PDA

View Full Version : Kordell and Bouchette still whining after all these years.

zulater
02-02-2013, 02:33 PM
The old quarterback sees Colin Kaepernick, sees the tattoos, sees the youth, sees the success, sees himself.
Kordell Stewart's arms are not filled with tats and he looks nothing like the young San Francisco phenom, at least not off the field. On the field, Stewart sees Kaepernick's style of play as the kind he helped usher into the NFL at quarterback when, he says, the NFL wasn't quite ready for it.
"I love it, man, he's fast; once he's out in the open, no one's catching him," said Stewart, who is back in his hometown with his two radio partners broadcasting their daily talk show on Atlanta's 92.9 FM The Game. "Obviously, he's a bigger version than all the quarterbacks.
"I promise you, I love to watch him play. He's as efficient as any dropback quarterback in the game and he's capable of running it."
Like Stewart, Kaepernick was drafted in the second round. Unlike Stewart, his team did not force him to play wide receiver first. Kaepernick came along when the mobile quarterback has not only been accepted by the NFL, but has flourished all over the league.
In Stewart's day, the pocket passer was still in vogue, and the pioneers who tried to change that thinking were rare and often unappreciated.
Had he come along now, he believes he would have fit right in with the changing face of the NFL quarterback.
"I would say it would help my case and my cause a little bit more," Stewart said.
"To see the quarterbacks who made the playoffs this year, even Andrew Luck is a mobile quarterback, and he moves better than people give him credit for, and he's faster than people say he is, and he's a true dropback quarterback."
There is Washington's Robert Griffin (RG III), Seattle's Russell Wilson and Carolina's Cam Newton and others. The colleges produce more read-option quarterbacks, and NFL teams practically are forced to adapt.
West Virginia's Geno Smith has a good chance to be the first quarterback drafted this year, and he comes with a similar style.
Back in the second half of the 1990s and early part of this century, the Steelers and their many, many offensive coordinators just did not know what to do with Stewart. These men grew up with a pocket passer playing quarterback and did not have the playbooks to accommodate the different talents that were Stewart's.
"They knew what they had, they just weren't ready to accept it 100 percent," Stewart said.
He was the knuckleball pitcher managed by men who never had experience with one, never knew what to do with him, didn't have the patience to allow him to do his thing.
"If I were to come in at this time, I don't think the issues we had in Pittsburgh with trying to figure it out and be patient would have ever occurred," said Stewart.
"We would have kept coordinators around, guys wouldn't have been apt to want to run away. It's the fad in the game right now, and defenses are so much faster than they were back then, it would have to be accepted right now.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/super-bowl-timing-is-everything-and-its-perfect-timing-for-49ers-qb-673068/#ixzz2Jm9Em7Op

These guys are living in fantasy land. :doh: Kordell wasn't anywhere near as good as passer as Kaepernick, Luck, Griffin, or Wilson are. And more to the point they all are 100x better than Kordell from the shoulders up!

Kordell didn't fall short due to lack of orginizational support. He fell short because he couldn't read a defense to save his life, rarely could hit anything but a stationary target, lacked leadership qualities, and choked in big games.

fansince'76
02-02-2013, 03:47 PM
Sorry Korkie, the fact of the matter is you sucked as a QB. Stop blaming your coaches for it. If anything, you should be thankful that you were given five+ seasons as a starting QB in which time you helped piss away two trips to the Super Bowl and a good chunk of Jerome Bettis' prime years to prove yourself. So please, just STFU already.

Count Steeler
02-02-2013, 04:23 PM
Slash has a photogenic memory. Remembers things to make himself look better.

Dwinsgames
02-02-2013, 04:26 PM
may have been the best WR the team ever had if he would have been used there for a dozen solid years full time , since he was not ...... and this is all could of should of would of BUT did not ...

I will save my efforts for other threads ...

smokin3000gt
02-02-2013, 04:50 PM
The more time that goes by, the bigger legend he is in his own mind. This guy will never stop pointing the finger at everyone else. I'm tired of his sour grapes. 5 years is more then enough time to allow someone/something to develop. If it hasn't by then, you eventually have to look at yourself.

ALLD
02-02-2013, 06:05 PM
The dude rewrites more history than a female Communist Party member on the rag.

steel striker
02-02-2013, 07:06 PM
Sometimes these former players don't know how good or not so good they were when they played the game. Kordell never showed up in a big play off game and, you never knew what Kordell was going to show up on any given Sunday as well.

zulater
02-02-2013, 07:38 PM
Sorry Korkie, the fact of the matter is you sucked as a QB. Stop blaming your coaches for it. If anything, you should be thankful that you were given five+ seasons as a starting QB in which time you helped piss away two trips to the Super Bowl and a good chunk of Jerome Bettis' prime years to prove yourself. So please, just STFU already.

Besides an in his prime Bettis, he had a top five offensive line for as many years as not. Imagine Ben with that kind of supporting cast.

Speaking of which I'd venture to say the 95- 96-97, and 01 teams were overall more talented than any team Ben has quarterbacked. ( yes I know O'Donnell and Tomcak were part of that too) And here we have people bitching about Ben. They forget how a talented team can rot on the vine if it gets substandard qb play in the games that matter most.

Steeldude
02-02-2013, 08:59 PM
IMO, making Kordell the starting QB is hands down the worst decision in Steelers' history, if not the history of the NFL.

Edman
02-02-2013, 09:03 PM
I watched Colin Kaepernick against the Packers and Falcons.

The kid is damn good and I never remember Korkie ever playing that well in ANY postseason game. I never remember it because it never happened.

Korkie first postseason game? The Steelers struggle to beat a undermanned Patriots team winning by a paltry score of 7-6 in 1997. Yes. Of course that team went on lose the next week against Denver, where Korkie threw his three INT's in a 3-point loss and yet another wasted Cowher season.

Dwinsgames
02-02-2013, 09:18 PM
IMO, making Kordell the starting QB is hands down the worst decision in Steelers' history, if not the history of the NFL.

naa not close to the " worst " but it deserves mention ....

think at some of the Lineman we brought in as FA and handed them starting jobs ....

Justin Hartwig , J.Scott ..... think about Kent Graham .......
Think about letting Woodson go because he was " done " .....

how about Jay Remersmia ( sp ) the pass catching TE we lauded for .....
how about Darnell Wolford ???

Cutting Johnie Unitas in 1955 was the franchises biggest mistake

lots of blunders far larger than Korkie that did NOTHING to help this team at least Korkie had a few nice games and had some skills running the ball ...was he a mistake at QB , sure , was he the biggest mistake in this teams history .. NOT by a long shot ....

X-Terminator
02-02-2013, 09:49 PM

Yep. This, along with letting Woodson walk and passing on Marino in 1983 were all bigger franchise mistakes than making Kordell QB. That said, Korky really needs to stop whining. He wasn't any good as a QB, and that is why his career was a failure. Time to man up and admit it.

tube517
02-02-2013, 10:05 PM

think at some of the Lineman we brought in as FA and handed them starting jobs ....

lots of blunders far larger than Korkie that did NOTHING to help this team at least Korkie had a few nice games and had some skills running the ball ...was he a mistake at QB , sure , was he the biggest mistake in this teams history .. NOT by a long shot ....

Sean Mahan.

steelreserve
02-02-2013, 10:05 PM
Notice how he says Kaepernick is a great dropback passer? That's about where I tuned out, cause sorry Kordell, you couldn't throw an accurate dropback pass if your life depended on it. You were great at running trick plays because there was always some guy wide open 30 yards down the field, which made things way easier on you. But as a QB, you sucked.

Devilsdancefloor
02-02-2013, 10:12 PM
if he would have embraced the slash roll he would have been a lot better and had probably at least 1 more contract, but he had 5 years and couldnt win sorry korky you blew it

86WARD
02-02-2013, 11:35 PM
Sean Mahan.

I just cringe into the fetal position when I hear that name...

Steeldude
02-03-2013, 01:35 AM

I'll take Graham over Kordell every time. How could Graham be a worse decision? He was kept only a year and the salary wasn't much. I will never understand, and I mean never understand, how anyone could think that Kordell was an NFL QB.

Letting Woodson go was a salary cap issue. I think they should have kept him also, but giving a WR the starting QB position for 5+ years and giving him a huge raise for incompetency is the worst. The Steelers could have had at least one or two SB trips with an average pocket QB instead of the moron Kordell. Kordell was a cancer the team had to overcome in every game. The only thing that was consistent with him was playing poorly and unfortunately, his durability.

Those are lineman who played a season or two. This is the main focal point of the offense. At least Jay Riemersma and Donnell Woolford had some success at their positions. Kordell was just awful his entire career. It was so painful watching him throw. During the Kordell Experiment I was never sure of a win. I knew that somehow, in some way, Kordell would lose the game for the Steelers. I knew for a fact the Steelers would never go to a SB with that buffoon playing QB. With Stoudt I had a tiny glimmer of hope, but with Kordell I knew it was a lost cause.

zulater
02-03-2013, 10:03 AM
Yep. This, along with letting Woodson walk and passing on Marino in 1983 were all bigger franchise mistakes than making Kordell QB. That said, Korky really needs to stop whining. He wasn't any good as a QB, and that is why his career was a failure. Time to man up and admit it.

The reason they let Woodson go was because he wanted to keep playing corner, and after he blew out his knee he just wasn't capable of doing so at a high enough level to justify his salary demands. If you remember Rod went to San Fran and had a poor season there at corner for a pretty hefty sum, and they decided to release him. It wasn't until then that Rod realized that his future in the league would require a position change to safety.

I think I read something a few years ago that the Steelers tried to talk him into moving to safety before they parted company with him, but at that point Rod wasn't willing.

Anyway bottom line I think the Steelers hand was forced at the time and I don't see that being a bad move on their part. Even though watching Rod finish his career elsewhere was often painfull to us all.

Dwinsgames
02-03-2013, 10:28 AM
I'll take Graham over Kordell every time. How could Graham be a worse decision? He was kept only a year and the salary wasn't much. I will never understand, and I mean never understand, how anyone could think that Kordell was an NFL QB.

Letting Woodson go was a salary cap issue. I think they should have kept him also, but giving a WR the starting QB position for 5+ years and giving him a huge raise for incompetency is the worst. The Steelers could have had at least one or two SB trips with an average pocket QB instead of the moron Kordell. Kordell was a cancer the team had to overcome in every game. The only thing that was consistent with him was playing poorly and unfortunately, his durability.

Those are lineman who played a season or two. This is the main focal point of the offense. At least Jay Riemersma and Donnell Woolford had some success at their positions. Kordell was just awful his entire career. It was so painful watching him throw. During the Kordell Experiment I was never sure of a win. I knew that somehow, in some way, Kordell would lose the game for the Steelers. I knew for a fact the Steelers would never go to a SB with that buffoon playing QB. With Stoudt I had a tiny glimmer of hope, but with Kordell I knew it was a lost cause.

sorry as bad as Korkie was none of those players had as much success as he did ( albeit not much ) did any of the guys above make the pro bowl in black n gold ( we are talking Steelers career wise here )? Kordell sucked but was head and shoulders better than those other guys and claiming he wasnt is just blind ignorance IMO

7SteelGal43
02-03-2013, 10:41 AM

Look at what we had at QB between the Bradshaw era and Ben era. Oh yeah, the same years that spanned Marino's career (for all intents and purposes). %^&$#(*&%^$#%&^*(()*&%&&$%##@&(**^$&%(*_

touchdownward
02-03-2013, 10:41 AM
Imagine if Hines Ward would have had Kordell's mind set hell bent on being a QB. Although Ward played several positions at UGA he mostly played QB due to another QB's cronic injuries. He's drafted by the Steelers as a WR and the rest is history. A shoe in HOF first rounder compared to nothing but bitter feelings for Kordell.

zulater
02-03-2013, 10:57 AM
Imagine if Hines Ward would have had Kordell's mind set hell bent on being a QB. Although Ward played several positions at UGA he mostly played QB due to another QB's cronic injuries. He's drafted by the Steelers as a WR and the rest is history. A shoe in HOF first rounder compared to nothing but bitter feelings for Kordell.

The guy that I think might have been able to play NFL qb that wasn't given a chance was Antoine Randle El.