PDA

View Full Version : Bill Cowher: 8-8 won't trigger Steelers panic

Count Steeler
01-30-2013, 06:26 PM
NEW ORLEANS -- Bill Cowher knows all about what it's like to go 8-8 as the Steelers did last season. Worse, he knows what 7-9 and 6-10 feel like, and the panic that can go with records like those no matter how successful his teams were previously.

That panic, however, never came from within, and he predicts it won't occur this time, either, after the Steelers' worst record since Cowher's last team went 8-8 in 2006.

"No. 1, there's a history with this organization; they don't panic," said Cowher, who is in town for his duties for CBS, which will broadcast the Super Bowl. "You sit back, reassess, make some hard decisions."

Among those tough decisions could be to let some aging veterans go. Cowher had to do it with Hall of Famers like Rod Woodson and Dermontti Dawson, and other stars like Greg Lloyd, Carnell Lake and more. Mike Tomlin had to do it last season, and there will be more in the weeks ahead.

"It's the hardest thing in coaching," Cowher said. "I know Mike, how much he appreciates the guys who are out there battling, and the Rooneys appreciate that. But you know the hardest thing in the world sometimes is making sure that you assess a player for where he's at, not for where he's been. Sometimes, we get caught up remembering how they were and not how they are. In assessing that, those are the toughest decisions you have to make."

Cowher suggested players such as outside linebacker James Harrison, nose tackle Casey Hampton, inside linebacker Larry Foote and even safety Troy Polamalu could fall under that umbrella, and that wide receiver Mike Wallace and running back Rashard Mendenhall would leave as free agents.

"You're going to come up with a couple guys right now with Wallace and Mendenhall moving forward. There are some situations on defense with age issues, whether it's Casey or James, Foote, maybe Troy. One thing is, that's always going to come up with every team.

"You still have some veterans and youth, and I think they've always done a good job of that. You go back, there was such a fine line this year. Those games they won in the past they lost this year."

What should the Steelers do?

"Just don't overanalyze," said Cowher, whose Steelers teams went 149-90-1 over his 15 regular seasons, won two AFC championships and one Super Bowl. "That offensive line, you were starting two rookies at the end of the season, right guard and right tackle.

full story @ http://www.mcall.com/sports/mc-bill-cowher-steelers-0130-20130130,0,7490527.story

GBMelBlount
01-30-2013, 10:14 PM
For someone with average expectations there is no need to panic.

For someone who accepts nothing less than a Lombardi....it is cause for panic.

Craic
01-31-2013, 01:32 AM

Not sure how to take this statement. Are you being serious or did you forget a :sarcasm: smilie!

XxKnightxX
01-31-2013, 05:10 AM
No time for panic maintain the course.

3 years later. Cawhr Pawr is back.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

GBMelBlount
01-31-2013, 06:34 AM
Not sure how to take this statement. Are you being serious or did you forget a :sarcasm: smilie!

:chuckle:

I don't think panic is the right word Preach but I am very concerned because of what I see as a team mind set from the top down imo....

Apathy.

It is hard for me to put into words but there were things I read in the interview with Bicknell that reminded me of the type of coaches that I had a deep respect for and who motivated me (and my teammates) to give 110%.

I haven't seen that type of coaching (or playing) the last 2 years.

NJarhead
01-31-2013, 07:26 AM

I'm shocked to hear you say that, my friend. Panic is a waste of time and a friend to no one.

GBMelBlount
01-31-2013, 07:51 AM
I'm shocked to hear you say that, my friend. Panic is a waste of time and a friend to no one.

Gbmelblount

I don't think panic is the right word Preach but I am very concerned because of what I see as a team mind set from the top down imo....

Apathy is the problem imo NJ, and it is very concerning.

The coaches (on down) need a good kick in the ass.

Boot camp? :wink02:

NJarhead
01-31-2013, 08:08 AM
Apathy is the problem imo NJ, and it is very concerning. The coaches (on down) need a good kick in the ass.

Boot camp? :wink02:

Sure!

"If pain is all you repsond to, then pain is what you will recieve!" - Sgt. Stubbs, USMC DI. (my DI).

haha

86WARD
01-31-2013, 09:07 AM
Wouldn't be upset if one or all of those players left with the exception of Polamalu. I feel like he's in an injury rut and would hate to see him finish his career elsewhere being productive (Rod Woodson.)

Dwinsgames
01-31-2013, 11:54 AM

not sure Panic is the right word perhaps concern would be a better choice ?

It has always been my logic that anything less than a Lombardi is a missed opportunity or failed season ( no realistically you can not win the SB every year ) but that should be the goal of all 32 teams each and every year and when you do not meet your goal it is failure 31 teams fail every year ....

accepting it should NEVER be part of the equation because when you accept failure you breed / reproduce failure ..Tomlin is big for claiming acceptance ( that has always concerned me ) ...

Own it and refuse to accept it in the future would be a better way of facing it especially when you where so bad you could not make the playoffs with a very weak schedule ( our schedule was so weak no team drafting ahead of us played a weaker one or they would be drafting behind us ) ....

Never accept defeat or your doomed to repeat the process

GBMelBlount
01-31-2013, 09:58 PM
It has always been my logic that anything less than a Lombardi is a missed opportunity or failed season...

accepting it should NEVER be part of the equation because when you accept failure you breed / reproduce failure...

Never accept defeat or your doomed to repeat the process

I completely agree.

ShoeHorn
01-31-2013, 11:12 PM
As Big Ben once said, "I don't consider a season successful unless we win the Super Bowl."

zulater
02-01-2013, 10:53 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=odNar5wIzJU

Chris Hoke giving his Bill Cowher impersonation. :rofl:

There's also a serious point in here. Cowher invoked fear, even among his coaching staff. Something as simple as jumping offisdes on a 7 on 7 drill drew his ire and was dealt with.

Is the same true with Tomlin? :noidea: I just wonder if some of the undisciplined penalties the Steelers took at virtually an unprecendented level ( from the Steelers perspective) last season comes from too great a comfort level between the players and Tomlin? You play as you practice, and if the team isn't detailed and precise in practice it will show up in games.

Dwinsgames
02-01-2013, 11:26 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=odNar5wIzJU

Chris Hoke giving his Bill Cowher impersonation. :rofl:

There's also a serious point in here. Cowher invoked fear, even among his coaching staff. Something as simple as jumping offisdes on a 7 on 7 drill drew his ire and was dealt with.

Is the same true with Tomlin? :noidea: I just wonder if some of the undisciplined penalties the Steelers took at virtually an unprecendented level ( from the Steelers perspective) last season comes from too great a comfort level between the players and Tomlin? You play as you practice, and if the team isn't detailed and precise in practice it will show up in games.

I think I am bigger than Hoke now

zulater
02-01-2013, 11:29 AM
I think I am bigger than Hoke now

For whatever it's worth, Aaron Smith has shrunk quite a bit too since his playing days.

Dwinsgames
02-01-2013, 12:02 PM
For whatever it's worth, Aaron Smith has shrunk quite a bit too since his playing days.

yea seen him , its crazy the bulk these guys lose in such a short period of time ..... but naaaa these NFL players are not using anything to make them bigger , that would be crazy talk LOL

NJarhead
02-01-2013, 12:44 PM

Same with Faneca....and I can't find the photo for some reason.

SteelerFanInStl
02-01-2013, 04:09 PM
yea seen him , its crazy the bulk these guys lose in such a short period of time ..... but naaaa these NFL players are not using anything to make them bigger , that would be crazy talk LOL

At least they're not just getting fat like alot of the players. It's gotta be difficult for these guys to keep that weight on while playing.