PDA

View Full Version : Scottie Montgomery leaving!

Bluecoat96
02-08-2013, 08:03 AM
He's going to take over the OC duties at Duke. Who would be a good replacement?

Ed Bouchette‏@EdBouchette@steelers (http://www.steelersuniverse.com/steelers) looking for yet another assistant coach. WR coach Scottie Montgomery taking OC job with Duke.

Mods, can you fix the title to "Scottie"? I can't believe I spelled it wrong!

X-Terminator
02-08-2013, 08:39 AM
Title edited. :)

Ya know, with all of these coaches leaving, I'm starting to wonder if they're abandoning ship more than pursuing better opportunities, because I think he is the 4th coach to leave the team in the past 3 months (I included Kugler even though he accepted his position in November). That is a lot of turnover in one offseason. The only guy who didn't leave was the one guy I thought might, and that's Todd Haley.

Bluecoat96
02-08-2013, 08:44 AM
Meh....if we have another mediocre season next year, then I'll worry. I think it's more of a case of certain perfect scenarios being presented to these coaches. Montgomery may simply feel a good bit more loyal to his alma mater at Duke, and jumped at the chance to be back there. Same with Kugler. OC/Head coach has to be more enticing than position coach, even if it's in the NFL. More pay as well?

X-Terminator
02-08-2013, 08:49 AM
Meh....if we have another mediocre season next year, then I'll worry. I think it's more of a case of certain perfect scenarios being presented to these coaches. Montgomery may simply feel a good bit more loyal to his alma mater at Duke, and jumped at the chance to be back there. Same with Kugler. OC/Head coach has to be more enticing than position coach, even if it's in the NFL. More pay as well?

You're more than likely correct, but I can't help but think that. Last season was a disaster on so many fronts, from the top on down, and maybe their confidence in management, including Tomlin, had been shaken a bit. I don't know...maybe I'm just thinking too much.

fansince'76
02-08-2013, 08:52 AM
Any chance Hines leaves his network gig?

Bluecoat96
02-08-2013, 08:53 AM
You're more than likely correct, but I can't help but think that. Last season was a disaster on so many fronts, from the top on down, and maybe their confidence in management, including Tomlin, had been shaken a bit. I don't know...maybe I'm just thinking too much.

Stop thinking so much! You'll get a headache. :p

cue the "Bring in Hines" comments.

86WARD
02-08-2013, 09:04 AM
Meh. A WR coach or OC position. More better experience being an OC. I wouldn't think too much into these moves. They happen with every team.

tube517
02-08-2013, 09:04 AM
Kinda glad he's leaving. Need a new face to shake up the WR group.

SteelerFanInStl
02-08-2013, 09:15 AM
Not a big loss IMO. He's easily replaced.

zulater
02-08-2013, 09:35 AM
Kinda glad he's leaving. Need a new face to shake up the WR group.

Me too.

And here;'s a thought. Maybe some of these guys were told it wouldn't be a bad idea to look for other employment? In other words the Steelers are doing them a favor by not tagging a fired onto their resume. But it was actually the Steelers who were looking to move on, they just gave these guys the courtesy of some notice to make it look as if they're leaving of their own accord.

Count Steeler
02-08-2013, 09:59 AM
Can't say that I'm sorry to see him go. The WR corps, though the hi light of our pre season hopes, just did not deliver.

The off season is just beginning.

steelreserve
02-08-2013, 10:12 AM
Considering the way the WRs doofed it this year, I don't really see this as a bad thing. Hell, maybe he saw the warning signs and did it preemptively to save his own ass.

steeldevil
02-08-2013, 10:35 AM
Hate to see a duke guy leave the team but at least he is going to duke.

GodfatherofSoul
02-08-2013, 11:10 AM
Slightly OT, the life of a coach must be pretty tough. They seem to move much more than players do; at least the support staff.

NCSteeler
02-08-2013, 12:02 PM
Me too.

And here;'s a thought. Maybe some of these guys were told it wouldn't be a bad idea to look for other employment? In other words the Steelers are doing them a favor by not tagging a fired onto their resume. But it was actually the Steelers who were looking to move on, they just gave these guys the courtesy of some notice to make it look as if they're leaving of their own accord.

Quite possible. One guy for sure should have been fired as soon as the season end (Amos) left on his own accord and now Scottie, who many wanted gone after the WR collapse this season, leaves on his own. At least most of these guys are leaving for promotions, I would worry if they were just ditching for the same or lesser job. Scottie surely saw the writing on the wall with all the Rooney rule HCing hire talk, he needs to go get experience calling plays at some level if he wants to move up, period.

salamander
02-08-2013, 01:18 PM
There's a lot more coaching turnover this off season then I remember in recent history. Definitely interesting.

Shoes
02-08-2013, 01:48 PM

I think the issues may be snowballing since Art put his hand to the throttle...

Count Steeler
02-08-2013, 01:50 PM
I think the issues may be snowballing since Art put his hand to the throttle...

Hopefully Dan puts in his 2 cents, now that he is back home.

Psycho Ward 86
02-08-2013, 02:21 PM
good.

SteelerEmpire
02-08-2013, 02:56 PM
Hines Ward, we have an opening !

ALLD
02-08-2013, 04:36 PM
I think the Steelers have the biggest coaching tree in the NFL. A few things can be said about the number of ex-Patriot coaches, but they all sucked.

Steeldude
02-09-2013, 06:58 PM
This is a good thing.

I am thinking the Steelers were probably going to fire him, but they allowed him to look elsewhere

steelerdude15
02-10-2013, 08:51 PM
I have a feeling the next WR coach will be an upgrade compared to Scottie. I think our receivers will play better next year.

zulater
02-11-2013, 08:55 PM
Bouchette: Steelers pushed Scottie Montgomery out

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/

Any PPG insiders? Because apparently this is what Bouchette is reporting. I saw this on Profootballtalk.com, but wont link it because Florio added his own personal spitefull bullshit to the story, and really didn't even expalin what Bouchette was saying in full.

SteelerFanInStl
02-11-2013, 10:23 PM
As we've been saying here, I believe that was the case. I'm not sorry to see him leave but we need to get busy filling his vacancy with the scouting combine just around the corner.

Psycho Ward 86
02-12-2013, 07:13 PM
I have a feeling the next WR coach will be an upgrade compared to Scottie. I think our receivers will play better next year.

which isnt saying much really. the words "duke" and "football" are comedy gold