PDA

View Full Version : Jack Bicknell Jr. Named Offensive Line Coach

fansince'76
01-29-2013, 03:11 PM
The Pittsburgh Steelers have named Jack Bicknell, Jr. as their new offensive line coach, it was announced today.

Bicknell is entering his fifth season in the NFL as an assistant coach, having served as the offensive line coach for Kansas City in 2012 and as the assistant offensive line coach for the New York Giants from 2009-11.

“I am excited to have Jack join the Pittsburgh Steelers,” Steelers Head Coach Mike Tomlin said. “Jack has a tremendous football pedigree and the background we were looking for to guide our offensive line in the upcoming years. I look forward to having him join our staff as we prepare for the upcoming 2013 season.”

Read more: Jack Bicknell Jr. Named Offensive Line Coach (http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Jack-Bicknell-Jr-Named-Offensive-Line-Coach/7a4c94d9-eb14-4fd4-ac1c-75f6dce76dbb)

blackngldblood
01-29-2013, 03:15 PM
sooo, whadda ya think? good hire? the giants line was pretty good with this man leading them.

GodfatherofSoul
01-29-2013, 03:21 PM
The Chiefs line looked pretty boss in the games I watched. Actually, as bad as their record was, they were one of those teams that were a handful of changes away from being really good. The defense played extremely well at times; especially when the offense didn't have them playing with their backs up against a wall. Charles is an awesome RB. They're one of those situations where a good coach is set up for a one season turnaround.

st33lersguy
01-29-2013, 03:39 PM
Yeah Jamal Charles ran for like 1,400 yards. This doesn't look like a bad hire

Psycho Ward 86
01-29-2013, 04:14 PM
looks like a step in the right direction. unlike kugler, who we all seemed to settle for being a "good o-line coach in buffalo for all the injuries he had," bicknell seems like he's done well regardless of where he's gone. ill take it

Dwinsgames
01-29-2013, 04:25 PM
time will tell ...

I have concerns we have personnel issues on the line and no matter who the coach is we simply will not be great at pass blocking and run blocking , we just for the most part are not athletic enough nor smart enough as a group to do both things well ...

seems like they do one or the other from a game to game basis and never do both in the same outing .... mental or physical ? maybe a little of both /shrug

stillers4me
01-29-2013, 04:53 PM
Mike Tomlin is a results-oriented guy. It was the correct play-call if it worked. The game plan was a good one if it led to a victory. A player’s performance is judged by the result of a particular game, or by the outcome of a season. Training camp was productive if the season that follows is successful.

So when it came time to hire an offensive line coach to replace Sean Kugler, Tomlin was true to himself. He decided on Jack Bicknell Jr. because at the previous places he worked the offensive line was successful.

During the time Bicknell was an assistant offensive line coach with the New York Giants, the team won Super Bowl XLVI at the end of a season in which the unit allowed only 28 sacks on the way to the offense finishing No. 5 in the league in passing. Then in 2012, Bicknell’s only season as the offensive line coach in Kansas City, the Chiefs ran the football very, very effectively...........

read more @ http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Tomlin-talks-about-Bicknell/22b133f7-625b-4596-8f9b-79c2d68c3bac

ALLD
01-29-2013, 05:08 PM
Is Bicknell also bringing the OL from the 2012 Giants?

GBMelBlount
01-29-2013, 06:39 PM
He was with KC last year.

SteelerFanInStl
01-29-2013, 08:39 PM
I don't know. He only has one year of experience as an OL coach (being an assistant doesn't count). The KC line did do very well last year. We'll have to wait and see on this one. I like it better than the Kugler hire though.

steelerdude15
01-30-2013, 02:11 PM
I like his background; that stands out to me the most.

steel striker
01-30-2013, 02:45 PM
You would think it would be an improvement and, time will tell. Should be interesting..