PDA

View Full Version : What if......

Bluecoat96
02-04-2013, 07:31 AM
we actually did go ahead and hire Jim Caldwell as our OC last off season? Even though he took over someone else's offense, you can't deny what he was able to do with Flaccid and co. I'm generally not a big "what if" guy, but that's the first thing I thought of last night during the game....especially the 1st half, when the Ravens were pretty much sticking it right up the 49er's poopers.

fansince'76
02-04-2013, 07:48 AM
I remember a LOT of people badmouthing Caldwell as the possible OC before the Steelers settled on Haley. Doesn't seem like it would have been such a bad hire in retrospect.

Dwinsgames
02-04-2013, 11:54 AM
meh .... a better what if would be ...

what if we won more games we should have won .....

The Ravens where 1 loss 1win away from not even making the playoffs and we gifted them 1 win ...

so many things had to line up for the Ravens it is not even funny Suggs come back from a normal season ending injury , Ray Lewis come back from what normally is a season ending injury , Torry Smith losing his brother , firing the OC late in the season and handing the job to a guy who has never done it at this level ..... you could not script the thing any more movie like

NCSteeler
02-04-2013, 12:20 PM
Did Caldwell personally reshuffle their oline and make them play 4 of the best games played by an oline ever?

Seven
02-05-2013, 11:51 AM
The only thing that changed about that offense under Caldwell compared to Cameron was the tempo. I'm not convinced he could install an offensive system as well as the ones he has inherited during his last couple coaching stints himself. I don't think the Steelers made a mistake in passing over him. They wanted a change in philosophy not a change in trigger man.

The Ravens won Sunday because of their receivers. Flacco puts it up just about anywhere and they come down with it. JaMarcus Russell could have looked like a franchise quarterback in that game.

zulater
02-05-2013, 12:30 PM
Did Caldwell personally reshuffle their oline and make them play 4 of the best games played by an oline ever?

I may be wrong, but I've been going through the play by play sheets for all the playoff games, and unless I overlooked something I can't find one offensive holding penalty that was called against the Ravens through 4 entire playoff games! I'll bet there hasn't been two consicutive games by the Steelers without an offensive hold in the last 5 seasons. And here the Ravens are a team that throws the ball down the field. Plays that take time to develop. How the hell does that happen?:huh:

Hell we should sack Haley and hire their o-line coach to be coordinater if that was legit?

86WARD
02-05-2013, 03:03 PM
Playoff teams usually have less penalties called against them. It's not surprising.

st33lersguy
02-05-2013, 04:11 PM
The Ravens won Sunday because of their receivers. Flacco puts it up just about anywhere and they come down with it. JaMarcus Russell could have looked like a franchise quarterback in that game.

Exactly, nice to have that pointed out. Also, nice I wasn't the only one to notice Flacco's innacurate passes that his receivers made superb adjustments to

zulater
02-05-2013, 04:21 PM
Playoff teams usually have less penalties called against them. It's not surprising.

Not one offensive holding penalty in 4 games for a team that employs a vertical passing attack?

Every other playoff team that played more than one playoff game this year had at least one offensive hold.

The Steelers have never gone though a playoff run without one.

It's unique.

That's why I'm not buying entirely into the Flacco is great narrative.

He's got an elite running back, the league's best fullback, has the highest functioning offensive line, and two exceptional wideouts.

I'd wager at least half the league's qb's could produce some wonderfull results with all that.

- - - Updated - - -

The only thing that changed about that offense under Caldwell compared to Cameron was the tempo. I'm not convinced he could install an offensive system as well as the ones he has inherited during his last couple coaching stints himself. I don't think the Steelers made a mistake in passing over him. They wanted a change in philosophy not a change in trigger man.

It's reminiscent of Randall Cunningham that one year in Minnesota with Chris Carter and Randy Moss. He'd just chuck it up and they'd come down with it and gave him a season's worth of hero numbers.