PDA

View Full Version : Spotlight on Charlie Batch

stillers4me
02-05-2013, 09:24 AM
Over the past few of his 15-year career in the NFL, you might see Charlie Batch with a headset in street clothes on the Steelers sideline imparting his pearls of wisdom among their franchise quarterback, Ben Roethlisberger, during a game.

With the clock ticking on his durable NFL journey, he’s found other things to do with a similar headset. He’s appeared on various local radio and television broadcasts, as a high school football color analyst. The former radio version of the Charlie Batch Show that aired on NewsTalk 104.7 tackled various issues that pertain to the sport that he’s loved for decades, until his show was discontinued after one year. It was, still, on to bigger and better things for the humanitarian and community mentor in his quest to become a successful player-gone-broadcaster. Regardless of his success in media, Batch is also busy helping the youth of his native Homestead through his ‘Best of Batch’ Foundation. (www.batchfoundation.org (http://www.batchfoundation.org))

“I’ve been very fortunate for some of the opportunities that I’ve been afforded in media and otherwise,” Batch said. “It has been something that I’ve thoroughly liked to do. Who knows, it could be something that I’ll be able to do beyond playing the game.”

The bulk of his secondary career obligations take place while the season is in progress. He has also represented the Steelers as spokesperson for the United Way Kickoff program. Working with the United Way he may give as little as 10 or as many as 20 speeches per season.

“When football season starts, needless to say, my life gets pretty hectic because I do still have to focus on my day job,” the 38 year old said. “But doing all of this and seeing what it’s turned into truly makes it worth the effort.”.............

read more @ http://thesoulpitt.com/main/spq-article-spotlight-on-charlie-batch-by-malik-vincent/

Craic
02-05-2013, 01:15 PM
There's never really been a doubt that he's a good guy. I really hope he chooses to hang up the cleats after the last game against the Ravens - it'd be a great game to go out on, and I also really hope the Steelers are smart enough to bring him back as a coach. Of course, I thought the same about Bettis and Ward, and that didn't happen for either of them either.