PDA

View Full Version : Not Easy Being the Steelers "Star WR"

SteelerEmpire
02-06-2013, 07:34 PM
Well. Whatever happens during the off season, I hope the front office knows what their doing. I haven't, personally, been too much into them lately.

The Steelers let go of Holmes like he was a POS (our best clutch WR in years AND responsible for SB ring #6"). Hines Ward was let go rather ruthlessly. Now Wallace seems to be next in line after totally being dissed by the front office with the signing of Brown (who's now he's playing like crap... and next in line for the starting position). I see a curse forming being the Steelers "star receiver". Brown, your next on the "hit list"...

Question: What is it the front office is trying to prove by letting these guys go with such, an apparent, "attitude" and "in your face" manner ???

Don't get me wrong, I understand it's on a case-by-case basis, but I see a pattern forming. Just my observation... thanks.

Devilsdancefloor
02-06-2013, 07:44 PM
Holmes was getting a bit stupid, so i can see him go. Hines i love him to death, buit he want from starter to #5 WR within 16 games season. Wallace was givin a chance to resign, but decided to either check out FA, so i think the FO is just doing its job :noidea:

steelreserve
02-06-2013, 08:15 PM
Uh ... if someone offered you $10 million a year and you turned them down, you didn't get totally dissed. Next.
\

Psycho Ward 86
02-06-2013, 08:20 PM
to be fair the FO's hands were honestly tied in all of those situations. I mean, even if wallace signed for the deal he was offered that was like 10 mill a year i believe?....we would be hella screwed to with our cap situation right now which is already god awful with all of the people were trying to retain. hines was another cap casualty that offered a lot as a leader, but so little as a player and with our cap situation at the time, we couldnt afford him. santonio had to be jettisoned quickly with his cancerous behavior (although im also really grateful for his "gamer mentality" in so many divisional and playoff games) and it was just unfortunate that we could only reap a 5th round pick

SteelerFanInStl
02-06-2013, 08:46 PM
Holmes was getting a bit stupid, so i can see him go. Hines i love him to death, buit he want from starter to #5 WR within 16 games season. Wallace was givin a chance to resign, but decided to either check out FA, so i think the FO is just doing its job :noidea:

Correct on all accounts. The front office has done the right thing with all 3 of these guys.

blackngldblood
02-06-2013, 08:47 PM
yep, Hines, as much as we love him, was not producing and was taking alot off the cap. His time was coming, and atleast he got to retire as a steeler instead of being traded or just let go. Wallace had a chance to get paid well, and be a real star in Pittsburgh. He pissed away that opportunity out of greed, so he will go and be sub-par for another team, and alot of SteelerNation will hate him for it. Its his loss. If Brown goes back to playing like he did in 2011, which i am confident he will, he's gonna be our next life-long Steeler. The dude is a gem, he just had a rough, rough year.

Psycho Ward 86
02-06-2013, 09:13 PM
If Brown goes back to playing like he did in 2011, which i am confident he will, he's gonna be our next life-long Steeler. The dude is a gem, he just had a rough, rough year.

ah of course. because wallace didnt play like much of anything for 3 years before also having a rough, rough year :rolleyes:. all of our receivers have a lot to prove for next season. Especially sanders stepping into that #2 role.

Shoes
02-06-2013, 10:17 PM
There are surely issues with the players and coaches. I wonder tho, if it goes even higher up....with the changing of the guard?

Galax Steeler
02-07-2013, 05:06 AM
I think you will see our new star receiver come out of this years draft.

bayz101
02-07-2013, 08:36 AM
Holmes was nearly responsible for COSTING US SB #6. Fuck him. Ben was the MVP of that Super Bowl, not to mention the PERFECT pass he delivered to Holmes TWICE. I'll give Holmes credit for bringing in the second one, but Ben gets credit for placing it as perfect as it can get.

zulater
02-07-2013, 09:02 AM
I think you will see our new star receiver come out of this years draft.

I've heard there's quality depth in this draft at the receiver position.

pepsyman1
02-07-2013, 02:09 PM
The only problem I have with any of those three situations is the way Hines situation was handled. Hines deserved to be told straight up by the coaching staff what was gonna happen beforehand. He earned that and deserved a certain amount of respect. Other than that, I think all three decisions were dead on

steelreserve
02-07-2013, 06:55 PM
The only problem I have with any of those three situations is the way Hines situation was handled. Hines deserved to be told straight up by the coaching staff what was gonna happen beforehand. He earned that and deserved a certain amount of respect. Other than that, I think all three decisions were dead on

I think what he was told was that he was welcome to come and try out, but he'd have to make the team and there were no guarantees, not to mention he certainly couldn't be paid the $4M or so he was getting paid previously. I'm not speculating this; it was in the news reports of the time. I don't think they handled it poorly, they just had to be brutally honest.

86WARD
02-10-2013, 07:17 PM
There's a lot of talent in this years draft, hopefully they bring in the right guy because if they think Sanders, Brown and Cotchery are the answer, they're in trouble. Wallace is most likely out, probably Cleveland or New England, so he's got to be replaced and he has to replaced with someone who will contribute...for everyone's sake.

steelerdude15
02-10-2013, 08:22 PM
I've heard there's quality depth in this draft at the receiver position.

I have a strong feeling the Steelers will draft a receiver anywhere from round three to round five.