver on their team, and he'll suck there too because the Bears can never find good receivers.

close.....

hawaiiansteeler
03-15-2016, 08:03 PM
Mike Wallace on why he chose Ravens over Vikings: 'I need a good QB'

By Sean Wagner-McGough | Staff Writer
March 15, 2016

http://sports.cbsimg.net/images/blogs/USATSI_wallacebridgewater_315.jpg

Mike Wallace took an indirect shot at Teddy Bridgewater.

It took Mike Wallace one press conference to burn a bridge(water). During his introductory press conference with the Ravens on Tuesday, Wallace took an indirect shot at Vikings quarterback Teddy Bridgewater, with whom he shared the field during this past season when he racked up career lows in pretty much every receiving category.

Despite a previous report that stated Wallace could return to the Vikings after they cut him a week ago, Wallace indicated the exact opposite. He was never going to return to Minnesota, because he realized he needed "a good quarterback."

Apparently Bridgewater didn't match the description.

"When this process started, I knew that I wasn't going back to Minnesota. I was like, 'I need a good quarterback. I need a quarterback who I know is proven and can get things done,'" Wallace said, per the Baltimore Sun. "[Joe] Flacco, he's always been that guy. I've always loved his deep ball. Always. Like I said when I was in Pittsburgh, watching Torrey [Smith] catching them, I was like, 'Man, this guy gets like eight in a row.' ... This going to be fun. It's going to be a great opportunity."

On that note, there's a fairly decent chance Wallace believes Joe Flacco is, in fact, elite. Whether or not Flacco is elite enough to turn around Wallace's career remains to be seen.

Last season with Bridgewater, Wallace recorded 39 receptions, 473 yards and two touchdowns. But that statline shouldn't have been unexpected. After all, Wallace thrives on deep balls, which isn't exactly Bridgewater's specialty.

Though the quarterback and system in Baltimore might be a better fit for Wallace than Minnesota, he'll be challenged to carve out a significant role, considering the Ravens have Steve Smith, Breshad Perriman and Kamar Aiken returning. According to reports, Wallace's deal with the Ravens is a two-year contract worth $11.5 million.

"I've been taking a lot of heat," Wallace said. "We'll see about that. I promise, I'll get the last laugh."

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/25518320/mike-wallace-on-why-he-left-vikings-for-ravens-i-need-a-good-qb

Craic
03-15-2016, 10:36 PM

I was bored and going through old threads when I came upon this one. Sorry to hit you with the drive by! :sofunny:

Actually, I still stand buy it. It was a slap in the face to offer almost a million more a year to an as-yet unproven player. In hindsight, it was a great move. But definitely a slap in the face to Wallace at the time.

fansince'76
03-15-2016, 10:37 PM
Actually, I still stand buy it. It was a slap in the face to offer almost a million more a year to an as-yet unproven player. In hindsight, it was a great move. But definitely a slap in the face to Wallace.

Steeldawg, did you hack Craic's account? :chuckle:

fansince'76
03-15-2016, 10:39 PM
http://www.newjerseyhunter.com/forums/attachments/40680d1437011683-edible-sharks-necropost.jpg

:chuckle:

zulater
03-15-2016, 11:43 PM
Actually, I still stand buy it. It was a slap in the face to offer almost a million more a year to an as-yet unproven player. In hindsight, it was a great move. But definitely a slap in the face to Wallace at the time.

Except outside of Peter King's unsourced story there's nothing to indicate that happened. Again think about it. By all indications the Steelers wanted to keep Wallace at the time. Wallace had more vested time than Brown. So here we have every single Steelers beat reporter still insisting that the Steelers offer was at or about 10 million per and Peter King saying something else. Why you taking his word over everyone else when his account doesn't fit the situation?

Hawkman
03-16-2016, 11:25 AM
Mike Wallace on why he chose Ravens over Vikings: 'I need a good QB'

By Sean Wagner-McGough | Staff Writer
March 15, 2016

http://sports.cbsimg.net/images/blogs/USATSI_wallacebridgewater_315.jpg

Mike Wallace took an indirect shot at Teddy Bridgewater.

It took Mike Wallace one press conference to burn a bridge(water). During his introductory press conference with the Ravens on Tuesday, Wallace took an indirect shot at Vikings quarterback Teddy Bridgewater, with whom he shared the field during this past season when he racked up career lows in pretty much every receiving category.

Despite a previous report that stated Wallace could return to the Vikings after they cut him a week ago, Wallace indicated the exact opposite. He was never going to return to Minnesota, because he realized he needed "a good quarterback."

Apparently Bridgewater didn't match the description.

"When this process started, I knew that I wasn't going back to Minnesota. I was like, 'I need a good quarterback. I need a quarterback who I know is proven and can get things done,'" Wallace said, per the Baltimore Sun. "[Joe] Flacco, he's always been that guy. I've always loved his deep ball. Always. Like I said when I was in Pittsburgh, watching Torrey [Smith] catching them, I was like, 'Man, this guy gets like eight in a row.' ... This going to be fun. It's going to be a great opportunity."

On that note, there's a fairly decent chance Wallace believes Joe Flacco is, in fact, elite. Whether or not Flacco is elite enough to turn around Wallace's career remains to be seen.

Last season with Bridgewater, Wallace recorded 39 receptions, 473 yards and two touchdowns. But that statline shouldn't have been unexpected. After all, Wallace thrives on deep balls, which isn't exactly Bridgewater's specialty.

Though the quarterback and system in Baltimore might be a better fit for Wallace than Minnesota, he'll be challenged to carve out a significant role, considering the Ravens have Steve Smith, Breshad Perriman and Kamar Aiken returning. According to reports, Wallace's deal with the Ravens is a two-year contract worth $11.5 million.

"I've been taking a lot of heat," Wallace said. "We'll see about that. I promise, I'll get the last laugh."

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/25518320/mike-wallace-on-why-he-left-vikings-for-ravens-i-need-a-good-qb

It's all about everyone else with Wallace, his QB sucks, maybe he could learn to run a route .......other than ( go deep ). So glad he left. Steelers have always been able to find receivers, and it doesn't matter what round.

Born2Steel
03-16-2016, 11:56 AM
I hope they ask him to play ST.

fansince'76
03-16-2016, 01:32 PM
Except outside of Peter King's unsourced story there's nothing to indicate that happened. Again think about it. By all indications the Steelers wanted to keep Wallace at the time. Wallace had more vested time than Brown. So here we have every single Steelers beat reporter still insisting that the Steelers offer was at or about 10 million per and Peter King saying something else. Why you taking his word over everyone else when his account doesn't fit the situation?

http://cdn.barstoolsports.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/Screen-Shot-2015-05-11-at-10.16.37-AM.png?5e29d3

hawaiiansteeler
03-16-2016, 01:43 PM
I hope they ask him to play ST.

worse yet, to jump for high balls...

Count Steeler
03-16-2016, 02:44 PM

That would be fine, as long as they pay him to jump, and they make it known to him that he is expected to jump.

vader29
03-16-2016, 03:20 PM
That would be fine, as long as they pay him to jump, and they make it known to him that he is expected to jump.

No.

http://i66.tinypic.com/qoaemh.jpg

vasteeler
03-16-2016, 04:16 PM

with moonball flacco he going to have to jump

Rotorhead
03-16-2016, 04:25 PM
I can see the PI calls now, every other series we will get a 30yd PI call against us . . .

st33lersguy
03-17-2016, 10:17 AM

This is pretty funny in retrospect