PDA

View Full Version : UPDATE: Kevin Colbert meeting with Breaston's agent

stillers4me
02-19-2013, 05:34 PM
Are you ready for more talk about sexy free agent players that the Pittsburgh Steelers might add this offseason? No, I'm not talking about linebacker Bart Scott, who was released by the New York Jets on Tuesday.

The Kansas City Chiefs announced on Tuesday that they had released wide receiver Steve Breaston, a Woodland Hills graduate, and he is exactly the kind of potentially cheap free agent player that the Steelers would consider signing this offseason to bolster their depth...................

read more @ http://www.steelersdepot.com/2013/02/chiefs-release-steve-breaston-steelers-todd-haley/

Craic
02-19-2013, 05:39 PM
I'll be the first to admit that I don't know a whole lot about Breaston besides the name. I do remember however thinking that he was a pretty decent receiver whenever I did see him play.

With Sanders gone, Breaston may be able to come in and fill a third receiver slot on the cheap. It'd be something to look at, at least.

GBMelBlount
02-19-2013, 05:43 PM
I'll be the first to admit that I don't know a whole lot about Breaston besides the name. I do remember however thinking that he was a pretty decent receiver whenever I did see him play.

With Sanders gone, Breaston may be able to come in and fill a third receiver slot on the cheap. It'd be something to look at, at least.

Sanders?

Dwinsgames
02-19-2013, 05:51 PM
Breaston was solid in Arizona in Haley system if I am not mistaken he had a 1,000 season there ( or dam close to it )

salamander
02-19-2013, 05:58 PM
I would take him (assuming we can afford to sign any free agents given our cap situation).

Count Steeler
02-19-2013, 06:06 PM
Bring him home if he plays for vet min.

I'm still waiting for the FO to clean house. We can't be signing until we be cutting.

- - - Updated - - -

Breaston was solid in Arizona in Haley system if I am not mistaken he had a 1,000 season there ( or dam close to it )

1006 yards in 2008. :thumbsup:

Psycho Ward 86
02-19-2013, 06:20 PM

yeah but that was because the cardinals were one of the worst teams at running the ball and fitz and boldin had career years. fitz also had the best postseason that any receiver ever had, even better than jerry rice. Not to mention kurt warner had one of his best years. sure seems like breaston proved he couldnt be an effective starter once he didnt have fitz and boldin to hide behind. then again he did have cassell throwing to him. brown, sanders, cotchery, breaston doesnt look too bad to me. kind of leaning towards him over plaxico, but will we have a good redzone target if heath cant play early on?

86WARD
02-19-2013, 06:59 PM
Antonio Brown and whomever is not Larry Fitzgerald and Anquan Bodin...lol...

Dwinsgames
02-19-2013, 07:02 PM
yeah but that was because the cardinals were one of the worst teams at running the ball and fitz and boldin had career years. fitz also had the best postseason that any receiver ever had, even better than jerry rice. Not to mention kurt warner had one of his best years. sure seems like breaston proved he couldnt be an effective starter once he didnt have fitz and boldin to hide behind. then again he did have cassell throwing to him. brown, sanders, cotchery, breaston doesnt look too bad to me. kind of leaning towards him over plaxico, but will we have a good redzone target if heath cant play early on?

we usually carry 5 wr's opening day anyhow so include Plax with that group unless we draft someone capable of beating one of them out in training camp / pre season and I would be fine with that group PROVIDED we have a new starter at RB who can be a 3 down player and make plays in space

salamander
02-19-2013, 07:26 PM
we usually carry 5 wr's opening day anyhow so include Plax with that group unless we draft someone capable of beating one of them out in training camp / pre season and I would be fine with that group PROVIDED we have a new starter at RB who can be a 3 down player and make plays in space

We only carried 4 WR's to start last season, but your point is still valid.

Dwinsgames
02-19-2013, 07:28 PM
We only carried 4 WR's to start last season, but your point is still valid.

last year was a rarity but your point stands we in fact did only have 4 on the roster ( and it came back to bite us too )

salamander
02-19-2013, 07:40 PM
last year was a rarity but your point stands we in fact did only have 4 on the roster ( and it came back to bite us too )

I never understood it from the beginning. I know they were expecting Rainey to fill the last WR spot, but as you alluded to, it didn't exactly work out.

Shoes
02-19-2013, 08:11 PM
Sanders?

Did I miss something?

Craic
02-19-2013, 08:27 PM
Sanders?

Yep, as in Colonel! :chuckle: Sorry, meant Cedric Wilson.

EDIT: Wait, that doesn't sound right . . .

Shoes
02-19-2013, 08:28 PM
Yep, as in Colonel! :chuckle: Sorry, meant Cedric Wilson.

:buttkick: :chuckle:

GBMelBlount
02-19-2013, 08:29 PM
Did I miss something?

@Preacher - LOL

I guess not.

Assuming we keep Sanders, Breaston sounds like a good pick and would add depth to an already good WR corps of Brown, Sanders, Cotchery & Burress.

Craic
02-19-2013, 09:15 PM
@Preacher - LOL

I guess not.

Assuming we keep Sanders, Breaston sounds like a good pick and would add depth to an already good WR corps of Brown, Sanders, Cotchery & Burress.

What is WRONG with me tonight? First I'm thinking "Sanders" instead of Wallace. Then, I read the above, and I SWEAR I read, "Assuming we keep Sanders, Breaston sound like a good prick and..."

????

Seven
02-19-2013, 09:29 PM
Breaston would be a good fit.

st33lersguy
02-19-2013, 09:30 PM
If the Steelers can afford to have him, they will get him. They signed Leonard Pope who followed Todd Haley around from Arizona to Kansas City to Pittsburgh

Devilsdancefloor
02-19-2013, 11:42 PM
he mightbe a good fit. also he and woodley are really good friends and where teammates at UofM

43Hitman
02-20-2013, 05:57 AM
What is WRONG with me tonight? First I'm thinking "Sanders" instead of Wallace. Then, I read the above, and I SWEAR I read, "Assuming we keep Sanders, Breaston sound like a good prick and..."

????

And now you're calling Breaston a prick. :lol: :lol: You sir need to go to confession. lmao

SteelerFanInStl
02-20-2013, 08:12 AM
Breaston is a decent WR. I wouldn't mind that signing.

GBMelBlount
02-20-2013, 01:36 PM
Breaston is a decent WR. I wouldn't mind that signing.

I am wondering how Breaston and Cotchery compare / contrast.

Are they about the same caliber?

SteelerFanInStl
02-20-2013, 04:24 PM
I am wondering how Breaston and Cotchery compare / contrast.

Are they about the same caliber?

Breaston is faster, Cotchery is bigger. Only one year difference in age.

I don't think that either one could be anything better than a #3 or 4 WR.

Thinking about it, it really wouldn't make sense to bring in Breaston unless if we get rid of Cotchery.

GBMelBlount
02-20-2013, 06:28 PM
Breaston is faster, Cotchery is bigger. Only one year difference in age.

I don't think that either one could be anything better than a #3 or 4 WR.

Thinking about it, it really wouldn't make sense to bring in Breaston unless if we get rid of Cotchery.

Well, we do have good speed with Brown and Sanders.

and I do like that Cotchery is a bigger target and there is Burress of course.

steeldawg
02-20-2013, 07:55 PM
Brown lacks straight line speed and is undersized, i dont think playing on the outside is the best spot for him or sanders, we need a presence on the outside. With that being said, breaston is not that guy.

Dwinsgames
02-20-2013, 11:06 PM
smurfs

LLT
02-21-2013, 06:37 AM
Brown lacks straight line speed and is undersized,

Brown ran a 4.43 at his Pro day...and a 4.47 at the combine. Very good straight line speed marks...by ANY standard.

steelreserve
02-21-2013, 09:48 AM
I can see how this might work if he'd play for free ... otherwise :noidea:

Count Steeler
02-21-2013, 01:04 PM
Brown ran a 4.43 at his Pro day...and a 4.47 at the combine. Very good straight line speed marks...by ANY standard.

Obviously not for steeldawg's standard. "Wallace, there is no other!" Yes, I am putting words in his mouth.

Psycho Ward 86
02-21-2013, 01:24 PM

not very good for such a small wide receiver. decent.

st33lersguy
02-21-2013, 04:07 PM
not very good for such a small wide receiver. decent.

It really doesn't matter how fast you are, it depends on whether or not you can catch and gain your team yardage. Speed is merely a tangible asset that gives the player an advantage, not the ultimate predictor of talent

steeldawg
02-21-2013, 04:46 PM
Obviously not for steeldawg's standard. "Wallace, there is no other!" Yes, I am putting words in his mouth.

I took it right from browns scouting report.

Count Steeler
02-21-2013, 05:00 PM
Brown 6th round pick. Wallace 3rd round. Sanders 3rd round. Toney Clements 7th round.

You win some, you lose some. Brown at 6th was a steal.

steeldawg
02-21-2013, 05:02 PM
It really doesn't matter how fast you are, it depends on whether or not you can catch and gain your team yardage. Speed is merely a tangible asset that gives the player an advantage, not the ultimate predictor of talent

You can teach pass catching, you can not teach speed.

Count Steeler
02-21-2013, 05:45 PM

I guess Wallace is still in school for the former?

SteelerFanInStl
02-21-2013, 05:49 PM

Not really. You either have the hands or you don't.

steeldawg
02-21-2013, 05:58 PM
Not really. You either have the hands or you don't.

No you can teach hand eye coordination, you can teach technique, you can improve hand strength, Its not like anyone can walk out on the field and start catching the ball. Yes you can train to be "faster" but you cant train to be "fast".

zulater
02-21-2013, 06:45 PM
No you can teach hand eye coordination, you can teach technique, you can improve hand strength, Its not like anyone can walk out on the field and start catching the ball. Yes you can train to be "faster" but you cant train to be "fast".

Jerry Rice, Chris Carter, Lynn Swann, John Stallworth, Fred Biletnikoff, Larry Fitzgerald, AnQuan Boldin, Hines Ward, ... stop me when I get to the real burner.

Count Steeler
02-21-2013, 06:48 PM
Jerry Rice, Chris Carter, Lynn Swann, John Stallworth, Fred Biletnikoff, Larry Fitzgerald, AnQuan Boldin, Hines Ward, ... stop me when I get to the real burner.

Pfft, who are those guys? Just wait til Wallace finishes his career. He will rewrite the record book. :sarcasm:

steeldawg
02-21-2013, 07:17 PM

Cris carter 6'3'' 208, Lynn swann numbers not all that impressive, Stallworth was 6'2'' 190, biletnikoff 6'1 190, fitz 6'3'' 218, boldin, 6'1'' 220 plays primarily in the slot, hines ward 6'0 205 slot reciever, jerry rice 6'2'' 200. The guys you list all have size so they dont need to be as fast or they play in the slot where usually they not having to get off of press coverage. The point is brown is not the ideal size or speed that you want on the outside, this is not a knock on him its just a fact.

SteelerFanInStl
02-21-2013, 07:21 PM

By the time you get to the NFL, you either have the hands or you don't. Ask Limas Sweed.

LLT
02-21-2013, 11:34 PM
I took it right from browns scouting report.

That was a "PRE-DRAFT" report in which they projected him to run above a 4.5

On ANY planet....4.43 is upper tier speed...just short of elite.

To put it into perspective...out of the 32 cornerbacks at the 2012 combine....only 4 prospects were able to run faster than a 4.3.

In a nutshell...Brown can outrun almost 90% of those players that were drafted to cover him.

Dwinsgames
02-22-2013, 12:29 AM
That was a "PRE-DRAFT" report in which they projected him to run above a 4.5

On ANY planet....4.43 is upper tier speed...just short of elite.

To put it into perspective...out of the 32 cornerbacks at the 2012 combine....only 4 prospects were able to run faster than a 4.3.

In a nutshell...Brown can outrun almost 90% of those players that were drafted to cover him.

THIS ...

then you have to account for his " quickness and shiftiness " that comes in that same package ....

he has the tools and then some , now he just needs to learn how to hang onto the ball with more regularity esp in crucial situations

LLT
02-22-2013, 01:04 AM
Cris carter 6'3'' 208, Lynn swann numbers not all that impressive, Stallworth was 6'2'' 190, biletnikoff 6'1 190, fitz 6'3'' 218, boldin, 6'1'' 220 plays primarily in the slot, hines ward 6'0 205 slot reciever, jerry rice 6'2'' 200. The guys you list all have size so they dont need to be as fast or they play in the slot where usually they not having to get off of press coverage. The point is brown is not the ideal size or speed that you want on the outside, this is not a knock on him its just a fact.

No...its not.

You are wrong about his speed...as I have "tried" to show you.

You are also wrong about him not having the size to be on the outside. More times than not, the X receiver is the guy that the team depends on to make the big plays. However, in the changing NFL...its not uncommon to place the teams best WR in the slot at times so as to create mismatches. The trend in todays NFL is to draft players capable of playing all the WR positions...the X, the Z or flanker, and the slot. Players with that ability and with relatively the same size as Brown play the X all the time....Ever hear of Desean Jackson? Unless he has grown in the off season, Jackson is 5'10 175 lbs.

Seven
02-22-2013, 03:55 AM
Did you guys know Antonio Brown sucks? He's really not fast, is very small, is worse than Mike Wallace and is way overpaid. We shouldn't have wasted that sixth round pick on him, ugh. The guy is so overpaid. He only ran a 4.43 didn't even get close to a 4.3. At 5'10, 185 he's way too small to play any role other than slot receiver. And he should be way faster than he is at his size. He only has "decent" speed, and you know you can't teach/improve speed, right? It's impossible for a player to improve his speed through targetted workouts, you are born with speed and no matter what you do, you can't teach it. So he's only going to get slower. And we paid him so, so, SO much money his contract is really killing the rest of our team. We should have paid Mike Wallace a few million more because you can teach hand eye coordination, but not speed, no-way-no-how. Brown is lazy too. He's a poor leader. The golden child tarnished himself this season with such awful stats and he got injured all the time. We can't have our players getting injured all the time, ya know? We need to cut this bum. I'm not saying he's a bad player or anything, I never said that. I'm glad he's on the team. But we shouldn't have extended his contract. I never said he has bad speed, quit putting words in my mouth all I said was he isn't very fast. And did I mention he's overpaid?

Galax Steeler
02-22-2013, 04:49 AM
Did you guys know Antonio Brown sucks? He's really not fast, is very small, is worse than Mike Wallace and is way overpaid. We shouldn't have wasted that sixth round pick on him, ugh. The guy is so overpaid. He only ran a 4.43 didn't even get close to a 4.3. At 5'10, 185 he's way too small to play any role other than slot receiver. And he should be way faster than he is at his size. He only has "decent" speed, and you know you can't teach/improve speed, right? It's impossible for a player to improve his speed through targetted workouts, you are born with speed and no matter what you do, you can't teach it. So he's only going to get slower. And we paid him so, so, SO much money his contract is really killing the rest of our team. We should have paid Mike Wallace a few million more because you can teach hand eye coordination, but not speed, no-way-no-how. Brown is lazy too. He's a poor leader. The golden child tarnished himself this season with such awful stats and he got injured all the time. We can't have our players getting injured all the time, ya know? We need to cut this bum. I'm not saying he's a bad player or anything, I never said that. I'm glad he's on the team. But we shouldn't have extended his contract. I never said he has bad speed, quit putting words in my mouth all I said was he isn't very fast. And did I mention he's overpaid?

:toofunny:

zulater
02-22-2013, 07:51 AM

I don't think they could have won those first 6 Lombardi's without Mike Wallace! :nono:

86WARD
02-22-2013, 09:25 AM

Only some of what you say there is true. He was overpaid for his production last season. He's not a good leader at the moment. Talking locker room " problems" to media isn't what a leader does. They handle it internally. Lol.

zulater
02-22-2013, 09:54 AM
Only some of what you say there is true. He was overpaid for his production last season. He's not a good leader at the moment. Talking locker room " problems" to media isn't what a leader does. They handle it internally. Lol.

The Steelers obviously have some legitimate issues going into the 2013 season. Antonio Brown isn't one of them. And neither is his contract.

Anyone who bothers to watch the link I provided from ESPN's First Take and watch the comments in context wouldn't be making an issue out of what he had to say either.

Talk about a Red herring. :frusty:

86WARD
02-22-2013, 02:18 PM
http://eagnews.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/sunglasses.jpg

st33lersguy
02-22-2013, 05:11 PM

And Wallace isn't lazy? He didn't quit on the team when his outlandish demands weren't met? He didn't carry a very poor attitude with him throughout the season? And last offseason you wanted the Steelers to pay 12-13 million a year to Wallace who literally did NOTHING the last 9 games of the prior season? And please stop pretending that speed is be-all end-all factor in determining whether or not a WR is any good. Some of the traits you criticized Brown for having are the same characteristics Wallace has, who you would have paid a few million more for

Count Steeler
02-22-2013, 05:31 PM
And Wallace isn't lazy? He didn't quit on the team when his outlandish demands weren't met? He didn't carry a very poor attitude with him throughout the season? And last offseason you wanted the Steelers to pay 12-13 million a year to Wallace who literally did NOTHING the last 9 games of the prior season? And please stop pretending that speed is be-all end-all factor in determining whether or not a WR is any good. Some of the traits you criticized Brown for having are the same characteristics Wallace has, who you would have paid a few million more for

Seven was being sarcastic, more in response to the steeldawg line of posts.

86WARD
02-24-2013, 02:01 PM
Breaston's agent is meeting with Colbert today.

stillers4me
02-24-2013, 03:08 PM
Steelers meeting today with Breaston’s agent
http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2013/02/breaston.jpg?w=344 APAmong the many instances of illegal tampering that are occurring brazenly in Indianapolis are plenty of legitimate meetings.
When it comes to former Chiefs receiver Steve Breaston (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4261/steve-breaston), he’s fair game for phone calls and emails and face-to-face conversations, since the Chiefs terminated his contract earlier this week.
Per a source with knowledge of the situation, Breaston’s agent will meet Sunday with Steelers G.M. Kevin Colbert.......

read more @ http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/02/24/steelers-meeting-today-with-breastons-agent/#comments

Dwinsgames
02-24-2013, 03:13 PM
fine by me , it lessens the burden to draft one ...Breaston can be successful in this league esp in Haleys system , he has done it before ... a draft pick is anyone's guess regardless if he is the first off the board or the last or somewhere in between ..WR may be the toughest pos to translate to the next level

Count Steeler
02-24-2013, 03:17 PM
I assume they have the plan worked out for the salary cap issues. Should be some heads spinning or asploding by March 12.

Steelers' fans, you better buckle up.

I agree, a deal with Breaston lessons the need for a WR pick until, maybe the 4th/5th rd depending what is on the board.

Bluecoat96
02-24-2013, 03:29 PM
If they sign Breaston, do you think Cotchery's days are numbered? Just a thought.

Count Steeler
02-24-2013, 03:32 PM
If they sign Breaston, do you think Cotchery's days are numbered? Just a thought.

Hard to say the way the dollars are going to get sliced. If we draft a WR early, I would think Cotch is done.

86WARD
02-24-2013, 03:34 PM
THey would have to make some roster adjustments before signing Breaston...correct?

SteelerFanInStl
02-24-2013, 03:38 PM
My concern with Breaston is that he's too similar to Brown and Sanders. I'd rather see a bigger WR.

Dwinsgames
02-24-2013, 03:58 PM
THey would have to make some roster adjustments before signing Breaston...correct?

I do not think so , did they fill Raineys roster spot ?

if you are speaking in terms to cap , no because the new league year has not started in terms to the cap ..

Seven
02-25-2013, 10:25 PM
I'd like to see them ultimately sign Breaston. It makes sense. He's not a huge signing but I think he'd have better success here than most would expect. He's a very solid player. Would add another option to the return game with Rainey gone, a good option - and he can do a bit of everything from a receiving standpoint. I'm not concerned that he's too much like Cotchery or Brown/Sanders. The guy isn't tiny at 6'0 190 but he isn't a posession guy like Cotchery largely is at this point either, he's got speed and size. He's somewhere between Brown/Sanders and Cotchery in my opinion. I think he makes a great addition and the four of those receivers work just fine for me.

Craic
02-25-2013, 10:58 PM
And now I'm reading "Crotchery." I think I'm going to stay out of this thread altogether from this point on. :doh:

LLT
02-26-2013, 01:14 AM
My concern with Breaston is that he's too similar to Brown and Sanders. I'd rather see a bigger WR.

I dont know... Most people talk about Breaston at slot but while with the Cardinals he mainly played at the "Z" reciever position, opposite of Larry Fitzgerald, with Anquan Boldin usually in the slot. I think, if we sign Breaston we would probably see Brown at "X"...Breaston at "Z", and Sanders at his natural Slot Reciever position.

Generally that means that Breaston would be our #2 reciever...but Tomlin has never tethered himself to that rule and likes for his recievers to be versatile enough to play every position.