PDA

View Full Version : Most overrated Steeler.

zulater
01-28-2013, 11:17 AM
Simple question. Who's the most overrated Steeler and why? Or maybe you don't think any Steelers are overrated? You're allowed to give that anser too.

salamander
01-28-2013, 11:24 AM
That's a tough one because each of those players tends to get hurt every season at some point.

st33lersguy
01-28-2013, 11:46 AM
That was tough, I went with Kevin Colbert who simply hasn't produced recently in the draft. There are too few young players of the future that can step up when the older players retire or get injured, 2008 may have been the worst draft class in team history, and 2009 wasn't much better. Tomlin was a very close 2nd, who comes across as very soft and very weak when dealing with issues

steelreserve
01-28-2013, 11:56 AM
Woodley. It's not even fair. Maybe I'd be all right with him 15 or 20 years ago as an OK player who happens to be overpaid, but in the era of the salary cap, the size of your contract matters A LOT. The production we're getting out of him for that amount of money is just inexcusable, and it's going to completely screw up our cap situation for at least 2 or 3 more years. It may be the worst contract in the history of the Pittsburgh Steeelers.

edit: I guess Colbert deserves some of the blame for it then, but you can only vote for one.

zulater
01-28-2013, 12:03 PM
Woodley. It's not even fair. Maybe I'd be all right with him 15 or 20 years ago as an OK player who happens to be overpaid, but in the era of the salary cap, the size of your contract matters A LOT. The production we're getting out of him for that amount of money is just inexcusable, and it's going to completely screw up our cap situation for at least 2 or 3 more years. It may be the worst contract in the history of the Pittsburgh Steeelers.

Uh no. Kordell Stewart and his 27 million dollar extension in 1999 remains the leader in the clubhouse on that one.

NJarhead
01-28-2013, 12:18 PM
Mike Wallace. He's never lived up to potential and he has no excuse that I'm aware of.
Doesn't mean I don't like him.

zulater
01-28-2013, 12:34 PM
Mike Wallace. He's never lived up to potential and he has no excuse that I'm aware of.
Doesn't mean I don't like him.

That was a bad ommision on my part. Rashard Mendenhall too. :huh:

But truthfully I originally had them included in the poll and replaced them. The reason being twofold. One I don't anticipate either remaining a Steeler. And two, I didn't really see them as overrated in the sense that most Steeler fans don't hold either in very high regard to begin with. Or at least that's pretty much been the case since the start of the 2012 season.

Of course I suppose the same could be said for Woodley, and I included him, so yeah I was dumb! :doh:

NJarhead
01-28-2013, 01:40 PM
That was a bad ommision on my part. Rashard Mendenhall too. :huh:

But truthfully I originally had them included in the poll and replaced them. The reason being twofold. One I don't anticipate either remaining a Steeler. And two, I didn't really see them as overrated in the sense that most Steeler fans don't hold either in very high regard to begin with. Or at least that's pretty much been the case since the start of the 2012 season.

Of course I suppose the same could be said for Woodley, and I included him, so yeah I was dumb! :doh:

Woodley has been dominant and I think he will again. He had conditioning issues and his performace also depends on the LDE (Z. Hood) who is also a bit of an underachiever.

Mendy, hmmmm. Obviously he didn't produce, but I think I'd still give the edge to Wallace in being overrated. Again, I like them both. Just disappointed.

atlsteelers
01-28-2013, 01:40 PM
i voted for pouncey. the o-line stinks and he is the anchor of the o-line. i still like the kid though.

Shoes
01-28-2013, 01:49 PM
At the risk of being run out of town I'll have to go with Colbert. He has enjoyed years of praise for his good pick, but he needs to take a good look in the mirror over the bad ones, imo. Bad picks and to make it worse he cut's the players he drafted. Tomlin is running neck and neck with Colbert. Too much talk and runs an undisciplined ship. This year should show what Tomlin is really made of.

Dwinsgames
01-28-2013, 02:01 PM
I want to vote for 4 of them ....

Colbert . Tomlin , Troy and Woodley

- - - Updated - - -

then again ....

Santonio Holmes
WR
Ohio State

Anthony Smith
DB
Syracuse

Willie Reid
WR
Florida State

Willie Colon
G
Hofstra

Orien Harris
DT
Miami (FL)

Omar Jacobs
QB
Bowling Green

Charles Davis
TE
Purdue

Marvin Philip
C
California

Cedric Humes
RB
Virginia Tech

Rashard Mendenhall
RB
Illinois

Limas Sweed
WR
Texas

Bruce Davis
LB
UCLA

Tony Hills
T
Texas

Dennis Dixon
QB
Oregon

Mike Humpal
LB
Iowa

Ryan Mundy
DB
West Virginia

Ben Roethlisberger
QB
Miami (OH)

Ricardo Colclough
DB
Tusculum

Max Starks
T
Florida

Nathaniel Adibi
DE
Virginia Tech

Bo Lacy
T
Arkansas

Matt Kranchick
TE
Penn State

Drew Caylor
C
Stanford

Eric Taylor
DT
Memphis

lots of thrown away picks that could have helped this team over the years

Pristas
01-28-2013, 02:13 PM
I went with other, and chose Ziggy Hood. The fact that he's going to lose out to Heyward this year is inexcusable.

This is Tomlin's worst year as a HC, but I think he will have time to right the ship. Colbert missed a few, but whose to say he wasn't heavily influenced by others in that draft room. Ben should not even be on this list. Troy, when healthy is still very good. I think it's laughable that an injured Harrison is still better than a healthy Woodley. He's been pretty pathetic too. Wallace and Mendenhall? who cares? good bye, and don't let the door hit you in the ass on your way out.

Bluecoat96
01-28-2013, 02:18 PM
Garrett Giermont, the strength and conditioning coach.

NJarhead
01-28-2013, 02:18 PM
I went with other, and chose Ziggy Hood. The fact that he's going to lose out to Heyward this year is inexcusable.

I agree he's underachieved, but I don't think he's hyped either. Unless you're looking at the fact that he was a 1st rounder.

Edman
01-28-2013, 02:21 PM
The WoodenDong, sadly. It's sad, because I like him.

A streaky splash player at best. Piles up tons of sacks, but hasn't been a bigtime player in a long, LONG while.

steelreserve
01-28-2013, 02:43 PM
Uh no. Kordell Stewart and his 27 million dollar extension in 1999 remains the leader in the clubhouse on that one.

Maybe in terms of value for performance, I'll give you that (although Woodley's has been pretty pitiful since he signed his big deal). But IIRC it didn't do anything nearly as bad to screw up our cap situation. Woodley's is just atrocious in that respect, and just watch - it's about to get even worse.

crcsnail
01-28-2013, 04:11 PM
I voted Woodley . Massive under achievement this year .

Steeldude
01-28-2013, 04:24 PM
I think most know my pick

Count Steeler
01-28-2013, 04:26 PM
For the contract that he has, Woodley needs a serious kick in the ass and some good stretching exercises. Has to drop at least 20 pounds would help as well.

steeldawg
01-28-2013, 04:29 PM
is that career wise or just from last season?

JayC
01-28-2013, 05:22 PM
lamarr woodley without a doubt. he was good when he came in the league but after the cardinals superbowl it's be all downhill. i wish we could replace him.

zulater
01-28-2013, 06:24 PM
is that career wise or just from last season?

It can be whatever you want it to be.

As for me I went strictly with last season, and I went with Tomlin. Losing to too many bad teams, and too many penalties is reflective of a poorly prepared team in my opinion. Cowher had the same sort of season in 2006. So I'm not saying Tomlin is a bad coach. Just that he had a bad year, and never ever do you hear a questioning word aimed at Tomlin from the press. Thus I find him to be overrated.

Count Steeler
01-28-2013, 06:28 PM
Kashif Moore.

Shoes
01-28-2013, 06:45 PM
Kashif Moore.

:toofunny:

Dwinsgames
01-28-2013, 07:08 PM
still say it has to be Colbert 19 wasted selections ( many of them high round picks ) in just those 3 drafts above and of those 3 drafts just 5 players with meaningful contributions out of the 24 selection ....

Count Steeler
01-28-2013, 07:11 PM
still say it has to be Colbert 19 wasted selections ( many of them high round picks ) in just those 3 drafts above and of those 3 drafts just 5 players with meaningful contributions out of the 24 selection ....

And the salary cap issues we have. Colbert is a worthy contender.

SteelGhost
01-28-2013, 08:00 PM
Garrett Giermont, the strength and conditioning coach.

I agree. Colbert And Tomlin are not clean though. For players the obvious pick is Lamarr

Psycho Ward 86
01-28-2013, 09:42 PM
And the salary cap issues we have. Colbert is a worthy contender.

Uh...khan is the money man.

technically it is yet to seen if omar khan's work with our finances is overrated or not (this is a defining season where we'll find out if his restructures and whatnot are going to bite us in the ass), but omar khan should be listed up there. And yes, so should wallace and mendenhall.

steelreserve
01-29-2013, 04:12 AM
Khan is the negotiator, but Colbert is the guy who decides who to sign. It's not like Colbert says "go re-sign Woodley whatever it takes" and Khan can say no.

Having said that, I think Khan has backed our asses straight into a huge corner with all the restructures and funny money, hoping we'd win another Super Bowl within the couple year window and it would look like genius. But instead we haven't and it hasn't. Now it looks like we're keeping it up for another year or two until the current team disbands, which to me seems like we're the guy at the poker table who used to be up big and is now going all-in on a pair of 9s.

43Hitman
01-29-2013, 06:58 AM
I voted for Woodley but after reading some of the evidence provided, I could easily change my vote to Colbert. When you see all those draft picks stacked up like that its rather eye opening.