PDA

View Full Version : There's a rumor 'round these parts......

stillers4me
02-16-2013, 03:32 PM
....that Mike Wallace was here in Cinci this weekend talking to the Bengals. We have heard it from 2 different people. RUMOR ONLY.

but interesting.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQyUKnCf0YY

Psycho Ward 86
02-16-2013, 04:09 PM
hope its not true

steeldawg
02-16-2013, 04:42 PM
that would be scary

SteelerEmpire
02-16-2013, 05:33 PM
Isn't the Broadway show "Annie" playing in Cincinnati this weekend ? Heard Wallace was a play buff.

Mojouw
02-16-2013, 06:17 PM
Since free agency hasn't officially started, wouldn't that be tampering? While I have no doubt that the Bengals would or could be interested in Wallace, I do doubt that they would be so foolish as to have a player in town for a visit prior to being allowed to contact players and agents as per NFL rules.

But then again, it is the Bungles.

GBMelBlount
02-16-2013, 06:19 PM
hope its not true

Don't even want to think about it.

http://youtu.be/PibDMGxiyJw

st33lersguy
02-16-2013, 06:32 PM
The bad thing about Wallace being in the division is that the Steelers will have to go up against Wallace twice a year, and the Steelers will be the only team Wallace will feel like putting forth an effort against. Other than that, it would be good for the Steelers if an AFC North rival ties up millions of dollars to a free agent bust

GBMelBlount
02-16-2013, 06:52 PM
The bad thing about Wallace being in the division is that the Steelers will have to go up against Wallace twice a year, and the Steelers will be the only team Wallace will feel like putting forth an effort against. Other than that, it would be good for the Steelers if an AFC North rival ties up millions of dollars to a free agent bust

Our whole team chemistry was COMPLETELY fooked up the last 2 years.

With the right quarterback and team Wallace can be lethal.

He put up some big numbers his first three years with us and Ben arguably doesn't even throw a very good long ball.

Shoes
02-16-2013, 07:33 PM
Our whole team chemistry was COMPLETELY fooked up the last 2 years.

With the right quarterback and team Wallace can be lethal.

He put up some big numbers his first three years with us and Ben arguably doesn't even throw a very good long ball.

.......and I think he will. Meanwhile, we'll continue to draft tree stumps and pay players to sit on the bench. :chuckle:

Psycho Ward 86
02-16-2013, 08:35 PM

youre hoping for an awful lot. wallace has only had 1 bad year out of 4 and youre expecting him to suck for all but 2 games a year. And no one has as much cap room as the bengals besides the browns. whatever wallace costs will leave them with plenty for other areas of need, which arent many. They have a premier wide receiver, a premier offensive line, and a decent to promising quarterback and runningback. thats a pretty ideal situation. and extremely unideal for us. not a good thing when worst case scenarios become a reality

SteelerEmpire
02-16-2013, 09:17 PM
youre hoping for an awful lot. wallace has only had 1 bad year out of 4 and youre expecting him to suck for all but 2 games a year. And no one has as much cap room as the bengals besides the browns. whatever wallace costs will leave them with plenty for other areas of need, which arent many. They have a premier wide receiver, a premier offensive line, and a decent to promising quarterback and runningback. thats a pretty ideal situation. and extremely unideal for us. not a good thing when worst case scenarios become a reality

You can't tell people anything. The Steelers tried to get a speed WR in Sweed, but he sucked. Found one in Wallace, now he's too expensive. Can't win for losing.

Steeldude
02-17-2013, 04:17 PM
Who cares? It means we get to see Wallace drop passes for another team. All you need to do is put a safety on him for help. Better yet, nail him when he crosses the middle. He is the type of WR who hears footsteps

Count Steeler
02-17-2013, 05:48 PM
No matter where he goes, he is going to be extra motivated when he plays against us. I hope he has a great career, but I think he is in a fizzle stage rather than a sizzle stage of his career.

Yeah, lots of excuses for last year, but his fizzle started in 2011.

steel9guy
02-19-2013, 10:27 AM
Who cares? It means we get to see Wallace drop passes for another team. All you need to do is put a safety on him for help. Better yet, nail him when he crosses the middle. He is the type of WR who hears footsteps
Exactly. I think Wallace is good for about one deep bomb a game but other than that he is not that good. Sanders hears footsteps as well so it'll be nice to rid ourselves of one of the two.

Psycho Ward 86
02-19-2013, 10:58 AM
You can't tell people anything. The Steelers tried to get a speed WR in Sweed, but he sucked. Found one in Wallace, now he's too expensive. Can't win for losing.

lol, i just did. if youre going to dispute something, nixing someone and ending it there doesnt say a whole lot. What on earth does 'cant win for losing' mean?

st33lersguy
02-19-2013, 11:37 AM
Wallace is a one-trick pony, a one dimensional football player who doesn't seem to have the heart of a great player. Throwing a bunch of money is a mistake.

Mojouw
02-19-2013, 12:15 PM
Wow. I didn't realize that there were so may psychologists that posted to Steelers message boards! Can we please debate the merits of players based on their performance or lack thereof -- not each of our perceptions of their attitude and mindset?

Oh wait. That's right. No one can tell me how losing Wallace makes the Steelers better. I remember now.

I do not believe that Wallace is worth the $10-11 million he is asking per year either. But if (or perhaps when) he is not resigned, it will leave a large whole on the roster. Losing Wallace leaves the team with only 2 starting caliber WR's (Brown and Sanders) and let us not forget that if Heath Miller is able to play at all in the upcoming season, let alone be anywhere near effective as a receiving threat -- it will be a shock. So that leaves a team with an aging defensive core looking at needing to add significant impact pieces on the offensive side of the ball as well. Not a good situation at all.

steelreserve
02-19-2013, 02:18 PM
Since free agency hasn't officially started, wouldn't that be tampering? While I have no doubt that the Bengals would or could be interested in Wallace, I do doubt that they would be so foolish as to have a player in town for a visit prior to being allowed to contact players and agents as per NFL rules.

But then again, it is the Bungles.

Didn't they get busted for tampering once not long ago? In any case, it doesn't matter since I'm sure he's going to the Patriots.

Oh wait. That's right. No one can tell me how losing Wallace makes the Steelers better. I remember now.

I do not believe that Wallace is worth the $10-11 million he is asking per year either. But if (or perhaps when) he is not resigned, it will leave a large whole on the roster. Losing Wallace leaves the team with only 2 starting caliber WR's (Brown and Sanders) and let us not forget that if Heath Miller is able to play at all in the upcoming season, let alone be anywhere near effective as a receiving threat -- it will be a shock. So that leaves a team with an aging defensive core looking at needing to add significant impact pieces on the offensive side of the ball as well. Not a good situation at all.

No, I don't think losing Wallace makes us "better" in terms of ability, but the fact is there's no way to avoid it. Your last sentence also pretty well summarizes what next year is going to be like, and I also don't see any way around that, Wallace or no Wallace. It's just where you end up when you backload and restructure a lot of deals to keep veteran guys around on sizable second and third contracts, and when you haven't drafted well enough the past few years to replace them. This year is going to suck because our hands are pretty much tied, and we've only got an outside shot at winning a championship as currently constructed. I just hope we get most of it over with this year so the cap trouble doesn't linger until Ben is past his prime.

Psycho Ward 86
02-19-2013, 05:21 PM
I just hope we get most of it over with this year so the cap trouble doesn't linger until Ben is past his prime.

this is precisely my greatest fear. that superbowl drought through the 80's, 90's, and all the way up to 2006 felt like a thousand years of darkness

zulater
02-19-2013, 07:09 PM
Here I'll start a rumor now. I have it on bad authority that as many as 3 ex Steelers will sign with the Cardinals before the draft. Max Starks, Ramon Foster, and Rashard Mendenhall.

Psycho Ward 86
02-19-2013, 08:27 PM
Here I'll start a rumor now. I have it on bad authority that as many as 3 ex Steelers will sign with the Cardinals before the draft. Max Starks, Ramon Foster, and Rashard Mendenhall.

only 3? :chuckle: