PDA

View Full Version : Brown working hard, ready to lead

fansince'76
02-12-2013, 10:19 AM
By Teresa Varley | Steelers.com

On a bitter cold winter morning, with temperatures hovering in the single digits and most people not wanting to venture outside the comfort of home, receiver Antonio Brown was at the Steelers’ practice facility on the South Side.

With no required workouts until OTAs begin in the spring, Brown didn’t have to be there. He could have easily stayed home, and stayed warm. But instead he stayed on course, as he has done since the season ended, working out on his own either at the team’s facility or elsewhere.

“The battle is ongoing. It’s never ending,” said Brown. “I have taken a break as far as pounding my body, but you have to keep the cardio up, which keeps my strength up.”

Read more: Brown working hard, ready to lead (http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Brown-working-hard-ready-to-lead/c217e57f-8d0a-4f0d-b682-58b057ed5a2f)

GodfatherofSoul
02-12-2013, 11:31 AM
I'm sure his off season workout blows away any on season workout I've ever gone through.

Shoes
02-12-2013, 01:38 PM
Good for Brown...

Psycho Ward 86
02-12-2013, 01:58 PM
good. pressure is on him with wallace probably leaving and the uncertainty of heath's health.

Craic
02-12-2013, 02:25 PM
I really like the balanced approach he's taking. Work on cardio, make sure sure he doesn't lose anything there, but not really hit the weights or hard pounding on the body for a while. Give it time to heal and rest.

That sounds like a pretty smart routine.

I also couldn't help but think about Hines Ward as I read it. We've really struck gold with this kid. I hope he and Sanders can put together some really good years - something worthy of the Bradshaw, Swan, Stallworth level of respect in this organization.

Seven
02-13-2013, 02:39 AM
I really like the balanced approach he's taking. Work on cardio, make sure sure he doesn't lose anything there, but not really hit the weights or hard pounding on the body for a while. Give it time to heal and rest.

That sounds like a pretty smart routine.

These guys must really know what they're doing. Either that or be able to pile on the mass quickly. Cause I'd be terrified to drop the weights for an almost exclusively cardio routine. I'm sure Brown knows what he's doing and they probably have an entire staff of advisors for that stuff but wouldn't you be worried you'd need to bulk like nuts to get back to where you were after taking a timeout like most of these players do in the off-season? This applies to all players, not just Brown. It's always fascinated me that so many of these guys let go for weeks at a time in the off-season when they know they will have to pick it back up once OTAs roll around. I realize they need to give their bodies a break but hell I would think it would be easier to just keep getting after it instead haha.

Craic
02-13-2013, 03:40 AM
These guys must really know what they're doing. Either that or be able to pile on the mass quickly. Cause I'd be terrified to drop the weights for an almost exclusively cardio routine. I'm sure Brown knows what he's doing and they probably have an entire staff of advisors for that stuff but wouldn't you be worried you'd need to bulk like nuts to get back to where you were after taking a timeout like most of these players do in the off-season? This applies to all players, not just Brown. It's always fascinated me that so many of these guys let go for weeks at a time in the off-season when they know they will have to pick it back up once OTAs roll around. I realize they need to give their bodies a break but hell I would think it would be easier to just keep getting after it instead haha.

To a point yeah, these guys can't let it go without problems. However, the article said he was doing light weights. His light weights is probably me on a good day, fifteen years ago.

As far as the body needing a break, the punishment they go through, the body most definitely needs a break. The muscles will actually respond better as well. I think they'd end up with even more bulk if they took a month of so off before getting back into the gym, and then spent the next month getting back to the level they were at before trying to add anything new. JMO.

Austin87
02-13-2013, 03:41 AM
I like the commitment from Brown. We need more players like him.