PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Hiring Of Bicknell As The Offensive Line Coach Likely Means Zone Blocking

stillers4me
01-29-2013, 04:48 PM
The hiring of Jack Bicknell Jr. by the Pittsburgh Steelers Tuesday as their new offensive line coach means that we can probably expect to see a scheme slanted more towards zone blocking in 2013.

The Steelers primarily used a man/power scheme the last several years under the tutelage of Sean Kugler, who left to become the head coach of UTEP following the season, and that included a lot of straight ahead man on man and double teams with the occasional pull on the trap and counter.

While Bicknell is versed a little in the man scheme, he is better known for his affection for the zone scheme, which he ran a lot dating back to his time spent time at Boston College when he was their offensive line coach..............

read more @
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2013/01/steelers-hiring-of-jack-bicknell-jr-as-the-offensive-line-coach-likely-means-zone-blocking-scheme/

Count Steeler
01-29-2013, 05:13 PM
Just hope it cuts down on injuries.

Psycho Ward 86
01-29-2013, 05:39 PM
does haley play a big part in making that decision?

GBMelBlount
01-29-2013, 05:59 PM
The Chiefs went from 3.9 ypc to 4.8 ypc in his one season as O line coach.

He was also Doug Fluties center in 1984 (for us old timers). lol

With the athleticism of our younger linemen it makes sense.

43Hitman
01-29-2013, 06:04 PM
The Chiefs went from 3.9 ypc to 4.8 ypc in his one season as O line coach.

He was also Doug Fluties center in 1984 (for us old timers). lol

With the athleticism of our younger linemen it makes sense.

Ha! I was wondering why that name sounded so familiar.

Mojouw
01-29-2013, 06:45 PM
So we are back to big slow footed lineman in a scheme designed for nimble and quick guys? Didn't this end badly last time. I mean Pouncey can move and I guess DeCastro is supposed to be able to, but the rest of those guys are not good fits for a zone blocking scheme.

tube517
01-29-2013, 07:00 PM
Bicknell is going to zone blitz his o-linemen? :noidea: :chuckle:

Devilsdancefloor
01-29-2013, 07:33 PM
So we are back to big slow footed lineman in a scheme designed for nimble and quick guys? Didn't this end badly last time. I mean Pouncey can move and I guess DeCastro is supposed to be able to, but the rest of those guys are not good fits for a zone blocking scheme.

i was thinking the same thing

SteelerFanInStl
01-29-2013, 08:32 PM
Is he bringing Jamaal Charles with him?

vtw8lftr
01-29-2013, 10:54 PM
I'm thinking a future line of adams - decastro - pouncey - foster - gilbert might be young and quick enough to pull off the zone scheme given a couple of seasons to gel... time will tell but I am always hopeful.

GBMelBlount
01-30-2013, 06:30 AM
I'm thinking a future line of adams - decastro - pouncey - foster - gilbert might be young and quick enough to pull off the zone scheme given a couple of seasons to gel... time will tell but I am always hopeful.

I thin most of our bigger linemen ran 5.4 - 5.5 40's at the combine (including Gilbert I believe).

I realize this is straight speed but guessing Gilbert is perhaps average quickness at his current weight perhaps dropping the 20 pound beer guts may help.

Maybe this will send a message to the entire line to get in shape...

I also wonder if Beachum is better suited for the zone scheme.