PDA

View Full Version : Harris: Cheaper to keep Steelers’ Harrison

Galax Steeler
02-12-2013, 04:25 AM
Steelers linebacker James Harrison is willing to restructure his contract. Smart man.

Harrison won't take a pay cut, however, and that stubborn streak could make him an ex-Steeler.

Harrison is scheduled to earn $6.57 million in 2013 and $7.57 million in '14. That's a big salary-cap number for a pass-rusher who turns 35 in May, is coming off knee surgery a year ago and is two years removed from two back surgeries.

Harrison may be banged up, but it's shortsighted to label him old. He's better than most of the young linebackers on the roster, who can't beat him out. He's still good when he isn't playing every down, but the Steelers aren't paying him all that money to be a part-time player.

Which brings us back where we started. Are the Steelers better off with Harrison on their payroll, even in a more limited role, at a fraction of his salary? Yes, they are. To believe otherwise is delusional.

Who on the Steelers' roster is better than Harrison at right outside linebacker? Jason Worilds? He's 10 years younger than Harrison, but an even bigger injury risk. Chris Carter? No, not the Cris Carter who just made the Pro Football Hall of Fame as a wide receiver.

“I don't think anybody would argue at the end of the season that James Harrison was the best linebacker the Steelers had,” said agent Bill Parise, who represents Harrison.

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/johnharris/3462343-74/harrison-steelers-dejankovacevic#ixzz2KgAhba1e
Follow us: @triblive on Twitter | triblive on Facebook

zulater
02-12-2013, 05:19 AM
I keep reading on different web sites how Harrison is going to be released. I don't buy it for a second. He was indeed their best OLB last season, and as the season progressed his play got better. But even more to the point, when given the chance both Chris Carter and Jason Worldidis looked absolutely worthless when given the chance to play ROLB. Yeah I know Worldidis has looked decent at times at LOLB. But it's a different world at ROLB where you go up against the other teams best OT snap after snap. Quite frankly the Steelers have no choice but to bring Harrison back, that is if they want to compete for anything worthwhile in 2013. And seeing as I don't see the Steelers looking at this as a rebuilding year I'd be shocked if he's not in the plans for this season.

If you're looking for a shock value veteran release Keisel would be far more likely than Harrison. Nothing against Keisel but with Cam Heyward standing in the wings there would at least be a safety net there.

steeldawg
02-12-2013, 05:32 AM
I dont know harrison had 70 tackles 6 sacks and on many plays was not a factor last season. His pass rush has greatly diminshed due to age and injury, and he is a high injury risk. I would rather see him go now because even if he restructures he will be gone next season, so if we are going to rebuild then we might as well use a young guy in that spot.

zulater
02-12-2013, 06:51 AM
I dont know harrison had 70 tackles 6 sacks and on many plays was not a factor last season. His pass rush has greatly diminshed due to age and injury, and he is a high injury risk. I would rather see him go now because even if he restructures he will be gone next season, so if we are going to rebuild then we might as well use a young guy in that spot.

Two things.

1. Harrison started out the season slow due to his recovery from knee surgery. In the last 7 games of the season Harrison had 6 sacks and forced 2 fumbles while averaging 7 tackles per game.

2. Chris Carter and Jason Worlidis can't play ROLB worth a shit!

The sacks Worldis has accrued over the last couple season have almost exclusivley come at LOLB, where you often go unblocked or are matced up against a rb or TE. At ROLB where you usually are matched up on the other teams best OT, he's Claude Raines, the invisible man. Not only does he do nothing as a pass rusher on the right side, he's worse at holding the edge and containing the running game.

Chris Carter is even worse. Much worse in fact.

Even when Harrison was struggling to get his game back he was still holding the edge, like the ROLB is required to do in LeBeau's defense.

Now they may very well go and draft Harrison's replacement is this years draft. But no rookie is coming into LeBeau's defense at that posistion and doing the job at a high enough level this year to keep the defense where you'll need it to be if you're going to compete for anything worthwhile in 2013.

So if you want to view 2013 as a throwaway season, then fine cut James Harrison. But if you want to take advantage of Big Ben's diminishing window then you better not get rid of this guy for at least one more year.

bayz101
02-12-2013, 07:05 AM
Harrison clearly said last year he wouldn't be 100% all year. He STILL made big plays last year late in the season, and I have a feeling a 100% healthy Harrison is worth keeping around.

tube517
02-12-2013, 09:49 AM
He got better as the season progressd. I hope he comes back. I think he can be productive next year.

dislocatedday
02-12-2013, 10:11 AM
I'd like for him to be on the roster next year too, but the fact is the Steelers are going to have to clear significant space from the salary cap. I just don't see anyway they can keep Harrison if the cap numbers I saw were correct. I also don't want to see the Steelers keep restructuring player contracts and pushing money into later years that will only compund the problem more down the line. I'd rather the team bite the bullet now and start moving forward, even if it hurts in the short term.

zulater
02-12-2013, 10:22 AM
I'd like for him to be on the roster next year too, but the fact is the Steelers are going to have to clear significant space from the salary cap. I just don't see anyway they can keep Harrison if the cap numbers I saw were correct. I also don't want to see the Steelers keep restructuring player contracts and pushing money into later years that will only compund the problem more down the line. I'd rather the team bite the bullet now and start moving forward, even if it hurts in the short term.

So blow it up now and concentrate on having a legitimate contender in 2014 with a 33 year old quarterback who probably doesn't want to be there anymore after 3 straight non playoff years?

We'll just go shake the qb tree and get another franchise qb for our rebuilding project perhaps? Because you know it's just so easy to get that sort of qb. I mean look, the Broncos lose elway it's only a decade later they get a suitable replacement. And hey the Dolphins might already have that Marino replacement ready to go too.

Easy deal getting these franchise qb's. No reason at all to try to maximize Ben's window. :sarcasm:

- - - Updated - - -

It would make more sense cutting Troy Polamalu and Ike Taylor ( assuming you resign Keenan Lewis) for cap purposes than Harrison if you want to contend next season.

zulater
02-12-2013, 10:50 AM
Let me try to give you guys an idea of Harrison's true value to this team. 3 times last season the Steelers gave up over 30 points. Two of those games were games that Harrison missed. (he played 13 total)

Also keep in mind how poorly a great athlete like Lawrence Timmons played when they tried to put him out there at ROLB for a few games Harrison missed in 2011.

It's a very demanding position in LeBeau's defense. You can't just put in anyone and expect results.

Starting in 1989 with the exception of 1999, the Steelers starting ROLB has been either Gregg Lloyd, Joey Porter, or James Harrison.

We have no idea what will happen if we play a below average player over there for the course of a season? Given the way Harrison finished 2012 ( 6 sacks in the last 7 games) is that really a gamble you want to take.

Yes we have to save money, but look elsewhere.

dislocatedday
02-12-2013, 10:55 AM
So blow it up now and concentrate on having a legitimate contender in 2014 with a 33 year old quarterback who probably doesn't want to be there anymore after 3 straight non playoff years?

We'll just go shake the qb tree and get another franchise qb for our rebuilding project perhaps? Because you know it's just so easy to get that sort of qb. I mean look, the Broncos lose elway it's only a decade later they get a suitable replacement. And hey the Dolphins might already have that Marino replacement ready to go too.

Easy deal getting these franchise qb's. No reason at all to try to maximize Ben's window. :sarcasm:

- - - Updated - - -

It would make more sense cutting Troy Polamalu and Ike Taylor ( assuming you resign Keenan Lewis) for cap purposes than Harrison if you want to contend next season.

I'm not saying "blow up" the whole team, but the reality is they have to cut some players with significant salaries, and Harrison looks to be the most likely at 35 years old with an injury history the last two seasons and a huge cap hit. The loss of Harrison will likely hurt in the short term, but I see no reason the team can't be competitive without him, particularly if the oline can stay healthy and the offense can finally start scoring some more points per game.

The team was not getting blown out last year week in and week out, even with Harrison and other key players out of the lineup. Except for the San Diego game, with the games they lost they were in every one of them with a chance to win I believe until very late. From what I saw, it was the little things that cost them victories last year (turnovers, dropped balls, poor special teams play), as well as Ben not being the same after his return from injury.

Of course I want the Steelers to maximize their opportunities while Ben is here, but the reality is they can't keep everybody, particularly this offseason. Harrison seems like the most likely casualty to me.

zulater
02-12-2013, 11:17 AM
Bob Labriola over at Steelers Digest usually has a pretty good idea where players stand from the Steelers perspective. Over the years that I've subscribed to that periodical I've found the end of season synopsis a pretty accurate barometer as to how the Steelers view a players future with the team. Often they'll point out things as specific as how much weight a player might consider losing if he wants to be an important part of the teams plans going forward, how a player might need to study harder, or play with more focus etc.... In other words Steelers Digest is the Steelers Pravda, what they want to go into it is what gets printed.

And here's what they said about James Harrison in the end of year edition.

"How to fit Harrison under the cap is a job that needs doing, because he remains a neccessary component of the defense. He should be better off for having an offseason without the couple of back surgeries he endured last year, and even though he was coming off that plus a knee procedure done late in the preseason Harrison tied for the team lead in sacks. One more year."

dislocatedday
02-12-2013, 01:08 PM
There is one way I could see the Steelers clearing a huge chunk of cap room this year that might not hamper their cap long-term, and also allow them to more easily keep Harrison and others. That would be to go ahead and extend Ben's contract now and include a huge signing bonus that takes almost all his salary from this year (around $14.5 million I think) and moves it into a new signing bonus that gets pro-rated over the life of the contract.

Psycho Ward 86
02-12-2013, 02:01 PM
im not sure where i stand on him staying or leaving but the mention in the article about him being smart to be willing to restructure is completely insignificant. if we dig our cap situation into any deeper of a whole for years in the near future, any shot we thought we had at another title will be gone. And ben with it.

id like to see him at least get traded if we dont want him anymore, which is unlikely as hell but hopefully one of the other 31 teams are dopey enough to do it