PDA

View Full Version : Robinson: Te’o, Steelers Could Be Perfect Couple

SteelerEmpire
02-17-2013, 01:15 AM
He is an acknowledged leader, an instinctive player who isn't a project but a producer. He was primarily responsible for the long-awaited turnaround of college football's classic program, a feat perhaps even more befitting of a Hollywood movie than “Rudy.”

-----------

LINK: http://triblive.com/sports/nfl/3472071-74/steelers-player-linebacker#axzz2L8Z5znzg

43Hitman
02-17-2013, 08:25 AM
I just don't see them drafting him with their first pick, but I'm no draft nik, so what the hell do I know? lol

GBMelBlount
02-17-2013, 08:47 AM
Not sure I am Cuckoo for this Cocoa Puff.

steelerdude15
02-17-2013, 10:54 AM
After Kevin Colbert said they would take a player with issues, I got a gut-wrenching feeling that Te'o would be our first round pick because when Colbert said that, it was right in the middle of Te'o's drama. I personally do not want him because of all the stuff that happened. Let someone else draft him.

zulater
02-17-2013, 12:34 PM
Teo better have a thick skin. You know he's going to be brutalized by players and fans alike next year.

NCSteeler
02-17-2013, 12:48 PM
Yeah, I'm not sure that you can call him an acknowledged leader. He is going to have a tough time coming into an NFL locker room as a leader with being that naive and with some baggage

Psycho Ward 86
02-17-2013, 01:32 PM
the fake girlfriend stuff is overblown imo. Id be pretty happy with teo or ogletree

SteelerFanInStl
02-17-2013, 02:07 PM
No thank you. I'd rather have Ogletree.

zulater
02-17-2013, 02:23 PM

ditto. Teo's a headcase any way you cut it.

Psycho Ward 86
02-17-2013, 02:49 PM
really dont see how you can confirm that he's a headcase. but i think ogletree is a better prospect for our 3-4

silver & black
02-17-2013, 03:28 PM
He's been linked to the Raiders for a while now. Your'e welcome to him. I don't want him.

st33lersguy
02-17-2013, 05:37 PM
Seriously, what did Te'o do other than get fooled in some hoax? His season was excellent and he is an impact player

Count Steeler
02-17-2013, 05:42 PM
I would prefer a trade down, perhaps out of the first round. If he is available with 1 of our picks in the second round, I would take him. Hopefully he has learned some life lessons and he is a little more mature for it now.

silver & black
02-17-2013, 06:03 PM
Seriously, what did Te'o do other than get fooled in some hoax? His season was excellent and he is an impact player

When ND played Bama, that was as close to NFL talent that Te'o played. He looked very average and nothing special at all.

steelerdude15
02-17-2013, 06:06 PM
When ND played Bama, that was as close to NFL talent that Te'o played. He looked very average and nothing special at all.

Yup, he was a non factor the entire game. I remember that he had a big issue with his angles which took him out of plays countless times.

86WARD
02-17-2013, 06:08 PM
He got abused by the most "ready NFL team" the NCAA can field. No thanks.

dislocatedday
02-17-2013, 06:16 PM
Didn't all those stellar defensive players for Georgia get trucked by Alabama too this past season? I would not discount the guy based on one game, or the fact that he fell for a hoax that was way over-publicized. I'm not saying he is the player I want to Steelers to draft, but he is not garbage.

zulater
02-17-2013, 06:21 PM

To me Teo is a glorified Larry Foote. Don't get me wrong, Foote's an ok NFL player. But he was a 4th rounder. And with the 17th pick in the first round I want a better player.

GBMelBlount
02-17-2013, 06:22 PM
Didn't all those stellar defensive players for Georgia get trucked by Alabama too this past season? I would not discount the guy based on one game, or the fact that he fell for a hoax that was way over-publicized. I'm not saying he is the player I want to Steelers to draft, but he is not garbage.

I agree. Having one bad game is not enough to scratch someone....and to be honest, while I poke fun at his situation, I would not be upset if we took him especially after the 1st round.

Shoes
02-17-2013, 06:27 PM

He was just busted for a DUI

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/alec-ogletree-former-georgia-linebacker-arrested-charged-dui-021713

st33lersguy
02-17-2013, 07:16 PM

You know else who looked nothing special in the only loss of his final college football season against the closest thing to NFL competition? Big Ben who looked bad against Iowa (who didn't even finish in the top 10 that year nor was as good as last year's Stanford team that Teo looked like a star against) before going on a tear against mid-major competition. I'm not buying the whole he shouldn't be drafted just because he stunk against his best competition argument

zulater
02-17-2013, 07:41 PM
You know else who looked nothing special in the only loss of his final college football season against the closest thing to NFL competition? Big Ben who looked bad against Iowa (who didn't even finish in the top 10 that year nor was as good as last year's Stanford team that Teo looked like a star against) before going on a tear against mid-major competition. I'm not buying the whole he shouldn't be drafted just because he stunk against his best competition argument

From what I've seen he's not a guy who got off blocks well regardless of competition. The design of the ND defense gave him a lot of free runs at the ball. That wont happen in our defense.

SteelerFanInStl
02-17-2013, 07:46 PM
He was just busted for a DUI

Yep, saw that after I posted. Very disappointing. Too many issues with him to risk a first round pick now unfortunately.

Godfather
02-17-2013, 08:33 PM
The perfect couple would be Teo and the Miami Sharks, since the Miami Sharks don't really exist.

:rimshot:

steel striker
02-17-2013, 09:20 PM
Yeah I agree not to take Teo because, after watching the Bama/Irish game he did not show anything special. He will probably be a average player we need better than just average.

steelreserve
02-17-2013, 09:21 PM
No ... we already know the perfect couple:

http://guysgirl.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/ScreenHunter_14-Feb.-13-22.34.jpg

silver & black
02-18-2013, 11:15 AM
I don't hate the guy at all. I just don't think he's 1st round material.... and certainly not 3rd overall, where the Raiders pick.

NJarhead
02-18-2013, 11:33 AM
Okay, I've only followed this story loosely, but from what I do know, Te'o was a victim here. Granted, he was a little naive, but what else is he guilty of? Did he lie about anything? Any other key points or facts that I may be missing?

This aside, by all accounts he's a good kid and a damn good FB player (national championship aside). I'm sure he's embarrased, but I see no reason why he'd be a liability in the NFL for any team.

st33lersguy
02-18-2013, 11:35 AM
Okay, I've only followed this story loosely, but from what I do know, Te'o was a victim here. Granted, he was a little naive, but what else is he guilty of? Did he lie about anything? Any other key points or facts that I may be missing?

This aside, by all accounts he's a good kid and a damn good FB player (national championship aside). I'm sure he's embarrased, but I see no reason why he'd be a liability in the NFL for any team.

100% accuracy.

Dwinsgames
02-18-2013, 01:24 PM

3 character red flags over being duped ? ummm ok ....

personally I pass on BOTH of them at 17 and it has NOTHING to do with their football ability and everything to do with not being mentally ready for the next level ...

Teo can not tell the difference between a man and a woman on the phone how is he going to figure out run or pass in the NFL ?

Ogletree can't understand the microscope on him pre draft and gets a DUI at the most inopportune time in his life ( after already having question marks / red flags ) all he needs to do now is flunk the interview process and run a 5 second 40 and he will have Burficted himself into the ranks of the undrafted just like Burfict a top 10 pick talent wise who just could not grasp the importance of good citizenship and hard work .... not a good course of action / plan to follow prior to the draft

we need guys ready for the spotlight and everything that comes with it not just physically strong but mentally as well , these guys ( especially at 17 and above ) need to be the whole package to merit the selection otherwise bust potential increases dramatically , we can ill afford a bust at 17 we do not pick pre 20 often .......

if we are going to take a chance on a kid with question marks we better do it later not with the prized pick of our bunch

- - - Updated - - -

Yup, he was a non factor the entire game. I remember that he had a big issue with his angles which took him out of plays countless times.

has that not been the knock on Larry Foote his entire career ????

- - - Updated - - -

I would prefer a trade down, perhaps out of the first round. If he is available with 1 of our picks in the second round, I would take him. Hopefully he has learned some life lessons and he is a little more mature for it now.

THIS

Dwinsgames
02-18-2013, 01:30 PM

he did lie ...

he claimed to be at his mythical girlfriends side when she passed .... since there was no "GIRLfriend" and since there was no death I think it is safe to go ahead and make the assumption he lied ...

NJarhead
02-18-2013, 01:53 PM
he did lie ...

he claimed to be at his mythical girlfriends side when she passed .... since there was no "GIRLfriend" and since there was no death I think it is safe to go ahead and make the assumption he lied ...

I didn't read that he claimed to be by her side, but did read that he lied on December 8th (after finding out she was "alive" on December 6th). The kid was duped.
I don't hold it against him. He's not a problem child.

SteelerFanInStl
02-18-2013, 05:01 PM
3 character red flags over being duped ? ummm ok ....

Funny how you guys come back with these comments AFTER Ogletree got his DUI. :lol: Where was your comment before, which is when I posted that?

I was picking Ogletree based on ability, not based on character. With his DUI, he's now off my radar.

steeldevil
02-18-2013, 05:13 PM
If you want to say we shouldnt pick him because of his on field play against Bama then thats fine, even though him realizing he had been catfished like that was definitely on his mind in that game....

But all the "he is a headcase. no thanks" talk is utter nonsense.... He was mentally immature and got taken advantage of. He did nothing wrong. I'm sure he has grown up alot from it and nothing like this would happen again.

I would have no problem with us picking him. I want a trade down most though and maybe he is there late 1st/2nd, but I doubt it.

Dwinsgames
02-18-2013, 05:13 PM
Funny how you guys come back with these comments AFTER Ogletree got his DUI. :lol: Where was your comment before, which is when I posted that?

I was picking Ogletree based on ability, not based on character. With his DUI, he's now off my radar.

I mentioned them in the draft section of the forum BEFORE the DUI.... go search the forum it is there someplace in one of those threads ....

here is what Ed is saying now ...

With all the trouble they had with last year’s rookie class, there is no way they will draft this kid.
From CBSSports.com:
Ogletree, who led Georgia with 111 tackles despite being suspended for four games, recently was arrested for allegedly driving under the influence, according to his agent.
Coach Mark Richt suspended Ogletree for the first four games of 2012 because he failed drug tests during spring practice. Ogletree also was arrested for the theft of a Georgia track athlete's motorcycle helmet in September 2010 and was suspended for his first college game.

page 7 of looking into the 2013 draft thread , there I compared him to Burfict ( back in January )

SteelerFanInStl
02-18-2013, 06:33 PM
I mentioned them in the draft section of the forum BEFORE the DUI.... go search the forum it is there someplace in one of those threads ....

here is what Ed is saying now ...

page 7 of looking into the 2013 draft thread , there I compared him to Burfict ( back in January )

I don't see the Burfict comparison. Everything that I read about Burfict said that he was an attitude problem. He played poorly in his junior year and was known to basically play only when he felt like it.

I haven't heard anything like that for Ogletree. All of his issues have been OFF the field. He led Georgia in tackles this year despite missing 4 games. He hasn't had any on field issues.

Dwinsgames
02-18-2013, 07:47 PM
I don't see the Burfict comparison. Everything that I read about Burfict said that he was an attitude problem. He played poorly in his junior year and was known to basically play only when he felt like it.

I haven't heard anything like that for Ogletree. All of his issues have been OFF the field. He led Georgia in tackles this year despite missing 4 games. He hasn't had any on field issues.

not as in Burfict exact same issue but the fact they both had them and both added to them as the draft process evolved .... Ogletree is a bad interview and poor 40 time away from ending up undrafted just like Burfict

SteelerFanInStl
02-18-2013, 11:25 PM
not as in Burfict exact same issue but the fact they both had them and both added to them as the draft process evolved .... Ogletree is a bad interview and poor 40 time away from ending up undrafted just like Burfict

There's not a chance in Hell of that happening. Unlike Burfict, there's never been any question about Ogletree's football ability.

steel9guy
02-19-2013, 10:21 AM
No way on Te'o. I wanted him until the Championship game when he showed his true colors.

NJarhead
02-19-2013, 10:24 AM
No way on Te'o. I wanted him until the Championship game when he showed his true colors.

That was one game and he was being targetted. Notre Dame got their ass kicked ALL around.

Psycho Ward 86
02-19-2013, 10:55 AM
crazy story guys. believe it or not, there were TEN WHOLE OTHER GUYS on the field at the same time by teo's side when he sucked it up against Bama. And yes, as said before, its just one game.

zulater
02-19-2013, 12:01 PM
crazy story guys. believe it or not, there were TEN WHOLE OTHER GUYS on the field at the same time by teo's side when he sucked it up against Bama. And yes, as said before, its just one game.

I get what you're saying, but I still see him as a younger Larry foote, and not much more. If you could get him in the 3rd round that would be a great pick. but at 17 I want a little more of an impact player than that.

Now I'm no expert obvioulsy. But from the highlights I've seen of Te'o I just don't see a guy defeating blocks. Or even a guy who's that great in coverage. Interceptions are great, but deflection interceptions aren't telling me a lot. This isn't Jack Ham shadowing his assigmnent in coverage and making a tremendous play on the ball.

Maybe I just haven't seen enough of him? But what I've seen leaves me underwhelmed. Ignoring the baggage I see a solid 7-10 year Pro who wont ever realize end of season honors ( Pro Bowl- All Pro) If we were drafting in the late 20's that's probably ok. But not in the teen's. I suppose if you trade down and draft him that's not so bad?

Psycho Ward 86
02-19-2013, 01:36 PM
why is getting fooled considered baggage? i just dont see how this tells us that he's wild, belligerent, selfish, and/or not worthy of leadership. stupid? possibly, but this is just one incident far overblown by the media. clearly he isnt stupid on the football field.

heck, for me the biggest thing to worry about him is maybe him being a bit big compared to the 230-240lb ilb's we've usually had

zulater
02-19-2013, 01:46 PM
why is getting fooled considered baggage? i just dont see how this tells us that he's wild, belligerent, selfish, and/or not worthy of leadership. stupid? possibly, but this is just one incident far overblown by the media. clearly he isnt stupid on the football field.

heck, for me the biggest thing to worry about him is maybe him being a bit big compared to the 230-240lb ilb's we've usually had

I don't think he can shed blocks on the NFL level. Hell I can't even find an instance of his beating a block at the college level.. That's the primary baggage that concerns me.

zulater
02-19-2013, 01:54 PM
I've watched about 5 different highlight films on him, and he looks more like a safety than an inside linebacker. I haven't seen one tackle where he sheds a block. I want a guy who can blow up the pile occasionally. I don't see it with this guy.

zulater
02-25-2013, 12:54 PM
Te'o just ran himself out of the first round with a forty in 4.81. For an inside LB who's primary assett is supposedly his ability to drop in coverage that's way below the line.

Dwinsgames
02-25-2013, 01:12 PM
Te'o runs Rich Eisen like 40 and slides to the 3rd round is my guess

zulater
02-25-2013, 01:26 PM
Te'o runs Rich Eisen like 40 and slides to the 3rd round is my guess

Hopefully this will end any talk of the Steelers taking him in the first round.

86WARD
02-25-2013, 01:27 PM
Brandon Spikes does fine and he had a shit 40-time as well. But it certainly doesn't help him or his "first round" status.

Dwinsgames
02-25-2013, 01:31 PM
the top 5 OLB prospects in 2012 slowest time was 4.68 ....

Burfict 5.09 and undrafted ...

speed is not the be all end all as ability to play , but lack of it drops your stock considerably and costs you $$$ .... I knew he was not going to light it up he does not play real fast either but I expected better ( Glad I was wrong )

zulater
02-25-2013, 01:34 PM
Brandon Spikes does fine and he had a shit 40-time as well. But it certainly doesn't help him or his "first round" status.
Brandon Spikes can shed NFL blockers, something Te'o probably can't do, being as he didn't do much of it at the college level.

He's a big name from a famous school. Same as Tim Tebow and hundreds of other great college players who's skills didn't translate to the next level to the same degree.

86WARD
02-25-2013, 01:34 PM
Official Time came out for Te'o...got worse! 4.82...lol.

zulater
02-25-2013, 01:40 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/manti-te-o-runs-slow-4-81-40-192229205--nfl.html

The question now isn't if the bad 40 time hurts Te'o's draft stock, it's how much it does.
The 40-yard dash doesn't mean everything, but it's not insignificant either. If a team is going to draft Te'o in the first round it will be expecting a three-down linebacker, and this might prove he doesn't have the speed to defend in a passing league.
And, even though Te'o handled himself well in his combine press conference, the poor 40-yard dash is part of a pretty disappointing combine in the areas that matter for NFL teams.
He already measured just 6-foot-1, 241 pounds, much lighter than the 6-2, 255 pounds Notre Dame listed him at. That's one pound lighter than Georgia's Alec Ogletree, perhaps the top inside linebacker prospect because of his all-around athletic ability. Te'o was supposed to at least be a bit of an old-school thumper inside, but that doesn't seem to be the case anymore. Te'o also won't bench press because of a stinger in his right shoulder, which won't help.

Dwinsgames
02-25-2013, 01:42 PM
to put this in perspective a little more , 4 DT ran faster in 2012 combine along with 10 DE's

zulater
02-25-2013, 01:43 PM
http://d3fsqtc6sy2z27.cloudfront.net/uploads/98a1ce05b82bdaaad59b628360f858a5_large

John Harbaugh's reaction ( on the right) to Te'o's 40.

I'm guessing the Ravens wont be drafting Te'o.

:chuckle:

Dwinsgames
02-25-2013, 02:06 PM
hopefully someone snags him up before Colbert has a brain fart and does it :doh:

86WARD
02-25-2013, 02:17 PM
hopefully someone snags him up before Colbert has a brain fart and does it :doh:

This. You can throw the Alabama game out the window and he still had the same problems against Stanford. It wasn't just the 'Bama game. I think Minter and Ogletree will go before Mantai. Even that kid from Alabama should go before.

GBMelBlount
02-25-2013, 02:27 PM
Wow, he even makes Woodley look fast.

Shoes
02-25-2013, 02:29 PM
Wow, he even makes Woodley look fast.

:chuckle: Wait till he gets on Woodley's diet and gains about 30 more pounds.

Psycho Ward 86
02-25-2013, 02:45 PM
well then, ill take ogletree lol. even with his dui

steeldevil
02-25-2013, 03:17 PM
LOL. As long as he doesnt go to a division rival, the Cheats, or the Cowboys I can't wait for him to prove everyone wrong.

GBMelBlount
02-25-2013, 03:32 PM
:chuckle: Wait till he gets on Woodley's diet and gains about 30 more pounds.

You mean Woodley's seefood and coleslawth diet....:chuckle:

http://www.kidssavingtherainforest.org/images/Valentinetheslotheatingcecropiablossom_000.jpg