PDA

View Full Version : Jerome Bettis Speaks Out About Gay Players In The*NFL

SteelerEmpire
01-30-2013, 01:07 PM
PITTSBURGH (KDKA) – Former Pittsburgh Steelers running back Jerome Bettis is speaking out about the challenges gay football playerswould face if they came out while playing in the NFL.

LINK: http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2013/01/30/jerome-bettis-speaks-out-about-gay-players-in-the-nfl/

NJarhead
01-30-2013, 01:24 PM
Wouldn't have expected anything different from him.

steelreserve
01-31-2013, 12:27 PM
Bettis said, “because it’s so testosterone driven, it’d be really really difficult for a gay player to stand up and say ‘hey, I’m gay and an NFL player.’”

Except on the Patriots, no doubt.

Whaddya think - $10 says that's where it happens first.

GoSlash27
01-31-2013, 05:06 PM

I'm not a betting man, but if I was I'd put my money on the Niners. If some guy comes out of the closet prior to the draft, They would trade up to grab him (even if they have no need in that position) just so they could say they were the first team to have an openly gay player.
Local politics are like that out there, and the team doesn't buck that.

Personally, I don't have a horse in this race. If he can play ball, suit up. I'd definitely prefer having an openly gay guy in the black 'n' gold over a loudmouth, showboating, accessory-to-murder, justice-obstructing, 6-different-unsupported-kids-by-4-different-baby-mammies piece of trash like Ray Lewis.
/but that's just me...

ALLD
01-31-2013, 06:17 PM
Shouldn't the first gay player come out in the CFL first?

Count Steeler
01-31-2013, 06:59 PM
Shouldn't the first gay player come out in the CFL first?

:heh: :buttkick: :chuckle:

Psycho Ward 86
01-31-2013, 08:34 PM
If some guy comes out of the closet prior to the draft, They would trade up to grab him (even if they have no need in that position) just so they could say they were the first team to have an openly gay player.
Local politics are like that out there, and the team doesn't buck that.

i just dont think thats true at all. what do you mean local politics? the team can buck a lot of things, including being tentative about drafting a gay player. theres just no way an entire organization will embrace a gay player ever imo. just impossible. its a sad reality. The only way i can see a team going ape wild for a player just because he's gay is if its an organization greatly lacking in finances/fans and that player is actually somewhat good.

jaguars anyone?

GodfatherofSoul
01-31-2013, 10:24 PM

I think Brady is gay, and I don't say that as an hyberbolic attack. His body language and even the trophy model wife who's the kind of girl who looks good on paper; but not the kind of tail he's capable of pulling. His pep speech in the Texans game just sounded *so* gay.

http://edgblogs.s3.amazonaws.com/mulher7por7/files/2011/03/gisele-in-rio1.jpg

SteelerEmpire
01-31-2013, 10:30 PM
I think Brady is gay, and I don't say that as an hyberbolic attack. His body language and even the trophy model wife who's the kind of girl who looks good on paper; but not the kind of tail he's capable of pulling. His pep speech in the Texans game just sounded *so* gay.

http://edgblogs.s3.amazonaws.com/mulher7por7/files/2011/03/gisele-in-rio1.jpg

I'm tryin to figure it out ???

http://allthingsjennifer.files.wordpress.com/2011/05/ist2_3489830_smiling_cricket_grasshopper_cartoon.j pg

Godfather
01-31-2013, 10:36 PM
If there's ever a player out of the closet, it would probably have to be a player who's so talented that most of the team is willing to overlook it in exchange for getting a Super Bowl ring.

It would probably have to be someplace like San Francisco/Atlanta/New Orleans, where the local culture is generally accepting. The players have to be at least somewhat open minded to live in a city like that. New York wouldn't be a good place because everything that happens there becomes a media circus.

steelreserve
02-01-2013, 02:22 AM
I think there are a few places where the fans wouldn't care about a gay player or would even get behind him (pun only sort of intended). SF/Oakland, Seattle, Miami, Sandy Eggo, maybe Phoenix, probably LA if they had a team. Actually not a lot more places than that. The question is whether the other players would also be so accepting, and I'd guess that in most cases, the answer is probably no, or at least that it's uncertain enough that the gay player would probably err on the side of keeping his mouth shut and not risking stepping into a shitstorm.

I do think there will be an "out" gay player within the next decade tops, but sadly probably because he gets cornered in some kind of compromising situation, either because he was followed by nosy people with cameras or because he ended up in a police report.

GoSlash27
02-01-2013, 05:53 AM
i just dont think thats true at all. what do you mean local politics? the team can buck a lot of things, including being tentative about drafting a gay player. theres just no way an entire organization will embrace a gay player ever imo. just impossible. its a sad reality. The only way i can see a team going ape wild for a player just because he's gay is if its an organization greatly lacking in finances/fans and that player is actually somewhat good.

jaguars anyone?

Here's what I mean by the politics of it:

http://www.sacbee.com/2013/01/31/5153922/49ers-defenders-bashes-the-idea.html

When Chris Culliver said he didn't want gays in the locker room, they had him out there issuing an apology the next day. They also issued a statement saying ""The San Francisco 49ers reject the comments that were made (Tuesday), and have addressed the matter with Chris," the statement read. "There is no place for discrimination within our organization at any level. We have and always will proudly support the (lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender) community."
Then, for good measure, they sent him out *again* to issue a formal apology in a press conference.

It's just different in San Francisco. That place is like Mecca to the LBGT community, and they dominate the local politics.

I'm not passing judgement on it. Not supporting or attacking it. I'm just saying that's how it is.

86WARD
02-01-2013, 06:20 AM
As far as the players go, it wouldn't make a difference what city. These guys are from all over the Country, they are going to be set in their views for the most part. So no matter where it is, the player is going to feel the way the player feels. As far as fans go, you might be on to something there.

T&B fan
02-01-2013, 08:36 AM
I thought we had a gay dude already ...Kordell Stewart

zulater
02-01-2013, 10:27 AM
An openly gay player would be the most protected player in the league. Any offhand remark, be it from a teammate, or opposing player would be refered straight to the commisioner's desk. Even heckling fans would be dealt with quickly in my opinion. No city wants to be labeled as "that city" so if you're found being abusive to an openly gay player you can bet there'll be an usher or policeman seeing you out of the building in short order. Basically "fag" would be dealt with the same as if you said the n-word.

Also I have no idea why so few gay players have come out after the fact? There's a fortune to be made for the first star or near star who writes of their time as a closeted gay in an NFL locker room.

st33lersguy
02-02-2013, 06:00 PM
An openly gay player would be the most protected player in the league. Any offhand remark, be it from a teammate, or opposing player would be refered straight to the commisioner's desk. Even heckling fans would be dealt with quickly in my opinion. No city wants to be labeled as "that city" so if you're found being abusive to an openly gay player you can bet there'll be an usher or policeman seeing you out of the building in short order. Basically "fag" would be dealt with the same as if you said the n-word.

Also I have no idea why so few gay players have come out after the fact? There's a fortune to be made for the first star or near star who writes of their time as a closeted gay in an NFL locker room.

In this world morbidly infected by political correctness, you are absolutely right

tube517
02-03-2013, 07:33 AM

Marsha is going to make a fortune

Sent from my Thrive using Tapatalk HD