PDA

View Full Version : Goodell: Steelers’ game in London already sold out

SteelerEmpire
02-01-2013, 05:38 PM
NEW ORLEANS — ...The Steelers haven't played a regular-season game outside of North America in their 80-year history...

LINK: http://triblive.com/sports/nfl/3379173-74/steelers-game-season#axzz2Jh3PKoVl

GodfatherofSoul
02-01-2013, 06:48 PM
Hmmph...I was toying w/ the idea of going overseas to watch.

Craic
02-02-2013, 01:04 AM
What I don't get is why we're not looking to expand North before going across the ocean. I mean, it'd make a whole lot more sense putting a team in Vancouver or Montreal. Mexico I can understand, at least while the drug wars are raging.

86WARD
02-02-2013, 05:22 AM
What I don't get is why they are trying to expand...lol. Lets get a more watered down product.

fansince'76
02-02-2013, 06:14 AM
What I don't get is why they are trying to expand...lol. Lets get a more watered down product.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_wNZZ__BLJDI/TNodLwXWu5I/AAAAAAAABYU/PXJfzyuC3M0/s1600/goodell+cash.png

Godfather
02-02-2013, 08:37 AM
32 is a perfect number. It works out great for scheduling.

I guess I could see 34 being workable. The one fifth place team in each conference could play each conference mate once and the other fifth place team once. There could be a 17-game season with one neutral site game either in a hungry US city or overseas. That would also keep the schedule balanced. Right now everyone plays four first place teams, four second place teams, four third place teams, and four fourth place teams. That would add one fifth place team. (Of course, that's always based on the previous year so some teams end up with a tougher schedule).

Count Steeler
02-02-2013, 08:58 AM
Why is there no team in LA?

crcsnail
02-02-2013, 09:31 AM
I managed to get a ticket on the day they went on sale , the 14 jan . They actually sold out the next day . There are still tickets available for the jags game . Guess there is a huge steeler nation in the uk . I'm gonna see if I can make a steelers universe banner to hold up. U guys might see it as I am seated lower level towards the corner of endzone . Have to hope for a few steelers TD 'S in my end :)

vader29
02-02-2013, 09:48 AM
How about a team in Hawaii or at least have a regular season game between two teams there instead of in Europe.

stillers4me
02-02-2013, 10:11 AM
I managed to get a ticket on the day they went on sale , the 14 jan . They actually sold out the next day . There are still tickets available for the jags game . Guess there is a huge steeler nation in the uk . I'm gonna see if I can make a steelers universe banner to hold up. U guys might see it as I am seated lower level towards the corner of endzone . Have to hope for a few steelers TD 'S in my end :)

Hey, congrats on scoring tickets! While I'm not thrilled with the whole overseas idea, for people like you, I'm happy you get a chance to see the Steelers in person.........have a fantastic time! I have a feeling it will be another "home game" for the Steelers with the stadium full of Terrible Towels!

silver & black
02-02-2013, 11:17 AM

Because the Raiders haven't moved back, yet. :jolly:

SteelerEmpire
02-02-2013, 11:46 AM

That would be cool. If you do get the hook up on the SU Banner we'll def. be watching for you. Post a new thread and let us know. And congrats on getting the tickets.
Also, whenever they announce plans for a team in England, inform us when the "name suggestions" for the new team begins. I'm pretty sure the NFL community will be creative on that one... lol.

X-Terminator
02-02-2013, 05:01 PM

Congrats, and have fun! :tt02: I will definitely look for that banner if you are able to make it!

oneforthetoe
02-02-2013, 05:37 PM
What I don't get is why we're not looking to expand North before going across the ocean. I mean, it'd make a whole lot more sense putting a team in Vancouver or Montreal. Mexico I can understand, at least while the drug wars are raging.

Agreed ....... although the CFL might not like it, but there would be little they could do about it.

The funny thing is Britain isn't even the right country in Europe to force feed the NFL into. Germany was the only country where NFL Europe had any real success. Heck, just make David Hasselhoff the official spokesmen for the team and the Germans will flock. After all Germany loves "the Hoff."

After Germany, I'd say it would be wiser to target some of the former Eastern Block countries like Poland, where the rejection of everything American is not quite as automatic.

To conclude: I think the only way you can put a team in Europe, and do it remotely effectively, would be to put an entire four team division in Europe at one time. Since a third + of the games are played within the division that cuts down on the travel nightmare significantly. Plus, for teams traveling to Europe they might be able to play two teams in as row without flying back to the USA.

Of course, I'd be ok with no expansion - or go with Preacher's idea of North and South.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't get the impression that most of LA is all that upset about not having a team.

Butch
02-03-2013, 04:45 PM
Congrats on scoring tickets crcsnail and hope you and your sign make the highlights!!!

As for teams going overseas not for it at all not even for a game. NFL Europe was a great idea and helped teams in the long run but that didn't pan out no reason to move our game over the ocean. Would love to see San Antonio get a team but Jerry Jones won't stand for that so I aint holdin' my breath.

crcsnail
02-03-2013, 06:03 PM
I have to agree with u guys . I also disagree with NFL teams coming over here . But I'm glad they are this year. It is still an ambition to come to pittsburgh and see the Steelers and the city. Was really hoping to do it this year as it is my 50th birthday in June. But as the steelers are coming here and my daughter has just given me and wifey our first grandchild ( a boy named Jack ) I guess it will have to wait a couple of more years. :)

Moose
02-05-2013, 06:05 PM
I'm totally against the 'overseas' games. I wouldn't care if the games were just like a preseason type of game and not count on the record, but I think the overseas flight will affect the player's and their play and the win/loss will take tolls.

zulater
02-05-2013, 07:48 PM
Is this considered a Steelers home game?

Regardless it really sucks that either team would be forced to lose a home game. It's not fair to the ticket holders or the respective franchises.

salamander
02-05-2013, 08:32 PM
Is this considered a Steelers home game?

Regardless it really sucks that either team would be forced to lose a home game. It's not fair to the ticket holders or the respective franchises.

Nope, it's an "away" game for the Steelers. It's considered a home game for the Vikings.

zulater
02-05-2013, 08:40 PM
Nope, it's an "away" game for the Steelers. It's considered a home game for the Vikings.

Sucks for them, especially since the stadium will be filled with 75% Steeler fans.
:chuckle:

salamander
02-05-2013, 08:44 PM
Sucks for them, especially since the stadium will be filled with 75% Steeler fans.

I'm just fine with that. :lol:

Shoes
02-05-2013, 09:01 PM
I'm totally against the 'overseas' games. I wouldn't care if the games were just like a preseason type of game and not count on the record, but I think the overseas flight will affect the player's and their play and the win/loss will take tolls.

I've traveled countless times across the pond.....and beyond with no issues. I'm certain they will instruct the players on the do's and don'ts of overseas travel.

zulater
02-05-2013, 09:06 PM
If they ever do lengthen the season I wonder if they would go to a 17 game schedule and have every team play one neutral site game? You could even go into unused American markets such as Los Angeles, or Cleveland, er I mean Alabama etc...

Shoes
02-05-2013, 09:14 PM
If they ever do lengthen the season I wonder if they would go to a 17 game schedule and have every team play one neutral site game? You could even go into unused American markets such as Los Angeles, or Cleveland, er I mean Alabama etc...

crcsnail
09-08-2013, 07:40 AM
Sorry to drag this thread up again

But !!!!

MY TICKETS TURNED UP YESTERDAY !

YOI AND DOUBLE YOI !!!

Can u guess I'm a little bit excited :)

ALLD
09-08-2013, 08:10 AM
I am holding out doing any traveling until they put a team in Greenland.

TheRuneMeister
09-08-2013, 11:53 AM
Taking the trip from Denmark to London for the game. I've been to the International series before, and though graphics, flags, snd field are painted to fit rhe home team, the stadium will be filles with jerseys of all 32 teams. There will be a large Steelers crowd, but the Vikings have a lot of followers in Europe too.
i'll wave my towel like a crazy person though. Just to show that Steelers fans do not 'travel well'. We are simply everywhere :)