PDA

View Full Version : 2013 Spring Training Thread

Boh
02-09-2013, 12:51 AM
After the incredible season my Orioles had last season, im looking forward to this season big time. Im hoping to see the Pirates become competitive again too.

cant wait!

X-Terminator
02-09-2013, 10:33 PM
Let's see...

2010: 57-105
2011: 72-90
2012: 79-83
2013: 70-92

Sorry, but I see the Bucs taking a big step back, Hurdle and Huntington finally getting their long-overdue pink slips.

Boh
02-13-2013, 10:03 PM
good read for the bucs fans

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/fantasy-roto-arcade/pressing-questions-pittsburgh-pirates-180016214--fantasy.html

X-Terminator
02-14-2013, 04:51 AM
That's not a good read, that is just confirmation on how royally fucked this franchise is. Thanks for posting anyway.

steeldevil
02-22-2013, 07:36 AM
Ready for baseball. A guy that I grew up with in Pinehurst, NC is at Cardinals training camp. It would be amazing if he actually gets to the majors and its with my favorite club the Cardinals.

X-Terminator
02-23-2013, 01:42 PM
Speaking of the Cardinals, why hasn't Chris Carpenter retired yet? He's been put on the 60-day DL and won't pitch this season with the cervical spine and shoulder problem. The guy had a great career, but he's DONE. It makes no sense for him to try to continue his career with that kind of injury at his age.

Boh
02-26-2013, 10:54 PM
O's Pirates game was rained out today :(

steelerdude15
03-06-2013, 11:21 AM
Pirates notebook: Cole struts stuff, but can he stick?

BRADENTON, Fla. — Gerrit Cole will face far greater challenges in his career than the lineup of Spain's World Baseball Classic entry, which probably matched up at a Double-A level. But the Pirates' top prospect seemed to take it seriously, anyway.

He struck out the first six batters he faced.

He struck out the first two on seven pitches.

He struck out the third with a fastball so overwhelming that Rafael Alvarez's bat wound up in the seats.

In all, Cole tossed three scoreless innings with two singles and a walk in the 10-0 shutout of Spain on Tuesday at McKechnie Field.

Something to prove?

“I just treated it like every other start, tried to nail the delivery in the bullpen and take it out to the game,” Cole said. “I wanted to be aggressive.”

To this point in the spring, Cole has been charged with one run and has seven strikeouts over five innings. But it would appear he's just warming up. In his first outing Feb. 27, radar guns tapped his fastball at 91 mph to 92 mph. On Tuesday, it was 94 mph to 97 mph, closer to the norm.

Cole, of course, is capable of triple-digits.

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/pirates/3591940-74/cole-sanchez-spring#ixzz2MmUbSMu3

I honestly believe that Cole will be scary as Hell when he becomes a Pirate. I cannot wait for him to become a starting pitcher for this team. I think he's going to be really good. I've had high hopes for him ever since he was drafted and a friend of mine who played college baseball as well told me he was really good.

steelpride12
03-20-2013, 12:28 PM
New news that's not interesting: Pirates pick up an almost 40 year old grandpa from the Diamondbacks.

X-Terminator
03-20-2013, 03:24 PM
New news that's not interesting: Pirates pick up an almost 40 year old grandpa from the Diamondbacks.

Chase d'Arnaud had thumb surgery that will keep him out for almost 2 months, so that's why they made the move. McDonald was picked up for his glove - better defensive player than either Mercer or Harrison, and he can play short, 2nd or 3rd. Not a bad guy to have on the bench who can be brought in late in games as a defensive replacement. I don't mind this move.

steelerdude15
03-20-2013, 05:09 PM
XT, you're actually agreeing with a move the Pirates made? :wink02: :chuckle:

X-Terminator
03-20-2013, 05:29 PM
XT, you're actually agreeing with a move the Pirates made? :wink02: :chuckle:

Yeah I know. The stars must be aligned correctly or something. :wink02: But seriously, the move makes baseball sense if you think about it realistically. Now if he ends up being more than a short-term fill-in and d'Arnaud doesn't get his shot when he comes back, then I will bitch.