PDA

View Full Version : A Q&A with Jack Bicknell Jr.

stillers4me
01-30-2013, 06:21 PM
One day after being hired as the Steelers offensive line coach, Jack Bicknell Jr. already was digging into the task of replacing Sean Kugler. There were meetings with Mike Tomlin, with offensive coordinator Todd Haley, even with General Manager Kevin Colbert with the team preparing for the scouting combine and then the NFL Draft, but Bicknell still took a few minutes out of his day to talk with Bob Labriola.

Q. Do you have a philosophy as an offensive line coach?

A. First of all, it’s about making sure you have players of great character. I believe the offensive line is the foundation for the football team. They’ve got to have good character, they’ve got to be tough because it’s a tough man’s game and I believe that starts up front. You need to get guys with character who are tough and have a great work ethic – and by that I mean the guys are on time, prepare harder than everyone else, and serve an example for the rest of the football team. Then when you take the field, they’ve got to be the example of toughness.

Q. How would you describe good offensive line play?.........

read more @ http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/A-QA-with-Jack-Bicknell-Jr/61a61b73-f9d0-4f0c-b954-976205dc383c

Count Steeler
01-30-2013, 06:41 PM
Q. After a game, is there a statistic that tells you the offensive line played well?

A. Rushing yardage. I always look to that. The protection stuff will take care of itself, but if you’re able to run the ball at people then that opens up everything else – you have the play-action game, you’re not in third-and-13 all day. The biggest thing I want to be able to do is run the football.

:applaudit:

Psycho Ward 86
01-30-2013, 06:51 PM
well, wants to be able to run the ball, heavily emphasizes intelligence over brawn, and talks a lot about scheme adaptability. sounds good. now for the results....?

GBMelBlount
01-30-2013, 06:59 PM
They’ve got to have good character, they’ve got to be tough because it’s a tough man’s game and I believe that starts up front.

You need to get guys with character who are tough and have a great work ethic

– and by that I mean the guys are on time, prepare harder than everyone else, and serve an example for the rest of the football team.

^^THIS

Always liked tough coaches.

Shoes
01-30-2013, 08:58 PM
A refreshing idea...discipline!

steelerdude15
01-30-2013, 11:07 PM
I really like reading about Bicknell. The more I read about him, the more I like. I also like what he said in his answers. I like what he said about the linemen being more disciplined, in better shape, etc. He can talk the talk, but can he walk the walk for the Steelers?

XxKnightxX
01-31-2013, 05:12 AM
Those few sentences made m say " man those guys are fucked" I dnt think dilligence or intitative has been part of the O line besides Pouncey.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

Austin87
02-01-2013, 03:37 AM
After reading that article, I can honestly say that I am excited about the hire. I just hope we can find a good balance between the running and passing game. If we can run effectively, we are set on offense. We already know we can pass the ball. If the rushing game comes right, it can only help an already good passing game.