PDA

View Full Version : Packers Release of Charles Woodson Should Send Message To Steeler Nation

stillers4me
02-16-2013, 02:06 PM
Despite my own personal feelings about the Steelers letting someone like Hines Ward go about a year too soon, the statistics, age, and squeeze play on the roster were evidence enough that the Steelers needed to move on without one of their most beloved and legacy players. The move certainly put other players into the spotlight with the question of ‘Is no one safe?’

The Packers on Friday released one of their best corners to ever grace that franchise. A fifteen year veteran and seven year Green Bay Packer Charles Woodson received his pink slip in a move to open up the roster for a younger, faster and more agile corner for less money. What is surprising about the move right now is that Woodson was still playing great football. An injury saddled Woodson to only playing in seven games in 2012. However, the previous year in 2011 was just one of a string of six seasons (since 2006) where Woodson recorded a large amount of interceptions, pick six’s, and some sacks. Hell, 2008-2011 Woodson was selected to the Pro Bowl. He’s one of the best corners in the league despite being over 35. He’s one of the few players that was able to use his smarts at the position when his body didn’t allow him to keep up with the top receivers. As was the case with Ward, Woodson was the soul of this defense. That you can’t replace with some new guy. Quite frankly, the Packers still needed Woodson.

The ripple effect that is sent throughout the NFL by Woodson’s release should have Steeler Nation begin to look into the mirror................

Read more @ http://nicepickcowher.com/2013/02/16/packers-release-of-charles-woodson-should-send-message-to-steeler-nation/

SteelerEmpire
02-16-2013, 02:51 PM
I think consistently running so close to the salary cap year after year is doing a disservice to the players and team "in a certain way". But you have to do what you have to do. That being said, the front office needs to get this salary cap situation under control asap.

Mojouw
02-16-2013, 06:20 PM
Ummm....Charles Woodson isn't really any good anymore.

Ward stopped being able to get open on his own.

Father time is coming for Troy as well...he remains undefeated.

st33lersguy
02-16-2013, 06:27 PM
It happens, great players get cut due to financial reasons it happens. Heck I remember when Joey Porter got cut and he still had a few years left in him

Craic
02-16-2013, 08:10 PM
It happens, great players get cut due to financial reasons it happens. Heck I remember when Joey Porter got cut and he still had a few years left in him

Yeah, but he got cut as much for his mouth as his wallet.

zulater
02-16-2013, 08:18 PM

And to make room for Harrison.

Craic
02-16-2013, 08:20 PM
And to make room for Harrison.

I don't think that was "why" he was cut, as much as it was "why it was okay to cut him," if that makes any sense?

zulater
02-16-2013, 08:28 PM
I don't think that was "why" he was cut, as much as it was "why it was okay to cut him," if that makes any sense?

It makes sense.

But I think they cut Porter for equal parts money, Harrison, and annoyance factor. If that makes sense? :lol:

Psycho Ward 86
02-16-2013, 08:28 PM

no way. greg lloyd? kevin greene? lambert? having big mouths on your team isnt always bad

zulater
02-16-2013, 08:41 PM
no way. greg lloyd? kevin greene? lambert? having big mouths on your team isnt always bad

They didn't bring the same off the field baggage as Porter.

Steeldude
02-16-2013, 10:45 PM

Bingo.

Also, IMO, he play diminished to the point he was not needed. I was actually hoping Harrison was given the starting job earlier.

- - - Updated - - -

But they knew what they were talking about. Porter was a windbag who wanted to hear himself talk. Saying "Who ride, we ride" is just gibberish. He was an embarrassment. Rarely did Porter's mouth live up to his play on the field

fansince'76
02-16-2013, 10:58 PM
It makes sense.

But I think they cut Porter for equal parts money, Harrison, and annoyance factor. If that makes sense? :lol:

He was also a dyed-in-the-wool "Cowher guy" and spent the better part of 2006 grousing about his salary (http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/cutting-porter-wasnt-easy-steelers-say-474457/). It's very safe to assume that he would have been a headache and a distraction that a then-rookie head coach didn't need.

Although no one on the Steelers would say so, the threat by Porter to hold out last summer played a factor in his release. Team officials did not want to burden new head coach Mike Tomlin with that kind of threat to his authority. Even though Porter was scheduled to make $5 million in the final year of his deal, he was unhappy with his contract and there was a chance he might boycott some of the minicamps and then training camp had he remained with the team.

The way things shook out was a win-win for everybody - Porter got the big payday he wanted from the Dolphins, the Dolphins got a productive player for a few seasons, and Harrison more than filled Porter's shoes for the Steelers.

Craic
02-17-2013, 01:00 AM

It wasn't about his big mouth, it was about his big mouth shooting about his salary, the hiring of the coach, etc. etc.

GodfatherofSoul
02-19-2013, 11:51 AM
I love having at least one mouthy, cocky guy on defense to rally the team. Porter's problem was he wasn't consistent enough to talk as much s**t as he did.