PDA

View Full Version : European match-fixing probe: 380 suspicious games

vader29
02-04-2013, 07:49 AM
THE HAGUE, Netherlands (AP) — A wide-ranging match-fixing investigation has uncovered more than 380 suspicious matches — including World Cup and European Championship qualifiers and two Champions League games — and found evidence that a Singapore-based crime group is closely involved in match-fixing.

"This is a sad day for European football," Rob Wainwright, head of the European Union police organization Europol, said Monday, referring to the sport Americans call soccer. He said the investigation uncovered "match-fixing activity on a scale we have not seen before."

The probe uncovered €8 million ($10.9 million) in betting profits and €2 million ($2.7 million) in bribes to players and officials and has already led to several prosecutions.

Read more: http://news.yahoo.com/european-match-fixing-probe-380-suspicious-games-112420894--sow.html

Devilsdancefloor
02-04-2013, 08:07 AM
After watching some NFL games the past few years i wonder about things, but this is huge for soccer hopefully they can get it cleaned up

ALLD
02-04-2013, 10:57 AM
It's soccer, who really cares in the US?

Drazo85
02-07-2013, 06:50 AM
This is exactly why i stopped watching soccer years ago. Only blindman cant see that matches are fixed. In eastern European countries owners with criminal backgrounds are using clubs for laundering money, and what a better way to earn some extra money than fixing matches. I believe UEFA and FIFA knew that but they decided to do nothing about it.