PDA

View Full Version : James Harrison won't take pay cut to stay with Steelers

Shoes
02-12-2013, 01:45 PM
James Harrison (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/665/james-harrison)
is willing to work with the Steelers to lower his salary cap number, but he’s not willing to take a pay cut just to stay with the team that drafted him and developed him.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/02/12/james-harrison-wont-take-pay-cut-to-stay-with-steelers/

st33lersguy
02-12-2013, 01:47 PM
Then it is a likely good bye to Harrison

Shoes
02-12-2013, 01:50 PM
Sorry for the double post. Ike thinks he'll be back.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000138434/article/james-harrison-wont-take-pittsburgh-steelers-pay-cut

Psycho Ward 86
02-12-2013, 01:56 PM
hopefully worilds can step up from his backup role where he still played significant snaps and turn into yet another top notch linebacker in the steelers history. harrison, if you leave, thank you for your service. we greatly appreciate the things you did for us and we wont soon forget.

zulater
02-12-2013, 02:31 PM
hopefully worilds can step up from his backup role where he still played significant snaps and turn into yet another top notch linebacker in the steelers history. harrison, if you leave, thank you for your service. we greatly appreciate the things you did for us and we wont soon forget.

Worildis can't play ROLB. Virtually all of his production throughout his career has been at LOLB where you're often matched up against a back or tight end as opposed to the left tackle you see when you play ROLB..

They need to draft Harrison's replacement with an early pick if they release him.

I'm still not buying that he's leaving yet though. The article linked in this thread is from Profootballtalk.com which puts the most negative spin on the story every time. From the PTribune review's piece if you read it it's obvious that no door has been closed yet on Harrison.

Rule #1 in life, don't ever take anything an agent or lawyer says literally.

86WARD
02-12-2013, 02:36 PM
A lot of times people assume that a contract restructure us the same as a "pay cut." The steelers could restructure Harrison's deal where he's not losing any money and the team will benefit from it. It doesn't have to be a "pay cut." A lot of players restructure and take a "pay cut" but it's really not. Most don't actually agree to an actual pay cut. It's just monies allocated different ways. Player still gets paid the same.

bayz101
02-12-2013, 02:42 PM
Steelers didn't draft Harrison, lol.

Craic
02-12-2013, 04:17 PM
Why do I have a feeling this is going to end up like the Center position a few years ago.

We go from having a string of All-pro dominant centers to journeymen at best, and suffer through two seasons with that before finding a gem in the draft. Now, we go from Kevin Green to Gildon to Porter to Harrison to . . . who? No one has his dominance.

Sigh.

ALLD
02-12-2013, 04:26 PM
Where is Alonzo Jackson when you need him.

SteelerEmpire
02-12-2013, 05:05 PM
Then it looks like Te'o time !

zulater
02-12-2013, 05:18 PM

Different position.

Psycho Ward 86
02-12-2013, 07:06 PM
The steelers could restructure Harrison's deal where he's not losing any money and the team will benefit from it.

lol

tube517
02-12-2013, 07:15 PM
Where is Alonzo Jackson when you need him.

Bruce Davis

Craic
02-12-2013, 07:24 PM
I'll tell you all this much - Kuhn would have taken the cut! He would have taken it and liked it, then gone out in Harrison's place and lit up the field playing OLB. It's a shame we didn't keep him. He could've been an Iron man and played FB and OLB - and even coached the positions.

Fire the coaches. What a bad decision.

Shoes
02-12-2013, 07:51 PM
Worildis can't play ROLB. Virtually all of his production throughout his career has been at LOLB where you're often matched up against a back or tight end as opposed to the left tackle you see when you play ROLB..

They need to draft Harrison's replacement with an early pick if they release him.

I'm still not buying that he's leaving yet though. The article linked in this thread is from Profootballtalk.com which puts the most negative spin on the story every time. From the PTribune review's piece if you read it it's obvious that no door has been closed yet on Harrison.

Rule #1 in life, don't ever take anything an agent or lawyer says literally.

Does that include Art II? :chuckle:

cold-hard-steel
02-12-2013, 09:17 PM
Take the cut or move on. That's how it is. Be like Franco and refuse the cut , or go to Seatle. It is about the team and where you excell in the needs that they require. Harrision has had his moments,but so did many others before him. Take the cut or hang em up big guy. Go out on a high note,or sign with Cleveland . Sup to him.

st33lersguy
02-12-2013, 11:07 PM
At this stage in his career, a 35 year old injury prone player who can't really be relied upon to play 16 games anymore, he is not worth 6.5 million dollars. Move on and draft his replacement in the first 2 rounds in April

Steeldude
02-12-2013, 11:45 PM
At this stage in his career, a 35 year old injury prone player who can't really be relied upon to play 16 games anymore, he is not worth 6.5 million dollars. Move on and draft his replacement in the first 2 rounds in April

Yet he is worth more than the other OLBs on the team. They will need to find his replacement. Those are big shows that need to be filled.

86WARD
02-13-2013, 06:14 AM
lol

Funny cause its true. It's actually more rare that a contract restructure results in a pay cut. Most of the time its just the semantics of shifting base salary into signing-bonus money or easily achievable incentives to help a team's salary cap. These restructures generally give the players the same amount they were supposed to make in the first place. They like to say the player took a "pay cut" because his base salary might have decreased but they load it up with signing bonus and incentives.

zulater
02-13-2013, 09:48 AM
Yet he is worth more than the other OLBs on the team. They will need to find his replacement. Those are big shows that need to be filled.

These people don't seem to realize the difference between playing ROLB and LOLB. They see Worldis and his 5 sacks last season and think you can just plug him in in place of Harrison and you'll see the same production.

You know and I know that's not going to happen. The Steelers don't have a player on their roster that can fill the shoes of even a diminished Harrison. The defense noticably improved after he came back into the lineup, even though I think it can be safely said he wasn't playing even close to 100%. As the season progressed so did Harrison's play as evidenced by the fact that he had 6 sacks and forced 2 fumbles in the last 7 games. Project those final 7 games over a full season and you're looking at 13 sacks and 4.5 forced fumbles.

I get that the Harrison we saw from 07-10 isn't coming back. But he's still a damn good player. And if he comes into the season healthy next season who's to say he doesn't have one monster season left in him?

Imagine that Harrison comes back and is 90-95% of his old self, but in a different uniform. How do you think all these people clamoring for cap relief ( with dollars that don't even come out of their pocket) are going to be feeling then? Say James goes to Cincy and put's up 14 sacks everyone going to be saying, glad we saved that 6 million?

I just hope the Steelers are smarter than the press and many of their fans. Because you take James Harrison out of that defense next season and you better be able to score 30 points a week offensively more often than not. Exxageration or stretch on my part? Not really when you consider that in the 3 games James Harrison missed, twice the Steelers gave up over 30 points. That only happened once more after Harrison came back into the lineup.

Just coincidental I suppose?

Not really.

SteelerFanInStl
02-13-2013, 10:29 AM
I'm with you Zu. Unless if we're willing to give up the season, James needs to be back.

cold-hard-steel
02-13-2013, 10:37 AM
I think if you are any kind of a Steeler fan , you know the road James traveled .We all know what he accomplished and how far he came to get to where he is today . I don't know what road you know about that goes on forever . Well we won't go there. But you have to realize that to stay in the "competing mode" you just have to go with youth. Kind of think about tomorrow today sort of thing. Just sayin.

XxKnightxX
02-13-2013, 11:47 AM
James Harrison (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/665/james-harrison)
is willing to work with the Steelers to lower his salary cap number, but he’s not willing to take a pay cut just to stay with the team that drafted him and developed him.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/02/12/james-harrison-wont-take-pay-cut-to-stay-with-steelers/

James Harrison was never drafted. How fucking hard is it to google someones name nowadays. Jesus Christ .

Anyway, I'm willing to move on, he can still play, but not at that price with the risk of injury and shitty leaner backups. Notice how the ball gets run more towards the right rather than the left as well when Harrisons on the field. He's a force to stil be reckoned with, but I think we need to find a replacement, and Lebeau needs to temporarily let the players just play basic defense then move on to more complex systems.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

Psycho Ward 86
02-13-2013, 11:54 AM
Funny cause its true. It's actually more rare that a contract restructure results in a pay cut. Most of the time its just the semantics of shifting base salary into signing-bonus money or easily achievable incentives to help a team's salary cap. These restructures generally give the players the same amount they were supposed to make in the first place. They like to say the player took a "pay cut" because his base salary might have decreased but they load it up with signing bonus and incentives.

uh duly noted. but i was laughing at the fact that you said the steelers could restructure Harrison's deal where he's not losing any money and THE TEAM will benefit from it. Thats just....no

steelreserve
02-13-2013, 04:14 PM
Harrison is the one guy with a $10M cap hit who I'd say is worth every penny. It was night and day how the defense performed with him out versus when he was in.

Psycho Ward 86
02-13-2013, 04:27 PM
I think if you are any kind of a Steeler fan , you know the road James traveled .We all know what he accomplished and how far he came to get to where he is today . I don't know what road you know about that goes on forever . Well we won't go there. But you have to realize that to stay in the "competing mode" you just have to go with youth. Kind of think about tomorrow today sort of thing. Just sayin.

sounds contradictory to what you always preach about casey hampton

zulater
02-13-2013, 05:31 PM

If there was a ROLB equivilent of Steve McLendon on the roster maybe he'd feel the same with Harrison?

zulater
02-13-2013, 06:28 PM

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/64826_475398575842435_1366161791_n.jpg

Yes it does! :lol:

7willBheaven
02-13-2013, 08:00 PM
Agent Speak at its finest!

cold-hard-steel
02-13-2013, 08:16 PM

Yeah i preach about casey. If the cost is right. Good back-up ta have. Least you listen or read the so called preaching you talk of. Now let others have their opinions. If this was not a forum about opinions i would keep mine to myself.

zulater
02-17-2013, 10:15 AM
Much of the speculation has centered around linebacker James Harrison. Will he agree to a pay cut or a restructuring of his contract? If he doesn't, will the Steelers release him to save precious money under the NFL salary cap?
The Steelers need Harrison. He missed the first three games last season after knee surgery and took a long time to get into playing shape. But by the end of the season, he was playing good football. He was the same disruptive force he used to be on a defense that, despite impressive statistics, badly needed one.
Harrison will turn 35 in May, but that's not as much of an issue with him as it is with other players. He is the Steelers' hardest worker. He trains maniacally. Unlike last year, he will get in all of the off-season work. He will be ready to go when training camp opens in July. He should have a big season.
It's not as if Jason Worilds can step in and take Harrison's place. He's a good pass rusher and had five sacks as a part-time starter last season, but there is more to the outside linebacker position than that. Steelers linebacker Larry Foote often talked of how Harrison "pushed back the line of scrimmage" on running plays, especially later in the season. Worilds doesn't appear to have the size or power to do that.
Memo to Colbert:
Keep Harrison.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/ron-cook/cook-its-time-for-lamarr-woodley-to-focus-on-football-675736/#ixzz2LApL9b8h

Pristas
02-17-2013, 03:41 PM
Harrison probably has a couple more good years left in the tank. The apathetic Woodley may already be done. What is a greater risk? Sticking with a guy who has battled back from injury and has always made a difference when healthy or a guy who has disappeared over the last two seasons via poor conditioning? I'd restructure Woodley, make him take a pay cut. Laziness should never be tolerated at this level. You are either an athlete or you are not. There's no taking time off when your window is less than 10 years.

cold-hard-steel
02-21-2013, 09:29 PM
Well ya just can not cut all of it out. Steelers have turned soft kind of . Never in all my natural born days would i ever spect ta see that. I will be dab blane !

Psycho Ward 86
02-21-2013, 09:41 PM
Harrison probably has a couple more good years left in the tank. The apathetic Woodley may already be done. What is a greater risk? Sticking with a guy who has battled back from injury and has always made a difference when healthy or a guy who has disappeared over the last two seasons via poor conditioning? I'd restructure Woodley, make him take a pay cut. Laziness should never be tolerated at this level. You are either an athlete or you are not. There's no taking time off when your window is less than 10 years.

why on earth would you restructure woodley again? to make the cap situation even worse? he can take the biggest pay cut in the league, thats for sure