PDA

View Full Version : Lack of Speed a Big Issue for Pittsburgh

SteelerEmpire
02-04-2013, 03:26 PM
By Ed Bouchette*/*Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

In a season gone bad, few positions took the blame as hard as did the Steelers' receivers. The Young Money crew underperformed, dropped passes and fumbles that could have salvaged two or three victories and turned 8-8 into a playoff team.

LINK: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/steelers-sunday-spotlight-speed-kills-and-so-does-the-lack-of-it-673215/

Count Steeler
02-04-2013, 04:05 PM
I still think Montgomerie should be gone. The absence of Ward should not cause that great of a fall off, if the coach is doing his job.

zulater
02-04-2013, 06:17 PM
Personally I think Wallace and his shitty attitude poisioned the well for all the wr's. Addition by subtraction, getting rid of him will make Sanders and Brown better. That doesn't mean to say they don't need to add outside talent. Because they surely do. It's a good draft for receivers, hopefully they find the right one to add to the bunch.

Psycho Ward 86
02-04-2013, 06:42 PM
"So here is what they have left: Brown, Sanders and Jerricho Cotchery. That strike much fear into the Baltimore Ravens' secondary?"

good hypothetical question to think about

zulater
02-04-2013, 07:16 PM
"So here is what they have left: Brown, Sanders and Jerricho Cotchery. That strike much fear into the Baltimore Ravens' secondary?"

good hypothetical question to think about

http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=321202033

Seemed to do ok against them in Baltimore in week 13 this season. Yeah I know that 44 yards from Wallace will be missed though. :lol:

Mojouw
02-04-2013, 07:49 PM
http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=321202033

Seemed to do ok against them in Baltimore in week 13 this season. Yeah I know that 44 yards from Wallace will be missed though. :lol:

C'mon Zu. You know better than to make it that simple. Removing Wallace puts the #1 corner and safety help on Brown's side of the field. Jimmy Smith can now use his speed to stay with Sanders and who cares who covers Cotchery in the slot...he is not a big-play guy at this point. Wallace, despite having a poor season and a crappy attitude, forces defenses to roll coverages his way. That leaves lesser corners and less designed coverages for the other WR's.

Psycho Ward 86
02-04-2013, 07:54 PM
i think we all thought before the season started that we had something menacing in the works in the receiving corp, and most definitely one of the best in the league. brown, sanders, and cotchery? taking only one guy out of the equation and all of a sudden that doesnt sound too menacing in perspective (although we shouldnt even try to get wallace to return with our cap situation). There hasnt been a team without a really good receiving corp to win it all in a long time. Probably the steelers in 2006? Ben's arguably the most important player on this team and arming him to the teeth could be what gets us over the hump. We dont want to end up like donovan mcnabb when he was with the eagles and could never win it all (but got close so many times) with his horrible receivers. not saying brown, sanders, and cotchery are horrible of course. but definitely could be better. hope we look at the draft in the middle rounds and consider snagging a sleeper. preferably a big physical deep ball receiver if you ask me

- - - Updated - - -

i think we all thought before the season started that we had something menacing in the works in the receiving corp, and most definitely one of the best in the league. brown, sanders, and cotchery? taking only one guy out of the equation and all of a sudden that doesnt sound too menacing in perspective (although we shouldnt even try to get wallace to return with our cap situation). There hasnt been a team without a really good receiving corp to win it all in a long time. Probably the steelers in 2006? Ben's arguably the most important player on this team and arming him to the teeth could be what gets us over the hump. We dont want to end up like donovan mcnabb when he was with the eagles and could never win it all (but got close so many times) with his horrible receivers. not saying brown, sanders, and cotchery are horrible of course. but definitely could be better. hope we look at the draft in the middle rounds and consider snagging a sleeper. preferably a big physical deep ball receiver if you ask me

zulater
02-04-2013, 07:57 PM
C'mon Zu. You know better than to make it that simple. Removing Wallace puts the #1 corner and safety help on Brown's side of the field. Jimmy Smith can now use his speed to stay with Sanders and who cares who covers Cotchery in the slot...he is not a big-play guy at this point. Wallace, despite having a poor season and a crappy attitude, forces defenses to roll coverages his way. That leaves lesser corners and less designed coverages for the other WR's.

We won a Super Bowl with Ced Wilson as our x receiver in 2005. I know the game's changed, but not that much. Fix the line ( or just have it be healthy) and get a legitimate running back and draft a receiver in the first couple rounds and you'll be fine.

By the way I guess everyone missed Antonio Brown catching bombs in each of the last two games? I know one was wiped out be a penalty, but the thought that he can't get open deep is garbage.

KeiselPower99
02-04-2013, 08:10 PM
I thought we had speed on offense. Wallace and his shitty attitude ruined this season.

XxKnightxX
02-04-2013, 10:24 PM
Has the term, 'too many cooks in the kitchen' ever resonate to this WR Corps? I do, I think we need your #1 guy (Brown), a possesion type who doesnt mind going to the middle. (Cotchery). a Tweener between slot and second WR Position. (Sanders), and a big Body for Redzone threats or to wear down secondaries through physicality. Just my 2 cents, but I think the least of our problems lie with the WR corps.

86WARD
02-04-2013, 10:37 PM
It's funny that people act like the loss of Wallace's deep speed won't affect the receiving corps as a whole. His speed will be missed whether you like him or not and if you say or think otherwise, you're just hating. It doesn't matter what else he does or doesn't bring to the table. The speed is a threat...and he had to be accounted for...sometimes with two guys.

Dwinsgames
02-04-2013, 10:38 PM
IF you can run the football it changes everything ....

drafting a RB and WR early BETTER NOT BE their draft plans

zulater
02-05-2013, 12:11 AM
It's funny that people act like the loss of Wallace's deep speed won't affect the receiving corps as a whole. His speed will be missed whether you like him or not and if you say or think otherwise, you're just hating. It doesn't matter what else he does or doesn't bring to the table. The speed is a threat...and he had to be accounted for...sometimes with two guys.

The Steelers won games before Mike Wallace was ever thought of. Every player you lose you have to account for. His loss is far from insurmountable. There's better players to be had.

- - - Updated - - -

IF you can run the football it changes everything ....

drafting a RB and WR early BETTER NOT BE their draft plans

I agree with the first part of your statement. But strongly disagree with the second part. BPA for every round my man. Quarterback is the only position I would remove from that mix.

86WARD
02-05-2013, 09:41 AM
It's easy to say that. Very easy. But then you actually have to do it which isn't that easy.

Craic
02-05-2013, 12:14 PM
The Steelers won games before Mike Wallace was ever thought of. Every player you lose you have to account for. His loss is far from insurmountable. There's better players to be had.

- - - Updated - - -

I agree with the first part of your statement. But strongly disagree with the second part. BPA for every round my man. Quarterback is the only position I would remove from that mix.

After what we saw this year? No way I'd remove that from the mix. BPA, period.

zulater
02-05-2013, 12:25 PM
After what we saw this year? No way I'd remove that from the mix. BPA, period.

You got about a 3 year window left with Ben. You need an influx of talent in multiple positions. You use a high draft choice to groom Ben's replacement that's one less player to put on the field.

Basically this is exactly what the Eagles did when they drafted Kevin Kolb with their first pick (second round). McNabb's window was closing, and instead of improving the team on the field they were playing games looking ahead to groom Donavan's replacement. It blew up in their face in every way.

I know we need a soldid back up for Ben. But there's going to be guys out there that can win get through free agency that can fill the bill.

By the way, besides Alex Smith tell me some of the backups qb's on the final 8 playoff teams? The Ravens have someone that overwhelms you? The Texans, Patriots, Packers, etc...?

Basicallly you've got to try to get Ben through this season without a major injury and go into the playoffs healthy. It happened as recently as 2010 when we went to the Super bowl. It probably also should have happened in 2011 if they would have been more patient with Ben and gave him a couple extra weeks to heal.

If Ben gets hurt again this season then I'm with you, get rid of him and find his replacement.

But this team can make a real run next season if things fall in place. We need to use our draft picks to support him, not replace him.

Dwinsgames
02-05-2013, 03:19 PM

- - - Updated - - -

not for me ... this needs to be a def heavy draft IMO ...2 Safeties a CB and a pair of linebackers that is 5 must have selections to replace and improve as move into next season ...

this is exactly why I believe we MUST move down in the first round to acquire more selections and since it is a S strong draft we could pick up a very good S and ILB in round 2 if we move down and use the extra pick we gain for doing so to snag another S or CB/S tweener .....

Psycho Ward 86
02-05-2013, 05:24 PM
Has the term, 'too many cooks in the kitchen' ever resonate to this WR Corps?

recent history says you should get as many cooks in the kitchen as you can. As i said before:

There hasnt been a team without a really good receiving corp to win it all in a long time. Probably the steelers in 2006? Ben's arguably the most important player on this team and arming him to the teeth could be what gets us over the hump. We dont want to end up like donovan mcnabb when he was with the eagles and could never win it all (but got close so many times) with his horrible receivers.

you have to capitalize on focal point of your offense. and thats ben. Have to arm him to the teeth while he can still play. Im surprised ben is taken so much for granted after the garbage we had to watch pretend to play quarterback from the 80's to the 90's.

steeldawg
02-05-2013, 05:28 PM
recent history says you should get as many cooks in the kitchen as you can. As i said before:

There hasnt been a team without a really good receiving corp to win it all in a long time. Probably the steelers in 2006? Ben's arguably the most important player on this team and arming him to the teeth could be what gets us over the hump. We dont want to end up like donovan mcnabb when he was with the eagles and could never win it all (but got close so many times) with his horrible receivers.

you have to capitalize on focal point of your offense. and thats ben. Have to arm him to the teeth while he can still play. Im surprised ben is taken so much for granted after the garbage we had to watch pretend to play quarterback from the 80's to the 90's.

I agree with this ben is our franchise player and we paid him alot of money, i dont see how wideout is not a top priority position.

GBMelBlount
02-05-2013, 06:48 PM
LOL. What do you propose? Spending 50 million on receivers in free agency and our first 3 draft picks?

While I wouldn't have a problem if we picked up A great value in the early rounds what else can we possibly do?

Psycho Ward 86
02-05-2013, 07:27 PM
LOL. What do you propose? Spending 50 million on receivers in free agency and our first 3 draft picks?

While I wouldn't have a problem if we picked up A great value in the early rounds what else can we possibly do?

um, i propose picking up one more promising receiver like you do?

XxKnightxX
02-06-2013, 12:38 AM

The same thing was being said when we let go of Plaxico at the end of 05 and we won the SB with a WR with no ACLs. Speed is a great help for the team, but it cant be what you have to rely on to win. Id rather have precision guys who know how to run their routes, read coverages and find the soft spot, and get open when the play breaks down.

- - - Updated - - -

I understand, but at the same time we have a very young and eager WR corps, who without bad intentions try to do too much instead of their job. I think thats a reason for the massive bonehead moves from Brown, Sanders, and Wallace. Trying to do too much, when doing just your job is what helps the team move (Heath).

Im not overly concerned, as I think that these problems get resolved with experience. And that we should turn our focus into other areas of the team.

st33lersguy
02-06-2013, 06:36 PM

What good is deep speed when it doesn't translate into catches? Wallace has a very poor attitude and throwing a truckload of money at him will only make him lazier and give the Steelers less room for players whose prime interest isn't money

KeiselPower99
02-06-2013, 06:40 PM
I have a hell of an idea. How about we draft Tavon Austin. He can be that fast deep threat and the speed rb we need.

Count Steeler
02-06-2013, 06:42 PM
Honest answer everyone. The Jacoby receiving TD in the SB. Does Wallace make that play?

Vastly under thrown, Jacoby adjusts to it and then races past the DB to the end zone.

I say it is 50/50 at best that Wallace makes the catch AND scores the TD.

SteelerEmpire
02-06-2013, 07:21 PM

SteelerFanInStl
02-06-2013, 08:54 PM
Speed isn't hard to find at WR in the draft. You can easily find a good WR in the later rounds. The Rams drafted Givens in the 4th round last year and he made a big contribution in his first year.

steeldawg
02-07-2013, 05:07 AM
Honest answer everyone. The Jacoby receiving TD in the SB. Does Wallace make that play?

Vastly under thrown, Jacoby adjusts to it and then races past the DB to the end zone.

I say it is 50/50 at best that Wallace makes the catch AND scores the TD.

wallace has made catches much tougher than that alot more times than jacoby jones has.

LLT
02-07-2013, 05:59 AM
I usually agree with Bouchette...but its a head scratcher to me that he thinks we should use a high draft pick on a reciever who run a 4.47 ...to stretch the field....when we have two recievers (other then Wallace) who are faster then that.

"Tweak" the talented corp we already have. Find an athletic big reciever (on the 2nd day) to compliment Brown and Sanders...who are virtual clones of each other. In the 2012 Steelers Universe mock draft thread...I mentioned Marcus Davis of Virginia Tech. He has been recorded as fast as 4.44 (4.47 official time)...and is 6'3 230 lbs. He will still be there in the later rounds...is great value...and with the right motivation could be a steal for a team willing to polish him. Not saying that HE is the answer...but that is the mindset I hope we take in this draft.