PDA

View Full Version : Hines Ward unlikely to replace Steelers WRs coach Montgomery

Count Steeler
02-09-2013, 06:20 PM
Former Pittsburgh Steelers wide receivers coach Scottie Montgomery has left coach Mike Tomlin's staff to accept a position as the co-offensive coordinator at Duke University, his alma mater, the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reported.

As the Steelers search for a replacement for Montgomery, it's unlikely that Hines Ward will consider the position. When asked in March if he wanted to pursue a coaching career, Ward said he would accept a job at the University of Georgia before he returned to the Steelers.

“I think I have a lot to give back to my alma mater and I want to see Georgia win a national championship,” Ward told Georgiadogs.com. “I always said that if I ever wanted to coach this would probably be the first place I would like to do that.”

It also is not known how Montgomery's departure could impact Mike Wallace's return to the Steelers. Wallace, a free agent, maintained a close rapport with Montgomery during the assistant's three seasons in Pittsburgh.

Montgomery is one of only three Duke receivers to have three straight seasons with at least 50 receptions and 600 receiving yards. He also spent three seasons with the Broncos (2000-02) after originally signing with the Panthers as an undrafted free agent in 2000.

Wallace signed a one-year, $2.7 million contract in August after a prolonged holdout. He could command a long-term deal similar to the five-year, $55.5 million contract Buccaneers wide receiver Vincent Jackson signed last year.

story @ http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/nfl-rapidreports/21675590/hines-ward-unlikely-to-replace-steelers-wrs-coach-montgomery

Heinz Hitman
02-09-2013, 06:50 PM
Well, we can all dream, anyways. At least until Hines comes out and says "no thanks". I believe he would have ideally wanted to get some coaching experience at Georgia first and then come to the NFL, thinking that there wouldn't be an opening like this until later on. But now that we have the perfect job opening for him, he may rethink things a bit? Crossing my fingers....

SteelerEmpire
02-09-2013, 07:03 PM
Ward would have job security off the charts if he came back to the Steelers as a coach. He could move up the ranks to the front office pretty easily if he wanted. I think he should take it into consideration.

SteelerFanInStl
02-10-2013, 10:23 AM
I think that Hines has a lot of other things on his plate right now. He'll eventually be back in the NFL as a coach but I don't think that he's in a big hurry to do that.

steelerdude15
02-10-2013, 08:27 PM
Hines won't be back. I just don't see it happening. I'm sure the Steelers will hire someone none of us have ever heard of from another NFL team.

steelreserve
02-10-2013, 08:29 PM
Hines won't be back. I just don't see it happening. I'm sure the Steelers will hire someone none of us have ever heard of from another NFL team.

That pretty much nailed it.

st33lersguy
02-10-2013, 08:50 PM
There is a lot of other stuff Hines wants to do. He has tried a boat load of new things and I think he wants to try more

steelerdude15
02-10-2013, 08:55 PM
There is a lot of other stuff Hines wants to do. He has tried a boat load of new things and I think he wants to try more

Can't blame him, I would too. Why not go out and try new things.

NCSteeler
02-10-2013, 09:02 PM

But of course they will have had a stint at William and Mary or the bucs