PDA

View Full Version : Chuck and Lefty

Shoes
01-26-2013, 07:34 PM
Do you think they will both get cut? I can see maybe keeping Chuck, but wouldn't be sorry to see them both go. Who else gets the ax?

st33lersguy
01-26-2013, 09:03 PM
Lefty probably will get cut. They will probably wait until the ageless Charlie Batch retires

SteelerFanInStl
01-26-2013, 10:08 PM
I'm also guessing that Lefty will be gone and Charlie will stick once again.

salamander
01-26-2013, 10:10 PM
Old man Batch keeps managing to find a way to stick around so it definitely wouldn't surprise me to see him back. Leftwich can go bye-bye.

GBMelBlount
01-26-2013, 10:11 PM
Keep Batch.

Why did they take Jerrod Johnson in the first place if they were going to cut him regardless.

Shoes
01-26-2013, 10:13 PM
Keep Batch.

Why did they take Jerrod Johnson in the first place if they were going to cut him regardless.

I still don't understand why they cut Johnson and kept Lefty.

st33lersguy
01-26-2013, 10:19 PM
I would find it extremely difficult to cut Batch seeing as how he almost always comes through for the Steelers when needed. Leftwich, whose body is more fragile than glass should be an easy cut

7willBheaven
01-27-2013, 01:05 PM
Seeing as how they are both FAs...they dont have to cut either, hahaha. Anyways I'd rather keep Charlie and bring in a young guy!

GBMelBlount
01-27-2013, 01:11 PM

Guess his 110 pre season passer rating just wasn't good enough. :grin:

Dwinsgames
01-27-2013, 01:50 PM
Lefty is gone , if Charlie does not stick then Randy Fichtner better watch his back because his job may be on the line ....

The time is now for drafting Bens eventual replacement and long term backup

Shoes
01-27-2013, 02:11 PM
Lefty is gone , if Charlie does not stick then Randy Fichtner better watch his back because his job may be on the line ....

The time is now for drafting Bens eventual replacement and long term backup

Who is there worthy to draft Dwin?

Dwinsgames
01-27-2013, 02:52 PM

depends on what your willing to part with by the way of draft picks to obtain one ...

I am stingy with my picks ( well if they where mine to part with ) and I look deep in the draft for guys who most represent similar qualities as Ben so the Offence does not need to change if / when the backup enters the game and it allows the Kid to learn behind a guy who plays in a similar fashion ...

but that is how I look at it , not everyone is me ( lucky for them LOL )

I like Sorenson , smaller school prospect who has a big arm but also is a high percentage passer who is a big kid and if given a year or two to learn behind Ben I think he could be a productive pro and at the same time not cost an arm and a leg in the way of draft picks ..... he is the sort of QB that could thrive learning from Ben , who can play the same style as Ben thus the game plan would remain rock steady if he had to play instead of changing the game plan of the entire team because of 1 guy not being able to play the same game ( like we do for Charlie and lefty when Ben goes down ) ...with the right mentoring and coaching I think this kid could be one of the better QBs to come out of this draft however his development will be at the hands of whomever gets him in the draft , great players often fail in this league due to the way they are handled by the teams that draft them and later round selections do not often get second chances once they are given up on by the drafting team so Yes he could flop out before he ever gets a real chance

but the investment is right at this point he is slated as being a 4th or 5th round pick but has as much or more upside ( In my opinion ) as any QB in this draft....

Earlier selection ( which I am hesitant to spend on a QB at this juncture ) I like Landry Jones but am leery of spending a second round pick on a QB when we have so many other needs to fill and Geno Smith would even be more costly and the cost is why I would not go there ( not talent level because clearly a talented kid )

Count Steeler
01-27-2013, 02:55 PM
I would suggest Chuck become a coach and Lefty get wrapped in bubble wrap and let him begin his life after football.

The draft class doesn't seem overly rich in QBs this year, so I would look for a vet that Haley can work into his system. Someone from his Arizona days or his KC days. And make sure they pass the "Lefty Glass Test". That is, he has to be able to play at least 2 games, back to back without getting injured. I also wouldn't mind if Jerrod Johnson came in for a year or 2, until there are better QBs to draft.

steelreserve
01-27-2013, 05:22 PM
How about this: Get rid of Leftwich, make Batch a coach, and bring in Johnson or some young guy to be the backup. Then if we get in deep shit like we did this year, sign Batch as a player and we don't have to waste a roster spot all season.

GBMelBlount
01-27-2013, 05:26 PM
How about this: Get rid of Leftwich, make Batch a coach, and bring in Johnson or some young guy to be the backup. Then if we get in deep shit like we did this year, sign Batch as a player and we don't have to waste a roster spot all season.

http://youtu.be/3DPKf7y1F-Q

katmandu
01-28-2013, 01:01 AM
I would suggest Chuck become a coach and Lefty get wrapped in bubble wrap and let him begin his life after football.You mean like this!

BTW, THIS is the future of the NFL ! LMAO!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=xIl45f6i1PU

86WARD
01-28-2013, 06:04 AM

Tyler Wilson
Matt Barkley
Mike Glennon
Landry Jones

If Tyler Wilson were there in the we ons round and they didn't take him, I'd be pissed...he shouldn't be around there though. He should be gone in the first. Early second at latest.

LLT
01-28-2013, 06:05 AM
I think its time to cut ties with both. Draft a QB, and bring in another via free agency.

I actually like Washingtons Jeff Tuel better than Sorenson, but admittedly am worried about durability. I have mentioned Illinois States Matt Brown, he has the size that scouts love... 6’4, 238... and the ideal size and build. If any of you watch tape on him....check out his release. Very quick, over the top release.

As far as free agents...we hae discussed it before and I think a QB like Jason Cambell is a great stop gap for a year or two behind Ben. I may even be interested in Drew Stanton or Tavaris Jackson.

86WARD
01-28-2013, 06:05 AM
Johnson is FAR from the answer. FAR from the answer...

86WARD
01-28-2013, 06:06 AM
I think its time to cut ties with both. Draft a QB, and bring in another via free agency.

I actually like Washingtons Jeff Tuel better than Sorenson, but admittedly am worried about durability. I have mentioned Illinois States Matt Brown, he has the size that scouts love... 6’4, 238... and the ideal size and build. If any of you watch tape on him....check out his release. Very quick, over the top release.

As far as free agents...we hae discussed it before and I think a QB like Jason Cambell is a great stop gap for a year or two behind Ben. I may even be interested in Drew Stanton or Tavaris Jackson.

Yes. Agree...except for Tarvaris. No thanks. Rather have Matt Cassell...lol.

LLT
01-28-2013, 06:14 AM

So would I ....just dont think its realistic.

Jackson is a pretty good QB. He just has the worst luck of any QB I have ever seen, he was ready to lead the Vikings and they picked up Favre....was traded to the Seahawks during the lockout and denied a preseason to learn the playbook....was injured, and when he recovered the Seahawks picked up Matt Flynn and Russel Wilson.

He has enough talent to warrant a look as a 2nd string backup....but again, if I had my druthers, I'd take Jason Campbell.

NJarhead
01-28-2013, 06:45 AM
Keep Batch.

I'm with you two on that one. I thought the kid deserved the chance to be coached and maybe remain on the PS.

- - - Updated - - -

Johnson is FAR from the answer. FAR from the answer...

Depends on the question. What question are you answering?

- - - Updated - - -

No effing way. Garbage QB.

Mojouw
01-28-2013, 11:35 AM
Matt Moore and a draft pick. What about going to the well one more time and taking Dysert out of Miami of Ohio?

Lefty can't stay healthy and Batch is done. I absolutely do not care about the Baltimore game. Batch can no longer (physically) direct a competent NFL offense. It is time for him to move on to coaching.

steelreserve
01-28-2013, 11:58 AM
Tyler Wilson
Matt Barkley
Mike Glennon
Landry Jones

If Tyler Wilson were there in the we ons round and they didn't take him, I'd be pissed...he shouldn't be around there though. He should be gone in the first. Early second at latest.

Typing on a cell phone, are we?

GodfatherofSoul
01-28-2013, 06:21 PM
I've been saying they're going to cut either Leftwich or Batch for years now and sign a "backup of the future." Never happens and I won't hazard a guess this year. Batch's reaction after the Ravens win was a sure bet to me that he was done, but I expect we would've heard an announcement by now.

Craic
01-28-2013, 06:30 PM
I've been saying they're going to cut either Leftwich or Batch for years now and sign a "backup of the future." Never happens and I won't hazard a guess this year. Batch's reaction after the Ravens win was a sure bet to me that he was done, but I expect we would've heard an announcement by now.

Exactly.

Up until last season I thought Batch should go and Lefty take his spot as the backup for the next half a decade. After this season, I think they both should go. Of course, who knows. Like you said, I've been expecting one of 'em to be cut for sometime now. With them being FA's however, and the cap issues we have, I think this may be year.

Count Steeler
01-28-2013, 06:36 PM
Somehow, I get the feeling that the FO is waiting for the SB to be over before they start making their moves. I think the coaching staff needs further fine tuning.

Batch and Lefty should not see the field in a Steelers uniform ever again. If that should happen, Colbert should be fired.

LLT
01-28-2013, 07:05 PM
Matt Moore and a draft pick. What about going to the well one more time and taking Dysert out of Miami of Ohio?

I like his mechanics...and understand that he overcame alot of adversity with changes in coaching staff. Just a little concerened about the simplified offence they ran at Miami of Ohio.

Craic
01-28-2013, 08:07 PM
I like his mechanics...and understand that he overcame alot of adversity with changes in coaching staff. Just a little concerened about the simplified offence they ran at Miami of Ohio.

A little concerned? Name me one QB that has even made it in the NFL, let alone made it big that came from that school.

Dwinsgames
01-28-2013, 08:24 PM
A little concerned? Name me one QB that has even made it in the NFL, let alone made it big that came from that school.

surely you jest

Count Steeler
01-28-2013, 08:29 PM

Well, there is the one that plays in the AFCN, but he is carried by a great defense and a once great running attack. Yeah, nothing good can come from Miami of Ohio.

Psycho Ward 86
01-28-2013, 09:31 PM

theres a first time for everything