PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Universe: 2013 Mock Draft thread

LLT
02-03-2013, 09:16 PM
The first version of the 2013 Mock Draft has been posted. There will be a boat load of changes before the draft based on Free Agency...insider information...and trades.

Give us your opinions and predictions!!

Dwinsgames
02-03-2013, 09:54 PM
Love Vaccaro but at 17 ...that is overpaying for a guy who I believe could be had much later in a trade down and extra picks to add value

I would not draft him that early and trust me I like him a lot but 17 is Troy area , I do not see Vaccaro as Troy talent ...just my opinion

LLT
02-04-2013, 12:46 AM
Love Vaccaro but at 17 ...that is overpaying for a guy who I believe could be had much later in a trade down and extra picks to add value

I would not draft him that early and trust me I like him a lot but 17 is Troy area , I do not see Vaccaro as Troy talent ...just my opinion

You know my feelings on Vaccaro...I think he's special. But if we could get him later in the draft I would be elated.

NFLDraftScout has him ranked as the #13 overall talent in this draft....but there is plenty of time before the draft.

Steeltreal
02-04-2013, 09:14 AM
Cant wait to watch Barkevious Mingo run those CB drills at the combine.

SteelerFanInStl
02-04-2013, 08:34 PM

If we don't take Vaccaro at 17, the Rams will take him if he's still there at 22. Any kind of a trade down would have to get us a pick before the Rams.

Personally, I'd rather see a LBer with the first pick. This draft is strong at safety and we can still get a good one later. I think that we need a player in the first round who can come in and play immediately and I see that happening at LBer.

steelerdude15
02-04-2013, 08:52 PM
If we don't take Vaccaro at 17, the Rams will take him if he's still there at 22. Any kind of a trade down would have to get us a pick before the Rams.

Personally, I'd rather see a LBer with the first pick. This draft is strong at safety and we can still get a good one later. I think that we need a player in the first round who can come in and play immediately and I see that happening at LBer.

I don't know, I still want to give Spence a shot. I think he can be a good linebacker and hopefully he'll be one hundred percent come training camp. I'd love to take Vaccaro in the first round.

Texasteel
02-06-2013, 04:00 PM
A very nice start Perry. I personally have no problem with Vaccaro at 17 right now. What happens in the combine may move him up a bit though, or move him down, who knows.

If we try to move down in the draft I am still playing with the Xavier Rhodes idea. Big kid that is one of the most physical CBs I have seen in some time. I still think he can be converted to Safty and maybe be even better than some think.

Shoes
02-06-2013, 10:21 PM
Nice stuff LLT.....really enjoy this part of the season.

LLT
02-07-2013, 02:27 AM
A very nice start Perry. I personally have no problem with Vaccaro at 17 right now. What happens in the combine may move him up a bit though, or move him down, who knows.

If we try to move down in the draft I am still playing with the Xavier Rhodes idea. Big kid that is one of the most physical CBs I have seen in some time. I still think he can be converted to Safty and maybe be even better than some think.

I like Rhodes....a lot!

If we do go with Vaccaro...Here is a possibility.

Round 1) Kenny Vaccaro, Safety, Texas, 6'1 219 lbs
Finally...a legitimate safety who can play either FS or SS if Troy or Ryan go down.

Round 2) Marcus Lattimore, RB, South Carolina, 6'0 220 lbs
Ranked as a third round prospect due to injury...I would snatch up Lattimore in a heartbeat if still on the board with this pick.... knowing that I have a first round talent when he is healed.

Round 3) Nico Johnson, ILB, Alabama, 6'2 249 lbs
Physical Run stopper with good speed to cover the middle on passing downs. Has the size and athleticism to play ILB/OLB

Round 4) Keith Pough OLB, Howard, 6'2 241 lbs
I love the small school sleepers. Pough was impressive at Shrine game...Was described by scouts as "violent" and "aggressive". Harrison might be history and if not...Pough will push Carter and Worilds as the first backup on the field.

Round 5) Matt Scott QB, Arizona, 6'2 202 lbs
Thin framed but very athletic QB who will make defenses account for his ability to run, while maintaining the talent to burn them with his strong arm and quick release. Will need to add some weight to play in the NFl.

Round 6) Marcus Davis WR, Virginia Tech, 6'3 230
Project player who has great size and runs a 4.47 forty. Has the physical tools, but will need a coach to light a fire under him. Some basic problems with fundemtals....but could be a gem if he proves to be coachable.

Round 7) When you get this deep into the draft its a crapshoot... I like OG Chris Barker of Nevada, 6'4 305 lbs: good character and hard worker.....DT Gilbert Pena of Mississippi, 6'2 334 lbs: Good size and worth a peek in the 7th....DE Baker Steinkuhler of Nebraska, 6'5 290 lbs: worth a PS slot until Kiesel retires.....SS Earl Wolff of North Carolina State, 5'11 206 lbs: surprised some people at the Shrine game with his athleticism, reaction time, and field awareness.

Texasteel
02-08-2013, 03:08 PM
Each year it seems I sing the same song,,,,,, trade down. This year will be no different. I know that a trade down is hard to pull off, but they do happen each year, so who knows.
I would like to see us trade into the 25th pick area, and pick up an extra 3rd round pick.es

1....Xavier Rhodes, CB, Florida St. 6'1", 217 lbs, 4.53/40....... This early entry I a very physical CB that has good speed and a solid build. Played RB, CB, and WR in high school, and I, for one, think he could switch to Safty, a position of need, or stay at CB if needed. Long arms, and pretty good hand,

2....Quinton Patton. WR, Louisiana Tech, 6'0", 200 lbs, 4.52/40...... Stonge kid with long arms that normally catches the ball with his hand instead of his body. Has great exelleration off the line, and make quick cuts in his pattern. Does not have great breakaway speed, but his exelleration and quickness should give Ben a new target in the middle, letting Sanders move to the outside.

3a....Marcus Lattimore, RB, South Carolina, 6'0", 220 lbs, 4.6/40......This kid is one of the more complete backs I have seen, he has everything but speed. He can block, catch the ball out of the backfield, and run with power. He can also put a couple of move on to give him just that little bit of a crack. Earlier I was thinking about him a the first round pick, but after having the last two seasons ended with an injury I think there may not be to many teams looking at him till the late 3rd, or early 4th. A gamble? Yes he is, but the extra 3rd will make a bit easier to take.

3b....Nico Johnson, ILB, Alabama, 6'2", 250 lbs...... Seems to becoming a side favorite, don't think I can tell you anything you don't already know.

4....Devin Pough, OLB, Howard, 6'2", 241 lbs...... LLT has pretty well covered this kid, and I agree. Also a name that I am seeing mentioned more.

5,,,,Kwame Geathers, NT, Georgia, 6'5", 355 lbs.... A little taller than I normally like, but a huge kid that can clog the middle of the line. Has a good blood line, as his brothers, and father have all played in the NFL. Insurance for the middle of our DL,,,,,,,, just in case.

6,,,,Kerwynn Williams, RB, Utah State, 5'8, 195 lbs. 4.44/40..... Short compact body, with speed. Keeps his feet under him which makes his cuts sharp and quick. Recongises running lane, and uses blockers well. Can get to the outside, use cut back lanes, and catches the ball well, then changes gears after the catch. In other words a good replacement for whats his name.

7....Marquess Wilson. WR, Washinton State, 6'3", 190 lbs, 4,52/40.... A productive player for Washington State. Is not a burner, but tall with long arms. At his best when going up for a jump ball. Could develop into a red zone weapon for Ben.

Count Steeler
02-08-2013, 06:16 PM
Interesting Tex. 2 WR and 2 RB. You think we go that heavy to the offense?

I think it is a good year to trade down and get some extra picks. Maybe even package a vet or 2. Woodley would like good in Jax.

Texasteel
02-08-2013, 07:17 PM
Interesting Tex. 2 WR and 2 RB. You think we go that heavy to the offense?

I think it is a good year to trade down and get some extra picks. Maybe even package a vet or 2. Woodley would like good in Jax.

I am assuming that we may go through heavy losses at WR. Unless I've missed something the Wallace situation doesn't look promising, and I've read a couple places that Cotchery could be missing next year as well. Like I said, I think Patton could be a very good player in the middle, and then Sanders could slide over to take Mikes place. I like Wilson mostly because of his highth, and very long arms. He has shown me the ability to go up after the high, or jump balls.

It's no secret that I do not think we have a starting RB on this team, not one I would trust play after play, game after game. Lattimore would give us that back,IF he can stay healthy. Williams has the look of a kid that can play in a few different places. A RB that can get to the outside, or catch the ball, could line up as a WR it the need arises, could even run back kicks for us. Remember the second WR, and RB are the 6th and 7th round picks.

4 of the 8 picks were defencive players, CB/Safty, ILB, OLB, and NT, I think all this kids could help the depth of these positions that I see as position of need.

Dwinsgames
02-08-2013, 10:33 PM
Each year it seems I sing the same song,,,,,, trade down. This year will be no different. I know that a trade down is hard to pull off, but they do happen each year, so who knows.
I would like to see us trade into the 25th pick area, and pick up an extra 3rd round pick.es

1....Xavier Rhodes, CB, Florida St. 6'1", 217 lbs, 4.53/40....... This early entry I a very physical CB that has good speed and a solid build. Played RB, CB, and WR in high school, and I, for one, think he could switch to Safty, a position of need, or stay at CB if needed. Long arms, and pretty good hand,

2....Quinton Patton. WR, Louisiana Tech, 6'0", 200 lbs, 4.52/40...... Stonge kid with long arms that normally catches the ball with his hand instead of his body. Has great exelleration off the line, and make quick cuts in his pattern. Does not have great breakaway speed, but his exelleration and quickness should give Ben a new target in the middle, letting Sanders move to the outside.

3a....Marcus Lattimore, RB, South Carolina, 6'0", 220 lbs, 4.6/40......This kid is one of the more complete backs I have seen, he has everything but speed. He can block, catch the ball out of the backfield, and run with power. He can also put a couple of move on to give him just that little bit of a crack. Earlier I was thinking about him a the first round pick, but after having the last two seasons ended with an injury I think there may not be to many teams looking at him till the late 3rd, or early 4th. A gamble? Yes he is, but the extra 3rd will make a bit easier to take.

3b....Nico Johnson, ILB, Alabama, 6'2", 250 lbs...... Seems to becoming a side favorite, don't think I can tell you anything you don't already know.

4....Devin Pough, OLB, Howard, 6'2", 241 lbs...... LLT has pretty well covered this kid, and I agree. Also a name that I am seeing mentioned more.

5,,,,Kwame Geathers, NT, Georgia, 6'5", 355 lbs.... A little taller than I normally like, but a huge kid that can clog the middle of the line. Has a good blood line, as his brothers, and father have all played in the NFL. Insurance for the middle of our DL,,,,,,,, just in case.

6,,,,Kerwynn Williams, RB, Utah State, 5'8, 195 lbs. 4.44/40..... Short compact body, with speed. Keeps his feet under him which makes his cuts sharp and quick. Recongises running lane, and uses blockers well. Can get to the outside, use cut back lanes, and catches the ball well, then changes gears after the catch. In other words a good replacement for whats his name.

7....Marquess Wilson. WR, Washinton State, 6'3", 190 lbs, 4,52/40.... A productive player for Washington State. Is not a burner, but tall with long arms. At his best when going up for a jump ball. Could develop into a red zone weapon for Ben.

I like it ... would like it even more if we then traded back again from mid 20s to early /mid 30s ( gain another pick or two along the way ) and Take David Amerson with our first selection( 2nd round ) followed up with T.J McDonald , Eddie Lacy , Nico Johnson ...

If the pieces fall right we could trade back twice and gain a pair of 2nd rounders ( depends on whom is on the board and what team is wanting to make the move ) ..QBs will control the draft as they always do and if we play our cards right that could be a real advantage in this draft for us to make some moves and come out smelling like a rose ourselves in the process ..

trade pick value does not support that logic but when it comes to QBs on the board the value charts go out the window in a QB driven league

Texasteel
02-09-2013, 10:28 AM
I like it ... would like it even more if we then traded back again from mid 20s to early /mid 30s ( gain another pick or two along the way ) and Take David Amerson with our first selection( 2nd round ) followed up with T.J McDonald , Eddie Lacy , Nico Johnson ...

If the pieces fall right we could trade back twice and gain a pair of 2nd rounders ( depends on whom is on the board and what team is wanting to make the move ) ..QBs will control the draft as they always do and if we play our cards right that could be a real advantage in this draft for us to make some moves and come out smelling like a rose ourselves in the process ..

trade pick value does not support that logic but when it comes to QBs on the board the value charts go out the window in a QB driven league

Like all four players, just wondering how far Anderson will climb, and if McDonald may recover from his slide and start to climb again. Things will clear up a little after the combine. If we could pull off all four players I think I would be very pleased.

By the way, I have become a big Lacy fan. Kid has guts, and seems to never give up on a play.

Count Steeler
02-09-2013, 06:11 PM
I am assuming that we may go through heavy losses at WR. Unless I've missed something the Wallace situation doesn't look promising, and I've read a couple places that Cotchery could be missing next year as well. Like I said, I think Patton could be a very good player in the middle, and then Sanders could slide over to take Mikes place. I like Wilson mostly because of his highth, and very long arms. He has shown me the ability to go up after the high, or jump balls.

It's no secret that I do not think we have a starting RB on this team, not one I would trust play after play, game after game. Lattimore would give us that back,IF he can stay healthy. Williams has the look of a kid that can play in a few different places. A RB that can get to the outside, or catch the ball, could line up as a WR it the need arises, could even run back kicks for us. Remember the second WR, and RB are the 6th and 7th round picks.

4 of the 8 picks were defencive players, CB/Safty, ILB, OLB, and NT, I think all this kids could help the depth of these positions that I see as position of need.

Makes a lot of sense. I have a feeling though, that we pick up another O Lineman along the way. Maybe if we get some compensatory picks.

Texasteel
02-09-2013, 07:15 PM
Makes a lot of sense. I have a feeling though, that we pick up another O Lineman along the way. Maybe if we get some compensatory picks.

Thats very possible bud. If they do I would look for someone like a Manase Foketi of West Texas A&M, in the 6th or 7th. A big strong kid that is good in pass protection.

Dwinsgames
02-09-2013, 08:07 PM

we should get 1 from William Gay , look for it between rounds 5 and 7

Shoes
02-09-2013, 09:04 PM
Lacy looks good....nice ball protection.

SteelerFanInStl
02-10-2013, 10:17 AM

Yes, we definitely will. If you read the article about the offense and OL, Haley and Bicknell want lighter, more athletic linemen. That most likely means that Starks, Colon and possibly Foster will be gone.

LLT
02-11-2013, 02:25 AM

Hmmmm...taking that into consideration.

Round 1) Kenny Vaccaro, Safety, Texas, 6'1 219 lbs
Finally...a legitimate safety who can play either FS or SS if Troy or Ryan go down.

Round 2) Marcus Lattimore, RB, South Carolina, 6'0 220 lbs
Ranked as a third round prospect due to injury...I would snatch up Lattimore in a heartbeat if still on the board with this pick.... knowing that I have a first round talent when he is healed.

Round 3) Nico Johnson, ILB, Alabama, 6'2 249 lbs
Physical Run stopper with good speed to cover the middle on passing downs. Has the size and athleticism to play ILB/OLB

Round 4) Keith Pough OLB, Howard, 6'2 241 lbs
I love the small school sleepers. Pough was impressive at Shrine game...Was described by scouts as "violent" and "aggressive". Harrison might be history and if not...Pough will push Carter and Worilds as the first backup on the field.

Round 5a) Matt Scott QB, Arizona, 6'2 202 lbs
Thin framed but very athletic QB who will make defenses account for his ability to run, while maintaining the talent to burn them with his strong arm and quick release. Will need to add some weight to play in the NFl.

Round 5b) Garrett Gilkey OG, Chadron State 6'6 314 lbs
Was able to play with the big boys at the Senior Bowl. Even held his own against NT John Jenkins. Good work ethic and extremely high ceiling.

Round 6) Marcus Davis WR, Virginia Tech, 6'3 230
Project player who has great size and runs a 4.47 forty. Has the physical tools, but will need a coach to light a fire under him. Some basic problems with fundemtals....but could be a gem if he proves to be coachable.

Round 7) Earl Wolff SS, North Carolina State, 5'11 206 lbs
Surprised some people at the Shrine game with his athleticism, reaction time, and field awareness.

Dwinsgames
02-11-2013, 11:38 AM
with the potential of 4 O-Linemen that where on the roster in 2012 being gone at the start of 2013 and a change in philosophy of the type of linemen and scheme they intend to run changes the type of RB we will need and with that style of RB not on the roster it creates another issue that needs addressing .... I think we need to put more emphasis on replacing them even though it has been my contention that we are in dire need of S and LB early in this draft and I also believe we need a QB to mold under Ben ... that being said and trying to take all of that into consideration in this 1 draft this is what I have come up with ...

round 1 pick 17 traded back to mid 20s and gain a 3rd round pick

round 1 mid 20s pick traded back to mid 30s for a second and third round pick ...

2nd round

2A David Amerson DB
2B Jonathan Cooper OG
3A Nico Johnson ILB
3B Stepfan Taylor RB
3C Shawn Williams S
4 Brad Sorenson QB
5 Bruce Taylor LB
6 Micah Hyde DB
6b Brandon Williams DE
7 Lamar Mandy OG

Texasteel
02-20-2013, 09:02 AM
A pre combine sliders draft. This is a Steelers draft of players that could go higher, but at the same time could slide into the Steelers lap on draft day. I may be pushing a bit on some of these, but I do think that some of these players could happen.

pick 17....Jarvis Jones, OLB, Georgia,,,,, Top OLB prospect in the draft. Some figure him to be a top 10 pick. Has explosivenes mixed with the ability to bull rush the OT that will make him hard to handle in the pass rush. Good tackler with strong hands that can rip the ball away from the QB or RB before he hits the ground.

Why will he slide????? Health questions will make several teams leary to take him extreamly high. I have seem him listed as possibly being there when we pick at 17.

Pick 49..... Eddie Lacy, RB, Stong legs with decent speed. Keeps legs moving after contact which makes him difficult to bring down. Can break tackles, elude tacklers, or just move the pile. Is the best RB in the draft right now.

Why will he slide.... Again questions about his injury, He has suffered a hammy that will keep him out of the combines. Mix this with problems like foot sprains, and other foot problems. He could go from a 1st to early 2nd round pick to a middle to later 2nd round pick.

pick 81..... Markus Williams, WR, Oregon ST...... May be one of the most talented WR in the draft, overall. Very fast, that to me sometimes looked faster than his low 4.4/40, on the field. Runs a good route, with the agility, and hands, to make the diving catch, or catch the ball thrown behind him. Will not quit working when the QB is flushed, but continues to try an give the QB an open target. Stll his best weapon is his speed and ability to gain seperation.

Why will he slide???? His size. At 5'11", 180 lb. he does not fit what some have pictured as ideal NFL WR size. Still I only seem him sliding from the 2nd round to the 3rd.

pick 113.....Terron Armstead, OT, Arkansas-Pine Bluff... A very athletic, and quick OT, with good blocking technic. Can, and does get to the second level, with enough pop to set a defender on his heals. Good in zone blocking, which sound like the type of O-line we are looking to go to.

Why will he slide???? A small school kid, that even though he has good technic, needs help on his knowlage of the game. Like I said, he can get to the second level,,,,,,,,,,, but may not know what to do when he gets there. Only needs a good coach, IMO.

pick 145...... TJ McDonald, FS, Southern California,,,,,,, A big hitter, that gives good run support. Has and NFL body, and posesses good closing speed.

Why will he slide..... Is not considered a fluid CB. Will often give a WR enough room in the middle of the field to make a catch, and can often be caught out of possition. May be my most dangerous slider. A good combine could move him back up the draft chart.

pick 177..... Montori Hughes, DT, Tennessee-Martin,,,,,, A large kid, with quickness, and speed that is unusual for someone his size. A hard worker that is agressive on the field. Can break through the line and chace down a play.

Why he will slide..... Small school, several off the field incidents. Questionable fundamentals, and technic.

pick 209....... Omoregie Uzzi, OG, Georgia Tech, A guick athletic OG, with a kick slide that could put him at OT if needed. Uses his hands well to control the pass rush.

Why will he slide???? Only average size, relies on his quickness more than power. Has trouble with a bull rush.

Dwinsgames
02-20-2013, 09:42 AM
A pre combine sliders draft. This is a Steelers draft of players that could go higher, but at the same time could slide into the Steelers lap on draft day. I may be pushing a bit on some of these, but I do think that some of these players could happen.

pick 17....Jarvis Jones, OLB, Georgia,,,,, Top OLB prospect in the draft. Some figure him to be a top 10 pick. Has explosivenes mixed with the ability to bull rush the OT that will make him hard to handle in the pass rush. Good tackler with strong hands that can rip the ball away from the QB or RB before he hits the ground.

Why will he slide????? Health questions will make several teams leary to take him extreamly high. I have seem him listed as possibly being there when we pick at 17.

Pick 49..... Eddie Lacy, RB, Stong legs with decent speed. Keeps legs moving after contact which makes him difficult to bring down. Can break tackles, elude tacklers, or just move the pile. Is the best RB in the draft right now.

Why will he slide.... Again questions about his injury, He has suffered a hammy that will keep him out of the combines. Mix this with problems like foot sprains, and other foot problems. He could go from a 1st to early 2nd round pick to a middle to later 2nd round pick.

pick 81..... Markus Williams, WR, Oregon ST...... May be one of the most talented WR in the draft, overall. Very fast, that to me sometimes looked faster than his low 4.4/40, on the field. Runs a good route, with the agility, and hands, to make the diving catch, or catch the ball thrown behind him. Will not quit working when the QB is flushed, but continues to try an give the QB an open target. Stll his best weapon is his speed and ability to gain seperation.

Why will he slide???? His size. At 5'11", 180 lb. he does not fit what some have pictured as ideal NFL WR size. Still I only seem him sliding from the 2nd round to the 3rd.

pick 113.....Terron Armstead, OT, Arkansas-Pine Bluff... A very athletic, and quick OT, with good blocking technic. Can, and does get to the second level, with enough pop to set a defender on his heals. Good in zone blocking, which sound like the type of O-line we are looking to go to.

Why will he slide???? A small school kid, that even though he has good technic, needs help on his knowlage of the game. Like I said, he can get to the second level,,,,,,,,,,, but may not know what to do when he gets there. Only needs a good coach, IMO.

pick 145...... TJ McDonald, FS, Southern California,,,,,,, A big hitter, that gives good run support. Has and NFL body, and posesses good closing speed.

Why will he slide..... Is not considered a fluid CB. Will often give a WR enough room in the middle of the field to make a catch, and can often be caught out of possition. May be my most dangerous slider. A good combine could move him back up the draft chart.

pick 177..... Montori Hughes, DT, Tennessee-Martin,,,,,, A large kid, with quickness, and speed that is unusual for someone his size. A hard worker that is agressive on the field. Can break through the line and chace down a play.

Why he will slide..... Small school, several off the field incidents. Questionable fundamentals, and technic.

pick 209....... Omoregie Uzzi, OG, Georgia Tech, A guick athletic OG, with a kick slide that could put him at OT if needed. Uses his hands well to control the pass rush.

Why will he slide???? Only average size, relies on his quickness more than power. Has trouble with a bull rush.

NICE !!

not sure on McDonald sliding all the way to 145 , I have him as a top 50-60 prospect and see a whole lot of Ryan Clark in him

Texasteel
02-20-2013, 10:18 AM
NICE !!

not sure on McDonald sliding all the way to 145 , I have him as a top 50-60 prospect and see a whole lot of Ryan Clark in him

Thank you buddy.

Actually I kinda agree with you, I have him in my top 100. He is so physical. I am just reading a lot of concerns about the weaknesses he does have.
I do think that McDonald may have the most to gain, or loose during the combine. If he can show that he can move better than some think, he could be right back in the 2nd round. If he has a bad combine, with a poor pro-day, he could fall as far as the 4th or 5th.

Dwinsgames
02-20-2013, 11:43 AM
Thank you buddy.

Actually I kinda agree with you, I have him in my top 100. He is so physical. I am just reading a lot of concerns about the weaknesses he does have.
I do think that McDonald may have the most to gain, or loose during the combine. If he can show that he can move better than some think, he could be right back in the 2nd round. If he has a bad combine, with a poor pro-day, he could fall as far as the 4th or 5th.

if he falls that far he could wind up being the steal of the draft long term , he is a football player more than an athlete so workouts such as the combine may not bode well for him as you suggest ... but it will bode well for the team lucky enough to land him IMO

Texasteel
02-21-2013, 03:20 PM
if he falls that far he could wind up being the steal of the draft long term , he is a football player more than an athlete so workouts such as the combine may not bode well for him as you suggest ... but it will bode well for the team lucky enough to land him IMO

And this slidrule scouting mentality is exactly what can make a good player like McDonald tumble in the draft. I'm actually a little excited to see what does happen with McDonald, because teams like the Steelers, the Ravens, the Packers ( you know, the long term good teams ) are the ones most likely to look at the player, and plays, instead of just the numbers. Like you have said before, and I agree, its not that numbers have no value, its just that they are often over valued.

This is going to be fun buddy. I love this stuff.

Dwinsgames
02-21-2013, 11:19 PM
with the potential of 4 O-Linemen that where on the roster in 2012 being gone at the start of 2013 and a change in philosophy of the type of linemen and scheme they intend to run changes the type of RB we will need and with that style of RB not on the roster it creates another issue that needs addressing .... I think we need to put more emphasis on replacing them even though it has been my contention that we are in dire need of S and LB early in this draft and I also believe we need a QB to mold under Ben ... that being said and trying to take all of that into consideration in this 1 draft this is what I have come up with ...

round 1 pick 17 traded back to mid 20s and gain a 3rd round pick

round 1 mid 20s pick traded back to mid 30s for a second and third round pick ...

2nd round

2A David Amerson DB
2B Jonathan Cooper OG
3A Nico Johnson ILB
3B Stepfan Taylor RB
3C Shawn Williams S
4 Brad Sorenson QB
5 Bruce Taylor LB
6 Micah Hyde DB
6b Brandon Williams DE
7 Lamar Mandy OG

Steelers met with Cooper today , would be an excellent selection for what they are looking to do on the O-line

LLT
02-22-2013, 01:27 AM
NICE !!

I also wouldnt be upset if we drafted Phillip Thomas of Fresno State... very...VERY... good instincts. I wouldnt be surprised to see him go in the first half of the 2nd round...but if he slides I'd be really pleased

Steeltreal
02-22-2013, 02:01 AM
I also wouldnt be upset if we drafted Phillip Thomas of Fresno State... very...VERY... good instincts. I wouldnt be surprised to see him go in the first half of the 2nd round...but if he slides I'd be really pleased

Trading out of the first to grab Patton, Thomas in the 2nd would be awesome

Texasteel
02-22-2013, 02:08 AM
Steelers met with Cooper today , would be an excellent selection for what they are looking to do on the O-line

If it ends up that Cooper is our guy I would expect us to try to trade out of the 17 spot. Right now I don't see him as a mid first round pick, but not likely to make it to us in the second. I would not be unhappy with that pick. Good call Dwins.

Cooper, Pouncey, DeCastro on the inside. Just got a bit of a grin on my face.

Or might it be Pouncey, Cooper, DeCastro.

LLT
02-22-2013, 04:53 AM
The more I see and the more I research Keith Pough...the more I crave having this kid on our team. 6'3 238 lbs... He finished his career as the ALL TIME tackles for loss leader with 83!!! He was also the most talked about player at the Shrine Game. If he runs in the 4.6 range at the combine he is going to fly up the charts.

BSO: What did it mean to you to win the Pat Tillman Award at the East-West Shrine Game?

KP: Besides visiting the Shriner’s hospital and meeting those kids and having those kids bless my life it means a lot. Just everything Pat Tillman stood for as a man, giving up a lucrative contract and career in football to volunteer to serve his country and unfortunately paying the ultimate sacrifice, it speaks volumes about the type of man he was and it speaks on the direction I’m headed in my life and what people see in me and the standard and the light I’m held in. To whom much is given, much is required but I gladly take on the responsibility and the challenge of being the leader having won the Pat Tillman Award. Pat Tillman stood for all those things, all the intangibles: honesty, leadership, integrity, dignity, pride, selfless service. Everything he stood for are things you can’t teach. It’s a blessing and an honor and I often think about how much of a blessing it was to even be nominated for that award.

BSO: What’s a team getting when they draft Keith Pough?

KP: The hardest working man in America. They’re getting leader, a guy with high character. A guy you won’t have to worry about on the field or off the field. A guy who is self-disciplined who’s going to be where he’s supposed to be and do what he’s supposed to do. A guy who’s very coachable, who’s going to be the first guy in, and the last guy out. A guy who will be uplifting and encouraging at all times. Someone who’s going to work hard and be willing to play wherever, even if it’s special teams. I’m willing to be that role player for the team. Everybody’s not going to be the superstar or that highly paid guy on the billboards. You’ve got to have a lot of role players, and I’m willing to take on that responsibility and contribute in any way I can.

http://blacksportsonline.com/home/2013/02/bso-interview-howard-linebacker-keith-pough-is-ready-for-nfl-competition/

steeldevil
02-22-2013, 07:31 AM
I dont like taking runningbacks high, but I have seen over the last few years what Gio Bernard is capable of and am starting to really want him. Is there any chance at all he lasts til the 3rd round for us?

Dwinsgames
02-22-2013, 11:45 AM
If it ends up that Cooper is our guy I would expect us to try to trade out of the 17 spot. Right now I don't see him as a mid first round pick, but not likely to make it to us in the second. I would not be unhappy with that pick. Good call Dwins.

Cooper, Pouncey, DeCastro on the inside. Just got a bit of a grin on my face.

Or might it be Pouncey, Cooper, DeCastro.

I would not be happy with the pick at 17 either but in the second round I am in love with the pick , as you said with a trio of Cooper , Pouncy and Decastro that is a formidable bunch for the next decade an interior line like we have not seen in a long long time ( maybe ever if it pans out as expected ) Guards are not a hot commodity in the first round unless its a super human like player and even then we do not see many drafted that early .... there is hope he could be there in round 2 ( and I pray he is )

Texasteel
02-22-2013, 03:02 PM
LT - Kolb, LG - Davis, C - Webster, RG - Clack/Mullens/Courson, RT - Brown...... Thats the only line that comes to my mind. That interior did a pretty good job for us in the 70s

Texasteel
02-22-2013, 03:42 PM
Looking at some of the names mentioned in the last couple of days, how about this possiblity. KC falls in love with a QB and 17,,,,, we get the first pick in both the 2nd and 3rd rounds. Then our draft starts like this.

2-a. Jonathan Cooper OG
2-b. Eddie lacy, or Giovani Bernard RB
3-a. Phillip Thomas FS
3-b. Keith Pough OLB

Count Steeler
02-22-2013, 04:02 PM
Looking at some of the names mentioned in the last couple of days, how about this possiblity. KC falls in love with a QB and 17,,,,, we get the first pick in both the 2nd and 3rd rounds. Then our draft starts like this.

2-a. Jonathan Cooper OG
3-a. Phillip Thomas FS
3-b. Keith Pough OLB

It sure is nice to dream. That would just set us up for another couple of years. I really hope the FO is ready to make some deals to fall back in the draft.

steeldevil
02-22-2013, 04:22 PM

2-a. Jonathan Cooper OG
3-a. Phillip Thomas FS
3-b. Keith Pough OLB

Even though they are tar holes, getting Cooper and Bernard would be great.

3 of those picks are big needs and with the OL getting injured like it is I wouldn't complain about an OL pick. Especially one that would be a great zone blocker in our supposed new zone blocking scheme.

Add a wr and dl and qb Sean Renfree from Duke in the 7th and point me to where I sign off on it!

st33lersguy
02-22-2013, 11:02 PM

2-a. Jonathan Cooper OG
3-a. Phillip Thomas FS
3-b. Keith Pough OLB

Normally, I am not a fan of trading out of the first round, but if there is no value at OLB at pick #17, I would prefer the Steelers trade down to the upper 2nd round in a suitable range for a top RB to get a top RB without reaching and get more picks. Just wondering, would Bernard be acceptable at one of the top 5 picks in the2nd round?

Dwinsgames
02-22-2013, 11:44 PM
Normally, I am not a fan of trading out of the first round, but if there is no value at OLB at pick #17, I would prefer the Steelers trade down to the upper 2nd round in a suitable range for a top RB to get a top RB without reaching and get more picks. Just wondering, would Bernard be acceptable at one of the top 5 picks in the2nd round?

he will be there , but if they pick him as their first selection I will throw up in my mouth a little ....

that is not intended to be a knock on you or the player but is more of a disdain for selecting a player at a pos that has more depth ( and the difference in quality being less than at other spots ) I believe you will be able to find quality RBs for a zone blocking team ( which we will be in 2013 ) deep into the 3rd round and when we have so many needs at pos . such as ILB, OLB , and S and potentially CB too and on Offence we we potentially will be down 4 players from last years roster on the line a WR and RB thus we need help there too .....taking a player like Bernard early and killing your ability to get a play maker at one of the other spots because of it would not be a good move ... 3rd round will still have a few very good RBs for this system .....

have a long look at Stephan Taylor , Le'Veon Bell , Kenyon Barner all well suited for zone blocking schemes and will be available at a lessor cost on draft day allowing us to fill other needs early with guys who also can make an impact and a little later guys like Knile Davis and Mike Gillislee should still be on the board ( probably round 4 guys ) ...again I was not trying to sound rude with the opening comment , its just how I feel on the issue ...

I know earlier I talked about Lacy in the second , but that is before we hired a new O-Line coach and talk of a chance in philosophy in our blocking schemes came into play and then looking at the lineman that will be gone ( instead of might be gone ) I had a change of heart on what I was looking for in a RB in terms of style of play that will best suit a zone blocking scheme

/cheers

SteelerFanInStl
02-23-2013, 08:21 AM
he will be there , but if they pick him as their first selection I will throw up in my mouth a little ....

that is not intended to be a knock on you or the player but is more of a disdain for selecting a player at a pos that has more depth ( and the difference in quality being less than at other spots ) I believe you will be able to find quality RBs for a zone blocking team ( which we will be in 2013 ) deep into the 3rd round and when we have so many needs at pos . such as ILB, OLB , and S and potentially CB too and on Offence we we potentially will be down 4 players from last years roster on the line a WR and RB thus we need help there too .....taking a player like Bernard early and killing your ability to get a play maker at one of the other spots because of it would not be a good move ... 3rd round will still have a few very good RBs for this system .....

have a long look at Stephan Taylor , Le'Veon Bell , Kenyon Barner all well suited for zone blocking schemes and will be available at a lessor cost on draft day allowing us to fill other needs early with guys who also can make an impact and a little later guys like Knile Davis and Mike Gillislee should still be on the board ( probably round 4 guys ) ...again I was not trying to sound rude with the opening comment , its just how I feel on the issue ...

I know earlier I talked about Lacy in the second , but that is before we hired a new O-Line coach and talk of a chance in philosophy in our blocking schemes came into play and then looking at the lineman that will be gone ( instead of might be gone ) I had a change of heart on what I was looking for in a RB in terms of style of play that will best suit a zone blocking scheme

/cheers

I with you. I don't want to see a RB before the 3rd. There's plenty of depth at that position to get a real quality guy at that time.

Texasteel
02-23-2013, 02:04 PM

2-a. Jonathan Cooper OG
3-a. Phillip Thomas FS
3-b. Keith Pough OLB

OK,,,, making a couple adjustments from what we've been saying. Since we have alread interviewed the WR I'm going to plug Woods into the 2b slot. and pick a 3rd round RB.

I've only watched Woods play a couple of times, But from what I have seen and read, he may by one of the more play ready WRs in the draft. Has good hands and is a very good route runner.

I'm not really excited with what I have seen,,, and read,,, in the RBs that should go in the 4th round. I do like Stepfan Taylor and think he could excel in out new blocking scheme. SOOOOOOO, I am going to roll the dice on Phillip Thomas and Keith Pough and push them back one spot...... Actually its not that big of a gamble, YET, on Thomas and Pough. Going into the combine this where there are figured to go.

2-a. Jonathan Cooper OG
2-b. Robert Woods WR
3-a. Stepfan Taylor RB
3-b. Phillip Thomas FS
4 . Keith Pough OLB

st33lersguy
02-23-2013, 03:03 PM
The OLB class is so top heavy that if one of the upper 1st rounders fell to #17, the Steelers should waste little time drafting the player

st33lersguy
02-23-2013, 08:09 PM
Manti Te'o also needs to be considered. I know most guys don't want him just because of that hoax that he was victimized by and one bad game (something every player has) but the Steelers need a playmaker and leadership, two areas the Steelers need and two areas Te'o can provide (yes he is a good leader who helped fuel Notre Dame to a perfect regular season)

Shoes
02-23-2013, 10:45 PM
Manti Te'o also needs to be considered. I know most guys don't want him just because of that hoax that he was victimized by and one bad game (something every player has) but the Steelers need a playmaker and leadership, two areas the Steelers need and two areas Te'o can provide (yes he is a good leader who helped fuel Notre Dame to a perfect regular season)

I'd gladly take him over the DUI/Dope head sluggards.

Texasteel
02-23-2013, 11:26 PM
The OLB class is so top heavy that if one of the upper 1st rounders fell to #17, the Steelers should waste little time drafting the player

I've been watching the possible slid of Jones for a while. Wishful thinking has me thinking that it may happen, not likely IMO, but it could. First there is the health concurnes, secondly Jones is not a work out demon. The combine, and pro-day may not win him any frends. I have read recently the at lease 3 teams have placed a red flag next to his name. Here's hoping that no one bothers to look at any more game films and notices that the young man can actually play some football. He may be a bit of a gamble, but at 17, a gamble that could pay off big.

Shoes
02-23-2013, 11:47 PM
I've been watching the possible slid of Jones for a while. Wishful thinking has me thinking that it may happen, not likely IMO, but it could. First there is the health concurnes, secondly Jones is not a work out demon. The combine, and pro-day may not win him any frends. I have read recently the at lease 3 teams have placed a red flag next to his name. Here's hoping that no one bothers to look at any more game films and notices that the young man can actually play some football. He may be a bit of a gamble, but at 17, a gamble that could pay off big.

Tex, I've been watching highlights of him and he sure has a knack for stripping players of the ball.

SteelerFanInStl
02-24-2013, 09:52 AM

Jones is not at the combine so they'll only see him at his pro day.

I've seen him mocked anywhere from #2 to late in the first so it's really hard to tell where he'll go. I love the way he plays and having him drop to us would be unbelievable. He looks like the perfect 3-4 OLBer.

Dwinsgames
02-24-2013, 10:39 AM

Following

https://twimg0-a.akamaihd.net/profile_images/362418918/meandsammy_003_normal.jpgJames C Wexell‏@jimwexell (https://twitter.com/jimwexell)

Jarvis Jones, r u more comfortable in a 4-3? "I am. I love playing in a 4-3, outside linebacker."

Reply (https://twitter.com/jimwexell/status/305439483199881216#)
Retweeted (https://twitter.com/jimwexell/status/305439483199881216#)
Favorite (https://twitter.com/jimwexell/status/305439483199881216#)
More (https://twitter.com/jimwexell/status/305439483199881216#)

that may influence some teams to take pause ... it did me , I do not know him as a person so I do not know how adamant he is to remain a 4-3 player , I do not know first hand his work ethic or what his attitude would be towards making a change , I also do not know his medical chart intimately , yes he has some Med red flags but the degree of those can only be determined by medical professionals in which I am not .....

Fantastic prospect esp as a 3-4 OLB but on paper does not always tell the whole story and that is what teams are chomping at the bit to find out and we will not know for certain until April the conclusion of those teams , Mock drafts will not have the necessary information to process him ( or any player with question marks in regard to medical red flags or off field issues ) with any degree of certainty

just something to keep in mind when looking at mocks

Texasteel
02-24-2013, 11:56 AM

that may influence some teams to take pause ... it did me , I do not know him as a person so I do not know how adamant he is to remain a 4-3 player , I do not know first hand his work ethic or what his attitude would be towards making a change , I also do not know his medical chart intimately , yes he has some Med red flags but the degree of those can only be determined by medical professionals in which I am not .....

Fantastic prospect esp as a 3-4 OLB but on paper does not always tell the whole story and that is what teams are chomping at the bit to find out and we will not know for certain until April the conclusion of those teams , Mock drafts will not have the necessary information to process him ( or any player with question marks in regard to medical red flags or off field issues ) with any degree of certainty

just something to keep in mind when looking at mocks

This is so true bud. This same statment could be said about most if not all of the kids in this draft. Mock drafts are no more than projections of what someone thinks MIGHT happen. Guesses, and thoughts, and sometimes hopes, nothing more. Few, if any, know what the teams are thinking, or what information they may have. Thats what makes it so much fun. Any one of us could be right,,,,,,, or wrong.

I thought that Jones was at the combine,,, not to work out, but only for interviews, and to be looked at by the medical staff. This may work out fine for him since the questions about him are not his talent, but his health, and work ethics. It may come down to a teams Dr. making this pick more than anyone else.

stillers4me
02-24-2013, 12:59 PM
James C Wexell‏@jimwexell
#Steelers (http://www.steelersuniverse.com/search?q=%23Steelers&src=hash) have scheduled a formal interview tonight with Texas first-round safety Kenny Vaccaro.

Dwinsgames
02-24-2013, 01:03 PM
James C Wexell‏@jimwexell
#Steelers (http://www.steelersuniverse.com/search?q=%23Steelers&src=hash) have scheduled a formal interview tonight with Texas first-round safety Kenny Vaccaro.

literally was about to post that myself .... LLT is smiling from ear to ear on the word of that coming out :)

SteelerFanInStl
02-24-2013, 03:42 PM
I thought that Jones was at the combine,,, not to work out, but only for interviews, and to be looked at by the medical staff. This may work out fine for him since the questions about him are not his talent, but his health, and work ethics. It may come down to a teams Dr. making this pick more than anyone else.

I believe that you're correct. I should have said that he wasn't going to work out at the combine.

Texasteel
02-24-2013, 11:32 PM
Been reading a few of the rumor mills today, and there may be another name we need to be discussing.

Ezekiel Ansah ( nicname Ziggy ) DE from BYU. A 6'6" kid with just a couple years of football experiance. Most I have read think that at 275 he could play OLB very nicely, or put on a couple lbs. to line up on the outside of a 3-4 line. Ansah was figured to fall in the mid teens, but from I am reading has turned a few heads lately. Rumor has it that the Steelers have been interested in this young man for some time, and may have fallen in love with the kid of late. May have to put up with some rookie mistakes, but sound like a very quick learner, that can be coached. Smile Dick, Smile.

I have not watched one BYU game ( damit ) and would love the hear from someone that has actually see him play.

By the way, I just checked and we did interview Ansah

Dwinsgames
02-24-2013, 11:39 PM
I think he could play OLB .... here is a good spot to catch up on him a bit ( number 47 )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMtBmOdYsqo

Aussie_steeler
02-25-2013, 03:50 AM
Cant recall the name of the GM who said it but Warmack and Cooper are rated by most as better prospects than DeCastro.

I can see Cooper going top 15 after his combine work.

Star Lotulelei was sent home from the combine due to heart valve irregularity. Not sure what this does to his stocks as he will likely need surgery to fix his problems.

He could well slide out of the top 10.

Zeke Ansah is a Bill Parcells Planet theory type of guy. He will be overdrafted due to his measurables. I could see him end up in the top 10.

Usually I have a clearer picture at this point in time, however I am so mixed with my thoughts at the moment. This class of first rounders is pretty even across the board and interviews are going to play a huge role this year.

Outside the first round I like:
Christine Michael (RB) has performed pretty well so far. I like him a lot as a mid round RB. Bit disappointed in how a favourite RB of mine ran, Joseph Randle didnt look as quick as his tape indicated.

I really liked Gavin Escobar (TE) in the catching drills. He has unbelievable hands and looked like he could grab any ball out of the air. Unfortunately his stock is rising.

Texasteel
02-25-2013, 04:35 AM
Hi Aussie, been a while.
I'm thinking that Cooper will not make it past the line starved cowboys. If the Steelers want him they may have to pull the trigger at 17. I don't think he will go before that, but who knows.
I can see Lotulelei sliding way down the chart, when you say heart problems I can see a red flag coming out of a lot of teams pockets.
Anash may have worked his way past our pick. There seems to be a lot of people talking about him, but I still have hopes for Jones.
If we do use the 17 pick it could very well be Vaccaro, or the OT Johnson. I know that they have interviews Johnson at the combines, and OTs are normally value higher than OGs.

SteelerFanInStl
02-25-2013, 07:55 AM
Ansah seems more like a 4-3 DE to me. I don't see him as an OLBer.

Steeltreal
02-25-2013, 09:19 AM
We would lead the league in 'ziggys' if we drafted Ansah

GBMelBlount
02-25-2013, 09:49 AM
Looks like the draft is loaded with 1st round grade defensive ends. IF any of them fall to late late 2nd or 3rd round would it be worth considering? Also wondering if any of them could be linebacker material...I saw Montgomery from LSU has very good speed.

2 *Bjoern Werner DE 1 Florida State Jr 6-3 266 1
4 *Damontre Moore DE 2 Texas A&M Jr 6-4 250 1
9 *Barkevious Mingo DE 3 LSU rJr 6-4 241 1
16 Ezekiel Ansah DE 4 Brigham Young Sr 6-5 271 1
21 Datone Jones DE 5 UCLA rSr 6-4 283 1
25 Alex Okafor DE 6 Texas Sr 6-4 264 1
26 Dion Jordan DE 7 Oregon rSr 6-6 248 1
32 *Sam Montgomery DE 8 LSU rJr 6-3 262 1-2

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings/2013/DE

Dwinsgames
02-25-2013, 11:04 AM
slight changes

2A Jonathan Cooper OG
2B David Amerson DB
3A Nico Johnson ILB
3B Knile Davis RB
3C Shawn Williams S
4 Brad Sorenson QB
5 Bruce Taylor LB
6 Micah Hyde DB
6b Brandon Williams DE
7 Lamar Mandy OG

st33lersguy
02-25-2013, 03:04 PM
Was Ansah productive in college or is he just a raw athlete. I've heard reports that he was more of a raw athlete.

Dwinsgames
02-25-2013, 03:37 PM
Was Ansah productive in college or is he just a raw athlete. I've heard reports that he was more of a raw athlete.

you tell me he has nearly identical stats to Dion Jordan who is celebrated for his numbers yet Ansah is questioned on his ....

Texasteel
02-25-2013, 03:54 PM

He is raw, he is actually a soccer star that decides to give football a try 3 years ago, but like Dwins stated still had some pretty good numbers. In 2012 he had 62 tackles, 13 for a lose, 4.5 sacks, and 9 QB pressures. He played all over the field including OLB. He is being compared to Jason Pierre-Paul.

He has huge hands, long arms, and is know as very strong.

Dwinsgames
02-25-2013, 04:02 PM
when it is all said and done , he may not even be on the board at 17 , his athletic ability , high motor and constant improvement along with field awareness and play diagnosis with such little experience will have him moving up many draft boards ....

his 4.62 -40 time will also open some eyes for a man who weighed in at 274 pounds ( .18 faster than the 40 pound lighter Te'o ) and faster than quite a few RBs the combine hosted this year ....
can he play OLB in the 3-4 ... I think without reservation that is a Yes , size . speed , power ratio is exceptional and lets not forget his 1.56 split shows his explosion off the ball

LLT
02-26-2013, 03:27 AM
ILB Jon Bostic of Florida and OLB Jamie Collins of Southern Miss ...made themselves some money also.

Texasteel
02-27-2013, 09:28 PM
Just read that as many as 12 teams have taken Jones off their draft boards. Will be interested to see if we bring him in for a private work out.

Dwinsgames
02-27-2013, 09:36 PM
Just read that as many as 12 teams have taken Jones off their draft boards. Will be interested to see if we bring him in for a private work out.

great talent that I read some teams have advised him to hang em up .... that being said it makes me wonder just how bad it is , considering I read via twitter from a local sportswriter Jones stated he was cleared by medical staff ....

not sure what to make of it really ....

will this be another Da'quan Bowers like situation or will he fall even further or even be drafted at all ?? or will he go in the top 10 as many have projected ??

this is probably a case that won't clearly unfold until april and we will all find out together

Texasteel
02-27-2013, 10:45 PM
great talent that I read some teams have advised him to hang em up .... that being said it makes me wonder just how bad it is , considering I read via twitter from a local sportswriter Jones stated he was cleared by medical staff ....

not sure what to make of it really ....

will this be another Da'quan Bowers like situation or will he fall even further or even be drafted at all ?? or will he go in the top 10 as many have projected ??

this is probably a case that won't clearly unfold until april and we will all find out together

I have a feeling that if he is invited to visit a team he will spend more time with the medical staff than the coaching staff.

LLT
03-15-2013, 03:04 AM
Lots of Craziness this time of year...and any given players draft status is "fluid" at best.

Just wanted to throw out a possible 7 round mock draft that is a little different than my usual thinking but intriquing none the less.

1) WR Tavon Austin West Virginia 5'9 174
I think that Brown and Sanders are legitimate X and Z recievers. Austin would immedietly become our slot reciever and create incredible mismatches across the middle with his 4.3 speed. he would also fit in nicely on ST's as a returner...taking the place of the departed Chris Rainey.

2) CB/S David Amerson North Carolina State 6'1 205
Ive been late getting on the Amerson band wagon but he is a legitimate talent. There is IS a chance that he may bounce into the last part of the 1st round or the beginning of the 2nd round, but as of now this is where he is ranked and would be a strong 2nd round pick that could be the future replacement for Taylor.

3) RB Montee Ball Wisconsin 5'11 214
Not the fastest back in this draft and doesnt possess the size that will remind anyone of Bettis, but what he does have is a resume that is almost unequaled in NCAA history. Elite filed vision and fantastic change of direction ability, Ball finds the hole quickly but is also patient enough to let his blocks develope. It would be nice to see a player in our backfield that isnt spinning or dancing in place.

4) OLB Corey Lemonier Auburn 6'3 255
Former DE for a very bad Auburn team, but translates into a OLB for the Steelers. Ran a 4.6 forty at the combine and has the atheticism to patrol the flat and cover TE's. Might be telling that he did position drills at Auburns Proday, led by Pittsburgh Steelers linebacker coach Keith Butler.

5) ILB A.J. Klein Iowa State 6'1 250
Very underrated player that scouts have traditionally thought lacked "athleticism" in spite of his impressive on-field performance. Some of those doubts were erased at the combine and the rest should dissapear for anyone who watches his gametape.

6) SS Earl Wolff North Carolina State 5'11 209
I would love to reunite Wolff and fellow North Carolina St. defensive back David Amerson into our defense. Wolff opened eyes at the Shrine game, showing great range and speed. Another underrated player that would be a sixth round steal. Athletic...instinctive...and a wrap up tackler.

7) OG Earl Watford James Madison 6'3 300
Team captain and best O'lineman for James Madison...earned four top team All-America honors. Watford is a competitor with good footwork and good balance. 7th round picks are a crapshoot, but Watford is a developmental player that has starter potential in time.

Dwinsgames
03-15-2013, 11:08 AM
Lots of Craziness this time of year...and any given players draft status is "fluid" at best.

Just wanted to throw out a possible 7 round mock draft that is a little different than my usual thinking but intriquing none the less.

1) WR Tavon Austin West Virginia 5'9 174
I think that Brown and Sanders are legitimate X and Z recievers. Austin would immedietly become our slot reciever and create incredible mismatches across the middle with his 4.3 speed. he would also fit in nicely on ST's as a returner...taking the place of the departed Chris Rainey.

2) CB/S David Amerson North Carolina State 6'1 205
Ive been late getting on the Amerson band wagon but he is a legitimate talent. There is IS a chance that he may bounce into the last part of the 1st round or the beginning of the 2nd round, but as of now this is where he is ranked and would be a strong 2nd round pick that could be the future replacement for Taylor.

3) RB Montee Ball Wisconsin 5'11 214
Not the fastest back in this draft and doesnt possess the size that will remind anyone of Bettis, but what he does have is a resume that is almost unequaled in NCAA history. Elite filed vision and fantastic change of direction ability, Ball finds the hole quickly but is also patient enough to let his blocks develope. It would be nice to see a player in our backfield that isnt spinning or dancing in place.

4) OLB Corey Lemonier Auburn 6'3 255
Former DE for a very bad Auburn team, but translates into a OLB for the Steelers. Ran a 4.6 forty at the combine and has the atheticism to patrol the flat and cover TE's. Might be telling that he did position drills at Auburns Proday, led by Pittsburgh Steelers linebacker coach Keith Butler.

5) ILB A.J. Klein Iowa State 6'1 250
Very underrated player that scouts have traditionally thought lacked "athleticism" in spite of his impressive on-field performance. Some of those doubts were erased at the combine and the rest should dissapear for anyone who watches his gametape.

6) SS Earl Wolff North Carolina State 5'11 209
I would love to reunite Wolff and fellow North Carolina St. defensive back David Amerson into our defense. Wolff opened eyes at the Shrine game, showing great range and speed. Another underrated player that would be a sixth round steal. Athletic...instinctive...and a wrap up tackler.

7) OG Earl Watford James Madison 6'3 300
Team captain and best O'lineman for James Madison...earned four top team All-America honors. Watford is a competitor with good footwork and good balance. 7th round picks are a crapshoot, but Watford is a developmental player that has starter potential in time.

love it all except Austin just feel he will have a short career in the NFL due to lack of size , he will take a literal beating going over the middle at the next level ...

Welcome to the David Amerson fan club , take a seat and make yourself at home .. I think Amerson can play ANY pos . in the def backfield and early reps will be easy to come by because of it

Great call on Wolff I have been looking at him as well ...

Shoes
03-15-2013, 09:44 PM
Nice stuff, LLT!

Texasteel
03-15-2013, 10:43 PM
Love the the draft buddy, including Austin, but think 17 may be a bit early. Like Dwins stated he is a bit small and that could push him down in the draft. How about we try to trade down to say 25 and see if we can pick up a 3rd and 4th round pick. Then we could grab my guy Brian Schwenke OC/OG in the 3rd and then possably pick a player like TJ McDonald, a FS that seems to be on the slide, or David Quessenberry, a OT that might fit right into a team wanting to switch to a zone blocking scheme.

Texasteel
03-15-2013, 11:19 PM
Monkey Wrench guys.................... Just read that Sanders signed an offer sheet with NNNNNNew Engggg, New Enggggg,,,,,,,,,,, I just can't say it.

LLT
03-16-2013, 02:58 PM
If that's the case, you can scratch Austin...start looking at Z receivers in the first.

Dwinsgames
03-17-2013, 06:23 PM
this is what I have come up with IF we lose Sanders ......

1) Cordarrelle Patterson, WR, Tennessee

2) David Amerson, S/CB, N.C. State

3) Knile Davis, RB, Arkansas

3) Da'Rick Rogers WR Tennessee Tech

4) T.J. McDonald, S, USC

5) Chase Thomas, DE/OLB, Stanford

6) Michael Mauti, ILB, Penn State

6) Kenjon Barner RB Oregon

7) Bruce Taylor LB Virginia Tech

and I suspect all of these guys would make the roster in 2013 and probably atleast 3 would start with all of them making a contribution on ST or spot duty

st33lersguy
03-17-2013, 06:40 PM
this is what I have come up with IF we lose Sanders ......

1) Cordarrelle Patterson, WR, Tennessee

No thank you, I would rather have the Steelers draft a real football player than an athlete in a football uniform. One mediocre season at the FBS level? No thank you, hope he's off the clock at pick 17.

Shoes
03-17-2013, 07:44 PM
Dwins, I like Mauti, the kid likes popping people!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QZIQW918_o

Shoes
03-17-2013, 09:02 PM
Knile Davis looks pretty good too. I really like this kid...super quick feet!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tV6hW2ggiO4

Dwinsgames
03-17-2013, 10:43 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYI7gwHQ07g

Kenjon Barner 2012

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vx6pGFvDqt0

Patterson 2012

Texasteel
03-18-2013, 12:18 AM
Knile Davis looks pretty good too. I really like this kid...super quick feet!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tV6hW2ggiO4

Davis is good, very good. Only problem? He has had ankle problems all the way back into high school. Still worth a gamble if he doesn't go to high.

Dwinsgames
03-18-2013, 09:42 AM
Davis is good, very good. Only problem? He has had ankle problems all the way back into high school. Still worth a gamble if he doesn't go to high.

yea he is a high risk/reward player but I feel he is worth the gamble esp if we could manage a built in insurance policy like I proposed in that mock ( Barner in the 6th ) ....

we need multiple picks at several spots LB . RB . DB . WR because we potentially lack a starter or are 1 injury away from needing one in each of those cases ...

this draft was to replace our losses and increase the talent pool of the depth in those areas ... I think that was accomplished with that mock ( should have typed the motive out with the mock itself )

Texasteel
03-18-2013, 11:47 AM
yea he is a high risk/reward player but I feel he is worth the gamble esp if we could manage a built in insurance policy like I proposed in that mock ( Barner in the 6th ) ....

we need multiple picks at several spots LB . RB . DB . WR because we potentially lack a starter or are 1 injury away from needing one in each of those cases ...

this draft was to replace our losses and increase the talent pool of the depth in those areas ... I think that was accomplished with that mock ( should have typed the motive out with the mock itself )

And thats why you, I, and a few others have been hoping for a trade down. I still see this as a draft heavy in the 2nd, 3rd, and even 4th rounds. Heavy enough that a few 2nd rounders will go in the 1st.

I liked your draft bud, not sure about Chase Thomas, haven't watched him, and are starting to read some questions about him, but we are talking 5th round. Like the Rogers pick, hope he can keep his attitude strait, Love the Mauti gamble, and are willing to roll the dice on Davis. Also I for one think the Patterson pick make a lot of sence. I think the Steelers may be blowing smoke about picking a QB this year, next year makes more sence to me.

Very nice job.

Dwinsgames
03-19-2013, 04:13 PM
FA has settled down and with every passing day it
becomes more likly
to me anyways that Sanders will remain with the team ,
sure there is still a chance
some team will snatch him up
but I believe it becomes less and less likely
the closer we move towards the draft ....

Still trading down and then out of the
first round to obtain the most
picks to address our team needs

Trading back twice to move out of round 1
being the caviet Gaining
a second and third round pick as compensation

3d) will be if Sanders is stolen away

.................................................. ................

2) David Amerson, S/CB, N.C. State

2b) Kevin Minter, ILB, LSU

3) Knile Davis, RB, Arkansas

3b) Da'Rick Rogers WR Tennessee Tech

3c) John Simon OLB Ohio St

3d) Brian Schwenke C/G Cal

4) T.J. McDonald, S, USC

5) Aaron Dobson wr Marshall

6) Michael Mauti, ILB, Penn State

6b) Kenjon Barner RB Oregon

7) Bruce Taylor LB Virginia Tech

Steeltreal
03-19-2013, 09:21 PM
Heres a scenario Rams are on the clock ,Jarvis Jones is still there, are the Steelers still on trade phones or just hanging up? Is there at least a dozen prospects on the board thats gonna make it hard to pass on cuz someones falling to 17, and teams will reach before we pick.

Dwinsgames
03-19-2013, 09:32 PM
Heres a scenario Rams are on the clock ,Jarvis Jones is still there, are the Steelers still on trade phones or just hanging up? Is there at least a dozen prospects on the board thats gonna make it hard to pass on cuz someones falling to 17, and teams will reach before we pick.

no doubt there will be a good player at 17 but , is that player better than what you get when you trade back and get a player from 35-39 area along with another at mid /late 40s and another in the early 70s combined ( plus our own selections in round 2 and 3 ) when you have a lot of holes and are up against the cap the best way to fill out a roster is additional draft picks on the cheap for 4 years to clear that cap space for the time you need to resign them ....

I doubt it happens as I would try and make it happen if it where me in charge but I can not help but feel it is the best route to take both short and long term

LLT
03-21-2013, 06:13 AM

There is a VERY good chance that a player like Bjoern Werner will slide to #17. If we dont trade down....staying at #17 is a much stronger scenerio than trading up.

Texasteel
03-21-2013, 11:40 AM
no doubt there will be a good player at 17 but , is that player better than what you get when you trade back and get a player from 35-39 area along with another at mid /late 40s and another in the early 70s combined ( plus our own selections in round 2 and 3 ) when you have a lot of holes and are up against the cap the best way to fill out a roster is additional draft picks on the cheap for 4 years to clear that cap space for the time you need to resign them ....

I doubt it happens as I would try and make it happen if it where me in charge but I can not help but feel it is the best route to take both short and long term

#39--- David Amerson,,,, #48---- Zach Ertz,,,, #73----Jamie Collins

How does that sound to you. Might even think about trying to trade our 2nd rounder into the 3rd and see what else we could pick up.

Shoes
03-21-2013, 02:06 PM
There is a VERY good chance that a player like Bjoern Werner will slide to #17. If we dont trade down....staying at #17 is a much stronger scenerio than trading up.

Dang he looks good too! What do you guys think?

Steeltreal
03-21-2013, 02:17 PM
Dang he looks good too! What do you guys think?

Cameron Heyward was dominant in college but DE is different with our 3-4, I cant gauge him,

LLT
03-21-2013, 11:14 PM
Cameron Heyward was dominant in college but DE is different with our 3-4, I cant gauge him,

At 6'3 266 lbs, I think we would look at him as an OLB.

Werner, a native of Berlin, Germany, was a defensive end for the Seminoles but showed off his versatility by running linebacker drills. "I got good feedback from a few coaches," http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=113590&draftyear=2013&genpos=DE

steelerdude15
03-22-2013, 11:03 AM
Quick question. It seems that Jarvis Jones had a bad pro day. Does this hurt his draft stock and do you think it makes him slide down more? I think it gives us a better chance to draft him. Here's the article from nfl.com:http://http://m.nfl.com/news/0ap1000000152723/

Steeltreal
03-22-2013, 11:32 AM
Keenan Allen is my falling player to catch. Considering Zach Maynard was his QB, the guy could only throw to half the field. The way Ben breaks down DBs buying time combined with Allens route running could be lethal. As soon as he catches the ball he turns it upfield and picks up every yard he can get.

Phillip Thomas would be my second round selection.

st33lersguy
03-22-2013, 11:37 AM
With the depth at OLB, one should be available and I think the Steelers must draft the one that falls to them. If all of them happen to be gone, get Kenny Vaccarro if he is availbe and trade down if he isn't

steelerdude15
03-22-2013, 12:00 PM
With the depth at OLB, one should be available and I think the Steelers must draft the one that falls to them. If all of them happen to be gone, get Kenny Vaccarro if he is availbe and trade down if he isn't

Some think that there are better safeties in this draft. I think Vaccarro is one of the best in this draft and reminds me a lot of Troy. His interception numbers are low I believe so that would be a concern for me because I personally want a ballhawk at safety.

Dwinsgames
03-22-2013, 01:47 PM
Some think that there are better safeties in this draft. I think Vaccarro is one of the best in this draft and reminds me a lot of Troy. His interception numbers are low I believe so that would be a concern for me because I personally want a ballhawk at safety.

truth be told a S is going to be limited in his ability to help the team baring injury in 2013 , that is partly why I have vacated my early thoughts of a first round S and have impart been so high on David Amerson in round 2 , he has the ability to play ANY pos in the def backfield at a high level and because of that could be a 2013 impact player on def because he would not necessarily have to start to get plenty of reps and he too can create turnovers .... 18 or 19 Ints in his collegiate career

Texasteel
03-23-2013, 01:24 PM
One name I haven't seen mentioned is Star Letuelei. Since his medical discovery at the combines I have seen his name bounce up and down the draft chart. Seems like no one has a good handle on him right now. He has done nothing but show that he could be one of the best D-linemen in the NFL since the combine problems. Before the combines, he showed that he could play with the best of them at a school that seems to have a habit of putting out some pretty good NFL players. He has one more medical screening on the,,,,,,,,,,,, 6th and 7th of April, I think. Anyone have any ideas on this kid? Even if he gets a clean bill of health might his draft situation not fully recover, and what if they comes out of the second medical exam with a more questions?

Dwinsgames
03-23-2013, 02:15 PM
I think if he gets a clean bill of health he is a top 8 pick , if he does not get that clean bill of health I do not touch him so for me anyways ... he just is not a factor because if healthy he is long gone , if not healthy you wouldn't really want him anyways

LLT
03-25-2013, 03:00 AM
One name I haven't seen mentioned is Star Letuelei. Since his medical discovery at the combines I have seen his name bounce up and down the draft chart. Seems like no one has a good handle on him right now. He has done nothing but show that he could be one of the best D-linemen in the NFL since the combine problems. Before the combines, he showed that he could play with the best of them at a school that seems to have a habit of putting out some pretty good NFL players. He has one more medical screening on the,,,,,,,,,,,, 6th and 7th of April, I think. Anyone have any ideas on this kid? Even if he gets a clean bill of health might his draft situation not fully recover, and what if they comes out of the second medical exam with a more questions?

He might not make it past the Raiders....but most likely they grab Floyd and we see Letuelei drafted by Miami at #10 or the Bucs at #13

Texasteel
03-25-2013, 08:14 PM
Close to one month guys, time to get things straight in our minds.

I would still like to have 2 2nd round picks, and 3 3rd round picks, but I'm not counting on it.

1 - Barkevious Mingo, OLB, Quick off the edge, with the speed to flush the QB, then bring him down. Down year in 2012 with 38 TT, 8.5 TFL, 4.5 Sacks. A lot of upside to this kid.

2 - Zack Ertz, TE, Good hands, and runs well. Has trouble holding a block, need to work on his strength some. Ben has been getting more comfortable with the short to mid range game, and don't know when Heath comes back. No I am not off the Amerson wagon, but sometimes sacrifices need to be made.

3 - Da'Rick Rogers, WR, I'm a little hesitant about Rogers because of his attitude, but he does have 1st round talent and if the Steelers could keep his mind centered would be one heck of a pick.

4 - Knile Davis, RB, This is where I gamble on Davis. Hes fast, strong, and does most everything you ask him to do. Also a great team mate, a real nice young man.

5 - David Quessenberry, OT, Quick athetic OT that can play any line position if needed.

6a- Ricky Wagner, OT. Can't go wrong taking a Wesconsin OT. We do seem to be a little thin a OT.

6b- Earl Wolff, SS, How does a SS that runs a 4.45 make it to the 6th round. At lease I know there are 3 of us that like him.

7 - Marquess Wilson, WR, I just like this kid. Very productive player for Washington St.

st33lersguy
03-25-2013, 09:42 PM

I would still like to have 2 2nd round picks, and 3 3rd round picks, but I'm not counting on it.

1 - Barkevious Mingo, OLB, Quick off the edge, with the speed to flush the QB, then bring him down. Down year in 2012 with 38 TT, 8.5 TFL, 4.5 Sacks. A lot of upside to this kid.

2 - Zack Ertz, TE, Good hands, and runs well. Has trouble holding a block, need to work on his strength some. Ben has been getting more comfortable with the short to mid range game, and don't know when Heath comes back. No I am not off the Amerson wagon, but sometimes sacrifices need to be made.

3 - Da'Rick Rogers, WR, I'm a little hesitant about Rogers because of his attitude, but he does have 1st round talent and if the Steelers could keep his mind centered would be one heck of a pick.

4 - Knile Davis, RB, This is where I gamble on Davis. Hes fast, strong, and does most everything you ask him to do. Also a great team mate, a real nice young man.

5 - David Quessenberry, OT, Quick athetic OT that can play any line position if needed.

6a- Ricky Wagner, OT. Can't go wrong taking a Wesconsin OT. We do seem to be a little thin a OT.

6b- Earl Wolff, SS, How does a SS that runs a 4.45 make it to the 6th round. At lease I know there are 3 of us that like him.

7 - Marquess Wilson, WR, I just like this kid. Very productive player for Washington St.

No safety until round 6? Safety and RB are more important than TE

Texasteel
03-25-2013, 11:10 PM

I just don't agree. We still have the two starting Safties, even if they are getting up there in years, and I think we have pretty capable backups. I don't see a TE I am comfortable starting till Heath gets back. Particularly with Ben seeming to be using the TE more. I know this mock is offencive heavy, but I just have more faith in the defencive players we have than the offencive. I thought all last year that the main problem we had was a lack of a pass rush, and I think Mingo would help with that.

Now if we trade out of the 1st round, like I'm hoping, you would see a safty. I like Amerson very much, I also like Shamarko Thomas, and Shawn Williams in the 3rd.

If I were to replace anyone in this particular mock draft with a Safty I don't think it would be Ertz, it would more likely be Rogers.

Dwinsgames
03-25-2013, 11:53 PM

I like it , love Ertz would love it even more with that trade down and out of the first but we never get everything we want ....

not sure I trade Amerson for Ertz but understand your logic ...

as for Ertz blocking not being the best if you think back neither was Millers at the same stage of his career but he developed that skill pretty rapidly once he got to Pittsburgh , not saying Ertz will be as good as Miller but with the right toolage I do believe he could improve pretty quickly ..

no word on Heaths recovery scares me , seems we should have heard something ANYTHING by now ... mum clearly has been the word on this one for whatever reason ....

Texasteel
03-26-2013, 12:13 AM
I'm starting to get a little nervous about Amerson being there when we pick in the second. The same damn thing happened a couple of years ago. A CB I wanted very much kept moving up and up, and got himself picked with the last pick in the 1st round. I hope that it turns out that he is, and IF he is I'm not sure I could pass on him either.

Texasteel
03-26-2013, 12:09 PM

OK guys,,,,,,, How about this. If Amerson is still on the board we take him in the second round. Then look at Travis Kelce in the 3rd,,, I am hearing that we are show some intrest in him. Then if Sanders leaves we spend that comp. pick on a WR. We should be able to get the sure handed WR Stedman Bailey with NEs 3rd round pick.

Shoes
03-26-2013, 02:04 PM
Have we traded down and out of first in the passed?

Texasteel
03-26-2013, 05:14 PM
I just read that the Steelers may have fallen in love with John Simon DE out of Ohio St. They see him as a Harrison type player. This would shed light on the Steelers writing off Harrisons return to the team. Simon figures to be a 2nd or 3rd round pick, so I am figuring that if true, we would take him with our 2nd round pick.

Now a trade down would make even more sense to me. If not I would think that WR Patterson, or FS Vaccaro would be attractive to them a 17.

Dwinsgames
03-26-2013, 05:51 PM
I just read that the Steelers may have fallen in love with John Simon DE out of Ohio St. They see him as a Harrison type player. This would shed light on the Steelers writing off Harrisons return to the team. Simon figures to be a 2nd or 3rd round pick, so I am figuring that if true, we would take him with our 2nd round pick.

Now a trade down would make even more sense to me. If not I would think that WR Patterson, or FS Vaccaro would be attractive to them a 17.

I like Simon , had him in one of my many mock scenarios and on my short list back in November or so I posted up here someplace ...

I would not be heart broken if they selected him

Texasteel
03-26-2013, 06:05 PM
I remember that Dwins, and that is what make this so much fun to me. To watch a kid like this, study him, read about him, then watch his name fall in line with your team. This is why some of us are into the draft year round. Guess I'm going to have to rewrite my mock using this information. LOL.

Dwinsgames
03-26-2013, 06:12 PM
I would trade everything to have 4 picks in the 2nd and 4 picks in the 3rd round ..... ( including the rights to Sanders and our comp pick if they would let us LOL ) most of the guys I am most interested in are going to be drafted in the 2nd and 3rd rounds respectively

Texasteel
03-26-2013, 06:27 PM
I would trade everything to have 4 picks in the 2nd and 4 picks in the 3rd round ..... ( including the rights to Sanders and our comp pick if they would let us LOL ) most of the guys I am most interested in are going to be drafted in the 2nd and 3rd rounds respectively

I with you bud. The 2nd and 3rd rounds are as deep as I have ever seen them, and IMO, the 1st round is very thin. There just seems to me that there is no seperation between the 1st and 2nd rounds, once you get past the 1st 10 or 12 picks. Is Patterson that much better than Rogers? Is Eiferts that much better than Ertz? I think the list could go on, and on.

Dwinsgames
03-26-2013, 07:30 PM
Have we traded down and out of first in the passed?

not since 1967 ...so look at it as a long shot , or maybe look at it as over due ? /shrug

st33lersguy
03-26-2013, 07:58 PM
http://www.walterfootball.com/draft2013reader_1.php

Walterfootball's reader mock for the Steelers is up, your chance to vote who should be the Steelers pick, up for a limited time

Steeltreal
03-26-2013, 08:02 PM
http://www.walterfootball.com/draft2013reader_1.php

Walterfootball's reader mock for the Steelers is up, your chance to vote who should be the Steelers pick, up for a limited timeDon't they know Ogletrees DUI pretty much eliminated him

Aussie_steeler
03-27-2013, 06:29 AM
I am so confused with who to take at 1.17 and see multiple holes in the roster that need to be addressed. I would love to see the following trade.

Trade down to late #1.31 ( San Francisco 49ers #1-17 equals #1-31, 2,29 and 3.12 49ers pull the trigger to take Kenny Vaccaro at 1.17 and at 2.2 they have happy to sit and wait for Tyler EIfert / Zach Ertz)

I also believe that Manny Sanders is retained. If he goes then pencil in at the end of Round 3 another WR

1.31 (SF) Matt Elam Florida SS

I would pass on Vaccaro to gain two extra picks. I personally like what I see from Elam or Cyprien at SS more than Vaccaro at FS. The role of SS is more critical in LeBeau’s system as a dynamo is needed to play the joker role in the box and within 10 yards of the line of scrimmage. FS has never been a high draft priority and I don’t see things changing. With Harrison released it is Jason Worilds time to shine. A first round OLB will be a concession that Worilds is not the man. That message has already been clarified.

2.16 Arthur Brown ILBKansas state

Larry Foote’s replacement will be drafted to be trained up over the next 2-3 seasons to become the new signal caller. Spence was going to be that man. There are no guarantees that Spence will ever see the field again unfortunately. Brown has been visited by steeler personnel so an interest is obviously present.

2.29 (SF)LeVeon Bell RB Michigan State

Big bodied 3 down back who the steelers have shown a real interest in. I still am a fan of Joseph Randle but I will concede that Bell is a better fit. Many have Bell as the best rated running backs whilst other have him as a 4th rounder. The scattier backs will go higher. Bell is the workhorse of the 2013 RB class.

3.12 (SF)Stedman Bailey WR West Virginia

Best slot receiver in the draft in my opinion. Everyone is going to pursue Tavon Austin ( and rightly so) but Bailey is not that much of a step down from him. He will do the hard work in the middle of the field.

3.17 Corey Lemonier OLB Auburn

Prototypical steeler OLB project. A dynamic DE that translates well into LeBeau’s OLB profile. Needs time to be taught how to play OLB. Will be starter material by the time Woodleys ridiculous contract becomes an albatross around the steelers neck.

4.18 Alvin Bailey OG Arkansas

Great guard prospect that will get lost in the jostle for teams fighting for skill position player. I like what I see on film with Bailey. Foster is a genuine swingman who is best coming in for some snaps from the bench. A true guard that will help open hole in the new Zone blocking scheme.

5.17 Terry Hawthorne CB

This is my steal of the draft for me. Prototypical size and speed for LeBeaus system.Has 4.40 speed and loves to step up against the run and put a lick on the ball carrier. Watch some tape and you will like what you see.

6.18 William Gholston DE Michigan State

First round talent two years ago. Over the past two years he has grown into the Gholston ( Vernon) name and his game has tapered off. You cannot teach 6’6 280, but you can teach technique and discipline. He is well worth a flyer at the 5 tech DE position. It seems like hundreds of DE’s have come through the system. Cant see why another one wont be tried.Joe Kruger from Utah is another name to consider here. He will be overdrafted on the back of his brothers reputation. I would much rather Kruger but he will be gone.

6 comp Daimion Stafford FS Nebraska

Decent free safety who could be a practice squad type player. The steelers only ever carry 4 safeties on the roster so two always seem to be carried on the practice squad to cover an injury callup.

7.17 Ryan Griffin QB Tulane

Take a flyer on a QB project / camp arm. A decent player who has played for a team that has seen multiple coach / system changes and a surrounding cast of lower receivers. The steelers have shown a genuine interest in Griffin with visits from key personnel.

Some will say where is a TE or a OT.
With Miller, Paulson and now Spaeth back on the roster I dont see a space this year.
OT seems covered if you believe Adams and Gilbert are the starters. I think Max Starks comes back cheap again.

This draft class is a real dream.
Little depth at the top end.
Top 15 prospects with red flags.
No real stand out QB prospects.
This draft can be turned upside down with one or two reaches in the first ( Geno Smith, Ryan Nassib, Mike Glennon, Matt Barkley ) and some real talent falls. Then watch the trades go crazy.

Sit and wait. Trade offers come and you can move back a little and load up on picks.

have fun

NCSteeler
03-27-2013, 08:04 AM
Saw one odd draft on USA today had us down as taking Margus Hunt from SMU with 1:17. Seemed a little high for him, but at 6'8" 277 and a 4.60 40 he seems he could carry enough weight to and move well enough to replace Hampton, but not at 17th pick.

Texasteel
03-27-2013, 08:33 AM
I am so confused with who to take at 1.17 and see multiple holes in the roster that need to be addressed. I would love to see the following trade.

Trade down to late #1.31 ( San Francisco 49ers #1-17 equals #1-31, 2,29 and 3.12 49ers pull the trigger to take Kenny Vaccaro at 1.17 and at 2.2 they have happy to sit and wait for Tyler EIfert / Zach Ertz)

I also believe that Manny Sanders is retained. If he goes then pencil in at the end of Round 3 another WR

1.31 (SF) Matt Elam Florida SS

I would pass on Vaccaro to gain two extra picks. I personally like what I see from Elam or Cyprien at SS more than Vaccaro at FS. The role of SS is more critical in LeBeau’s system as a dynamo is needed to play the joker role in the box and within 10 yards of the line of scrimmage. FS has never been a high draft priority and I don’t see things changing. With Harrison released it is Jason Worilds time to shine. A first round OLB will be a concession that Worilds is not the man. That message has already been clarified.

2.16 Arthur Brown ILBKansas state

Larry Foote’s replacement will be drafted to be trained up over the next 2-3 seasons to become the new signal caller. Spence was going to be that man. There are no guarantees that Spence will ever see the field again unfortunately. Brown has been visited by steeler personnel so an interest is obviously present.

2.29 (SF)LeVeon Bell RB Michigan State

Big bodied 3 down back who the steelers have shown a real interest in. I still am a fan of Joseph Randle but I will concede that Bell is a better fit. Many have Bell as the best rated running backs whilst other have him as a 4th rounder. The scattier backs will go higher. Bell is the workhorse of the 2013 RB class.

3.12 (SF)Stedman Bailey WR West Virginia

Best slot receiver in the draft in my opinion. Everyone is going to pursue Tavon Austin ( and rightly so) but Bailey is not that much of a step down from him. He will do the hard work in the middle of the field.

3.17 Corey Lemonier OLB Auburn

Prototypical steeler OLB project. A dynamic DE that translates well into LeBeau’s OLB profile. Needs time to be taught how to play OLB. Will be starter material by the time Woodleys ridiculous contract becomes an albatross around the steelers neck.

4.18 Alvin Bailey OG Arkansas

Great guard prospect that will get lost in the jostle for teams fighting for skill position player. I like what I see on film with Bailey. Foster is a genuine swingman who is best coming in for some snaps from the bench. A true guard that will help open hole in the new Zone blocking scheme.

5.17 Terry Hawthorne CB

This is my steal of the draft for me. Prototypical size and speed for LeBeaus system.Has 4.40 speed and loves to step up against the run and put a lick on the ball carrier. Watch some tape and you will like what you see.

6.18 William Gholston DE Michigan State

First round talent two years ago. Over the past two years he has grown into the Gholston ( Vernon) name and his game has tapered off. You cannot teach 6’6 280, but you can teach technique and discipline. He is well worth a flyer at the 5 tech DE position. It seems like hundreds of DE’s have come through the system. Cant see why another one wont be tried.Joe Kruger from Utah is another name to consider here. He will be overdrafted on the back of his brothers reputation. I would much rather Kruger but he will be gone.

6 comp Daimion Stafford FS Nebraska

Decent free safety who could be a practice squad type player. The steelers only ever carry 4 safeties on the roster so two always seem to be carried on the practice squad to cover an injury callup.

7.17 Ryan Griffin QB Tulane

Take a flyer on a QB project / camp arm. A decent player who has played for a team that has seen multiple coach / system changes and a surrounding cast of lower receivers. The steelers have shown a genuine interest in Griffin with visits from key personnel.

Some will say where is a TE or a OT.
With Miller, Paulson and now Spaeth back on the roster I dont see a space this year.
OT seems covered if you believe Adams and Gilbert are the starters. I think Max Starks comes back cheap again.

This draft class is a real dream.
Little depth at the top end.
Top 15 prospects with red flags.
No real stand out QB prospects.
This draft can be turned upside down with one or two reaches in the first ( Geno Smith, Ryan Nassib, Mike Glennon, Matt Barkley ) and some real talent falls. Then watch the trades go crazy.

Sit and wait. Trade offers come and you can move back a little and load up on picks.

have fun

Nice job Aussie. Would love to see that trade happen. Particularly like the middle of this draft. A lot of talent that doesn't seem to be talked about.

Dwinsgames
03-27-2013, 10:43 AM
My buddy over at Rant sports 7 round steelers mock .. http://www.rantsports.com/nfl/2013/03/24/pittsburgh-steelers-2013-nfl-mock-draft-week-3-seven-rounds/

Texasteel
03-27-2013, 06:57 PM
New developments, New Mock.

1 - Kenny Vaccaro, FS.

2 - John Simon, OLB, Steelers seems to have targeted Simons if rumors are correct.

3 - La'Veon Bell, RB, Steelers brought him in for a workout, and from what I read he was just what they had hoped he would be.

4 - Stedman Bailey, WR, Yes I would still like a TE but after the 3rd round don't see one that is a big upgrade over what we have. Bailey could go in the 3rd, but is very under rated right now.

5 - David Quessenberry, OT. If Brian Schwenke is still there, I take him in a heart beat, but I don't think he will be.

6 - 6a- Ricky Wagner, OT. Can't go wrong taking a Wesconsin OT. We do seem to be a little thin a OT.

Dwinsgames
03-27-2013, 07:33 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TWLXrlF8SE

Bailey ...

With Tavon Austin and Bailey , it makes you wonder just how good Geno Smith is , did the QB make the WRs better or did the Wrs make the QB who he is ... this time it might be a little bit of both but perhaps a slight learn towards the WRs making him better ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klQa_TtZz_Y

Tavarres King ... very well could be there in the 4th as well ....

IMO probably can not go wrong with either of these guys at that point in the draft

Texasteel
03-27-2013, 07:39 PM
The draft I would like to see.......... SF has something like 47 draft picks and I don't think they will need or want that many this year. I would change one thing on Aussies deal, sorry buddy, I would like there 1st pick in the second, 2-2, and both their picks in the 3rd, 3-12 and 3-31, I think I would also ask for one of their picks in the 4th, 4-31. There are two players at 17 I think SF could have a lot of interest in, Vaccaro for one and Patterson for another. They might go for it, they might not.

2 -a. David Amerson, CB/S

2-b. John Simon, OLB

3-a. La'Veon Bell, RB

3-b. Travic Kelce, TE

3-c. Brian Schwenki, OC/OG

4-a. Stedman Bailey, WR

4-b. Knile Davis, RB, If he is still on the board. If his ankle stays strong we have one hell of a steal, if not, we alread have our RB.

5- . Ricky Wagner, OT.

6a-. Brad Sorenson, QB, I think he could be a good back up QB for a long time.

Shoes
03-27-2013, 09:23 PM
Wow, Bailey looks really good!

Steeltreal
03-27-2013, 09:29 PM
I think a Weapon for Ben should be priority before Safety. The Oline is revamped, there is no feature RB, Heath Miller might not be the same. Not sure Brown can handle the 100+ targets thrown #17s way by himself. You cant expect to replace that with 3rd and 4th round rookies.

I expect this team to contend with the Defense installed, its the same minus 1 starter, Harrison.

Get Ben WEAPONS!

Count Steeler
03-27-2013, 09:48 PM
NFL Network @nflnetwork

USC wide receiver Robert Woods shines at pro day: http://on.nfl.com/15Wt77n

Dwinsgames
03-27-2013, 10:36 PM
I think a Weapon for Ben should be priority before Safety. The Oline is revamped, there is no feature RB, Heath Miller might not be the same. Not sure Brown can handle the 100+ targets thrown #17s way by himself. You cant expect to replace that with 3rd and 4th round rookies.

I expect this team to contend with the Defense installed, its the same minus 1 starter, Harrison.

Get Ben WEAPONS!

2 starters ( Big Snack and Silverback )

Texasteel
03-27-2013, 11:00 PM
Wow, Bailey looks really good!

You fed up with dropped balls? You will love Bailey. The fact that he played with Austin is going to be a God send for some team. Wouldn't break my heart if its us.

Steeltreal
03-27-2013, 11:20 PM
2 starters ( Big Snack and Silverback )

Keep him on speed dial along with Starks

Aussie_steeler
03-28-2013, 02:24 AM
New developments, New Mock.

1 - Kenny Vaccaro, FS.

2 - John Simon, OLB, Steelers seems to have targeted Simons if rumors are correct.

3 - La'Veon Bell, RB, Steelers brought him in for a workout, and from what I read he was just what they had hoped he would be.

4 - Stedman Bailey, WR, Yes I would still like a TE but after the 3rd round don't see one that is a big upgrade over what we have. Bailey could go in the 3rd, but is very under rated right now.

5 - David Quessenberry, OT. If Brian Schwenke is still there, I take him in a heart beat, but I don't think he will be.

6 - 6a- Ricky Wagner, OT. Can't go wrong taking a Wesconsin OT. We do seem to be a little thin a OT.

Ed, I think that free safety is less of a premium position than SS for Dick Le Beau. I cant believe Free safety will ever be a first round pick. Vaccaro is great value at the spot in the draft but it goes completely against Colbert mode of operation.

John Simon was a favourite of mine late last year. The more I look at tape of Simon the more I see a player who relies on his high motor to impress. He scares me in coverage. He has that Manti Te'o look about him--- great college tape against some teams, but poor showings against others. I think he will be a solid pro. He will be a situational player on the right team. I just dont see him being that explosive pass rush freak that the steeler covet and need to produce key sacks, seal the edge on running plays and drop into coverage when needed.

Bell, Bailey, Quessenbery and Wagner are all very good picks. I really like Le'veon Bell and Stedman Bailey is going to be a star. I loved Austin Collie's production as a college player and he was a star before all his concussions. Bailey has that same feel about him ( hopefully not the concussions)

LLT
03-28-2013, 03:27 AM
I have totally rethought my draft predictions and based them more on the BPA mentality, in relation to an emphasis on those postitions in which we lost key players. I also took into consideration a past article that I had written, in which research showed that NFL starting Safeties (more so than any other position) could be found in virtually every round, while starters at skill positions were more likely to be found in the first three rounds. Granted that isnt a "set" rule, and there is still a very good chance that we could see Vacarro in the black and gold.

Rd 1: WR Cordarrelle Patterson of Tennessee 6'2 216

I think the Rams will have to decide between Safety Kenny Vaccaro and WR Cordarrelle Patterson, with the knowledge that the Steelers will probably take whichever one is left when they pick at#17. The depth at reciever this year is substantially better than that of safety, and that should be the deciding factor that forces the Rams to draft Vacarro at #16 and leaves the #1 WR for us one pick later. Patterson is crazy talented but raw. Dont expect him to put up gaudy numbers this year as he learns the Z position behind Antonio Brown, but next year he should make the Steelers Universe proud with his combination of size and speed. This will also allow Brown to move back to the X reciever slot in which he has been so productive.

---------------------------------------
Rd 2: OLB Corey Lemonier of Auburn 6'4 255

I'm torn as to whether we should take Corey Lemonier in the 2nd and gamble that RB Montee Ball will still be on the board in the third, or the other way around. Right now I am going to go with Lemonier. He has been shown special attention by the Steelers linebacking coach and displayes fantastic pass rushing ability. I would also consider OLB John Simon at this slot if he recuperates from the shoulder injury and is able to work out before the draft.

----------------------------------------
Rd 3: RB Montee Ball of Wisconsin 5'11 214

Its no surprise that I love Montee Ball, and if he is still on the board in the third round...this is a no brainer. Ball isnt going to impress with speed or incredible bulk, but he is strong and has elite field vision. He has a lot of carries on the those tires, but how often can you take a third round pick that has the potential to be a day one starter? RB La'Veon Bell would also be a great pickup in the third.

----------------------------------------
Rd 4: OG Alvin Bailey of Arkansas 6'3 312

By changing my draft perspective, It forces me to rethink when we will take a o-lineman. I think the 4th round is just about perfect. In Alvin Bailey we get a player with good athleticism and the functional strength to play zone. He has played on both the right and left side and I honestly think he might be a starter before the year is over. Great value in the 4th round. I would also keep an eye on OT David Quessenberry of San Jose State.

Rd 5: ILB A.J. Klein of Iowa State 6'1 250

If they gave out an award for underrated players, Klein might win it. He is a victim of the misplaced belief that he is unathletic. All Klein has done, is put up incredibly solid numbers, stood out at the Shrine game, proven he has a nonstop motor and is technically sound, set a FBS record with four touchdowns from interceptions, and ran a 4.66 at the combine. I wouldnt be surprised to see him off the board as early as the third if some team ignores the draft "experts".

Rd 6: SS Earl Wolff of North Carolina State 5'11 209

Another player that several of us have fallen in love with. Wolff is a solid player with great speed and good ball skills. The tape that I have seen on him is pretty impressive. He changes direction very well and knows how to position himself. I did see some lapses in zone assignment that should be easily corrected.

Rd 6: WR Jasper Collins of Mount Union 5'10 180

Sleeper pick from a school that produced Pierre Garcon and Cecil Shorts. Collins is a solid route runner, whose size and skills translate well to the slot reciever position. Collins finished his career with 3,527 yards, 232 reception, and 37 touchdowns. He is also a candidate as a return specialist.

-------------------------------------------
Rd 7: FS Jakar Hamilton of South Carolina State 5'11 196

Started his career at Georgia but transferred to South Carolina St. Had incredible acedemic obstacles to overcome in order to even be elgible but persevered. Has the coverage skills to play cornerback, but appears to be a FS at the pro level. Good backpedal, quick, and runs a 4.47 forty. Good man-to-man defender and excels in run support. 7th round project player that has the potential to pay off due to his history of being willing to work towards goals.

Texasteel
03-28-2013, 09:41 AM
Ed, I think that free safety is less of a premium position than SS for Dick Le Beau. I cant believe Free safety will ever be a first round pick. Vaccaro is great value at the spot in the draft but it goes completely against Colbert mode of operation.

John Simon was a favourite of mine late last year. The more I look at tape of Simon the more I see a player who relies on his high motor to impress. He scares me in coverage. He has that Manti Te'o look about him--- great college tape against some teams, but poor showings against others. I think he will be a solid pro. He will be a situational player on the right team. I just dont see him being that explosive pass rush freak that the steeler covet and need to produce key sacks, seal the edge on running plays and drop into coverage when needed.

Bell, Bailey, Quessenbery and Wagner are all very good picks. I really like Le'veon Bell and Stedman Bailey is going to be a star. I loved Austin Collie's production as a college player and he was a star before all his concussions. Bailey has that same feel about him ( hopefully not the concussions)

Actually bud, I don't disagree with you. This is one of the main reasons I would like to trade out of this position. I don't honestly expect a OLB that I like falling to 17, and unless the Steelers surprise me with Sheldon Richardson, or Johnathan Hankins, the only names I have left at 17 are Vaccaro and Patterson. I like Patterson, but to be honest, I don't think the difference between the #1 WR and the #15 WR is all that great. Soooooooooo Vaccaro by subtraction. Really, my favorite Safties are Amerson, who I think could become one heck of a Safty, or stay at CB if need be , Shamarko Thomas, and Shawn Williams.

I think Simon is better at sealing the edge than some think. He is petty good in run protection now. Any time you convert a DE to OLB you can have problems with coverage. He is pretty quick, runs well, and is a smart player, and I think that with good coaching at the position will get much better. Don't get me wrong, I would be happy with him in the second round, but the main reason I picked him is the reported interest that the Steelers have in him. You know,,,,, rumors, rumors, rumors.

I think this is going to be an interesting draft. So many players where one person can see a dimond, and another see a lump of coal. One thing I will not change my mind on is that I think this is a weak 1st round and I would like to get out of it. The only thing that would change my mind is if one of the top 10 players slid to 17.

Dwinsgames
03-28-2013, 12:06 PM
Actually bud, I don't disagree with you. This is one of the main reasons I would like to trade out of this position. I don't honestly expect a OLB that I like falling to 17, and unless the Steelers surprise me with Sheldon Richardson, or Johnathan Hankins, the only names I have left at 17 are Vaccaro and Patterson. I like Patterson, but to be honest, I don't think the difference between the #1 WR and the #15 WR is all that great. Soooooooooo Vaccaro by subtraction. Really, my favorite Safties are Amerson, who I think could become one heck of a Safty, or stay at CB if need be , Shamarko Thomas, and Shawn Williams.

I think Simon is better at sealing the edge than some think. He is petty good in run protection now. Any time you convert a DE to OLB you can have problems with coverage. He is pretty quick, runs well, and is a smart player, and I think that with good coaching at the position will get much better. Don't get me wrong, I would be happy with him in the second round, but the main reason I picked him is the reported interest that the Steelers have in him. You know,,,,, rumors, rumors, rumors.

I think this is going to be an interesting draft. So many players where one person can see a dimond, and another see a lump of coal. One thing I will not change my mind on is that I think this is a weak 1st round and I would like to get out of it. The only thing that would change my mind is if one of the top 10 players slid to 17.

this...

and would also like to note that it is my opinion that S is one of the strongest pos. in this draft and I believe starter quality S prospects go very deep in the draft an the differences in the top prospect and the 10th prospect are not that significant , hence as much as I love Vaccaro I can not see spending pick 17 on him when I could potentially trade down and get a guy like Amerson who is a proven ball hawk 20 picks later and pay him less money in the process and get me even more picks to boot ( Amerson had 13 ints in 2011 alone ) and 18 or 19 in his collegiate career ( and is coming out as a Junior ) .... and then there are so many other quality S prospects as well .. McDonald , Reid, Jefferson ,Elam , Rambo , Lester, Williams , Barnett , Holloman and a few others I think could make an impression on the pro game ... just not a HUGE disparity in ability most of them

EDIT ... as a side note This Steelers team has lacked the ability to make plays on the ball in the secondary for some time , the more this league gravitates towards the passing game we have to be more prepared to not only stop teams but to take opportunities away from teams ... we have been pretty good at stopping them but we have sucked at taking it away .. Cortez Allen should help with the take aways but we need more than 1 guy with the ability to do that , I know Troy can at times but as of late his health has been more of a liability than his play has been a positive ... when you have a chance to get dramatically better at something you have to do it IMO ...

David Amerson is that guy

LLT
03-29-2013, 12:15 AM
this...

and would also like to note that it is my opinion that S is one of the strongest pos. in this draft and I believe starter quality S prospects go very deep in the draft an the differences in the top prospect and the 10th prospect are not that significant , hence as much as I love Vaccaro I can not see spending pick 17 on him when I could potentially trade down and get a guy like Amerson who is a proven ball hawk 20 picks later and pay him less money in the process and get me even more picks to boot ( Amerson had 13 ints in 2011 alone ) and 18 or 19 in his collegiate career ( and is coming out as a Junior ) .... and then there are so many other quality S prospects as well .. McDonald , Reid, Jefferson ,Elam , Rambo , Lester, Williams , Barnett , Holloman and a few others I think could make an impression on the pro game ... just not a HUGE disparity in ability most of them

I dont want to be confusing in regards to my saying that Safety isnt deep....I was speciically talking about 1st round talent. I think the Rams will consider Vacarro at #16 because 1st round WR's like Allen & Austin should be available later. If the Rams take Patterson....they only safety that warrants a first round grade that will be left is Elam....and I think he is actually more of a early second round talent, not a first.

Dwinsgames
03-29-2013, 07:30 AM
I dont want to be confusing in regards to my saying that Safety isnt deep....I was speciically talking about 1st round talent. I think the Rams will consider Vacarro at #16 because 1st round WR's like Allen & Austin should be available later. If the Rams take Patterson....they only safety that warrants a first round grade that will be left is Elam....and I think he is actually more of a early second round talent, not a first.

I understand that , maybe I should have went a little further in my explanation ...

I believe you get less of a difference in player later in the draft at S than perhaps any other pos in this particular draft so taking one early almost handcuffs your ability to get better all over at a higher rate of improvement team wide than if you would take a play maker at another spot early and got a S a little later ... ( unless you are after 2 then that changes everything )

slightly less capable S for a lot more capable LB or insert pos here ... S IMO is the deepest pos in the draft WR perhaps the second deepest but always harder to determine who will actually translate to the pro game ..

please do not confuse deepest with most talented /cheers

LLT
03-29-2013, 10:12 AM
I understand that , maybe I should have went a little further in my explanation ...

I believe you get less of a difference in player later in the draft at S than perhaps any other pos in this particular draft so taking one early almost handcuffs your ability to get better all over at a higher rate of improvement team wide than if you would take a play maker at another spot early and got a S a little later ... ( unless you are after 2 then that changes everything )

slightly less capable S for a lot more capable LB or insert pos here ... S IMO is the deepest pos in the draft WR perhaps the second deepest but always harder to determine who will actually translate to the pro game ..

please do not confuse deepest with most talented /cheers

No confusion on my part. You are pretty much repeating exactly what my editorial concluded. The safety position, more than any other tends to trend that way in most drafts.

fansince'76
03-30-2013, 03:19 PM
Version 2 (http://www.steelersuniverse.com/forums/Draft.html) of LLT's mock draft is now up. Thanks! :drink:

Steeltreal
03-30-2013, 07:18 PM
I can see the Rams taking Ogletree at 16 to fill the one hole in their front 7, then try to catch a falling Guard at 22, or
take Elam reportedly shown interest. Playing Russel Wilson and Kaepernick twice a year , I think he fits perfect. They added FA TE Cook and drafted a decent pair WRs last year.

Looks like we will have our pick at WR or Vacarro.

SteelerFanInStl
03-31-2013, 09:07 AM
I certainly hope that we don't take a WR in the first round. There just isn't that much of a difference in talent at WR in the first compared to what you can get later.

Texasteel
03-31-2013, 09:27 AM
I certainly hope that we don't take a WR in the first round. There just isn't that much of a difference in talent at WR in the first compared to what you can get later.

I know what your saying, but I think the same could be said about Safty, CB, and probable RB. The 1st round OTs will be gone and IMO so will the top edge rushers. There may be a D-lineman worth taking maybe, and maybe one OG that is worth the pick.

When they get to 17 we have to pick someone, if we still hold that pick. Patterrson could very well be the BAP, and the logical pick. I am still holding out hopes for for a top 10 player to slide,,,,,,,, hoping but not counting on.

SteelerFanInStl
03-31-2013, 04:56 PM
I know what your saying, but I think the same could be said about Safty, CB, and probable RB. The 1st round OTs will be gone and IMO so will the top edge rushers. There may be a D-lineman worth taking maybe, and maybe one OG that is worth the pick.

I'm really hoping that one of those edge rushers drops to us. If not, I'd love to see a trade down.

I agree that the same thing could be said about Safety, CB and RB. I wouldn't mind ILB in the first but I don't think that there's one worthy of the pick other than Ogletree and he's got red flags.

I'm also wary of Patterson since he was only a 1 year starter and that was only after Rogers was kicked off the team.

LLT
04-02-2013, 12:57 AM

I understand what your logic and if I had my choice I would definately take Jarvis or Mingo. But taking into consideration who might still be on the board...We have to remember that Patterson is the #11 ranked player overall...He is 6'2 and ran a 4.33 forty...and even with only one year of solid production, that year was one of setting an SEC single-season record with a kickoff/punt return average of 27.6 yards, and one in which he produced 1,858 all-purpose yards.

I also took into consideration the fact that Kevin Colbert, Mike Tomlin, Todd Haley, and wide receivers coach Richard Mann all went to his pro day.

Seven
04-03-2013, 10:43 PM
I dreamt we selected Austin. That is all.

Dwinsgames
04-03-2013, 10:56 PM

that is no dream friend ... that is a nightmare

Austin will be a novelty in the pro game , he does not have the body to hold up in todays NFL ( back in the 80s maybe esp in Houston ) today's players are bigger , stronger , faster ....

Seven
04-03-2013, 11:00 PM

Austin will be a novelty in the pro game , he does not have the body to hold up in todays NFL ( back in the 80s maybe esp in Houston ) today's players are bigger , stronger , faster ....

Haha I'm totally off my game this year. I haven't watched any of these prospects. Last year I was in UDFA mode by now. Don't know why I'm so uninteresed this year.

With that in mind I will defer to you on Austin. I wasn't saying dream as in he's my dream selection, I simply dreamt we took him haha. Positionally I would be okay with a receiver high, though.

Dwinsgames
04-03-2013, 11:03 PM
Haha I'm totally off my game this year. I haven't watched any of these prospects. Last year I was in UDFA mode by now. Don't know why I'm so uninteresed this year.

With that in mind I will defer to you on Austin. I wasn't saying dream as in he's my dream selection, I simply dreamt we took him haha. Positionally I would be okay with a receiver high, though.

Yea I understood it was " in a dream " not your dream ( well it was your dream .... ) ok this is starting to go Abbott and Costello on me now .... I get it , will leave it at that LOL

LLT
04-04-2013, 01:34 AM

Austin will flourish in the new "safer" NFL that is increasingly becoming a passing league. As a "F" reciever...His touches will be somewhat limited, but what he will bring to a team looking for a weapon in the slot could be devastating.

I dont buy into the "he's too small" mentality that the talking heads are throwing around. Wes Welker is stated as being 5'9 according to his roster...but was measured at 5'8 1/2 at the 2004 combine. That is the very same heighth as Austin.

The differences between the two is that Welker outweighs him by ten pounds (which Austin can add in an NFL weight program) and that Welker runs a 4.61 forty, while Austin runs a 4.28.
Both possess great quickness but no one is going to say that Welker is quicker than Austin, which is essential for a "F" receiver.

Aussie_steeler
04-04-2013, 06:14 AM
Austin will flourish in the new "safer" NFL that is increasingly becoming a passing league. As a "F" reciever...His touches will be somewhat limited, but what he will bring to a team looking for a weapon in the slot could be devastating.

I dont buy into the "he's too small" mentality that the talking heads are throwing around. Wes Welker is stated as being 5'9 according to his roster...but was measured at 5'8 1/2 at the 2004 combine. That is the very same heighth as Austin.

The differences between the two is that Welker outweighs him by ten pounds (which Austin can add in an NFL weight program) and that Welker runs a 4.61 forty, while Austin runs a 4.28.
Both possess great quickness but no one is going to say that Welker is quicker than Austin, which is essential for a "F" receiver.

I am starting to agree with this view more and more Perry. In a quick release system Austin will be dynamite. Factor in the transition to flag football and Austin will be a real handful.

I think Stedman Bailey is the better fit for Haleys system.

This year the local visits are going to be real value. ( 4-5 on that list would have merited visits if they werent locals)

* West Virginia
1. Geno Smith to scout WR's
2. Tavon Austin
3. Steadman Bailey
4. Joe Madsen OC

* Pitt
1. Ray Graham

* Penn State
1. Mike Mauti LB
2. Jordan Hill DT
3. Gerald Hodges LB
4. Matt Stankewitch OC
5. Zordich FB

By the way Perry, I think Kenny Vaccaro is going to hotly contested. Jerry Jones looks like he want him in a big way. I am guessing he will be trading up to land his man.

LLT
04-04-2013, 06:39 AM
I am starting to agree with this view more and more Perry. In a quick release system Austin will be dynamite. Factor in the transition to flag football and Austin will be a real handful.

I think Stedman Bailey is the better fit for Haleys system.

This year the local visits are going to be real value. ( 4-5 on that list would have merited visits if they werent locals)

* West Virginia
1. Geno Smith to scout WR's
2. Tavon Austin
3. Steadman Bailey
4. Joe Madsen OC

* Pitt
1. Ray Graham

* Penn State
1. Mike Mauti LB
2. Jordan Hill DT
3. Gerald Hodges LB
4. Matt Stankewitch OC
5. Zordich FB

By the way Perry, I think Kenny Vaccaro is going to hotly contested. Jerry Jones looks like he want him in a big way. I am guessing he will be trading up to land his man.

I have heard the same....I think that Dallas is going to look at the two premier OG's to see if they slide to them...and if not, there is a good chance that they trade up with the Rams to snag Vacarro. That would give the Rams the ability to Take a WR like Austin and a safety like Elam later PLUS pick up a few extra picks.

Dwinsgames
04-04-2013, 10:12 AM
I disagree on Austin , but we wont know who is right or wrong on this for a few years ... I believe if he is there the Vikings select him and try to use him as a replacement for Percy Harvin and I do not believe he will hold up ... time will tell

BigCurt
04-04-2013, 11:28 AM

When they get to 17 we have to pick someone, if we still hold that pick. Patterrson could very well be the BAP, and the logical pick. I am still holding out hopes for for a top 10 player to slide,,,,,,,, hoping but not counting on.

Interesting line of thinking. I do believe that the Steelers will have multiple options come 17. How they make that first choice will guide the rest of the draft. I'd argue that wide receiver is far and away the deepest position in this class, so I wouldn't prioritize it in the first, but that's just me. It's all about what you perceive is the drop off is at a given position. For example safety, I consider Vaccaro a special player, but would I be opposed to Elam or Reid in the 2nd? Absolutely not. I love the prospect of Tank Carradine as a rush OLB, but Quanterus Smith in the third would be great as well. Desmond Trufant in the first or Jordan Poyer in the 2nd at CB isn't close for me. Lots of interesting scenarios for the first 2 rounds.

Texasteel
04-04-2013, 01:47 PM
Interesting line of thinking. I do believe that the Steelers will have multiple options come 17. How they make that first choice will guide the rest of the draft. I'd argue that wide receiver is far and away the deepest position in this class, so I wouldn't prioritize it in the first, but that's just me. It's all about what you perceive is the drop off is at a given position. For example safety, I consider Vaccaro a special player, but would I be opposed to Elam or Reid in the 2nd? Absolutely not. I love the prospect of Tank Carradine as a rush OLB, but Quanterus Smith in the third would be great as well. Desmond Trufant in the first or Jordan Poyer in the 2nd at CB isn't close for me. Lots of interesting scenarios for the first 2 rounds.

I'm not to bright, but I am interesting. I do think that at 17, if we stay at 17, we most likely will pick the BAP, who ever the Steeler think is the BAP. If thats Patterson, fine, if it is Vaccaro, great, if its Jones, if hes still there, thats even better. I also think that how the 1st round falls will determine what we do in the 2nd, and not the other way around, as in, who we think may be there for us in the 2nd. Myself, I am still hope for a trade down. I would still like to see us end up with 2 2nd round picks and 3 3rds, but that is a different conversation, may happen, probably won't.

st33lersguy
04-04-2013, 02:37 PM

No Tavon Austin, there will be players available and his frame is too fragile

LLT
04-05-2013, 01:29 AM
I'm not to bright, but I am interesting. I do think that at 17, if we stay at 17, we most likely will pick the BAP, who ever the Steeler think is the BAP. If thats Patterson, fine, if it is Vaccaro, great, if its Jones, if hes still there, thats even better. I also think that how the 1st round falls will determine what we do in the 2nd, and not the other way around, as in, who we think may be there for us in the 2nd. Myself, I am still hope for a trade down. I would still like to see us end up with 2 2nd round picks and 3 3rds, but that is a different conversation, may happen, probably won't.

I think you are touching on what "I believe" to be essential in this draft. Regardless of how deep a position is in the later rounds, The Steelers traditionally will use BPA as their rule of thumb. Grabbing a top 15 player at a position in which the team has need...is going to trump draft "depth". For instance...We have obvious "holes" at both WR and at OLB...but I cant see us passing on Patterson, who is the consensus #1 WR in this draft, to take a player like Damontre Moore.

I think that draft "depth" becomes important only when when there are two players available that we deem to be of equal value. For instance...If Jarvis Jones and Cordarrelle Patterson are both there when we pick at #17...(and I consider these two players to be pretty close when considering PBA) then there is going to be some SERIOUS discussion in the war room. Personally I think that Jarvis is going to be off the board and there is a pretty good chance that Patterson could still be there.

The dark horse for me is the OG position. In which Warmack or Cooper might be there also. Then...you have to take that WR depth into consideration.

I think (based on BPA and depth) that there are target rounds for each position.

WR....Priority...the first three rounds
OLB...Priority...the first three rounds
Safety..for depth...anywhere in the draft
RB...slight priority....2-5 rounds
CB...slight priority...2-5 rounds
ILB...for depth....4-7 rounds
DT...for depth...anywhere in the draft
O-line...for depth...4-7 rounds
TE...little priority...6-UDFA
QB...little priority...5-UDFA
DE...little priority...5-UDFA

Dwinsgames
04-05-2013, 09:49 AM
I think you are touching on what "I believe" to be essential in this draft. Regardless of how deep a position is in the later rounds, The Steelers traditionally will use BPA as their rule of thumb. Grabbing a top 15 player at a position in which the team has need...is going to trump draft "depth". For instance...We have obvious "holes" at both WR and at OLB...but I cant see us passing on Patterson, who is the consensus #1 WR in this draft, to take a player like Damontre Moore.

I think that draft "depth" becomes important only when when there are two players available that we deem to be of equal value. For instance...If Jarvis Jones and Cordarrelle Patterson are both there when we pick at #17...(and I consider these two players to be pretty close when considering PBA) then there is going to be some SERIOUS discussion in the war room. Personally I think that Jarvis is going to be off the board and there is a pretty good chance that Patterson could still be there.

The dark horse for me is the OG position. In which Warmack or Cooper might be there also. Then...you have to take that WR depth into consideration.

I think (based on BPA and depth) that there are target rounds for each position.

I think ( just my opinion ) if you move ILB up to the 2-5 category you nailed it ( with the possibility as stated of taking Cooper in the first if he falls in our lap )

good work

Texasteel
04-05-2013, 11:51 AM
I think ( just my opinion ) if you move ILB up to the 2-5 category you nailed it ( with the possibility as stated of taking Cooper in the first if he falls in our lap )

good work

I would be OK with Cooper. I think an awful lot of Mock Drafts are going to be blown up half way through the first day. Too many questions, too many ifs, and too many players with close to the same talent level. I can see the FO sitting in the war room, ready to make our pick and hearing the words. "Look whos still on the board guys."

Dwinsgames
04-05-2013, 12:36 PM

good work

I would be OK with Cooper. I think an awful lot of Mock Drafts are going to be blown up half way through the first day. Too many questions, too many ifs, and too many players with close to the same talent level. I can see the FO sitting in the war room, ready to make our pick and hearing the words. "Look whos still on the board guys."

me too , however I hate the thoughts of drafting a Guard at 17 ... he is one hell of a football player and given the scheme we intend to run is a perfect fit ( he has quick feet and good movement for a man his size ) ...

would make potentially the best young interior line in the NFL coupled with Pouncey and Decastro , and if you want to create a running game look no further than having a line comprised of those 3 ( provided Decastro and Cooper pan out as projected ) .... but If Foster makes the same sort of leap this off season as he did last off season you may have blown a high round pick on a guy who struggles to see the field ...

these are things the front office should know better than us ( whether they do or not is another story in itself ) and with the new CBA in place and how limited teams are with off season contact with the players they may not have a clue :(

But it would be a nice problem to have just a bit on the expensive side and we do not have the luxury of having that much talent sit with so many holes to fill

st33lersguy
04-05-2013, 02:39 PM

I would actually put safety and RB ahead of WR for now (if Sanders is pryed away from Pittsburgh, that will change), as of now the Steelers have two starting WRs, and there is an issue primarily with depth (with less buzz about Sanders leaving, this is likely the case entering draft day). Safety is bigger not just because the starting safeties are aging, but because there is less depth at the position (do we even have any backups safety at this point) and Troy Polamalu has had so many durability issues that nobody knows whether or not he will even play all 16 games, so Safety is not just about finding a backup but also someone who can start whenever Troy suffers his inevitable injury. Also, the Steelers need to come away with a starting RB in the draft, as they have none, RB should be addressed after round 1 only because there is no one worth taking.

Dwinsgames
04-05-2013, 03:30 PM
the Steelers need to come away with a starting RB in the draft, as they have none, RB should be addressed after round 1 only because there is no one worth taking.

I disagree on the premise none are worth taking , several of the RBs in this draft would have held a first round grade 5 years ago ... the issue is RB itself has been devalued across the board because you can often times get a very good one later in the draft and the league is no longer a run first league making a 300+ carry a year back unnecessary with the use of " 3rd down backs and the passing game "

Steeltreal
04-10-2013, 11:19 PM
1) Cooper - G
2) Gio - RB
3a) Thomas - S (Fresno St)
3b) Bailey - WR
4) Simon - OLB
5) Goodman - DE
6a) Hyde - CB
6b) Boyce - WR
7) Sweeting - CB

steelerdude15
04-10-2013, 11:46 PM
I would actually put safety and RB ahead of WR for now (if Sanders is pryed away from Pittsburgh, that will change), as of now the Steelers have two starting WRs, and there is an issue primarily with depth (with less buzz about Sanders leaving, this is likely the case entering draft day). Safety is bigger not just because the starting safeties are aging, but because there is less depth at the position (do we even have any backups safety at this point) and Troy Polamalu has had so many durability issues that nobody knows whether or not he will even play all 16 games, so Safety is not just about finding a backup but also someone who can start whenever Troy suffers his inevitable injury. Also, the Steelers need to come away with a starting RB in the draft, as they have none, RB should be addressed after round 1 only because there is no one worth taking.

Personally, I would rate OLB as the biggest need for this team with safety being second and ILB as third. I think this will be the draft where we see a safety drafted, but if Jarvis Jones is there, I bet the Steelers will draft him with their first pick (that's if he is there). With that being said, the Steelers could possibly pick up a safety in the mid-rounds. There is a lot of safeties in this draft so if we don't get one in the first round, I'm not too worried about it. As for running backs, the only back who I think is first round worthy is Ed Lacy, but I have a feeling he won't be drafted until the second round. There is a lot of talent at running back after the first round and if the Steelers do not sign Bradshaw, then it is a safe bet they'll draft a running back. It wouldn't surprise me if they picked up one in the second or third round. I think Le'Veon Bell could be a good fit for this team and I have a feeling he'd be drafted in the second round if Bradshaw isn't signed. I feel that if Bradshaw is signed, then there wouldn't be a need to draft another back.

Steeltreal
04-14-2013, 05:20 PM
Looks like we matched keeping Sanders while writing up my extra 3rd mock, fml

Texasteel
04-16-2013, 11:36 AM
Less than 10 days guys.

1- Jarvis Jones, OlB. Yes I am sticking with Jones as my pick. I have been trying to keep a close eye on Jones, checking on reports and rumors, and it looks like Jones may not recover from the slide he had taken a few weeks ago. This may still be an outside shot, but one I think could happen for us. Then again,,,, it only takes one team.

2- DeAndre Hopkins, WR. The Steelers seemed to have painted themselves into a corner. What if we can not sign Sanders next year, what would we have behind him? I think WR is almost a must, if not in the 2nd round then the 3rd. Hopkins has very good hand. Not a speed demon but quick feet and the ability to break out of his routes help him get open. Uses his body well screening off the defender. To be honest, I would not be surprised if we trade down with this pick and try to get our hands on another 3rd.

3- Le'Veon Bell, RB. Good field vision, able to see lanes even when they are not where they were suppose to be. Seems to build speed as he runs and may not do as well running outside. Good hand in a passing game. Good in pass protection. Randle, and Michael possible here.

4- JJ Wilcox, SS. JJ had a good season in this his very first year as a SS. His first 3 year he spent as a slot reciver, and a pretty good one. Only had 2 ints, but I would look for that to increace as he learns the position better.

5- David Quessenberry, OL. I like Quessenberry here because he can play any position on the line. I think he could back up either OT, could work his way into starting as a OG, and could fill in as OC if needed. Instant Depth.

6- Terry Hawthorne, CB. A speedy CB that finished the year with 60 TT, 8 pass breakups, and 3 INTS.

6- Knile Davis, RB. Has all the talent you can ask for, just needs to stay on the field. If he is here at this point, I think you have to give him a shot.

7- Brad Sorensen, QB. Give him a year or two holding the clip board and you will have a solid backup QB. What else can you ask out of the 7th round.

Steeltreal
04-16-2013, 12:18 PM
1) Desmond Trufant CB - Breaking the mold of mid round DBs, despite the predraft visits, I think he can impact games as a rookie incase of injury, Long look at him when scouting Taamu

2) Gio Bernard RB - only weakness might be pass blocking but why ask a homerun hitter to do that anyway, can be our startimg returner while he learns the offense

3) John Simon OLB - position depth pick, Id take Jamie Collins here if hes still available

4) Phillip Thomas SS - might drop due to playing in thr WAC and tacking concerns against NFL big bodies, played in a 3-4 scheme can be ready to go as soon as 2014

5) Malliciah Goodman DE - another depth pick, has time to add weight , almost considered QB here

6) Omeregi Uzi OG - Interior depth

Steeltreal
04-16-2013, 12:41 PM
6b) Daimion Stafford S Nebraska
7) Zach Rogers WR Tennessee

Shoes
04-16-2013, 09:59 PM
Less than 10 days guys.

1- Jarvis Jones, OlB. Yes I am sticking with Jones as my pick. I have been trying to keep a close eye on Jones, checking on reports and rumors, and it looks like Jones may not recover from the slide he had taken a few weeks ago. This may still be an outside shot, but one I think could happen for us. Then again,,,, it only takes one team.

2- DeAndre Hopkins, WR. The Steelers seemed to have painted themselves into a corner. What if we can not sign Sanders next year, what would we have behind him? I think WR is almost a must, if not in the 2nd round then the 3rd. Hopkins has very good hand. Not a speed demon but quick feet and the ability to break out of his routes help him get open. Uses his body well screening off the defender. To be honest, I would not be surprised if we trade down with this pick and try to get our hands on another 3rd.

3- Le'Veon Bell, RB. Good field vision, able to see lanes even when they are not where they were suppose to be. Seems to build speed as he runs and may not do as well running outside. Good hand in a passing game. Good in pass protection. Randle, and Michael possible here.

4- JJ Wilcox, SS. JJ had a good season in this his very first year as a SS. His first 3 year he spent as a slot reciver, and a pretty good one. Only had 2 ints, but I would look for that to increace as he learns the position better.

5- David Quessenberry, OL. I like Quessenberry here because he can play any position on the line. I think he could back up either OT, could work his way into starting as a OG, and could fill in as OC if needed. Instant Depth.

6- Terry Hawthorne, CB. A speedy CB that finished the year with 60 TT, 8 pass breakups, and 3 INTS.

6- Knile Davis, RB. Has all the talent you can ask for, just needs to stay on the field. If he is here at this point, I think you have to give him a shot.

7- Brad Sorensen, QB. Give him a year or two holding the clip board and you will have a solid backup QB. What else can you ask out of the 7th round.

There weren't many who thought DeCastro would be a Steeler. It could happen Bro!

Mojouw
04-17-2013, 12:30 PM
So I am nowhere near as knowledgeable as most about player rankings and who goes in what round. I shamelessly stole the round designations from a site I trust and selected the players based on freely available information on the web. That being said...any feedback would be more than welcome!

1.017 – Falling BPA or Desmond Trufant CB Washington or Xavier Rhodes CB FSU or Kenny Vaccaro S Texas
2.048 – Brandon Williams DT Missouri Southern or J. Cyprien S Florida International or DJ Swearinger S South Carolina
3.079 – Aaron Dobson WR Marshall or Travis Kelce TE Cincinatti
4.115 – Kenny Stills WR Oklahoma or Chris Harper WR K State (if the pick is Dobson, then a LB here?)
5.150 – Tavares King WR Georgia or Nico Johnson LB Alabama or Zac Dysert QB Miami of Ohio
6.186 – Same as above if any available
6.206 – Denard Robinson WR Michigan or BPA
7.223 – BPA

I know the big flaws in this are that I didn't select any OLB, or Offensive lineman or a RB. In that sense this is not a very realistic scenario. That being said, I like a lot of the players on that list and have become really worried about the Steelers depth at the passing game skill positions. Also, Ahmad Bradshaw really would allow them to take a pass on the RB position this year. In the above, I decided that the Steelers really want to take a season and see what they have in Worilds, Carter, and Robinson.

Steeltreal
04-17-2013, 02:47 PM
Dont think TE that early would benefit this team because of the resigning of Spaeth, return of David Johnsoon, and Paulson wasnt bad as a rookie.

Dwinsgames
04-17-2013, 04:07 PM
Kelce is a hell of a prospect , some have likened him to Gronk ... I have not seen much of him myself just going off some highlights I have seen and articles / scouting reports I have read ... interesting prospect none the less ...

as for Spaeth if we drafted a rookie TE spaeth may not even make the roster , they would be on level ground in terms to learning the system , whomever was more talented would make the team the other would be the odd man out IMO ..

just my opinion

st33lersguy
04-17-2013, 05:28 PM
A lot of needs exceed TE, drafting one before maybe the 6th or 7th round would be bad

Dwinsgames
04-17-2013, 07:26 PM
A lot of needs exceed TE, drafting one before maybe the 6th or 7th round would be bad

don't get me wrong I love Heath Miller but we have to face the facts with him as well as anyone else , he is 30 , he is coming off a severe knee injury , he may miss a portion of this season meaning his next full season he will be 31 years of age .... also with todays NFL many teams are utilizing two TEs sets with BOTH TE's threats in the passing game ... if we could get another talented TE in the middle rounds to put into the mix ( we all know or should know Spaeth is not the future and I doubt Paulson is either ) it would also lessen the burden on the WRs esp in terms of double coverage if multiple TEs are real threats in the passing game ...

I would not be opposed to it , not that what I am or am not opposed to makes a hill of beans to the Steelers front office brass ... if lessening the burden on the WRs can happen I am all for it because I am not sure if we have a WR who can handle double coverage game in game out

Steeltreal
04-17-2013, 08:04 PM
Phillip Thomas scouting report

System

Fresno State adopted the 3-4 defense under new head coach Tim DeRuyter before last season and modeled it after Dick LeBeau and the Pittsburgh Steelers defense. DeRuyter is quoted as saying, according to SI.com, Thomas is "our Troy Polamalu."

Thomas would line up all over the place for the Bulldogs defense. He’d line up as the deep safety in a single-deep look and then would be up in the box coming off the edge on the very next play. He’d line up against the slot receiver head-on and play both man and zone coverages from the same look.

They’d play man under with two- and three-deep looks where Thomas would show his impressive range and instincts in making plays out in space.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1599859-phillip-thomas-scouting-report-nfl-outlook-for-fresno-state-safety

st33lersguy
04-17-2013, 09:06 PM
don't get me wrong I love Heath Miller but we have to face the facts with him as well as anyone else , he is 30 , he is coming off a severe knee injury , he may miss a portion of this season meaning his next full season he will be 31 years of age .... also with todays NFL many teams are utilizing two TEs sets with BOTH TE's threats in the passing game ... if we could get another talented TE in the middle rounds to put into the mix ( we all know or should know Spaeth is not the future and I doubt Paulson is either ) it would also lessen the burden on the WRs esp in terms of double coverage if multiple TEs are real threats in the passing game ...

I would not be opposed to it , not that what I am or am not opposed to makes a hill of beans to the Steelers front office brass ... if lessening the burden on the WRs can happen I am all for it because I am not sure if we have a WR who can handle double coverage game in game out

The simple fact is, we have too many bigger needs to be spending on an early pick on a tight end.

Dwinsgames
04-17-2013, 09:48 PM
The simple fact is, we have too many bigger needs to be spending on an early pick on a tight end.

IF Miller misses half a season who are you going to trot out there as a Receiving threat ?

hint we do not have one on the roster I am convinced is able to do that job ...

Put me down for not being opposed to Kelce in the 4th if he is there ( he will probably be gone in the 3rd though ) just to much value to pass on with such little talent on the roster at TE after Miller

Steeltreal
04-18-2013, 01:12 AM
Trade back with Atlanta mock. Falcons select 1-17 Desmond Trufant
Steelers acquire 1-30, 2-60, 5- 163

1-30. Kevin Minter - Given a season to takeover starting role.
2-48. Gio Bernard - my favorite player in CFB last year
2-60. Jamie Collins - comes in and competes for starting role
3-79. Phillip Thomas - SS see above
4. 115 Blidi Wreh Wilson - CB Conneticut
5. 150 Xavier Nixon T Florida
5. 163 Tavarres King WR Georgia
6. 186 Dion Sims TE Mich St.
6. 206 Duke Williams Nevada FS
7. 223 T.J. Barnes DT Georgia Tech

vtw8lftr
04-20-2013, 11:44 PM
I'm thinking this would satisfy me... competition at LB, WR and RB, future safety in Shamarko or Micah since he is seen as more of a safety, developmental Landry pick but I don't see him being available in the 6th.

1-17 Jarvis Jones - OLB, Georgia
2-17 Arthur Brown - ILB, Kansas St
3-17 Le'Veon Bell - RB, Michigan St
4-17 Shamarko Thomas - S, Syracuse
5-17 Marcus Davis - WR, Virginia Tech
6-17 Landry Jones - QB, Oklahoma
6-38 Micah Hyde - CB, Iowa
7-17 Brandon Kaufman - WR, Eastern Washington

BigCurt
04-20-2013, 11:48 PM
I would love to think the Steelers could get Brown in the 2nd round, but that's likely wishful thinking. And as for Landry Jones, I'd only draft him in the 8th round.

SteelerFanInStl
04-21-2013, 11:12 AM
IF Miller misses half a season who are you going to trot out there as a Receiving threat ?

hint we do not have one on the roster I am convinced is able to do that job ...

Put me down for not being opposed to Kelce in the 4th if he is there ( he will probably be gone in the 3rd though ) just to much value to pass on with such little talent on the roster at TE after Miller

I agree. Without Miller, we don't have anyone on our roster who's even a capable starting TE.

Texasteel
04-21-2013, 11:40 AM
I agree. Without Miller, we don't have anyone on our roster who's even a capable starting TE.

This is why, of late, I have warmed up a little to taking a TE in the 1st or 2nd round, provided a few other players are not there, and he is the best option at the time. One thing to remember about Eifert is that at times ND did line him up outside as a WR. Deep threat? Not likely, but he is a large kid that can make plays in the middle. IMO hes not a #17 player, but a trade down is an option. Thursday is going to be fun. We may not have any idea who we are going to take till the card is read.

stillers4me
04-21-2013, 11:47 AM
This is why, of late, I have warmed up a little to taking a TE in the 1st or 2nd round, provided a few other players are not there, and he is the best option at the time. One thing to remember about Eifert is that at times ND did line him up outside as a WR. Deep threat? Not likely, but he is a large kid that can make plays in the middle. IMO hes not a #17 player, but a trade down is an option. Thursday is going to be fun. We may not have any idea who we are going to take till the card is read.

I'm excited for Thursday! :applaudit:

I have no clue what direction we are going to take.....I just know we have many needs and the future of our team rests on Colbert, Tomlin and the Rooney's this week. I think it's going to come to to the best player available at one of our top 2 or 3 needs. Here we go! :tt03:

Dwinsgames
04-21-2013, 11:51 AM
Thursday is going to be fun. We may not have any idea who we are going to take till the card is read.

Fun .... well I dunno about that , I suspect I will be pissed because they will likely over draft someone without a trade down if the status quo is off the board .....

Not having a clue who they will draft is potentially spot on .... we could end up with NOBODY worthy of the pick at 17 or 4 guys or so to pick from , someone almost always takes a head scratcher pick early , someone else always reaches a bit , and then someone selects a pos nobody sees coming instead of the guy everyone in the world thinks they will take .... then if a guy like Jones Medical makes him slide you have 4 guys that probably should not be on the board all sitting pretty waiting for us to take 1 of them ... you just never know for sure

Texasteel
04-21-2013, 11:59 AM
Fun .... well I dunno about that , I suspect I will be pissed because they will likely over draft someone without a trade down if the status quo is off the board .....

If that happens, give me a call, I'll try to talk you down. Maybe I'll start an Emergency Draft Hotline. Call 515-WHOTHEHELLISTHAT. Whops, to many numbers, I'll figure something by Thursday.

Steeltreal
04-21-2013, 12:27 PM
Heres my quick preview ( guess ) of the teams potential 17 player draft board setup without the players names or ranking.

3 OT
1 G
1 TE
1 WR
5 DE/OLB
2 DT
3 CB
1 S

Aussie_steeler
04-22-2013, 06:48 AM
Are we having a mock draft contest this year?

my first crack would be

1.17 Star Lotulelei DT Utah
2.48 Arthur Brown LB Kansas State
3.79 Steadman Bailey WR WVU
4.115 Shawn Williams S Georgia
5.150 LeVeon Bell RB Michigan State
6.186 Josh Boyce WR TCU
6.206 Terry Hawthorne CB Illinois
7.223 Ryan Griffin QB Tulane

Steeltreal
04-22-2013, 11:12 AM
Are we having a mock draft contest this year?

my first crack would be

1.17 Star Lotulelei DT Utah
2.48 Arthur Brown LB Kansas State
3.79 Steadman Bailey WR WVU
4.115 Shawn Williams S Georgia
5.150 LeVeon Bell RB Michigan State
6.186 Josh Boyce WR TCU
6.206 Terry Hawthorne CB Illinois
7.223 Ryan Griffin QB Tulane
I think thats a good spot for LeVeon Bell

Texasteel
04-22-2013, 12:11 PM
Draft contest is up guy. Don't miss it. Sorry I was so late.

st33lersguy
04-22-2013, 07:11 PM
If Kenny Vaccaro or a top tier OLB are not available, the Steelers should trade down. I think there is more value at the end of the first round for the Steelers. Trading down with San Fran and getting picks 31 and 34 would be very nice

Steeltreal
04-24-2013, 09:56 PM
If Kenny Vaccaro or a top tier OLB are not available, the Steelers should trade down. I think there is more value at the end of the first round for the Steelers. Trading down with San Fran and getting picks 31 and 34 would be very nice

There may be 3 teams in the back end of the first, Vikings, Giants, Atlanta, all looking to move up for Defensive starters. Tyler Eifert or Arthur Brown are probably good late 1st that can contribute year 1.

Texasteel
04-25-2013, 01:46 PM
I've got a six pack of Woodchuck Hard Cider, thank you Perry, a pound of wings ready to fix, a bag of kettel chips, and a banner above my recliner that says " Welcome Mr. Jones ". Have I forgotten anything?

Shoes
04-25-2013, 06:44 PM
I've got a six pack of Woodchuck Hard Cider, thank you Perry, a pound of wings ready to fix, a bag of kettel chips, and a banner above my recliner that says " Welcome Mr. Jones ". Have I forgotten anything?

:chuckle:

tube517
04-25-2013, 06:59 PM

That's all?? :chuckle:

st33lersguy
04-25-2013, 09:05 PM
How can this pick not be Jarvis Jones. This has to be Jarvis Jones

vtw8lftr
04-25-2013, 09:26 PM
So far so good ;)

I'm thinking this would satisfy me... competition at LB, WR and RB, future safety in Shamarko or Micah since he is seen as more of a safety, developmental Landry pick but I don't see him being available in the 6th.

Seven
04-25-2013, 09:33 PM
What the hell is with all these guards going so early?

Dwinsgames
04-25-2013, 11:14 PM
What the hell is with all these guards going so early?

2 killer guards both rated higher than Decastro

43Hitman
04-25-2013, 11:26 PM
Kudos to those that predicted us taking J. Jones. Helluva a pick imo.

Sent from my ADR6325 using Tapatalk 2

vtw8lftr
04-26-2013, 08:59 PM

Freaking Brown was there in the 2nd and they went after Le'veon... don't get it... must have known someone else was interested in him before it got around to the 3rd...

Dwinsgames
04-26-2013, 09:40 PM
I am shocked Nile Davis went in the 3rd round , measurable's strike yet again ... love the kid but not in the 3rd round

vtw8lftr
04-27-2013, 01:14 PM
Well 3 out of 4 so far... had the chance of picking up Brown in the 2nd...

Dwinsgames
04-27-2013, 01:15 PM
Jesse Williams in the 5th round ... are you kidding me ????

is he under investigation for attempted Murder or something ?

- - - Updated - - -

Well 3 out of 4 so far... had the chance of picking up Brown in the 2nd...

dam good mock

vtw8lftr
04-27-2013, 01:16 PM
Just saw they grabbed Landry as well... 4 out of 5...

ALLD
04-27-2013, 02:18 PM
We got DB J.T. Thomas in the 4th round. http://pittsburghsportsdailybulletin.wordpress.com/2011/12/16/j-t-thomas-steelers-cornerback-1973-1982/

...no wait, that's Shamarko.