PDA

View Full Version : Larry Foote contract talks

Dwinsgames
02-19-2013, 03:50 PM
Steelers and Foote are in the midst of negotiations per Mr. Ed http://sulia.com/channel/pittsburgh-steelers/f/be0bee3e-2592-404a-bb6e-e480bb9d781f/?source=twitter

Mojouw
02-19-2013, 04:16 PM
Well I certainly hope that Foote is not the starter alongside Timmons on opening day, but this is kind of on par with the Steelers MO lately. Enter the draft with as few gaping holes on the starting roster as possible.

Figure Sylvester is gone then and Spence is done before he even started?

zulater
02-19-2013, 05:10 PM
Well I certainly hope that Foote is not the starter alongside Timmons on opening day, but this is kind of on par with the Steelers MO lately. Enter the draft with as few gaping holes on the starting roster as possible.

I'm guessing he's coming back at or close to the vet minimum, with no promise to start. Ideally they want Spence to come back and earn the job. But if he's not ready at the start of the season Foote is a nice safe fallback position to have.

Good move on the Steelers part imo. :applaudit:

Psycho Ward 86
02-19-2013, 05:30 PM
so....10 dollars, a case of beer, and a gummy worm is what were paying him with our cap situation...right???

Craic
02-19-2013, 05:43 PM
I'm guessing he's coming back at or close to the vet minimum, with no promise to start. Ideally they want Spence to come back and earn the job. But if he's not ready at the start of the season Foote is a nice safe fallback position to have.

Good move on the Steelers part imo. :applaudit:

I agree. I wasn't too impressed with Foote earlier in his career. But since he's stepped in for Farrior, I think he's done a good job. A solid, reliable player that isn't going to give you a lot of flashy players, but isn't going to let a lot of players get by him either. He's exactly what we need during the "Linebacker crisis of '13" offseason - stability.

salamander
02-19-2013, 06:00 PM
I like it.

Dwinsgames
02-19-2013, 07:26 PM
we could do a hell of a lot worse

Steeldude
02-19-2013, 08:00 PM
More wasted cap room. As one member previously stated, this better be vet minimum($825,000) with no promise to start. I would like to add no signing bonus or any other perks. The Steelers need to do a better job at shoring up the LB corps.

Next they will be re-signing Hampton :doh:

Steeltreal
02-19-2013, 08:06 PM
More wasted cap room. As one member previously stated, this better be vet minimum($825,000) with no promise to start. I would like to add no signing bonus or any other perks. The Steelers need to do a better job at shoring up the LB corps.

Next they will be re-signing Hampton :doh:

Casey was playing with some fire in the last games of the season, something Hood and Heyward currently lack. Pretty sure they will be looking to draft someone that brings leadership to the defensive front .

GBMelBlount
02-19-2013, 08:35 PM
Unlike Woodsloth, Foote has played to his potential as much as any Steeler linebacker imo.

I also think he is well liked and respected by his teammates.

Starter or not I hope we can keep him at the right price.

Austin87
02-20-2013, 06:02 AM
If they bring him back at vet minimum,that would make sense. Anything over vet minimum and I won't be a happy chappy.

NJarhead
02-20-2013, 07:36 AM

He was 2nd in tackles (behind Timmons) and called the plays. If he signs for vet minimum, I'd call it a win-win.

BlastFurnace
02-20-2013, 08:07 PM
Unlike Woodsloth, Foote has played to his potential as much as any Steeler linebacker imo.

I also think he is well liked and respected by his teammates.

Starter or not I hope we can keep him at the right price.

Agreed. If the WoodenDong had Foote's heart, we'd have the best linebacker in the league.

LLT
02-21-2013, 04:20 AM
Wow...I am in the unique position of truly understanding why some would like Foote resigned and why some doent think we should. Foote really has been a stabilizing force and understands better than most what it means to be a Pittsburgh Steeler. His leaving for a short time then being accepted back into the fold, makes him appreciate the way this organization is ran...and is one of the reasons that he is very intolerant of "breaking the code".

On the flip side...although he is a good runstopper...his ability to drop into coverage against TE's and slot recievers is weak and we could definately upgrade the position.

I say sign him to an affordable contract...draft a stud ILB and let Foote overachieve for a year until the rook understands our system.

Fair enough?

Shoes
02-21-2013, 07:54 AM
Wow...I am in the unique position of truly understanding why some would like Foote resigned and why some doent think we should. Foote really has been a stabilizing force and understands better than most what it means to be a Pittsburgh Steeler. His leaving for a short time then being accepted back into the fold, makes him appreciate the way this organization is ran...and is one of the reasons that he is very intolerant of "breaking the code".

On the flip side...although he is a good runstopper...his ability to drop into coverage against TE's and slot recievers is weak and we could definately upgrade the position.

I say sign him to an affordable contract...draft a stud ILB and let Foote overachieve for a year until the rook understands our system.

Fair enough?

This makes perfect sense.

steelerdude15
02-21-2013, 03:13 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing him back if he signs for vet minimum and nothing more. I think that with the younger linebackers, him and James can teach them a few lessons about the linebacker position.

zulater
02-21-2013, 04:13 PM

Fair enough?

Maybe they think Spence is that guy if his knee is right?

Count Steeler
02-21-2013, 04:24 PM
Maybe they think Spence is that guy if his knee is right?

That would be kind of reckless. What did he play 3 preseason games in LeBeau's vanilla defense? The same defense that takes 3 years to learn? I wouldn't put all my eggs in Spence's basket.

I think Spence has more questions unanswered than answered, especially with that knee injury. I am buckling in for a long season.

zulater
02-21-2013, 06:13 PM
That would be kind of reckless. What did he play 3 preseason games in LeBeau's vanilla defense? The same defense that takes 3 years to learn? I wouldn't put all my eggs in Spence's basket.

I think Spence has more questions unanswered than answered, especially with that knee injury. I am buckling in for a long season.

Woodley was a quality starter by his second season.
http://www.nfl.com/player/lamarrwoodley/2507173/profile

Timmons was a very productive reserve in his second season.
http://www.nfl.com/player/lawrencetimmons/2495762/profile

Assuming the Steelers know more about Spence's rehab than we do, and that they're satisfied that he can contribute next season, bringing back Foote makes all the sense in the world.

Count Steeler
02-21-2013, 06:30 PM
Woodley was a quality starter by his second season.
http://www.nfl.com/player/lamarrwoodley/2507173/profile

Timmons was a very productive reserve in his second season.
http://www.nfl.com/player/lawrencetimmons/2495762/profile

Assuming the Steelers know more about Spence's rehab than we do, and that they're satisfied that he can contribute next season, bringing back Foote makes all the sense in the world.

I agree, for the right price, Foote is a good insurance policy. As to the other points, it just drives me nuts that rookies are not given any chances to prove themselves in game action, even when we have a decent lead (yeah, hasn't been for awhile). The best development ground is on the field in game action. My 3 year comment was an exaggeration.

And Spence did not play at all last year, so he won't be allowed to play much this year.