PDA

View Full Version : RBs weren't as good as expected

Count Steeler
01-27-2013, 06:39 AM
Twice in the last few years, the Steelers have entered an offseason with a stated goal of improving their running attack. The first time it was more about scheme. This time it’s more about the personnel.

When the Steelers left Saint Vincent College late last August, they thought they had the potential for a solid running attack, and some of their optimism centered around what seemed to be good depth at running back.

Rashard Mendenhall was ahead of schedule in his return from a torn ACL, Jonathan Dwyer had reported to camp in shape – finally – and had averaged 5.3 yards per carry through the preseason, Isaac Redman looked like a better version of his 2011 self when he was a reliable alternative for any situation, Baron Batch seemed to be progressing after a year on the injured reserve list, and rookie Chris Rainey had dynamic speed and was lightning with the ball in his hands.

When the Steelers left Heinz Field following a win over the Cleveland Browns on Dec. 30 that allowed them to escape the season at .500, their view of the running game was decidedly less rosy.

“The season Rashard had was not what we would have hoped for,” said Steelers President Art Rooney II when asked for his assessment. “Obviously, we knew he was coming back from an injury so there were some unknowns there. So, without getting into the real specifics with Rashard, it’s fair to say that we are going to need a better performance out of the running back position if we’re going to be successful, Whether it’s Rashard or Jonathan or Isaac or somebody else, we have to be better at that position, as well as others, but certainly at that position. In this offseason that’s something we’ve got to look at and decide how we get better and who we get better with.”

Dwyer ended up leading the Steelers in rushing with 623 yards on 156 carries, which worked out to a 4.0 average, and he also scored two touchdowns. That was the lowest team-leading rushing total since 1991 when Merril Hoge posted 610 yards on 165 carries (3.7 average) to go along with two touchdowns. Not coincidentally, the Steelers didn’t make the playoffs in 1991 either, and in fact finished at 7-9.

“I am disappointed that we weren’t more consistent running the football,” said Rooney. “It’s strange because we did have games where we had good success and against good teams on occasion. So I can’t say that I have the answers but I think, again, everybody in this building agrees (the running game) is a place we’ve got to get better, and we’ve got to figure out what we need to do to get better. It’s something that I think for the Pittsburgh Steelers to be successful, (the running game) has to be one of the foundations, and so we’ve got to figure that out.”

read more @ http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/RBs-werent-as-good-as-expected/5ddf1d29-805c-4152-9224-472ca5de4286

GBMelBlount
01-27-2013, 07:37 AM
Nice read.

We averaged 4.5 ypc last year with the same personnel.

I do not think Personnel is the main problem.

salamander
01-27-2013, 09:37 AM
Maybe if the o-line would stay healthy for more than the first few games the running game would be better.

steeldawg
01-27-2013, 10:36 AM
Lol the mendenhall comments crack me up, rashard wasnt what we hoped for, lol what were we hoping for from 51 carries?

- - - Updated - - -

our running game sucked because our oline was hurt and we had jonathan dwyer and issac redman what did they think was going to happen?

SteelerFanInStl
01-27-2013, 12:08 PM
I'll be severely disappointed if we don't add some talent to this RB group in the off season. Yes, the OL was injured and had some issues but Dwyer and Redman are nothing more than complimentary backs. I'm sure that Mendy won't be back so we have to get someone who can be the #1 guy.

GBMelBlount
01-27-2013, 12:19 PM
LOL. Good thing we didn't jump off the bus the 4 seasons Bettis averaged LESS than 3.7 ypc.

Regardless, if there is a great value 3rd rounder or later...great...I am all for it.

Steeldude
01-27-2013, 02:54 PM
Lol the mendenhall comments crack me up, rashard wasnt what we hoped for, lol what were we hoping for from 51 carries?

- - - Updated - - -

our running game sucked because our oline was hurt and we had jonathan dwyer and issac redman what did they think was going to happen?

Thankfully Mendenhall will be gone. Dwyer and Redman did better than Mendenhall and they cost less.

Count Steeler
01-27-2013, 02:59 PM
I hope we don't burn an early pick for a RB. The game has changed. Time to use the pass to set up the run.

SteelerFanInStl
01-27-2013, 04:12 PM
Thankfully Mendenhall will be gone. Dwyer and Redman did better than Mendenhall and they cost less.

Both are free agents (restricted) and neither one of them is good enough to be a featured back.

I don't want to see an early round pick used on a RB but anything round 3 or later is good with me.

steeldawg
01-27-2013, 04:32 PM

they did better than the guy with 51 carries! great!!

Count Steeler
01-27-2013, 04:48 PM

Well, if he would get his head out of his ass, he surely would have had more carries. Injuries are one thing, brain farts are preventable.

steeldawg
01-27-2013, 04:54 PM
Well, if he would get his head out of his ass, he surely would have had more carries. Injuries are one thing, brain farts are preventable.

maybe but that doesnt make me excited for dwyer or redman as our starting running back.

Count Steeler
01-27-2013, 05:13 PM
maybe but that doesnt make me excited for dwyer or redman as our starting running back.

If our O Line is healthy, they will be fine, plus whatever they pick up in the offseason. We have a serious injury issue that needs to be addressed. Our O Line especially.

Steeldude
01-28-2013, 06:14 AM

We all know your criteria on grading players. You look for a good 40 time. Mendenhall was given his chance and he blew it. It's interesting how you give Mendenhall a chance, but not Dwyer or Redman.

GBMelBlount
01-28-2013, 07:15 AM
We all know your criteria on grading players. You look for a good 40 time. Mendenhall was given his chance and he blew it. It's interesting how you give Mendenhall a chance, but not Dwyer or Redman.

Mendenhall has one of the worst YAC's in the nfl.

Of course the O line is partially to blame.

His desperation to find a hole may be why he dry humped Ben.

Just sayin.

GodfatherofSoul
01-28-2013, 11:35 AM
Mendy has a mental problem, not a talent problem. Being benched 2 times is probably a death knell for his career here.