PDA

View Full Version : Nervous Roethlisberger encouraged by fan support

polamalubeast
07-31-2010, 06:49 PM
LATROBE, Pa. — Ben Roethlisberger was so worried that the Pittsburgh Steelers fans who once embraced him would boo him, he couldn't recall being so nervous and apprehensive before a football practice.

What Roethlisberger didn't expect was this: Waves of cheering supporters wearing his No. 7 jersey and knocking over temporary security fences to get the autograph of a player whose vulgar off-field behavior led the NFL to suspend him for six games.

Roethlisberger, so disliked in Pittsburgh a few months ago that he wondered if he'd ever regain a sliver of his previous support, was greeted warmly by an enthusiastic crowd estimated at 10,000 on Saturday at Saint Vincent College. He heard few, if any jeers, and many fans appeared to go out of their way to embrace him.

There were cheers when Roethlisberger and wide receiver Hines Ward arrived on the practice field together, and more when the quarterback found Antwaan Randle El on a pass route.

Pumped up by the response, Roethlisberger couldn't recall throwing a single incompletion during a nearly two-hour practice.

"I was nervous, scared, anxious, a lot of emotions," Roethlisberger said.

read more

http://www.ajc.com/sports/nervous-roethlisberger-encouraged-by-582556.html

SteelerEmpire
07-31-2010, 06:56 PM
Pumped up by the response, Roethlisberger couldn't recall throwing a single incompletion during a nearly two-hour practice.

Kool....

solardave
07-31-2010, 06:59 PM
They showed a little bit of it on NFL network. It was pretty cool seeing him going down the line of fans tapping hands.

steelerdude15
07-31-2010, 07:37 PM
I'm glad to see fans are welcoming him back and forgiving him. I was by his side from the moment this "accusation" came about. Ben is our leader and will be. Welcome back, go get 'em.

black hat
07-31-2010, 07:44 PM

Ben actually threw one incompletion - at the end of practice when he tossed a football into the stands.!The reception by the fans was great, though. I didn't hear a single disparaging word.

ALLD
07-31-2010, 07:53 PM
He left last season as a kid and came back a man.

stillers4me
07-31-2010, 08:02 PM

Post of the year. :drink:

siss
07-31-2010, 08:06 PM

Our babies all growed up and ready to be man...and bring us home ANOTHER Lombardi!

stillers4me
07-31-2010, 09:08 PM
If it had to happen, it was a blessing it happened when it did. Today would have been alot different if the incident had only happened a month ago. People have had time to cool off, think rationally and realize how important he is to the team. And remember that he is only human.

wootawnee
07-31-2010, 09:37 PM

Amen Brother.....

Killer
07-31-2010, 10:35 PM
3-1 before Ben

10-2 after

= 13-3

------------

eventually playing the Cowboyz in their home SB ballpark - and winning

that's my season perdiction

The Duke
08-01-2010, 12:55 AM
I'm glad

Now go get us #7 ben!

Mach1
08-01-2010, 01:47 AM
Winning cures almost anything.

I just hope he's finally learned something.

stillers4me
08-01-2010, 06:33 AM
Steeler fans greet Roethlisberger warmly
Big Ben breathes sigh of relief at practice

Sunday, August 01, 2010
By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/images/201007/freed_steelers073110_9_500.jpg
Matt Freed/Post-Gazette
Steelers fans line up to watch their team during the first day of training camp in Latrobe Saturday.

At 8:48 a.m., Ben Roethlisberger started down the paved path to the practice field at Saint Vincent College in Latrobe, ready to begin his first official practice in a season that continues to tumble toward uncertainty for the two-time Super Bowl-winning quarterback. It was much different than the entrance he would make six hours later.
There were no spectators lining the walkway or the practice field when he walked with backup quarterback Charlie Batch in the morning, no fans sitting in the metal stands at Chuck Noll Field. His procession to the field was largely unnoticed and totally without fanfare. The only sounds were those of birds chirping in the light morning sun.
But, at 2:43 p.m., the atmosphere was much different.
This time, when Mr. Roethlisberger made the same walk down the same

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10213/1076808-66.stm#ixzz0vLwmhJNM

Galax Steeler
08-01-2010, 07:07 AM
This is the way it should be gotta give the man some support way to go Steeler fans.

SMR
08-01-2010, 07:52 AM
LATROBE, Pa. — Ben Roethlisberger was so worried that the Pittsburgh Steelers fans who once embraced him would boo him, he couldn't recall being so nervous and apprehensive before a football practice.

What Roethlisberger didn't expect was this: Waves of cheering supporters wearing his No. 7 jersey and knocking over temporary security fences to get the autograph of a player whose vulgar off-field behavior led the NFL to suspend him for six games.

Roethlisberger, so disliked in Pittsburgh a few months ago that he wondered if he'd ever regain a sliver of his previous support, was greeted warmly by an enthusiastic crowd estimated at 10,000 on Saturday at Saint Vincent College. He heard few, if any jeers, and many fans appeared to go out of their way to embrace him.

There were cheers when Roethlisberger and wide receiver Hines Ward arrived on the practice field together, and more when the quarterback found Antwaan Randle El on a pass route.

"I was nervous, scared, anxious, a lot of emotions," Roethlisberger said.

read more

Kudos to you for posting this great article!

Kittyfish
08-01-2010, 08:03 AM

This.

If it had to happen, it was a blessing it happened when it did. Today would have been alot different if the incident had only happened a month ago. People have had time to cool off, think rationally and realize how important he is to the team. And remember that he is only human.

And this.

Winning cures almost anything.

I just hope he's finally learned something.

And some of that there.

My aunt sent me the article this morning and I was so glad to see that (most) of the fans gave Ben a warm welcome. I would have liked to have been there myself, had it been possible but it's nice so many others showed up on my behalf. :-D I knew he was worried, and had every right to be, what with the media pile-on to which he's been subjected. As I told my aunt, maybe Ben's actions weren't the smartest or the nicest but I refuse to believe Ben is some kind of serial sex offender the way some media has portrayed him to be. Immature, yes; stupid, yes; evil, no. I do hope that Ben truly has learned something and has grown through these bad experiences; otherwise all of this trouble and angst was wasted and all the team and the fans were put through was for nothing. I sincerely hope Ben becomes the man I think he can be, and continues to be the quarterback I KNOW he can be, and brings us number 7! (to match his jersey)

kmsteelerwr15
08-01-2010, 02:14 PM
Glad to hear he is getting a warm reception. I personally think having all of us fans on his side will really help him out.

SMR
08-01-2010, 07:02 PM
Glad to hear he is getting a warm reception. I personally think having all of us fans on his side will really help him out.

Tell that to Florio and the haters.

steeldevil
08-01-2010, 07:05 PM
Good to see he is being greeted the way he should be.