PDA

View Full Version : Steelers' Everest embraces special challenge

stillers4me
05-31-2010, 09:12 AM
By Scott Brown
PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Friday, May 28, 2010
There is well traveled. Then there is Al Everest.
The Steelers' new special teams coordinator has a resume longer than a Monday, and it lists coaching stints with the Legnano (Italy) Frogs and Birmingham Barracudas, among others.
Everest actually enjoys coaching special teams, even though it can be a thankless job.
"I get to coach all of the players," Everest said. "It's really a beautiful job."

How well he does his new job will go a long way toward determining the length of Everest's latest stop.
Everett replaced Bob Ligashesky in January after breakdowns on the Steelers' kickoff coverage loomed large in the team missing the playoffs. If Everest is not able to coax better plays out of his coverage units, a lack of coaching experience won't be the cause.

Everest has coached in four different countries and on two different continents. He has worked primarily with special teams since 1995, and he oversaw those units with the Saints, Cardinals and 49ers.
Everest's work with the Saints in 2002 earned him the NFL Special Teams Coach of the Year. It also made an impression on a young assistant coach in Tampa Bay named Mike Tomlin.

The Saints beat the Buccaneers, eventual Super Bowl champions that season, twice in 2002. And while Everest has only seen the players he will try to mold into cohesive units in the fall practice in shorts, he is at least saying the right things.

"Bottom line is we'll be better," Everest said. "Effort and desire is a non-negotiable issue."
The bottom line was the issue last year for the Steelers as they yielded four kickoff returns for touchdowns, including ones in back-to-back losses to the Bengals and Chiefs in November.

Frustration got to the point where starters such as outside linebacker James Harrison volunteered to play special teams.
Following the season, Harrison said he would play special teams if the Steelers need. But he also said younger players need to re-establish the tradition of making their mark as special-teamers before graduating to the starting lineup.

"I feel like guys need to step in and do what is needed to win," Harrison said in late January.

When asked if a coach can make that a big difference in special teams, Harrison said: "Damn right he can."
It will be up to Everest to put players in the right position, and he has no illusion about what will happen if he is unable to do that.

Special teams coaches remain largely anonymous unless major mistakes are made on their units. The same fans that called for Ligashesky's firing during the 2009 season may forget that the Steelers were first in the NFL in kickoff coverage in 2008.

"I always say if there's 20 hostages, and you save 18, you're going to read about the two who got killed," Everest said, using an analogy that illustrates why special teams coaches generally don't stay with one team for long. "You're trying to avoid the big mistake, the TD returns. That takes personnel. That takes coaching.
"My coaching philosophy is: I'm here to help (the players) succeed. It's like being a parent. You don't want your children to fail. I think it's important I give them all the same respect, all the same teaching and then let it sort itself out."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_683394.html

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-31-2010, 10:18 AM
Now this is cool. Everest brings years of NFL experience and a resume of success. I'm all for giving a promising coach a chance, but Ligashesky had a couple years as a ST assistant in JAX, then 2 bad years as the ST coach in St. Louis. He was the wrong hire at the time and Everest is gonna have a much better coaches ST unit. I love it!!!!

stillers4me
05-31-2010, 10:21 AM
Now this is cool. Everest brings years of NFL experience and a resume of success. I'm all for giving a promising coach a chance, but Ligashesky had a couple years as a ST assistant in JAX, then 2 bad years as the ST coach in St. Louis. He was the wrong hire at the time and Everest is gonna have a much better coaches ST unit. I love it!!!!

I love the OL coach hire, too. Everest and Koogs, so far on paper, seem to know exactly what they were hired to do. Let's hope we see improvements from day one.

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-31-2010, 10:35 AM
I love the OL coach hire, too. Everest and Koogs, so far on paper, seem to know exactly what they were hired to do. Let's hope we see improvements from day one.

I was hoping for the Seahawks O line coach, but am happy with Kugler and his seeming to push his guys to play beyond the whistle. Coach Z's unit seemed to make their block and then watch the play go on. I think we are gonna see Koogs push his guys and push to keep his guys on the roster like Jon Scott, Chris Scott, etc. over guys like Hills and Essex.

steelpride12
05-31-2010, 10:58 AM

Just excited to see what they have up their sleeves and how much improved hopefully the OL and ST will be this season because of these hires!

polamalubeast
05-31-2010, 11:14 AM
Last year the steelers of ST were one of the worst in the history of the NFL.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5SYcl2q1Q8

:frusty::frusty::frusty::ranger:

vasteeler
05-31-2010, 12:13 PM
why , why why...did i watch that, now i need to go break something :smash:

solardave
05-31-2010, 01:13 PM
why , why why...did i watch that, now i need to go break something :smash:

I know. If you look up the word pathetic in the video dictionary they show that one.

kmsteelerwr15
05-31-2010, 01:20 PM
Just excited to see what they have up their sleeves and how much improved hopefully the OL and ST will be this season because of these hires!

Yeah I think they both will make HUGE differences for us.

stillers4me
05-31-2010, 01:27 PM
Yeah I think they both will make HUGE differences for us.

:wtf:
I would hate to think it could get worse.

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-31-2010, 02:03 PM
:wtf:
I would hate to think it could get worse. Things could always get worse. The special teams had good kickoff return stats and some good coverage games, but I think Ligs could not adapt to what other coordinators were doing in the first year without a 3 man wedge rule.

On the O line, they too had good games and looked OK, but again were inconsistent and seemed to lack the intensity. That was either from their leadership or the play situation. What so many fans fail to realize, is that when your O line is run blocking, they develop the attitude of the aggressor.....while in pass blocking, they have an attitude of being defensive.