PDA

View Full Version : Which was the best of the Steelers’ Super Bowl teams?

SteelerEmpire
01-27-2013, 10:48 AM
I notice the old school Steelers' team philosophy was 'try' to win every game during the regular season, and then 'try' to win every game in the post season (aka what 'Dynasties' have always done). Not contemporary Steelers teams, it's; "don't even begin to play hard until the middle of the season, barely make the playoffs, and then play the best you can in the playoffs. Unfortunately, this current group of Steelers does not even possess the ability to perform the later strategy anymore.

--------------

Terry Bradshaw threw a career-high 28 touchdown passes on a team that lost only twice all season by a combined 10 points. The defense — arguably the best of all time — outsacked the opposition nearly 2-1.

LINK: http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/3358755-74/team-bowl-super#axzz2JC7z0jk7

polamalubeast
01-27-2013, 10:57 AM
Best team?....1978 easy

oneforthetoe
01-27-2013, 02:19 PM
Best team?....1978 ea best of the Steel curtainsy

Best team was indeed 78. The heyday of the defense was probably in the mid 70's, but by 78 the d was still good and offense had become lethal.

zulater
01-28-2013, 10:15 AM
75 was really good too. I would say that team was every bit as good as the 78 team.

SteelerEmpire
01-28-2013, 10:31 AM
Here's another difference from 70's teams contrasted to todays (or the 2000's teams). In addition to my observation in the 1st block of this post, we all know that the 2000's teams consistently "plays down" to their competition and frequently loses to them, not the 70's Steelers:

Quote: During the period of the Steelers' playoff run of the '70s, 1972 through '79, their record against teams that eventually finished the season below .500 was -- get ready -- 50-1. They simply did not lose to the bad teams. They were bullies, tough guys. A dynasty.

LINK: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/inside_game/dr_z/news/2003/02/21/drz_mailbag/

Steeldude
01-28-2013, 04:27 PM
Here's another difference from 70's teams contrasted to todays (or the 2000's teams). In addition to my observation in the 1st block of this post, we all know that the 2000's teams consistently "plays down" to their competition and frequently loses to them, not the 70's Steelers:

Quote: During the period of the Steelers' playoff run of the '70s, 1972 through '79, their record against teams that eventually finished the season below .500 was -- get ready -- 50-1. They simply did not lose to the bad teams. They were bullies, tough guys. A dynasty.

LINK: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/inside_game/dr_z/news/2003/02/21/drz_mailbag/

And now the Steelers struggle against the weakest teams. It would be nice to see the Steelers crush every weak team they come across next season. Unfortunately, the Steelers might be one of the weak teams next year. We will have to wait and see what pans out in terms of the draft, salary cap and FA acquisitions.

Count Steeler
01-28-2013, 04:31 PM
And now the Steelers struggle against the weakest teams. It would be nice to see the Steelers crush every weak team they come across next season. Unfortunately, the Steelers might be one of the weak teams next year. We will have to wait and see what pans out in terms of the draft, salary cap and FA acquisitions.

Preacher's 3 year cycle has us back in the playoffs next year, but with the issues that face this team, I think the cycle is going to be broken. Of course we have to wait until everything is dealt with and the draft is done, before we can fully see where we are going to be, but the trend is definitely downward.

tube517
01-28-2013, 07:27 PM
75 was really good too. I would say that team was every bit as good as the 78 team.

The '75 team had the better defense. The '78 team had a better overall offense.

oneforthetoe
01-28-2013, 10:36 PM
The '75 team had the better defense. The '78 team had a better overall offense.

True. Terry Bradshaw was so much on top of his game by 78. I think the better qb play is the difference between the two.

oneforthetoe
01-28-2013, 11:04 PM

Two big differences between now and then: First, before free agency and influx of cash to the NFL from the huge tv contracts of today, there were a number of teams that were almost bereft of talent. Second, you could physically intimidate weaker teams back then. Now any physical intimidation will likely bring about a fine from NFL and, of course, an extra draft pick for the Pats.

polamalubeast
01-28-2013, 11:25 PM

Right now,the steelers are not perfect,but they are the only team with 3 super bowl apparence since 2005