PDA

View Full Version : Interview: Big Ben seeking forgiveness and a chance to prove himself

siss
07-30-2010, 10:42 PM
As he drove toward Saint Vincent College today in a MINI Cooper, Ben Roethlisberger suddenly felt frightened. It wasn't the car, it wasn't the specter of the media horde awaiting him on campus, and it wasn't the impending arrival of NFL commissioner Roger Goodell next week.

The Steelers quarterback suddenly worried about the reaction fans would have toward him tomorrow afternoon when he takes the field for a public practice for the first time since a woman accused him of sexual assault in March.

"Driving up here today I was talking to my dad, and for the first time it hit me about what is about to happen and - who knows? I got scared. I really did," Mr. Roethlisberger told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette during a 25-minute interview this afternoon in a campus dorm room.

Will it be cheers or jeers?

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10211/1076627-66.stm?cmpid=sports.xml&flv=1#ixzz0vEBty53X

wootawnee
07-30-2010, 11:50 PM
Now that is the real Ben talking.....I've been waiting for him to show up for you all....He finally is speaking straight from the heart.......Way to find yourself buddy........

polamalubeast
07-31-2010, 12:19 AM
Unfortunately, I am sure that Roethlisberger will be booed tomorrow.

He has made mistakes but he also made a lot of good for the steelers.

I'm sure he learned from his mistakes.

I will support Roethlisberger!

Go Ben!

stillers4me
07-31-2010, 06:51 AM
Steelers' Roethlisberger fears boos of fellow 'yinzers'
Saturday, July 31, 2010
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/images/201007/20100731steelers_500.jpg
Peter Diana/Post-Gazette
Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger arrives at training camp at St. Vincent College in Latrobe in a Mini Cooper yesterday.

As he drove toward Saint Vincent College Friday in a MINI Cooper, Ben Roethlisberger suddenly felt frightened. It wasn't the car, it wasn't the specter of the media horde awaiting him on campus, and it wasn't the impending arrival of NFL commissioner Roger Goodell next week.
The Steelers quarterback suddenly worried about the reaction fans would have toward him this afternoon when he takes the field for a public practice for the first time since a woman accused him of sexual assault in March.
"Driving up here today I was talking to my dad, and for the first time it hit me about what is about to happen and -- who knows? I got scared. I really did," Mr. Roethlisberger told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette during a 25-minute interview Friday afternoon in a campus dorm room............

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10212/1076672-66.stm#ixzz0vGAuJJJe

BlastFurnace
07-31-2010, 06:58 AM
Forgiven in my book.

stillers4me
07-31-2010, 06:59 AM
I hope everybody going to training camp today reads this article!

"I am hoping and praying that I get a warm reception. I hope people want to give me another chance and that they will give me that chance to prove to them ... It would tear me apart if [booing] happened at home. On the road we are used to it anyway. I can block that out; but it touches my heart because I love Pittsburgh. I'm a 'yinzer.' I don't say it, but I am a yinzer. I feel like they are home to me, they are family. So I feel like I let my family down through all of this, so that is why I hope family forgives."

While he has promised to change, to become again the person he says he was years earlier, he bemoaned the fact he could not tell his side of the story from the incident in Georgia......

Mr. Roethlisberger said he felt lowest about two weeks after the incident when he read and heard the charges being made against him by the woman and her friends but could not respond because of advice from his lawyers.
"I want to tell the truth, I wanted to tell my side and let everyone know what really happened," Mr. Roethlisberger said. "Because all you ever heard was her side of the story, and it was so out there, I mean ridiculously out there. People who know the truth were like, just shaking their head. I mean it was so ridiculous."

He made the news once since the end of spring practices June 10, when a woman who lived along an Ohio golf course accused him of urinating next to a tree. Others said it was not Mr. Roethlisberger, but someone else in his foursome. Police did not pursue it..........

That wasn't even me; that's the unfortunate part. You think you do everything right, and even if you are with somebody and they do something wrong or whatever, regardless, they see your name, and they think it is you. It's tough. I have been under a microscope, and that is just the way I have been living the last few months."

Thank you, Ed Bouchette, for a very revealing interview.

Iron Steeler
07-31-2010, 07:24 AM
the bullseyes on his back, but knowing the trend of short term memory of america they will forget about it as soon he plays 3 games or so. Like i said before no one seems to care anymore that Mike Vick killed dogs, or at lleast they are not expessing how much they care anymore

fansince'76
07-31-2010, 07:31 AM
On a side note, wow! Ben has really dropped some serious weight.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/images/201007/20100730pd_steelerscamp_02_330.jpg

BPS3akaWirels3
07-31-2010, 07:53 AM
I'll be cheering him on..

solardave
07-31-2010, 08:06 AM
Forgiven in my book.

To go a little further I think the fact that he admits it's a little scarey tells a bunch. It tells me WE mean something to him and I for one give him my full support. Welcome back Ben and here's to a stellar season.

siss
07-31-2010, 08:56 AM
http://www.steeluniverse.net/forums/showthread.php?1649-Interview-Big-Ben-seeking-forgiveness-and-a-chance-to-prove-himself
I posted this last night.

SteelerSal
07-31-2010, 09:27 AM
I hope everybody going to training camp today reads this article!

"I am hoping and praying that I get a warm reception. I hope people want to give me another chance and that they will give me that chance to prove to them ... It would tear me apart if [booing] happened at home. On the road we are used to it anyway. I can block that out; but it touches my heart because I love Pittsburgh. I'm a 'yinzer.' I don't say it, but I am a yinzer. I feel like they are home to me, they are family. So I feel like I let my family down through all of this, so that is why I hope family forgives."
While he has promised to change, to become again the person he says he was years earlier, he bemoaned the fact he could not tell his side of the story from the incident in Georgia......

Mr. Roethlisberger said he felt lowest about two weeks after the incident when he read and heard the charges being made against him by the woman and her friends but could not respond because of advice from his lawyers.
"I want to tell the truth, I wanted to tell my side and let everyone know what really happened," Mr. Roethlisberger said. "Because all you ever heard was her side of the story, and it was so out there, I mean ridiculously out there. People who know the truth were like, just shaking their head. I mean it was so ridiculous."

He made the news once since the end of spring practices June 10, when a woman who lived along an Ohio golf course accused him of urinating next to a tree. Others said it was not Mr. Roethlisberger, but someone else in his foursome. Police did not pursue it..........

That wasn't even me; that's the unfortunate part. You think you do everything right, and even if you are with somebody and they do something wrong or whatever, regardless, they see your name, and they think it is you. It's tough. I have been under a microscope, and that is just the way I have been living the last few months."

Thank you, Ed Bouchette, for a very revealing interview.

:applaudit: I am willing to forgive him for al lof his immaturity he has shown us since he has been a pro.
I think and hope Ben has finally become an adult.

stillers4me
07-31-2010, 09:27 AM
Sorry siss....I didn't see your post. The PG has a tendancy to change the headline on the same story.

siss
07-31-2010, 09:44 AM
"I am embarrassed to even for a second think that that was who I really was. On the field, that is one thing. You have to be that way. On the field you want to be the best [who] has ever played the game. But off the field you have to be a different person."
I kinda got teary eyed reading that quote.

I think this is the most honest and in-depth interview that Ben has ever given.

stillers4me
07-31-2010, 09:47 AM
I'm very anxious to see what happens........and how he reacts.

siss
07-31-2010, 09:50 AM
I am to.

Steelersfan
07-31-2010, 11:02 AM
Anyone that will "boo" Ben and still ridicules him (like the ONE business owner in Latrobe) is misinformed and has not looked at all the true facts. They are acting on perceptions only.

Viewing all the released video's of the accuser is all that's needed. It became my opinion that Ben was the one, not physically, BUT media raped.

It's up to him, to stay out of the way, of trouble the rest of his career, BUT for now, I stand behind him and support him.

I'm hoping someone in Steeler Nation that's going to camp, takes the sign of that business into their own hands. Hopefully, he'll be the only business in Latrobe that hears crickets instead of the cash register.

Killer
07-31-2010, 03:56 PM
stick it doubters

Roethlisberger was greeted by "huge cheers" as he walked to practice on Saturday.

"People went bananas as he walked to practice. No dissent among these fans," Judy Battista of the New York Times wrote on Twitter. "Women were screaming for him just like the men."

http://twitter.com/judybattista/status/20011204402

Soufjerzz
07-31-2010, 04:36 PM
The only thing that will guarantee "Cheers" and "Forgiveness" are W's.

salamander
07-31-2010, 05:30 PM
Ben is still a dumbass for what he did all those months ago but he is still the QB of the Pittsburgh Steelers and I will support and cheer him on.

And I'm glad to see that he dropped some weight. lol.

Craic
07-31-2010, 06:38 PM
Interesting.

Have I forgiven Ben? Nope. Why? Because Ben didn't do anything to me, so I have nothing to forgive him for.

I hope he has a good year this year. I hope, and think that this is the turning point in his life that he needed. I still would not allow a daughter of mine to be around him.

But there is nothing for me to "forgive".

As far as camp goes, I am not sure I like him coming in at the weight he is at right now. I have to wonder if that few extra pounds he was carrying actually helped him stay strong as the season wore on... gave his body both some cushion and something to feed on during the season. I keep thinking about Sean Mahan and how he said that he had lost over 20 pounds during the season-and don't want that to happen to Ben.

zulater
08-01-2010, 04:54 AM
Interesting.

Have I forgiven Ben? Nope. Why? Because Ben didn't do anything to me, so I have nothing to forgive him for.

I hope he has a good year this year. I hope, and think that this is the turning point in his life that he needed. I still would not allow a daughter of mine to be around him.

But there is nothing for me to "forgive".

As far as camp goes, I am not sure I like him coming in at the weight he is at right now. I have to wonder if that few extra pounds he was carrying actually helped him stay strong as the season wore on... gave his body both some cushion and something to feed on during the season. I keep thinking about Sean Mahan and how he said that he had lost over 20 pounds during the season-and don't want that to happen to Ben.

Ben didn't have much trouble injury wise his first couple seasons playing at the weight he looks to be at now. Outside of Castillo doing a header into his knee he proved to be durable at that weight.

As far as letting a daughter hang out with Ben, I think he pretty much gives as he gets. If you your daughter wasn't boozing in a club trying to play up to Ben I'm pretty sure her experience with him would be pretty benign. It's just my guess, but I think Ben probably has had his fill of people who look to get something for nothing from him when he goes out, Here take a picture with me, or want to be seen hugging Ben, or give me an autograph etc...
Anyway he needs to act better towards people in public, but that being said I've got a feeling a lot of the people who had a bad experience with Ben probably had it coming to them.

HometownGal
08-01-2010, 05:30 AM
Ben looks phenomenal and I'm pleased as punch to read that he seems to have realized the negative direction his life had been going in. He has my support 100%. :drink:

SirHulka
08-02-2010, 02:26 AM
It's America, and everyone deserves a second chance. (Well, almost everyone. I'm pretty sure I'd never trust a guy like Bernie Madoff) I hope he HAS learned a lesson, and has changed. Like I've said before, I'd rather hate him because he's the QB for the Steelers than hate him because he's a douchebag.

stillers4me
08-02-2010, 05:00 AM
It's America, and everyone deserves a second chance. (Well, almost everyone. I'm pretty sure I'd never trust a guy like Bernie Madoff) I hope he HAS learned a lesson, and has changed. Like I've said before, I'd rather hate him because he's the QB for the Steelers than hate him because he's a douchebag.

Hahahaha! I think I can live with that.

steeldawg
08-02-2010, 05:27 AM
this is my favorite part of the interview: Mr. Roethlisberger said he felt lowest about two weeks after the incident when he read and heard the charges being made against him by the woman and her friends but could not respond because of advice from his lawyers.

He also labeled the sexual assault accusations in a civil suit filed by a Nevada woman the year before as "ridiculous."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10211/1076627-66.stm?cmpid=sports.xml&flv=1#ixzz0vRWiHJp9

SirHulka
08-02-2010, 08:00 AM
This is where I have trouble with the whole thing. He's not admitting he did ANYTHING wrong. If he'd come out and say "I screwed up. I made a mistake and did something I shouldn't have" then I'd feel differently. I'm not saying he was completely wrong, but he seems to be saying he was completely innocent. I just can't buy that. If he wants to tell the truth, why doesn't he? What's holding him back? It's a red flag. Like I said, he deserves a second chance (or third?) but I'm still not quite convinced he's really contrite about the whole thing.

siss
08-02-2010, 08:08 AM
This is where I have trouble with the whole thing. He's not admitting he did ANYTHING wrong. If he'd come out and say "I screwed up. I made a mistake and did something I shouldn't have" then I'd feel differently. I'm not saying he was completely wrong, but he seems to be saying he was completely innocent. I just can't buy that. If he wants to tell the truth, why doesn't he? What's holding him back? It's a red flag. Like I said, he deserves a second chance (or third?) but I'm still not quite convinced he's really contrite about the whole thing.
Because he has an on going case in Nevada and a lawyer on that case who would like to see Ben go down in flames. Ben has to watch what he says until that case is solved.

SirHulka
08-02-2010, 08:33 AM
What does that case have to do with Georgia?

memphissteelergirl
08-02-2010, 08:34 AM
Great interview! :thumbsup:

Like the rest of you, I'm hoping and praying that Ben realizes the blessings he has in his life and from here on out does nothing to jeopardize that.

Go 7!! :applaudit:

siss
08-02-2010, 09:31 AM
What does that case have to do with Georgia?

Because her lawyer can say well look what happened in Georgia. He did it to her, and he did it to my client.

SirHulka
08-03-2010, 01:30 AM
Because her lawyer can say well look what happened in Georgia. He did it to her, and he did it to my client.

But if he didn't do anything wrong in Georgia, her lawyer would have no basis to even mention Georgia. I can only think of two reasons he won't tell "his side of the story". Either he DID do something wrong, which will hurt his case in Nevada, or he bought the girl off, and part of the agreement was to not say anything.

I don't think he'll do anything really stupid during the season, so I think the suspension will be reduced. The REAL test comes during the off-season.

siss
08-03-2010, 09:14 AM
But if he didn't do anything wrong in Georgia, her lawyer would have no basis to even mention Georgia. I can only think of two reasons he won't tell "his side of the story". Either he DID do something wrong, which will hurt his case in Nevada, or he bought the girl off, and part of the agreement was to not say anything.

I don't think he'll do anything really stupid during the season, so I think the suspension will be reduced. The REAL test comes during the off-season.His lawyers have told him not to tell his side until after the Nev. Stop reading more into it then necessary