PDA

View Full Version : LeBeau bemoans lost season

Galax Steeler
02-20-2013, 03:59 AM
By Alan Robinson

Published: Wednesday, February 20, 2013, 12:01 a.m.
Updated 4 hours ago

What still bothers defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau about the Steelers' season of unfulfilled expectations is that he is convinced they — rather than the rival Baltimore Ravens — could have won the Super Bowl.

The Steelers went 8-8 and missed the playoffs, yet LeBeau believes there was little to no difference between them and the team that displays the Lombardi Trophy.

“Do I feel we could have done the same thing they did? I do. I do,” LeBeau told the Tribune-Review on Tuesday. “It didn't break that way.”

Watching the Super Bowl two weeks ago was a bit difficult for the 75-year-old LeBeau because, he said, “It hurts to see the Ravens win anything.”

Still, LeBeau was effusive in his praise for the Ravens, citing their back-to-back road wins at AFC No. 1-seeded Denver and No. 2-seeded New England ahead of their Super Bowl upset of the 49ers.

However, LeBeau wonders if the injury situations had been reversed — for example, Ray Lewis doesn't come back to the Ravens but Ben Roethlisberger makes a quick and effective return from his injury — if the Steelers might not have won a third Super Bowl since the 2005 season.

“They got the right people back at the right time, and we continued to have more injuries, it seemed like,” LeBeau said. “Many times that decides it.”

The Ravens (10-6) and Steelers played a pair of three-point games during the season, each winning on the other's home field. The Steelers were without Roethlisberger for both games, with Byron Leftwich playing during the 13-10 loss to Baltimore on Nov. 18 and Charlie Batch leading the Steelers to a 23-20 win in Baltimore on Dec. 2.

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/3490092-74/lebeau-season-steelers#ixzz2LQqRArif
Follow us: @triblive on Twitter | triblive on Facebook

GBMelBlount
02-20-2013, 07:09 AM
A agree with Lebeau.

However I blame our not winning the Superbowl the last 2 years moreso on HOW we handled Ben's injuries the last two years as much as anything else.

BnG_Hevn
02-20-2013, 11:19 AM
The same could be said of the Ravens --> Steelers when the Steelers beat them out in the AFCCG. I think the 49'rs were ripe to be beaten by whichever team fielded a half-way competent squad of players.